The Next Best Thing

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting Period for Metagross starts now, here are links to each set you can vote for:

Alexander.
Joeyboy
Onicon
msox
Homeslice
TLo

For voting, just put the username of the person you wish to vote for in bold and a short 1 or 2 sentence explanation for why you chose that set. Voting will be open for 2 days! Feel free to VM or PM me any suggestions for the next test subject if you have any.

Homeslice

I had a hard time choosing between onicons' and homeslice's sets due to there my favorite types of metagross sets. I went with Homeslice's set because I use a hone claws set before and with paralysis support it is a scary thing to switch in to.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
msox
The set proposed seems very effective, by switching metagross onto something that can't touch it, set up magnet rise on the switch, then proceeding to deal damage. I like the idea and will try it out sometime.

We don't know; Magnet Rise sounds neat on paper, but we have never seen any Earthquake user but the rather rare Bronzong and Gastrodon (who use Scald on you anyway) to ever come directly in Metagross. Considering that the other Earthquake users are faster than it, you don't gain any momentum in the end. Magnet Rise would be much cooler if it at least would last permanently or if Metagross was at least faster than Landorus-T. What a shame!

We abstain from voting.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting is now closed and the winner is Joeyboy's SubToxic Metagross set. This set will be added in the archive featured in the second post of the thread.

The next subject is the water Eeveelution, Vaporeon!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is my first entry into this contest, so be nice please.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers | Hydration
Bold | 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe | 0 Atk
Work Up | Rest | Scald | Ice Beam

Hey, do any of you remember the days when Manaphy was allowed in OU? Do you remember how devastating its Calm Mind set was to those that lacked Pokemon like Thundurus? Well, the Vaporeon set in this post (made by undisputed, mind you) gives us a taste of that power. Work Up boosts Vaporeon's passable Special Attack, and thanks to its massive HP, Vaporeon can actually take a hit as it's setting up for a sweep using Work Up. With Rest and the rain going, Vaporeon can heal itself up to 100% for what effectively is nothing. Once Vaporeon boosts up, not even notable resists like Keldeo and Gyarados will like taking rain-boosted Scalds. Ice Beam is there so dragons, Celebi, and Gastrodon don't walk over Vaporeon. Overall, this is a powerful set, and a refreshing change of pace for those who are tired of the standard sweepers.

you should totally vote for my set since I have a shiny animated Vaporeon back sprite in my post. also, if vappy here gets CM, it should be suspected for sure.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Fake Tears
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rest

Vaporeon's movepool is awful shallow, but an interesting move that does come up is Fake Tears. This works as a pseudo-phasing move, as even Vaporeon's prime counters start fearing a Rain boosted Hydro Pump. Either they switch out or they die :) Fake tears, as said, acts as a pseudo phasing move, forcing Vappy's would-be counters to either switch out or take some punishment. Hydro Pump is the main STAB move hitting for a surprising amount of damage even when Fake tears isn't used. Ice Beam hits pokemon such as Celebi and Latias looking to switch in and set up or gain momentum. Rest is there to gain back all your HP lol.

Calcs:
252+ SpA Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. -2 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 322-380 (88.46 - 104.39%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. -2 252 HP / 232+ SpD Celebi: 296-350 (73.26 - 86.63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Vaporeon Hydro Pump vs. -2 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo in rain: 313-369 (96.9 - 114.24%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Vaporeon Hydro Pump vs. -2 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 218-257 (61.93 - 73.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

well mine's doing a handstand so vote for mine

Vaporeon (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SAtk / 44 Spd
Modest Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Rest

I used this set for a while and I have to admit it isn't bad at all. With 252 EVs in SAtk, with a Modest nature and with a Life Orb as item Vaporeon hits really really hard. Plus, Vaporeon usually runs a defensive set so this Vaporeon'll surprise many people during the battle, which isn't bad of course. The element of surprise is always very helpful. Hydro Pump is the main move of this set, which with the rain support and with the Life Orb is just an incredible move but you're free to change it with Surf if you don't like the misses. Otherwise Ice Beam and Hidden Power Grass are useful coverage moves which are here to hit mainly Dragon-types and other bulky Water-types (like Gastrodon) respectively. Finally, Rest allows Vaporeon to recover all its HP in 1 turn if rain is up, which is really really good since Vaporeon can stay alive longer. This set is very underrated and it's fun to use too, so give it a try people. :toast:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration / Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
IVs: 0 Spd
- Work Up
- Yawn
- Baton Pass
- Rest / Scald / Wish

One of Vaporeon's greatest assets is his bulk, and in combination with a pretty solid support move pool, he can give your team a huge advantage. This set works very simply. First turn you come in on something that can't do much to Vaporeon, depending on the opponents team you use Yawn or Work Up. Yawn will cause the opponent to either stay in and fall asleep, or switch out and give Vaporeon a free turn to use Work Up or dry pass to gain easy momentum. After using Work Up, Vaporeon can either use Yawn, to gain a free turn to use Baton Pass, allowing you to see your opponents switch in and get in a boosted attacker for free, or if the opponent has let their pokemon fall asleep, Vaporeon is slow as possible to take the hit and get your boosted sweeper in un-scratched.

The Ability and last move slot depend on what type of team Vaporeon is being run on. On a rain team, hydration in combination with rest allows Vaporeon to be extremely difficult to take out, allowing it to be able to baton bass boosts to the rest of your team again and again. On a weatherless or sand team, Scald can be a useful move to deal decent damage and it has that handy chance to burn. Lastly, Wish further increases Vaporeon's utility allowing it to Wish followed by a slow Baton Pass, healing the switch in for a large portion of their HP thanks to Vaporeon's huge HP stat.

The list of Pokemon who can benefit from this set are limitless. Since Work Up boosts both attack and special attack, pretty much any sweeper on your team will appreciate the free boost and free switch in. All in all, Vaporeon gives your team great bulk, and this is a unique yet very effective set that will almost always provide your team with a huge advantage.

Vaporeon @ Choice Specs
Trait: Hydration / Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Satk / 56 Spd
Modest Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Baton Pass

Here the mighty Specs Vaporeon. A 110 Special attack base is nothing to laugh at, especially in rain. This thing can wreck unaware players that underestimate his power by unleashing incredibly powerfull hydropumps as Politoed already demonstrated with lower spAtk. He basically has the same coverage: ice beam for dragons and HP grass against bulky water types.
Baton pass allows to escape to his biggest counter named Ferrothorn. With good prediction you can keep the momentum.
The EV's maximize the special attack, put Vaporeon speed over standart CBtar and the rest goes for his great bulk.

A rain stall Vaporeon always annoys the hell out of me, toxic, rest (hydration!), scald and protect are the set I now use, and he tears apart teams.

Nova

snitches get stitches
Voting Period for Vaporeon starts now, here are links to each set you can vote for:

Trinitrotoluene
SuperChillarmy
Alexander.
Polywrath
Old Jack

For voting, just put the username of the person you wish to vote for in bold and a short 1 or 2 sentence explanation for why you chose that set. Voting will be open for 2 days! Feel free to VM or PM me any suggestions for the next test subject if you have any.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)