The Street Fighter IV Thread!

Choi did exceptionally well despite practically never playing SFIV. I'd say that if it had a more Evo-styled ruleset (only one character), Choi might have had a better shot.

I'm hyped up for SFIV for the PC; I can finally play some Gen.

Choi did exceptionally well despite practically never playing SFIV. I'd say that if it had a more Evo-styled ruleset (only one character), Choi might have had a better shot.

I'm hyped up for SFIV for the PC; I can finally play some Gen.
but Evo use the same rules, best 2/3 loser can change char, winner stays with the same, but yeah he did very good for not having played the time as Wong has, my predicton for Evo is, Mago(if he comes) or Daigo to take it, but it is going to be a long trail, 1040 participants!!!

Talk about amazing game. My favorite characters have gotta be Akuma and Seth. Seth does not suck (like I thought at first), you just have to pay attention more with him and kind of play the field a little better.

Relating to what you said, muttonhead, I'm halfway considering getting a stick myself, but simple techniques like using fa or even dashing seem harder to execute than on pad. As you said though, the piano style layout makes linking a breeze, and it's much easier to execute the Ultra (I play Vega).

It's been a few weeks since you posted, would you say you've gotten to the point now where you feel as confident on the stick as you would on the pad?
Sorry, I haven't been browsing these forums much recently. I would say that yeah after a few weeks of hard practice I was pretty much back to my pad level, and now I would never go back to pad...It just opened up so many things to me like charge characters, plinking, jab into hard punch hundred hand slap etc...I would definitely recommend making the switch, even though as you said, small things like dashing and cancelling seem more difficult at the start, and can be frustrating. The only answer is practice, and more practice!

Anyone else watching Evo live now? I'm so excited about the finals later on today...
stream is at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/evochampionship

Anyone else kind of disappointed with the coverage? Technical issues aside, I was sad that Valle, Gootecks' and others' Losers bracket matches were mentioned only in passing after they had occured. Like, what happened to Bucktooth, Dagger G and freakin' Mike Ross? You Just Didn't Know!

But anyway, the finals should be interesting, but who's expecting anything other than a final showdown between Daigo and Justin?

Yeah I was bummed out not being able to see how Gootecks, Ross, Valle et al. went out... Gootecks said Kai knocked him out though. SRK being down is kinda annoying too. Isn't Daigo vs Justin the first match of the finals day? I wonder if Justin is gonna roll out Boxer against Daigo like he said he would after the gamestop tourney..I like that Puerto Rican boxer who beat Valle, his jab walk forward jab style in the corner is pretty unique...
Actually one section of Evo I'm looking forward to just as much as the finals is the Dogface show live! section heh.
www.dogfaceshow.com I love Victor.

That puerto rican boxer really impressed me, boxer just seems like a limited character to me when I see people like Gootecks play, but he was really interesting by comparison. Daigo v Justin is in the first round of the final 8 I think, should be interesting; Justin doesn't seem that confident in his Rufus, he'll probably be using Abel and Sagat and I'm just not sure how well that'll work. switching characters around at the drop of a hat seems to have punished, say, Marn, in my opinion, but I dunno.

Man I'm angry! Only just started to play SFIV online with Akuma being my main character. Now I decided to tryout Boxer in training mode, as I see alot of potential in him.

I spent a short time getting the buffalo headbutt down, with the Up-back direction.... however everytime I try to link it into his Ultra, I can only manage one hit. Surely my timing cannot be off so much!

If someone's got a hint or tip, let me know _-_;;

Hey Clefairy, the trick is to let the second punch whiff. This allows the enemy to fall low enough for the rest of the high punches to juggle.

Anyone have this on XBL?
Add me: Bahful
and we could have a few matches sometime.

oof, in need of help here

ive decided to main ryu and im slowly improving, but i have a couple questions:

1.) how do you charge? i asked batpig on irc and he said hold the direction for a couple seconds but i cant get it to work :|

2.) how the fuck do i link shoryuken into shinku hadoken on the 4th normal trial? do you input the hadoken right at the start of the shoryuken? or are you supposed to wait until you land and try and do it quickly (which im pretty sure is impossible since they go into the invincible falling state)

1) Hold back/down for two seconds then press up/forward plus punch/kick. Ryu doesn't have any charge moves anyways.

2) Dragon Punch Motion + Punch, QCF + Punch should 2 in 1 your special move into a super since the game counts the dragon punch as one of the QCFs necessary to execute the super. Likewise, if you're zoning an opponent with Hadokens and they jump, you can quickly input another QCF and a super will come out instead of a regular fireball. Too my knowledge Ultras don't come out like this even if you press 3p, it'll still be a super.

The reason it works like this I believe is because the game stores your inputs for a brief window and pieces them back together to execute special moves. I'm guessing the reason dragon punch cancels into super is because of input leniency. I think this was a glitch back in the ST days but Capcom decided to keep it like this because, well, it worked nicely. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

One cool thing I learned about charging is that if you need to charge back, holding downback and upback still counts for the charge. So you can block low or jump backwards while charging your move!

I started playing this a couple days ago (a friend of mine got a PS3 and SF4) and decided to main Rufus. I learned how to all of Rufus' moves but am now trying to figure out when I want to use which ones, as well as which ones I want to use in certain situations. Hopefully someone can help here :)

1) Galactic Tornado. Should this only be used in a corner or something? I've never been able to use this and hit with all of the hits, so I'm wondering if it's just a bad move. I know the EX version has more "range" because it can vacuum the opponent into the last hit, but I've always found it more useful to Messiah Kick EX instead at midrange

2) Crouching HP. Is this useful? I've been trying to use it as a poke sometimes when my opponent is pretty far away only because it has awesome range.

3) Rolling kick thing (downforward + MK on the ground). I find myself getting hit whenever I attempt this. The only time I use this anymore is if I somehow mess up trying to do a dive kick. Should I be using this at all?

4) Messiah kick's finishes. When my opponent blocks the initial part of Messiah Kick, I should use the MK/HK options depending on whether he's blocking high or low, right? If the first part of Messiah Kick hits, is the LK option always the best followup? Also, sometimes the LK finisher cancels itself out, so that it still hits the opponent but has no lag and looks like it can be combo'd into other stuff. What is this called/how do I do this? Also, is it just me or is Messiah Kick EX amazing?

5) As Rufus, what can I do for anti-air? So far the only thing I've been able to do that has worked is block or go up in the air myself with a Snake Strike (is that what it's called?).

6) How do I approach characters like Ryu who have fireballs as well as a dragon punch? I've always relied on jumping over fireballs -> diving kick, but I'm hoping there's something else I can do, both because I don't want to get too predictable with my diving kicks and because I don't want to get dragon punched every time my opponent shoots a fireball.

7) Is it just me or is constantly crouching as Rufus' the best taunt in the game?

8) What all combos into Rufus' ultra combo? I know of LK->HK->Ultra (possibly started with a diving kick?), aerial HK->Ultra and possibly Messiah Kick's cancelled LK finisher->Ultra (but again, I don't know how to do this one). Are those real combos or do my friends just suck?

I need to watch more videos of Rufus on youtube so I can see what works and what doesn't. Any help here would be much appreciated :D

thanks for the help, duckster. guess i just need to practise until im fast enough to do it, ive got the rest of the heavy kick > heavy punch > shoryuken down but on a keyboard doing a qcf that quickly is pretty hard ;( i saw a video of a guy with a stick pull it off and all he had to do was rotate like a bitch after he input the dragon punch, i was jealous. also zangief is impossible to play on keyboard lol, to do his specials in trial i had to physically rotate my finger around the keypad mashing punch until it worked, i am never going back there again

also just unlocked akuma B)

heart was pounding when i accidentally fireballed him instead of ultra and he was left with like 1 hp, but i just got that ultra off, heh

If you own a ps2 controller you can probably find some adaptors for really cheap on the internet. last I checked there were some hong kong ps2-> usb adaptors for 5 dollars plus a dollar for shipping, though I honestly can't vouch for the quality of them, since I went all out and ordered a lagless one from some dude in korea. the cheap ones are triangular and either clear blue or black, if you're interested in shopping around on ebay.

Hey man, I'm no good with rufus, but the appropriate strategy forum on shoryuken.com should have all of the info you want. Since you have so many questions though I'd honestly just watch a ton of justin wong matches or something, maybe practise a few of the combos they have listed on srk in training mode.

The real reason I'm posting though is because you're from hamilton, and if you're serious about playing there's a place downtown where a lot of the top GTA players hang out. It's called "pownz", they have a bunch of pro setups for different games but I believe Wednesday night is strictly SF. I've only been there once and I got wrecked, but the experience was seriously such an eye opener. Lot's of Rufus there last I checked, too.

I've attended Pownz's last 6 monthly SSBB tournaments actually :p I didn't know they had a big SF4 community. I've only seen random people playing on their 2 big screens at the front of the store. I might head down one week and check it out.

I'll also go start lurking at shoyruken.com and watching more Justin Wong videos. Thanks

There's a forum for Canada at the bottom, and I believe the Hamilton thread is the most popular. I went for a tournament last weekend and there were like 47 entrants or something absurd, it so sweaty in that little place.

From what I've been able to understand just lurking there they only have around 10-15 regulars and a bunch of out of towners that pop in every once in a blue moon.

actually starting to enjoy using the keyboard, 180 turns are pretty easy as long as theyre horizontal, and supers/ultras are waaay easier than it hoguht, all you gotta do it alternate between down and forward as quickly as possible which is really simple, and also made the shoryuken > shinku hadoken really easy, im now at trial 6 with ryu

also just got a perfect against some guy on live, who messaged me telling me to learn to play a character that takes skill
so i messaged him back with ^____^ and felt thoroughly proud of myself, heh

One cool thing I learned about charging is that if you need to charge back, holding downback and upback still counts for the charge. So you can block low or jump backwards while charging your move!

I started playing this a couple days ago (a friend of mine got a PS3 and SF4) and decided to main Rufus. I learned how to all of Rufus' moves but am now trying to figure out when I want to use which ones, as well as which ones I want to use in certain situations. Hopefully someone can help here :)

1) Galactic Tornado. Should this only be used in a corner or something? I've never been able to use this and hit with all of the hits, so I'm wondering if it's just a bad move. I know the EX version has more "range" because it can vacuum the opponent into the last hit, but I've always found it more useful to Messiah Kick EX instead at midrange

Galactic tornado can be used anywhere in the screen and is completly safe even if blocked by the oponent, just hold forward on the stick/pad and it will move towards the oponnent hitting him.

2) Crouching HP. Is this useful? I've been trying to use it as a poke sometimes when my opponent is pretty far away only because it has awesome range.

Thats correct, only use it as a poke when your oppent is far on the screen

3) Rolling kick thing (downforward + MK on the ground). I find myself getting hit whenever I attempt this. The only time I use this anymore is if I somehow mess up trying to do a dive kick. Should I be using this at all?

Just use it to get closer with some space, other wise they will git you, no priority =(

4) Messiah kick's finishes. When my opponent blocks the initial part of Messiah Kick, I should use the MK/HK options depending on whether he's blocking high or low, right? If the first part of Messiah Kick hits, is the LK option always the best followup? Also, sometimes the LK finisher cancels itself out, so that it still hits the opponent but has no lag and looks like it can be combo'd into other stuff. What is this called/how do I do this? Also, is it just me or is Messiah Kick EX amazing?

The LK finisher will combo if the first part hits completly, if blocked just come to a 50/50 option, watch your opponent reaction and act acording to it, late LK finisher is good too because they will try to Focus your MK, HK mixup, but LK is a Focus Breaker =)

5) As Rufus, what can I do for anti-air? So far the only thing I've been able to do that has worked is block or go up in the air myself with a Snake Strike (is that what it's called?).

Snake Strike is good, and so is down MP, great anti air normal

6) How do I approach characters like Ryu who have fireballs as well as a dragon punch? I've always relied on jumping over fireballs -> diving kick, but I'm hoping there's something else I can do, both because I don't want to get too predictable with my diving kicks and because I don't want to get dragon punched every time my opponent shoots a fireball.

Be patient, dodge fireballs and focus some, you will eventually get in, but is a pain just to get closer

7) Is it just me or is constantly crouching as Rufus' the best taunt in the game?

Best taunt in the game, goes thru sagat's upper tiger shot xD

8) What all combos into Rufus' ultra combo? I know of LK->HK->Ultra (possibly started with a diving kick?), aerial HK->Ultra and possibly Messiah Kick's cancelled LK finisher->Ultra (but again, I don't know how to do this one). Are those real combos or do my friends just suck?

Do Messiah, LK finisher, Hold MP and MK, dash (this will cancel the LK finisher), Ultra as soon as the dash finishes.

I need to watch more videos of Rufus on youtube so I can see what works and what doesn't. Any help here would be much appreciated :D
Hope that helps, i main rufus too,he's awesome!:naughty:

3S characters seem to be the best thing ever so far. Let's just hope these aren't just baseless rumours.

Dudley and hopefully 3s-esque akuma <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)