Project The Top 10 Titans of the Gen 8 OU Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.Tapu Fini
This Pokémon was one of the greatest Pokémon during the crown tundra reign and is to this day a very good wall. This Pokémon was a wall that could stop many sweepers including garchomp and Urshifu Rapid

2.Ferrothorn
This Pokémon can fit on any team and it will still do good. Especially on stall and rain teams this is because like scizor it resists a lot of types with its combo but it has both defensive and offensive pressure with leech seed sets or body press sets. This Pokemon is a beast.

3.Kyruem
The Banning of him made many things worse steel types,ice types and most definitely hail teams. I believe that this dude had a huge impact on the metagame due to how the ice type was given a good Pokémon other than weavile. It's freeze dry sets destroyed water types for hail teams. I believe that banning it mostly for its stall set is something that I still disagree with to this day.

4.Tapu Koko
This Pokémon is very good and can do a variety of roles. But this Pokémon is single handedly the reason why electric terrain teams are viable. Not only that but during corviknights prime this Pokémon was one of its best if not the best counter for it due to resisting both body press and brave bird. Overall this Pokémon has made many teams flow the coup or something like that.

5.Darmanitan Galar
I know that many don't rank him high for good reason but I believe he was a beast who destroyed teams. Before he was banned he destroyed the metagame with his Gorrilla Scarf set which had both choice band and choice scarf due to its ability. And even in ubers it still made a big impact being one of the Pokémon that outclass Kyruem in the tier.

6.Kartana
I know he's not on the list but this Pokémon single-handedly destroys many threats in the metagame to this day with leaf blade of course it's not in its prime anymore like Corviknight but unlike corviknight this Pokémon tore through teams with either leaf blade or sacred sword and suprisingly had a lot of potential for sets. His most dangerous set has to be choice scarf leaf blade due to it outspeeding literally everything. Even though now the metagame has adapted to it in its prime it was considered to be banworthy by many.

7.Dragapult
It's everyone's favorite c abuser dragapult! This Pokémon has had a huge effect on the metagame and destroyed many teams with just draco meteor + shadow ball. Looking at its physical attack stat and it's physical learnset you might mistake it for a mid Pokémon but that's where you're wrong. Ever since it's debut it's used its specs set to destroy teams with its boosted special attack. Blissey was used a lot more purely because of this one Pokémon due to it hard countering it. There was not many Pokémon who resisted both dragon and ghost stab but even those who got hit neutral were destroyed by either thunderbolt or surf. At first glance it may appear that this Pokémon is countered by ferrothorn that is until you realize that flamethrower also eats through it. This Pokémon pretty much beat up literally any other dragon types and destroyed psychic types. Even though now the metagame's adapted to its presence it still is a special wallbreaker that can tear through unprepared teams.

8.Melmetal
This Pokémon was more than just a lando check it was also a wall that could pack a punch. Double Iron Bash made it able to crush many Pokémon while body press destroyed many steel types that earthquake couldn't hack. This Pokémon was able to survive an earthquake from landorus and a close combat from zeraora with its crazy bulk. This Pokémon could also kill Corviknight with thunder punch in additon to OHKOing gyrados with it. This Pokémon was overall an better alternative to buzzwole for a great bulky sweeper.

9.Bisharp
One of the few Pokémon who could keep dragapult in check other than itself,he was kind of the glue that prevented dragapult from reaching godhood and prevented clefable from destroying many teams. It's almost like sucker punch set was made to kill dragapult.

10.Weavile
This Pokémon was good from its debut but was only after the Kyruem Ban where it started making more of an impact than countering both of the dragons of the tier. Before it was acknowledged in post Kyruem ban it mostly countered slowking but in addition to that also hit many psychic types for good damage. But the main thing that made Weavile truly worthy of OU was checking lando who was on just about every average OU team. There are many things that hold back it's potential like tyranitar mainly the removal of pursuit but Weavile was fortunately given new tools like beat up and heavy duty boots. Overall Weavile is a great OU Pokémon who also checks zapdos that can provide your team with an ice shard user faster than mamoswine.

The nominees that stood out to me the most was these
Buzzwole:A bulky bulk up Pokémon used to sweep teams with Corviknight
Cinderace:Was considered to be just like greninja with the introduction of protean but turned out being a whole different monster with court change+boots
Volcarona:This Pokémon is a setup sweeper that necessitated the need for heatran
Heatran:A Pokémon that stopped many OU staples dead in their tracks while destroying those same Pokémon with its moves
Victini:A toxapex check that had 2 moves to deal with it. It was also an amazing user of choice items but especially was good at scarf final gambit which destroyed many walls especially Toxapex

Last edited:
Whilst I've only played DLC-2 meta I've tried to consider what those have said about the pre-Tundra meta in my list.
1. :Clefable:So I'm entirely basing this off of the opinions of people who say how defining it was pre-Tundra. If it's been this consistent across the generation, living with the shifts and sometimes defining them I don't think I could put it anywhere else on the list. But even now it's something of a titan with its variety of roles. I don't need to explain just how good the premier blob is.
2. :Dragapult: This is similar to Clefable for me. Being consistent but never as central as Clefable and sometimes mildly dropping in relevance. It wasn't that long ago that spec shadowball had some people clamoring for a ban. And whilst it isn't as versatile as some other beasts it does have choices between spell tag hex sets, spec sets, DDance sets and probably something else I'm forgetting.
3. :Ferrothorn: The biggest benefactor of hidden powers removal. Nothing defines defensive steel like Ferrothorn.
4. :kyurem: It just beats some others due to its long term presence. The meta somewhat revolved around it in the months before its ban and there were those railing against it pre-DLC. Its ability to invalidate stall as a viable team style for a bit makes it a personal love of mine.
5.:Toxapex: I almost didn't put it on the list out of spite. Screw you toxapex.
6. :landorus-therian: It's Landorus. You all know what it does.
7. :Corviknight: The main reason I can't put it higher is its fall in the current meta compared to other threats that have stayed top tier with DLCs.
8. :Heatran: Similar to Landorus in that it it's a DLC 2 staple. However it isn't quite as central as Landorus whilst being limited to the current era which leaves it lower.
9. :Garchomp: Really struggling with the bottom half of this list but hey its Garchomp. Everyone likes Garchomp right?
10. :Urshifu: The only mon of the early Tundra bans I'm including. This is mostly because it's only one who had a reason to be included at all (more on that below)

I couldn't justify listing Magearna because I don't think it ever should've been OU at all. I think of it less as a OU titan and more as a brief tier mistake.
Other shoutouts include Buzzwole who I wish I could include as well as Slowbro for being another roadblock to stall.

Noms I disagree with?
:Cloyster: ಠ_ಠ I'll assume this is a joke.
:Arctozolt: Certainly gets a mention for reviving hail but it has never been meta defining. More just an occassional annoyance when its trending.

agslash23

Banned deucer.
My list is based on DLC2 meta because in my opinion real ranking is when all the titans are pitted against each other in the same metagame (Also because I started playing SS OU seriously only since DLC2 was released)

:Landorus-Therian: - Super glue with unlimited utility - SR? Yes. Defog? Yes. Electric and Ground immunity? Yes. Knock off? Yes. U-Turn? Yes
:Heatran: - Not as super a glue as Lando-T, but trades that for the ability to make near-guaranteed progress - be it breaking or setting rocks.
:Weavile: - Rags to riches story for this Pokemon - Triple Axel and HDB have changed its fortune, while continuing to abuse great speed, power, Knock-off and Ghost resistance
:Garchomp: - Garchomp finally got what it craved for - a speed boosting move in Scale Shot. This made its classic SD sets deadlier than ever before, while having a tech to sweep past its checks (Yache Berry for Weavile, Aqua Tail for Lando-T etc..). It can also run defensive sets that provide huge chip.
:Dragapult: - The best of the Galar newcomers, Dragapult made offensive team-building tougher thanks to its spammable Shadow Balls and brilliant speed. While bulkier teams handled it better, Dragapult used U-Turn to bring in the appropriate wall-breaker and make them miserable.
:Melmetal: - This steel blob can 1v1 any Pokemon with the appropriate set, including checks - Ferrothorn and Corviknight were ParaFliched by Pads + Thunder Wave, Slowbro and Zapdos were forced to take Toxic chip by ProTox. It can also wall special attackers with AV set, and Band set hits like a truck
:Slowbro: - Future Sight has become a deadly tool to enable breakers walled by Toxapex and Buzzwole such as Kartana, Weavile, Urshifu-R break past them. Teleport brings in wallbreakers safely. Thus, FuturePort is a deadly strategy in Gen8 OU, and Slowbro is the face of that.
:Ferrothorn: - Ever green steel type (literally), Ferrothorn continued to throw around Spikes in Gen8 even with the introduction of HDB - thanks to having Knock-off and Leech Seed to make progress versus defoggers, while checking meta-defining threats like Weavile thanks to great bulk and typing.
:Kartana: - While it shares Ferrothorn's typing, Kartana's great because of a different reason altogether - unparalleled power. Fact that it has checks limited to Buzzwole, Zapdos, Tornadus-T speaks volumes of its strength and coverage. This makes a deadly wallbreaker with SD + LO and Choice Band, while Scarf set is an excellent late-game wincon.
:Tornadus-Therian: - This bird saves us from the wrath of Grass types like Kartana and Rillaboom, while providing lots of utility like Knock-off, U-turn, Defog. It can also break bulky archetypes with Nasty Plot (provided its attacks don't miss)

Also, if had to make a list based on all-time SS OU meta (to the best of my knowledge), it would be :

:Clefable:
:Dragapult:
:Toxapex:
:Ferrothorn:
:Dracovish:
:Urshifu: -Single-Strike
:Landorus-Therian:
:Heatran:
:Zeraora:
:Cinderace:

imo:

1 - Clefable
2 - Dragapult
3 - Toxapex
4 - Ferrothorn
5 - Corviknight
6 - Zeraora
7 - Landorus-T
8 - Kyurem
9 - Heatran
10 - Mandibuzz

I also decided to rank the other nominees for fun, this was the result:

11 - Hydreigon
12 - Weavile
13 - Urshifu-S
14 - Melmetal
15 - Slowbro
16 - Dracovish
17 - Garchomp
18 - Cinderace
19 - Tapu Fini
20 - Tapu Koko
21 - Magearna
22 - Rotom-H
23 - Tapu Lele
24 - Spectrier
25 - Buzzwole
26 - Slowking-G
27 - Barraskewda
28 - Darmanitan-G
29 - Gyarados
30 - Arctozolt
31 - Cloyster

maybe will edit this later with more clarifications for the top 10, idk

1. :Clefable:
Clefable has been an incredible Pokémon across the entire generation. It has never dropped below A once the entire generation. In Pre DLC and Isle of Armour, Clefable was a must have on every team. It provided incredible support but also could sweep teams. People in Isle of Armour were even asking for a ban. While currently it's not at it's best, it's still an important piece of the current metagame.

2. :Dragapult:
Dragapult was probably the most significant new Pokémon added in Sword and Shield. It took a backseat during Spectrier's terror, but besides that era, Dragapult has been a consistent top tier OU Pokémon. With Pursuit's removal from the game, many players relied on Tyranitar to check Specs. However, Tyranitar could get overwhelmed by DD. Mandibuzz was the best universal check, as with correct evs, it can take on Specs and DD. Dragapult is probably one of the biggest reasons for Lando running SpDef. Overall Dragapult has been a super important Pokémon across the whole generation.

3. :Urshifu:
Urshifu (Single Strike) was one of the most terrifying physical breakers in the tier. Every team required a fairy type due to it's presence. Mandibuzz + Toxapex was also a common way of dealing with it. This mon changed every teambulding process. You had to prepare for it, and if not your team was unviable. Urshifu was in the tier for a long time, and shaped the metagame during that time. Urshifu also bascially created Future Port a thing, which is now one of the strongest strategies for physical breakers. Urshifu is one of the most impactful Pokémon in SS OU.

4. :Toxapex:
Toxapex has been the definitive wall across Pre DLC, Isle of Armour, and Crown Tundra. Many teams started to run Future Sight with their physical breakers just to beat Toxapex. Toxapex has been tasked with handling almost the entire metagame, and every team had to run something to deal with it, else you struggle to make progress, and Toxapex eats your soul. Toxapex has been one of the most important Pokémon in SS OU.

5. :Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn this generation was never the best thing in the tier. However, it has consistently been a top 10 Pokémon across the whole generation. Ferrothorn is THE defensive steel, that in pre DLC was tasked with handling the scary Dynamax Gyarados, thanks to it's water resist. Ferrothorn's hazard support is a heavy contributor to many Pokémon running Heavy-Duty Boots. Across all 3 metagames, Ferrothorn has been at the top. Never quite the best, but has always been an important part of the metagame.

6. :Spectrier:
Spectrier was arguably the scariest new Pokémon from the Crown Tundra. It's coverage was laughable, but it's power was unmatched. Mandibuzz was MANADATORY, on any team during this era. At first, choiced sets dominated the metagame, however, the Bulky Setup Sweeper pushed this horse over the edge. Blissey started to run Shadow Ball, however it was still free setup if Spectrier was running Dark Pulse. Mandibuzz started to run heavy SpDef evs, as well as Whirlwind. You needed mutiple ghost resists, with one of them being Mandibuzz in this metagame. This horse was truly a powerhouse in the SS OU metagame.

7. :Mandibuzz:
Some new players will go "haha", but are unaware of how much Mandibuzz has done this generation. Since Day 1 and until October, Mandibuzz has been an important part of the metagame. Mandibuzz has held the tier together against the most overpowered Pokémon, such as Urshifu-S, Spectrier, Cinderace etc. In Pre DLC, Mandibuzz was an elite Pokémon. With no pursuit, ghost types became a popular choice, and Mandibuzz stood in front of every single one. Every offensive threat had to run something just for Mandibuzz, as they knew how potent it can be. Time and time again Mandibuzz was checking most the tier, including some of the most overpowered Pokémon to touch the tier. I know it's my NOM, but I truly believe it had a very significant impact. If you only started playing recently then I wouldn't be surprised if you think this Mon had no impact at all.

8. :Landorus-Therian:
The splashable god we all love. Landorus has been an S rank Pokémon since it came back in the Crown Tundra. It was a nice ground type, being able to take on many threats like Zeraora, Tapu Koko, and Heatran. Landorus also had a huge benefit this generation, which is not having to deal with random Hidden Power Ice. This let Landorus serve more as a defensive pivot, which it did very well. Landorus may be one of the best Pokémon, but its not the most defining. It didn't require anything to beat it at team builder. Secondly it came in the gen during CT, meaning its time is somewhat limited. Either way, Landorus is without question, a Titan of SS OU.

9. :Slowbro:
Slowbro showed off how strong Teleport is after the buff. Future Port became an incredibly potent playstyle, being paired with many physical breakers like, Urshifu, Weavile, Zapdos-Galar etc. Slowbro proved to be able to support the team very well, with safe switch ins, Teleport, and Regenerator. Slowbro also served as a very strong physical wall to Urshifu (Rapid Strike), Excadrill, Dragonite etc. Slowbro even ran Colbur Body Press to handle Weavile. Slowbro has been an incredible support Pokémon, and a staple across SS OU.

10. :Kyurem:
Kyurem was a scary wallbreaker during the Isle of Armour metagame. While it was great, it was never meta defining, struggling with bulky Magearna, Cinderace, Urshifu etc. In Crown Tundra it took a backseat, but after the Cinderace and Magearna bans, it sky rocketed in popularity. Its natural bulk, along with great resistances became a super scary threat. Many balance teams had to run Blissey, Slowking Galar or Scizor to handle this behemoth. However, while Blissey might beat special sets, DD destroyed it. Slowking Galar is a similar case. Scizor was the best universal counter. Scizor became a legitimately good Pokémon just for it's role to beat Kyurem, while not being amazing otherwise. Kyurem heavily shifted team building. Every balance team needed something to handle it, both defensively and offensively.

HMs:
:Weavile: Weavile was super close to making it, however it was very mediocre for most of the generation, making me change my mind.

:Buzzwole: Buzzwole is insane rn, but it became popular way to late into the generation, not including it's use of walling Urshifu (Single Strike).

:Corviknight: Corviknight's best days are behind it, but it has been an important Pokémon across the generation. It was one of the best hazard removal Pokémon, while also being an amazing defensive steel and pivot. This guy even sent :Skarmory: to UU for the first time. It barely missed the list because while it was amazing, it was never too impactful in teambuilding.

:Magearna:
Magearna was incredibly strong in OU, however, it's bans happened too fast, not letting it shape the metagame too much.

Last edited:
Before the personal ranking period closes, here’s my top ten.

1. Landorus-Therian
2. Heatran
3. Dragapult
4. Corviknight
5. Ferrothorn
6. Toxapex
7. Clefable
8. Kyurem
9. Weavile
10. Garchomp

As a bonus, the top ten BS mons among the nominees.

1. Dracovish*
2. Galarian Darmanitan
3. Magearna
4. Urshifu Single Strike
5. Cinderace
6. Spectrier
7. Kyurem
8. Weavile
9. Heatran
10. Toxapex

*The only mon I’ve ever ranted about irl while drunk. That automatically gives it the top spot.

1655297835596.png
This Mon will always be my favorite Scarf user (although the Specs set is also amazing). Its coverage is phenomenal, it has an unique typing and fits on many teams.

1655297895746.png
I mean, this thing had one of the best abilities, nuff said.

1655297922642.png
When doesn't this Mon appear in OU? It's simply too good and on almost all the teams I build, whether it be as a defensive Rocker or a Scarfer.

1655297982285.png
The best wall in the tier, versatile enough to have an offensive CM set as well, has access to Rocks, Healing Wish, Moonlight...So many options.

1655298088629.png
Really powerful bear, always a nuisance with its Banded set.

1655298127592.png
Been here since gen 5, Ferro's always been someone I could rely on for hazards and a really good wall <3

1655298169248.png
Best Defogger in the meta, amazing wall, access to Body Press makes it not have to rely on Brave Bird anymore.

1655298206673.png
Infinite Scald burns, a Mon that almost never dies

1655298240191.png
Fun to use, blindingly fast, annoying with Hawlucha

1655298281770.png
This list couldn't go without this guy...The sole reason I love Slowbro in the meta xD

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Sorry for a bit of delay: let's get to voting!

We will be voting for #1 first and #10 last in ascending order. So, in other words, your vote for this week should be what you consider to be the most influential SS OU Pokemon over the course of the generation. You may choose from any one of the options listed below, and will have 72 hours to vote, meaning that the results will be posted on 6/20/22! Any votes that contain Pokemon that aren't in this list will be omitted from the tally.
:dragapult::clefable::garchomp::slowbro::arctozolt::barraskewda::dracovish::urshifu:(Single Strike):zeraora::heatran::weavile::corviknight::tapu-lele::slowking-galar::ferrothorn::toxapex::magearna::kyurem::cloyster::hydreigon::melmetal::tapu-fini::buzzwole::spectrier::cinderace::gyarados::darmanitan-galar::rotom-heat::landorus-therian::tapu-koko::mandibuzz:
My own vote goes to Clefable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)