Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind a decision like this (Ice Fang VS Dragon Claw) is simply up to personal choice and playstyle. They offer different strengths and have different weaknesses and it all comes down to the player decided which move to choose. There probably isn't a better choice in this case, which is fine because things would get boring fast if there was only one viable moveset.
Ability: Strong Jaw
Item: Life Orb
252 Att/252 Speed
Jolly
Rock Polish
Head Smash/Rock Slide
Ice Fang/ Thunder Fang/ Poison Fang/ Fire Fang/ Dragon Claw

This guy actually has a great ton of options available to him. Whatever your team struggles with, this guy can pack the appropriate move.

Curious, what are you guys breeding with Tyrunt to obtain the Elemental Fangs?

I don't see them entirely necessary bc a head smash/crunch/dragon claw/dragon dance is a viable moveset but I just want to open the options for myself if the metagame ends up needing the Fangs

Curious, what are you guys breeding with Tyrunt to obtain the Elemental Fangs?

I don't see them entirely necessary bc a head smash/crunch/dragon claw/dragon dance is a viable moveset but I just want to open the options for myself if the metagame ends up needing the Fangs
Arbok learns all three fangs (And you can breed Poison Fang onto it) and is in the Dragon group, so Arbok.

In my opinion, the two sets I would personally run on him would be a variation of the DD and Rock Polish set depending on what fits better on my team. A DD set would allow Tyrantrum to outspeed base 130's after a boost which is a crucial benchmark as many of you have noticed. This leaves him to be out run only by scarfers, Mega Manetric if that becomes thing, and the two base 150 megas, Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Alakazam. As long as you can get rid of those, this set packs more of a punch than the Rock Polish set. Here is what I would use:
Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
4HP/252Atk/252Spe
Ability: Rock Head(Assuming he gets it)
Jolly Nature
Dragon Dance
Head Smash
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
DD is obvious for the boost to speed which is crucial and the attack boosts makes him even more deadly. Head Smash becomes an absurdly powerful STAB while Dragon Claw can be used to kill dragons or when you don't want to risk a Head Smash miss. In addition Head Smash lets Tyrantrum get pass most Fairy types except those with Steel Typing such as Klefki and Mawile(both who fear EQ). It is interesting to note that Head Smash beats both Skarmory and Togekiss, something Garchomp cannot do with out being walled by the other(Stone Edge can beat Togekiss but not Scarmory while FireFang/FireBlast beat Skarmory but not Togekiss). Lastly Earthquake seems to be his best coverage move when not using Strong Jaw since it has the ability to beat out many steel types as significantly damage Aegislash without suffering the -2 from King's Shield.
On the other hand, a Rock Polish set can be used similarly with the added benefit of bypassing several scarfers at the cost of power making Tyrantrum a great late game sweeper. As someone mentioned this allows him to outspeed up to 111 base speed scarfers.
Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
4HP/252Atk/252Spe
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
Rock Polish
Head Smash
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Although the Strong Jaw sets on him look appealing and are by no means bad, I think passing up a recoiless Rock Head is not worth having essentially STAB on biting moves. Head Smash on a Strong Jaw set coupled with LO will make Tyrantrum take huge amounts of damage just from recoil which is why I am really hoping he gets Rock Head. Tyrantrum seems to be looking like a really nice Pokemon to use this gen, but in an OU setting he seems to have a very big enemy, Scizor. It doesn't matter how many DD or RP you get under you belt, Scizor will always be a pain for Tyrantrum especially the CB sets which and OHKO him. I see great offensive synergy between Tyrantrum and Magnezone more so than any other previous Dragon types. Although defensively they share two weaknesses, Magnezone's steel trapping abilities not only get rid of steels not weak to Earthquake such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory, but also discourage Scizor to not lock himself into Bullet Punch from fear of getting trapped and killed with HP Fire. (It is also important to note that although their defensive synergy is not the best, Tyrantrum is 4x resistant to fire which helps with Magnezone's fire weakness).

Tyrantrum would enjoy no recoil on Rock Head, I mean who wouldn't with its large recoil. But other than that I don't see how much more it can benefit from its ability. Its a massive benefit no doubt but compared to Strong Jaw which boosts the Fangs power for the better its going to be hard to choose which ability is best for it.

I do want to see this one Choice Banded. Its attack is pretty great already and with a Choice Band it can come out rock faster. But I suppose Rampardos is better at this than Tyrantrum would be.

Tyrantrum would enjoy no recoil on Rock Head, I mean who wouldn't with its large recoil. But other than that I don't see how much more it can benefit from its ability. Its a massive benefit no doubt but compared to Strong Jaw which boosts the Fangs power for the better its going to be hard to choose which ability is best for it.

I do want to see this one Choice Banded. Its attack is pretty great already and with a Choice Band it can come out rock faster. But I suppose Rampardos is better at this than Tyrantrum would be.
Like I said, his Strong Jaw still has its advantages like being able to use the Fangs for coverage but 50% recoil is a lot especially if you want to run Life Orb so I think Rock Head is equally good. I don't think one is better than the other but I think when it comes to using Head Smash, I would prefer Rock Head. It comes down to weather you want the element coverage from the fangs or the ability to use more Head Smashes. Strong Jaw with Head Smash does look good on a Choice Band set as it is more of a hit and run play style but I think for a DD or Rock Polish sweeper with LO Stone Edge could be used in order to stay alive longer after you set up. Also although Rampardos has an even stronger Head Smash than Tyrantrum, its speed and frailty make it really hard for him to ever pull one off, which isn't as big a problem for Tyrantrum as he is decently fast and a lot bulkier especially on the defensive side.

SinfulPanda69

Banned deucer.
It's kinda sad that his defining Strong Jaw ability is almost useless now with Rock Head... I don't understand why they did that. There needs to be a hidden biting move it can use to make it useful, but there probably isn't...

Also like I said in the Aurorus thread: these base stats are way too optimistic.

It's more like 85/120-125/120-125/75?/60/70 (70 speed is probably the highest likely). This would STILL give 530-540 BST, which seems a little more realistic.
It is the king, so 555 BST isn't too much. However, its special attack is definitely questionable. But then again, GF gave Shuckle, a multi-tailed worm which covered itself with spoiled berries, the highest defense stat

Last edited:
why would you use ice fang over stab dragon claw??

plus, recoiless head smash.
He has stab on Ice Fang too. He has stab on any biting move.

Ice Fang offers more coverage for some power loss. Dragon Claw only hits dragons. Ice Fang hits dragon, flying, grass, and ground types. And as said, with Thunder Fang it gives you BoltBeam. The Fangs also have secondary effects that Dragon Claw does not. He can even learn Poison Fang to hit fairies that would otherwise be a problem for him. Head Smash would probably yield similar results against fairies, but that recoil + LO is crippling.

He has stab on Ice Fang too. He has stab on any biting move.

Ice Fang offers more coverage for some power loss. Dragon Claw only hits dragons. Ice Fang hits dragon, flying, grass, and ground types. And as said, with Thunder Fang it gives you BoltBeam. The Fangs also have secondary effects that Dragon Claw does not. He can even learn Poison Fang to hit fairies that would otherwise be a problem for him. Head Smash would probably yield similar results against fairies, but that recoil + LO is crippling.
Although I agree with most stuff that you said, I believe the theorymoning with Head Smash is only happening because he gets Rock Head as a Hidden Ability, so there's not recoil associated with it.

Again, you could run normal EdgeQuake plus BoltBeam Fangs and have better coverage. Or you could Head Smash all the things. IMO, I prefer the versatility given by the BoltBeam Fangs.

The recoil damage is obscene. If at least it had perfect accuracy, I would give it a try, but it just defeats the purpose of Tyrantrum's decent physical bulk. Stone Edge might miss on the huge damage output, but if that means I will not kill myself after a Mach Punch, so be it.

Do those sets survive a Bullet Punch from a CB Scizor ?
To survive that he'd need 96 defense EVs (it'll do 83.3% - 99%). Didn't try with HP EVs.
[so no, he wouldn't survive with any of the posted sets, unless they invested in HP/Def]

I think it'd be better to just have a 'Mon that takes BP with ease and can threaten Scizor with something. I've started using physically bulky Chandelure with Flame Body for that. It doesn't care about U-Turns or BPes (or even Superpower) at all and you can leave him burned. Works great against flinch Jirachi too, those 2 always gave me trouble so it was really nice to have it.

I'm actually really liking the potential coverage this guy could provide as a late game sweeper. The fangs allows you to cover weaknesses possessed by your other team members.

Ability: Strong Jaw
252 Att/252 Speed
Jolly
Rock Polish
Head Smash/Rock Slide

This guy actually has a great ton of options available to him. Whatever your team struggles with, this guy can pack the appropriate move.
This is essentially the set I think. As a late game sweeper on a sun team, I'd be tempted to grab Fire Fang for when the sun is out. That said, Thunder Fang and Ice Fang cover almost all weaknesses I could potentially face. I'd almost be tempted to take 3 Fangs and Rock Polish.

Having played with Tyrantrum a bit I can safely say Dragon STAB on this thing is a fools errand it serves absolutely no purpose other then making it a inferior Haxorus.

Strong Jaw is absolutely fantastic turning the normally useless elemental fang's into potent physical attacks, Tyrantrum has a massive case of 4MSS. Especially with a DD set, Rock STAB is required leaving only two move slots where Crunch, EQ or any of the 3 elements are all equally viable, Tyrantrum is basically what Electivire always wanted to be but never could achieve.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Having played with Tyrantrum a bit I can safely say Dragon STAB on this thing is a fools errand it serves absolutely no purpose other then making it a inferior Haxorus.

Strong Jaw is absolutely fantastic turning the normally useless elemental fang's into potent physical attacks, Tyrantrum has a massive case of 4MSS. Especially with a DD set, Rock STAB is required leaving only two move slots where Crunch, EQ or any of the 3 elements are all equally viable, Tyrantrum is basically what Electivire always wanted to be but never could achieve.
Strong Jaw is really not that useful on a Pokemon that gets STAB recoil-free Head Smash. A neutral STAB Head Smash has 225 BP while super effective Strong Jaw-boosted elemental fangs have 194 BP. Even super effective Strong Jaw Crunch has 240 BP, just a bit more than neutral Head Smash. So, Head Smash is actually better to deal with Pokemon such as Skarmory, Jellicent, Celebi, etc. Furthermore, Pokemon that are 4x weak to one of the elemental fangs don't even need the Strong Jaw boost to go down after one Dragon Dance or Choice Band boost. Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Forretress, etc, are all OHKOed by +1 Fire Fang / Ice Fang, with either Life Orb or Expert Belt and an Adamant nature (on Dragon Dance sets obviously). So the only use for Strong Jaw is to deal with Hippowdon and Keldeo, the only OU Pokemon that resist Rock and are hit super effective by Ice and Electric, respectively.

Last edited:
Strong Jaw is really not that useful on a Pokemon that gets STAB recoil-free Head Smash. A neutral STAB Head Smash has 225 BP while super effective Strong Jaw-boosted elemental fangs have 194 BP. Even super effective Strong Jaw Crunch has 240 BP, just a bit more than neutral Head Smash. So, Head Smash is actually better to deal with Pokemon such as Skarmory, Jellicent, Celebi, etc. Furthermore, Pokemon that are 4x weak to one of the elemental fangs don't even need the Strong Jaw boost to go down after one Dragon Dance or Choice Band boost. Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Forretress, etc, are all OHKOed by +1 Fire Fang / Ice Fang, with either Life Orb or Expert Belt and an Adamant nature. So the only use for Strong Jaw is to to deal with Hippowdon and Keldeo, the only OU Pokemon that resist Rock and are hit super effective by Ice and Electric, respectively.
I see... I just didn't want Tyrantrum to be one of those "Press this button to destroy everything lol" Pokemon. It seems anything with Rock Head Head Smash is just better off not doing anything else other than Rock Head Head Smashing. Makes sense, but it makes me kind of sad to use something so very uninteresting.

I see... I just didn't want Tyrantrum to be one of those "Press this button to destroy everything lol" Pokemon. It seems anything with Rock Head Head Smash is just better off not doing anything else other than Rock Head Head Smashing. Makes sense, but it makes me kind of sad to use something so very uninteresting.
Aggron called, he's better with sturdy.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Aggron is not better with Sturdy, it's useless with Sturdy (in OU it's useless with any ability, but this is besides the point). In the tier where Aggron is actually a significant threat, RU, Rock Head is always the ability of choice. STAB Rock Head Head Smash is just too good to pass up, it's just as nikovan said.

Aggron is not better with Sturdy, it's useless with Sturdy (in OU it's useless with any ability, but this is besides the point). In the tier where Aggron is actually a significant threat, RU, Rock Head is always the ability of choice. STAB Rock Head Head Smash is just too good to pass up, it's just as nikovan said.
Last post I'm doing on Aggron because this is supposed to be the Tyrantrum discussion thread.

I could see you carry Sturdy Aggron to ensure you Rocks go up, but that'd be the only reason. It is too slow to abuse that last 1 hp to put a hurt on anything else, while a scarfed or Autotomized variant with Rock Head could outspeed something and deal brutal STAB Head Smash damage to anything. I still don't like that speed and those weaknesses, Aggron is just not good enough.

Also although Rampardos has an even stronger Head Smash than Tyrantrum, its speed and frailty make it really hard for him to ever pull one off, which isn't as big a problem for Tyrantrum as he is decently fast and a lot bulkier especially on the defensive side.
Okay just think of Tyrantrum the same way people think of Malamar being Spinda 2.0 it is Rampardos 2.0. It has better bulk, better HeadSmash abusing (assuming Rock Head is true), and slightly better typing. However, yes they are virtually the same and if you have used Rampardos in NU before then you can judge what set you'd want to use Tyrantrum with. What SheerForcepardos does, StrongJawtrum does (albiet better); Moldbreakerpardos, and Rockheadtrum. So just go from there...thats how ill do it at least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)