Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree that his best use is probably in Trick Room. You can get his speed up with Nature, EVs, and Rock Polish and then risk someone gibbing you with priority before you can do anything with your setup, or you can have someone else set up for him and then switch in to wreak havoc without staying in danger for any longer than the initial switch in. I'd rather have the latter, honestly.

I have to agree that his best use is probably in Trick Room. You can get his speed up with Nature, EVs, and Rock Polish and then risk someone gibbing you with priority before you can do anything with your setup, or you can have someone else set up for him and then switch in to wreak havoc without staying in danger for any longer than the initial switch in. I'd rather have the latter, honestly.
Except priority still gibbs him.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Man his speed and special defense stat are so disappointing
His speed is in a perfect range for Dragon Dance while Sandstorm bolsters his Defense. He is essentially DD Tyranitar 2.0. STAB Head Smashes will deal a pile of damage to even the most dedicated defensive walls. While speed outpaces the equivalent of a base 130s.

Base 71 is actually pretty fast for Trick Room. 71 outspeeds most things that it needs to. Come in smash with CB or set up on something as the fearsome Head Smash is bound to force switches. Tyrantrum's main problem no matter how it sets up (agility, DD, or Trick Room) is that it is susceptible to Bullet Punch, Mach Punches and Aqua Jet coming from what will be some of the most common pokemon in the OU tier. Oh also Dragon Claw sucks

Tooth and Stone
Ability:
Rock Head
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Item: Babiri Berry
Moveset:
-Head Smash
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance

If Tyrantrum does eventually drop he will undoubtably decimate the lower tiers as the power creep decreases.

Last edited:
- Choice Band Azumarill
Aqua Jet - 30.8% - 36.6%

Tyrant take it pretty well
Seems incredibly unlikely. Did you factor in Huge Power?

EDIT: Oh, right. Rock/Dragon. Aqua Jet isn't really a thing, since it's neutral. Try Bullet Punch from Scizor?

Last edited:
Hey, I was using this guy in the battle maison and he carried me far. but not on either of the above sets try this one

Item: Assualt Vest
Ability: Strong Jaw
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 ATK, 126 HP, 63 DEF, 63 S.DEF
Attacks:
Crunch
Dragon Claw
Head Smash/Stone Edge
Earthquake

Strategy:
This set is about being bulky enough to stand up to attacks but hit hard back. The assualt vest boosts his S.Def but he cant set up for anything, but a solid baton passer can make up for that. playing him in a sandstorm makes him even better for surviving special hits. His speed is not great here, or even touched upon, but you could sacrifice hp for speed evs. If you like what you see here, try it. it works pretty nice.

How about Tailwind TalonFlame + LO/Banded Tyrantrum
In honesty, Gale Wing Tailwing is going to REALLY effect some ares of meta game. Just giving all TalonFlamesflying moves prioty is pretty nice. but I feel his lack lustre Sp.def needs that vest, which is a nice addition to the game in my opinion.

I can confirm Tyrantrum gets Rock Head. I was in game doing the battle test where my lead (Trace Gardevoir) traced Tyrantrums Rock Head. I then proceeded to get sweeped as I am sure it was Adamant and Scarfed. (Outsped and OHKO'd my team, including an un boosted Adamant Blaziken).
Do you have a picture, or a video, or any other proofs? I really would like Tyrantrum to have Rock Head, so I just want to make sure. If not, I'm sorry to ask this, can you try it again and take a picture or video this time? Pretty please.

From the damage calculations, it looks like CB Scizor doesn't quite OHKO this thing with Bullet Punch. How much damage would CB Head Smash and LO Fire Fang deal to Scizor in return? Sure, you'd lose your Tyrantrum, but they'd lose their Scizor in return.

From the damage calculations, it looks like CB Scizor doesn't quite OHKO this thing with Bullet Punch. How much damage would CB Head Smash and LO Fire Fang deal to Scizor in return? Sure, you'd lose your Tyrantrum, but they'd lose their Scizor in return.
I can tell you that some of the predicted base stats for Tyrantrum here are wrong, particularly the HP and SpAtk stat. Judging from my level 100 in game Tyrantrum, it is impossible for him to have 95 base HP and 80 base SpAtk as mine stats in these two are lower than the minimum values for these stats. I think Serebii's stats of HP:82 and SpAtk 69 are more accurate in which case Scizor has a 50% chance to OHKO it with Bullet Punch and Choice Band. Tyrantrum in exchange can OHKO with Fire Fang assuming he has Strong Jaw but needs LO, CB, or a DD boost to do it with Rock Head. This is assuming a Jolly nature, I think Adamant would get the KO regardless but I didn't run the calcs for that so I'm not 100% sure.
If you want the values of my Tyrantrum they are 280/325/274/146/135/223, neutral nature, EV's are 4HP 252Atk 252Spe, not sure exact IV's except that they are decent all round with a Def that "Can't be Beat" or something like that according to the IV judge. Either way a 95HP Stat and a 80SpAtk Stat reach a minimum of 300 and 165 respectively in these stats meaning this is not possible judging from my Tyrantrum. However the rest of the stats here all seem plausible.

liveslowdiefast(Tyrantrum) @ Life orb/Dragon fang/Lum Berry/Rock Gem/Stone Plate/
Potential OU Spread EVs: 216 Spd / 252 Atk / 40 HP
Potential UU Spread EVs: 184 Spd / 252 Atk / 72 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone edge/Head Smash
- Outrage(if it gets it)
- Rock Polish
- Dragon Dance/Earthquake/Hone Claws/Sword Dance (if it gets it)

Oh god finally something to replace haxorus with, i can imagine using similar sets in my drag mag team, magnezone will almost always scare scizor from locking its self on BP against it, magnezone also traps ferrothorns forrys and other problematic pokemon so they wont cause much trouble , its stab stone moves can take care of those fairies and rock polish is absolutly amazing for late game sweeps against hyper offense teams probaply making tyrant as good as RP genesect !! from the other hand DD, hone claws or SD can prove help full when facing bulky pokemon like landorus-T but they can be all be dropped for earhq in favor of some decent coverage in case this monster is used without a magnet.
I am very excited about this pokemon ,more than any other new X/Y pokemon and i just cant wait to use it.

Last edited:

MaximumZero

Banned deucer.
liveslowdiefast(Tyrantrum) @ Life orb/Dragon fang/Lum Berry/Rock Gem/Stone Plate/
Potential OU Spread EVs: 216 Spd / 252 Atk / 40 HP
Potential UU Spread EVs: 184 Spd / 252 Atk / 72 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone edge/Head Smash
- Outrage(if it gets it)
- Rock Polish
- Dragon Dance/Earthquake/Hone Claws/Sword Dance (if it gets it)

Oh god finally something to replace haxorus with, i can imagine using similar sets in my drag mag team, magnezone will almost always scare scizor from locking its self on BP against it, magnezone also traps ferrothorns forrys and other problematic pokemon so they wont cause much trouble , its stab stone moves can take care of those fairies and rock polish is absolutly amazing for late game sweeps against hyper offense teams probaply making tyrant as good as RP genesect !! from the other hand DD, hone claws or SD can prove help full when facing bulky pokemon like landorus-T but they can be all be dropped for earhq in favor of some decent coverage in case this monster is used without a magnet.
I am very excited about this pokemon ,more than any other new X/Y pokemon and i just cant wait to use it.
Unfortunately , he doesn't get Outrage at the moment . He only gets Dragon Dance and the Elemental Fangs

I think people are forgetting this guy gets Rock polish. DD is great, but Adamant Rock Polish Life Orb will probably be a great late game cleanup sweeper.

He cant learn outrage, and honestly I think Ice fang > Dragon Claw (His best current dragon move). Dragon claw is only base 70, and really anything you are hitting for super effective damage with, Head smash will cover or do equivalent damage, or ice fang will cover.

I think this set is what he needs for a late game sweeper.

Ability Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
EVs: (Assuming base 71). 252 Att/ 252 HP/ 4 SDef
Holding Life Orb
Ice Fang
Head Smash
Rock Polish
Fire-Fang/Earthquake/Thunder Fang/Poison Fang

This set is intended to come in late game, and rock polish. The Evs are there to outspeed max base 130s (Gengar) after a rock polish. The HP IS CRUCIAL. You stop a scizor switch in from bullet punching you completely, and then you can KO with fire fang, or head smash if scizor is low enough. Dragon Claw is useless, Head Smash is the only stab you need. The rest is just coverage.
Ice Fang turns into a base 97.5 physical ice move, which combined with head smash, covers everything dragon claw would have and additional threats.

Hoping my math is right and this dude ends up with >350 Speed after a rock polish with 0 speed Evs

Last edited:
I doubt that Scizor would survive a Strong Jaw boosted FireFang :D
I doubt even less Scizor will take Rock Head Head Smashes at all.

(and why is everyone putting Head Smash on Strong Jaw sets? It didn't work with Rampardos, who HAD the HP, what do you think Tyranitrum will take from it?)

Assuming Serebii is correct and Tyrantrum has a base 71 Spe stat, it's actually pretty nice. It's kinda like Tyranitar; Tyranitar's speed lets it beat the next speed benchmark down, base 60s, and lets it beat +Spe base 115s (mainly Starmie) at +1, which the base 60s fail to do. Likewise, Tyrantrum beats a pretty important base 70 group and at +1 can beat +Spe base 130s, which the 70 Spe group fails to do. I can see a Choice Scarf set working decently enough on this guy with Rock Head + Head Smash. It outspeeds almost every unboosted Pokemon out there, and even with a Jolly nature and a Choice Scarf, Head Smash is hitting with ~96% of the power of a Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge. This also makes a Dragon Dance set that much more appealing, although its several weaknesses make priority and faster Scarf users pretty dangerous. A Choice Band set also looks pretty nice since its the most powerful user of Rock Head + Head Smash out there, and base 71 Spe isn't terrible by any means. It's so powerful that the standard offensive pivot Landorus-T takes 61.41 - 72.44% damage from Adamant CB Head Smash, which is really cool for a physical wall breaker. Even if it doesn't end up in OU, Tyrantrum could be a really cool offensive Pokemon, and it's probably my personal favorite 6th Gen Pokemon out there.

Last edited:
I'm pretty poor at running numbers, I just don't quite understand yet what I'm looking for. Assuming Max Speed EVs, what can this thing do as Jolly that it couldn't do as Adamant?

Is there a time or a place for Adamant?

He cant learn outrage, and honestly I think Ice fang > Dragon Claw (His best current dragon move). Dragon claw is only base 70, and really anything you are hitting for super effective damage with, Head smash will cover or do equivalent damage, or ice fang will cover.

I think this set is what he needs for a late game sweeper.

Ability Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
EVs: (Assuming base 71). 252 Att/ 252 HP/ 4 SDef
Holding Life Orb
Ice Fang
Head Smash
Rock Polish
Fire-Fang/Earthquake/Thunder Fang/Poison Fang

This set is intended to come in late game, and rock polish. The Evs are there to outspeed max base 130s (Gengar) after a rock polish. The HP IS CRUCIAL. You stop a scizor switch in from bullet punching you completely, and then you can KO with fire fang, or head smash if scizor is low enough. Dragon Claw is useless, Head Smash is the only stab you need. The rest is just coverage.
Ice Fang turns into a base 97.5 physical ice move, which combined with head smash, covers everything dragon claw would have and additional threats.

Hoping my math is right and this dude ends up with >350 Speed after a rock polish with 0 speed Evs
Dragon claw remained 80 bp correct? Anyway, I see rock polish working better with a lum berry, so that it can set up on defensive mons easier. Willowisps and twaves are going to be some last ditch efforts to stop it with defensives. Life orb only wears you down so that non choice scizor can KO, unless there are some very crucial OHKO or 2HKO's from it. I like the set otherwise though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)