Tournaments on PS in Little Cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
not actually approved by blarajan. also i love dsr95 :D

So to make LC be more active dsr95 is going to start hosting tournaments at least 2 times a week in the little cup room on showdown! generally we want 16 players and it will be a double elimination tournament unless those take too long or something! please come in there and talk and participate so those can be daily. note that any user can host a tournament if they really want to.

we will host them on whatever days we can, and if they become so popular we could possibly have multiple in the day. as of now they arent really any set schedules because its hard to do that. also to just have fun there might be some days of random meta or a fun tour to make it less stale. if so ill probably either post it here in advance, or there will be team building time before we start or something lol

Please post results here, i will update the OP as often as I can, and if you win enough you get voice here, and maybe stuff on irc (probably i havent actually asked yet). so yeah!

champions
dsr95 : 2
Macle: 1
Demhaxman: 1
Kingmidas: 1
Shakeitup: 1
Corkscrew: 1
Dcae: 2
Apt-get: 1
Glassglaceon: 1

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sweet.

It'll be pretty awesome to see the LC community battling together!

Plus this can give a chance for newer players to practice and watch battles to see which Pokemon are viable and how to use them effectively.

Hopefully more of the vets from BW join, it was me cork prem and vileman if I remember correctly, and it is a great way to help show new players how to play.

To clear this up, I'll be hosting tournaments whenever possible. So far, both tournaments hosted have been a very good experience so even if you're a new player you should come by and play because you would be learning a lot from the good players.
Every sign up for the tournaments will be by PM on Pokemon Showdown. After that, I will organize the brackets using Challonge and whatnot. There are a few rules I'd like to state for the record here:
I would appreciate it if both players stated "Tournament battle round (whatever round they're in)" at the beginning of the battle to prevent people from...say, picking up old replays and posting them as proof.
Second of all, you must get a replay of your battle with your opponent and PM it to me. As soon as I'm done with my battle (If I'm participating in the tournament), I will update each bracket. It's double elimination as well so if you gotta be afk, you could still have a chance if you get back fast enough.
Another rule, there's not substitute for a afk player.
This is the link to the second tournament, seeing as Graycross has already posted the first one: http://challonge.com/PBLC2
Don't PM questions through Smogon to me because I assure you I'm 90% never going to see it since I never use Smogon. If you catch me on Showdown (which you most likely will, if you go into LC chat) then you can ask me any other question regarding this.
btw check out my sweet avatar pic :>

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It was an honour to play in the first two tourneys for this series. I had a lot of fun, and I'm sure that I made dsr sweat through those three games as much as I did. I can't wait to play in more of them.

I'm bored and don't want to do HW soooooooo...

From PBLC3(http://challonge.com/PBLC3):

T8:

Aikenká:
Carvahna/Swirlix/Meditite/Honedge/Taillow/Tangela

Camzon:
Gligar/Pawniard/Meditite/Vulpix/Dwebble/Tangela

raseri
Gligar/Munchlax/Pawnaird/Pumpkaboo-L/Slowpoke/Bunnelby

Taillow
Pawniard/Bunnelby/Surskit/Staryu/Yanma/Tangela

T4:

prem:
Feroseed/Carvahna/Swirlix/Pawniard/Misdreavus/Yanma

Vileman:
Gligar/Pawniard/Swirlix/Magnemite/Staryu/Lickitung

T2:

macle(Electrolyte on brackets):
Gligar/Carvahna/Swirlix/Meditite/Misdreavus/Yanma

snowcrow:
Gligar/Murkrow/Swirlix/Meditite/Misdreavus/Magnemite

Most Used 'Mons T8:
5/8 Gligar
5/8 Swirlix
4/8 Pawniard
4/8 Meditite
3/8 Misdreavus
3/8 Carvahna
3/8 Tangela
3/8 Yanma

Most Used 'Mons T4:
4/4 Swirlix
3/4 Gligar
3/4 Misdreavus
2/4 Pawniard
2/4 Meditite
2/4 Yanma

Interesting (sorta) Stuff:
prem was the only Yanma user to run Compound Eyes
All Swirlix's used were special attackers
Tangela was only on a team with Vulpix once (Camzon)
Gligar/Meditite/Misdreavus/Swirlix were in both finalists teams

:3

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
gary confirmed for cool af

also just wanna say thanks for everyone who played today! we broke user record in the lc room and almost got to 50 lol. notice thats really amazing for most channels outside of lobby and a few smaaller places

If only I could go thru a whole tourney without DQing lol that first tourney was so mine I ice beamed his gligar turn 1 with a carvanah :P

prem

failed abortion
fyi i used the the same team the whole tournament. I'm just that good.
fyi i did too i just am a scrub

This is a great idea, but what's the tournament start time?
honestly they are completely random. its 100% based on if there are enough users online and if there is someone willing to host the tournament. we can try to have multiple in a day if timezones are a thing but i dont really want to make it a strict time because from experience its eaiser for this to die out when wwe make it too rigid of a system

I'm making this post to notify everyone that I will not be opening up tournaments daily anymore and that I believe no one should be doing daily tournaments, instead they can be twice a week. The 4th Pokebank Little Cup tournament was a disaster in my opinion, even if it had some great matches. My reasons for believing this are:

1) People are not following the rules. With this, I mean that I made a little Pastebin with the rules that weren't really that hard to understand and people weren't really reading them. This leads to things being harder for me (and probably anyone else that organizes these). The 4th tournament took 6 hours because people were dropping out (Check the challonge link to see how many passed by Time Outs and DQs) and because they weren't handing me the replays causing me to have to run around asking people if they lost/won. It was very stressful for me. On the other hand, it doesn't bother me at all to hosts these tournaments for all of you because it's really fun for everyone and I can handle the pressure in these... but then again, if the rules are not followed, the experience for everyone gets worse, especially mine.

2) It's more of the same. With this, I mean that most of us don't really have that many teams done and from what I've seen in the tournaments, people are using the same teams over and over on each tournament and we're basically just going over the same things, so I think hosting less tournaments gives people time to build more teams and be ready for the tournaments.

3) Time zone stuff. This is clear... not everyone is able to participate in the tournaments because of the time zone difference and stuff so I'm starting to think making slower tournaments that are carried over the course of a few days would be great for everyone. Holding sign-ups through a Smogon thread so that everyone can join. This is something I need to debate with you guys so if you reply, please leave your opinion concerning this matter.

I think those 3 reasons are enough to get my claim to stand on the daily tournaments thing but I would love to hear everyone's thought on this.
On another note, I was thinking that it would be a great idea to host a tournament with 8 tournament winners (for now it would be macle, TestingDemHaxMan and me.) And promote this tournament for the new players to see so that they may learn how experienced players play and I think everyone likes to watch a bit of good battling. :) This is another thing I need thoughts on.
Another point I would like you all to discuss with me is something I heard from dcae... "Why not host tournaments in another server to avoid the lag?" That question was great and I think it would be good for us to host our tournaments in another server because in the 4th tournament I saw the lag getting in the way of the tournament as some players were being DC'd or the cancel button allowing missclicks to be passed as the legit move.
The pastebin I made with the tournament rules will be shortened so that people find it easier to read and I look forward to seeing you all in the next tournament.
Tomorrow (Tuesday) I will not be hosting a tournament because I want you all to discuss this with me. I look forward to hearing all of your opinions on this.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Do you think, to encourage diversity, we should have themed tournaments once and awhile? Like, mono-type or doubles or something like that.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I definitely understand not wanting to host a tour EVERYDAY. It's exhausting to do something like that on a daily basis. Because of how new the process is, and because of how unsettled our community is, it's difficult to establish the rules. We have so many new people going in and out of Little Cup that they don't take the time to learn the in and outs of how everything works. Honestly, I think time will fix that more than anything we can come up with. Once the community settles down and we have a solid number of regulars that learn the system, the tours will run more efficiently.

My response to your second point is with an answer that is similar to the first. I'll use myself as an example. I've been playing Little Cup for about two weeks now. I have an okay grasp on the metagame, and I've made a few teams, but I still only feel comfortable with the main team I've been using. Once I get a bit more used to my different teams and how to fix their weaknesses, I'll start using more, and I'm sure others feel the same way. Quite simply, I just don't have the experience yet, but I'll get there soon, and so will everyone else.

I like the idea of having tours twice weekly. You can build up enough excitement for them and pace them out well enough so people will actually want to participate instead of just taking a break because they know there's "gonna be one tomorrow". Plus, having more than one tour a week ensures that people are less likely to get screwed because they happen to have a constant prior commitment the day of the tour.

I'm enjoying this series a lot and I hope that it continues for a very long time, because tours are a great form of practise, and I learn something new every time I play someone. It also feels good to perform well and place high. It gives you a way to measure your improvement.

Keep it up dsr, you're doing a great job!

prem

failed abortion
yeah we can definately have that. also ill try to host a tour at night or something one day, probably wendesday to give people in other timezones a chance to join. if uou have any ideas, you can either just post it here or pm me / dsr on PS, IRC or the forums.

i shold probably put them in the op

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Couldn't there be two tournaments a day, each handled by a person on a different side of the world? Just an idea, I think this would be more flexible and allow more users the opportunity to play. I think this would be a lot more consolidated than having signups/tours drag out over a course of days, especially considering that this can lead to impatience and then loss of interest; also it's important to note that people may very well get busy during a long stretch like that (school, work, irl things), I know it would affect me at times because I work rotating shifts and can't always dedicate time to playing. I personally am thrilled to even have this going on and it's going really well despite the mishaps, though those can be frustrating (understandably so).

If we're honestly getting that many people to play for tours, I don't see why there can't be a more strict enforcement of rules to make things run more smoothly. I think the vast majority of players I've seen enter appear competent and respectful enough to follow such simple guidelines, but we can tighten it up if we have to. I'd make it so that if a player goes inactive or becomes unreachable for so long in a time period when they are expected to participate, give their opponent the win. Make tours have a notice rather than a rule about it that states players who don't play their designated matches will automatically lose because the tour cannot be held up. It only makes it harder on everyone when it doesn't have to be.

If tours are becoming "boring" because "everything is the same" or "every team is the same", you might consider adding specific bans that apply only to certain tours. That will assure variety and make each tour more interesting and also raise the bar as far as challenge and competition goes, forcing players to step and think outside the box of just the obvious unbanned mons + Swirlix + Sturdy Juice Smashers. Just an idea, but I think it could be great to solve this if it is indeed a problem.

These are my thoughts. Feel free to take them into consideration if you like.

XY Little Cup is the best tier. ♥

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)