The Everything NFL Thread - Offseason 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ok so instead of posting comments about the upcoming season in last years thread, I thought we could talk about all offseason transactions in a nice, new thread :).

Eh, I wouldn't say they're in rebuilding mode yet. If you looked at their recent cuts, you'd see that outside of Steve Smith, John Kasay, Baker and Brad Hoover, there's not a single (projected) starter over the age of 30 so age isn't a problem. They still have talent though. Gamble is the best corner in the division (And Richard Marshall is damn good too), Beason is an All-Pro ILB and Davis was having an All-Pro season before getting hurt. Leonard Louis was doing very well too, as was Charles Johnson opposite of Peppers. Harris is a good leader and an Enforcer up top and both Godfrey and Martin had their moments to shine this year. The loss of Peppers is gonna hurt but remember, we still had the best defense in the division and I believe our passing game will be much improved. Not to mention having the 3rd ranked rush offense to ride as well, which will only get better with teams unable to stack the box against them anymore. Steve Smith in the twilight of his career? My friend, 30 is primetime for receivers.
Peppers was a STAPLE of that defense. But you are right, you still do have the best corner in the division and the best rushing attack (Though Atlanta's will be back to prominence when we get Turner and Norwood back next season.) Well, Smith struggled a little bit last year. Did you see the Falcons/Panthers game last year? (Jason Elam...GAH!) When Smith went against Chris Houston, whom the Falcons just traded away for a 6th rounder, he was not completed on. Smith used to WRECK Houston in the past. He can bounce back though. I just want to see how the backend of that Panthers defense is going to compete without Peppers up front. Gamble, IMO, is the only blue chip talent. Godfrey and Marshall are unimpressive.

I start an little debate: Which team has made the most significant improvements? In my opinion, three teams should be in considerations: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, and New York Jets.

The Bears were able to make significant improvements on day one with Julius Peppers and Chester Taylor as the main additions. They definitely got the best player in free agency and will definitely be improved; however, the Lions completely renovated their defensive line with Vandenbosch leading the way. With Suh or McCoy, they will be my pick for most improved team, most likely a 8-8 or better record.

I think the most improved team is the New York Jets. First of all they had restrictions placed upon them for being in the final four teams, so they could only sign players equal to the salaries of players they cut from their team; therefore, they cut running back Jones and corner Sheppard, two expendable players. To fill the void at corner, they traded for faded star Cromartie from the San Diego Chargers. I believe with Rex Ryan's defense, Cromartie will regain form and form the ultimate duo at corner. They also traded their safety Kerry Rhodes for draft picks. I think with the restrictions they had, they now have the opportunity to make another splash when the time is right. They improved from a strong defense to an INSANE DEFENSE.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
With Suh or McCoy, they will be my pick for most improved team, most likely a 8-8 or better record.
They will improve that's for sure, but + 500....are you serious :S??? Yes Stafford is an upcoming weapon and Johnson is an impressive receiver but aside from Stafford's natural second year growth, their anemic offense (well they scored a fuckload of points against some bad teams but it's still pretty terrible) hasn't done anything to improve. Improved defense will put the Lions back on the right track, but unless they somehow land a top class receiving or rushing threat the second round or so, or one of their receivers not named Johnson will have a breakout season (lol) they are still doomed to mediocrity...regardless of improvement.

They will improve that's for sure, but + 500....are you serious :S??? Yes Stafford is an upcoming weapon and Johnson is an impressive receiver but aside from Stafford's natural second year growth, their anemic offense (well they scored a fuckload of points against some bad teams but it's still pretty terrible) hasn't done anything to improve. Improved defense will put the Lions back on the right track, but unless they somehow land a top class receiving or rushing threat the second round or so, or one of their receivers not named Johnson will have a breakout season (lol) they are still doomed to mediocrity...regardless of improvement.
Their offense isnt complete trash. Stafford is growing, Kevin Smith is still a decent running back, and Calvin Johnson is still a monster. That O-line needs to improve, but they can live with an average offense as long as their D gets better. They also have the draft to fill those holes, so id say the Lions win at least 5 this season, but id say around 6-7 wins for the season is a pretty good improvement for them

LT to the vikings? That would be a very fearsome duo, especially if Brett Favre comes back (srsly... that offense would be so potent even if Favre does choke a lot)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Didn't the Lions pick up another receiver to play opposite Megatron? Or am I just imagining this...

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Lions MUST draft Russel Okung #2.

The Lions have:

potential stud QB
stud WR
potential stud TE
good young RB

What they don't:

stud offensive line

Okung goes a long way towards making that happen. He moves Backus either to RT or LG, while giving Stafford an elite pass protector for his blind side. That D is a long way from being elite no matter what but that offense is very, very close.

I love what my team has done. The Redskins are making smart, low-key signings, not overpaying for guys like Peppers and Kampman, and just being smart. Shanahan is a top 10 coach of all time, and Bruce Allen has won as a GM in both Oakland and Tampa Bay.

lol ben rapistberger (granted, the nevada shit was 100000% bullshit - who files a civil case on RAPE lol, and the jury's still out on this)

Why is no one talking about how awful these restrictions are? "Oh hey, you won in the playoffs; congratulations, we are going to do our best to treat you unfairly as a result."

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Frankly, I'm surprised the uncapped season is becoming a reality rather than an agreement having been worked out, CK.

I agree about it being surprising they never worked anything out. The NFL is too big a business to risk fucking itself up. While it might be good to somehow try for a better product, then it might be good, but I think the reality is just "the disease of more".

Does anyone else think that Tebow would be a good fit for the Vikings? He'd have a veteran QB to learn from (Favre), a great defense to support him, and he has a lot of chemistry with Percy Harvin.

Despite the restrictions on these teams, the Jets prove that moves can still happen, as they just picked up LT to fill the void of Thomas Jones. With Green and LT leading the way, the Jets might beat out the Patriots for division title.

I am serious about the Lions. The Dolphins went from 2-14 to 11-5 and playoffs. Why can't the Lions with a restructured defensive line and an improving quarterback?

The Browns are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Tebow with the Vikings: I can see that be a possibility, since Tebow has the leadership quality and the arm like Favre. But again the questions on Tebow leave it a question mark. I see Tavaris Jackson eventually leading the Vikings, more than Tebow (for now).

I am surprised by the lack of spending in an uncapped year. More and more teams are hesistating on spending for players. The most action came from the Bears with their massive day 1 signings. It's seems a bit odd to me.

The restrictions are hampering a bit of action, but the Jets prove you can still make moves. My big question is dealing with restricted free agents. Who do you guys see moving teams and who would grab them? (So far I know Marshall is probably heading out, but i'm not sure where)

Unless the Lions draft Russel Okung, they aren't going anywhere. The big difference between Detroit and Miami is A) Bill Parcells and B) Jake Long

So far Lions don't have that stable leadership nor do they have a franchise left tackle. You have to be able to A) Pass the ball B) Protect the QB and C) Get to the QB to win in this league. And yes I know I'm quoting Walterfootball almost word for word. We do have very similar opinions after all :)

Gamble, IMO, is the only blue chip talent. Godfrey and Marshall are unimpressive.
For some blue chip and unimpressive defenders they must have reaaaaallly over achieved to be the 4th best Passing Defense in the league looooool

Cmon dude, don't let your Falcon bias cloud your mind.

And uh buddy, what the hell are you talking about Chris Houston shutting down Steve Smith in the second game? He scored two freaking TDs! With Jake Delhomme as his QB! You're not really shutting anyone down if they're scoring the ball, don't you think? I'd also like to point out that Smitty averaged about 5 catches, 100 yards and a TD every 3/4 games, while Moore was under center. More specifically, his avgs would total to 76 catches, 1512 yards and 12 TDs in a 16 game season.

Just saying.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If we wanna argue "should haves," I got someone named Miles Austin sitting back behind Door #2 here...

As a generic in-state supporter of, and relative to many of its actual fans, the Browns... :chaos: Sigh, they'll never get it right.

With LT gone, the Vikings need to go after Westbrook as plan B. They need a solid third down back, a role he would be perfect at, and a mentor to teach AP on how to hold on to the ball. Plus he's played for Childress before.

With LT gone, the Vikings need to go after Westbrook as plan B. They need a solid third down back, a role he would be perfect at, and a mentor to teach AP on how to hold on to the ball. Plus he's played for Childress before.
I've heard that the Vikings are going after Leon Washington since the Jets signed LT now and probably wont re sign Washington. Id have to believe their only reason for signing him would be to add another weapon and give Farve another reason to stay for one more season

Despite the restrictions on these teams, the Jets prove that moves can still happen, as they just picked up LT to fill the void of Thomas Jones.
Uh...what? They let one "great" but old back go to pick up another recently not so great but old back. They possibly made a downgrade that they had no need to make (Jones gave them the chance to match an offer of less money than before).

I've heard that the Vikings are going after Leon Washington since the Jets signed LT now and probably wont re sign Washington. Id have to believe their only reason for signing him would be to add another weapon and give Farve another reason to stay for one more season
Westbrook would be a far better weapon for Favre. Better blocker and pass catcher.

The Jets still need Washington in case LT falters; however, if LT is at least a "good" back or better, then he will have a good season, thanks to Shonne Green sharing the load plus the strong offensive line. LT is more versatile than Jones and had a past history of success versus the best season of Jones' career. LT has a better chance for success than Jones did.

Westbrook to the Vikings would be a good idea, thanks to the Childress connection and AP playing 1a running back and Westbrook playing 1b running back. Westbrook would make the Vikings even more potent on offense.

I give you the point on the offensive line of the Lions, but lets assume they play at least average (which is probably where they are at). Would you think they are at least 6-10 to 9-7 team then?

Washington will be back on kick return ability alone. I think it'll be Brad Smith returning Kicks and Leon returning Punts. And isn't he either A) still signed or B) A restricted free agent?

Restricted free agent, despite having the franchise tag before. He will still play a role as a change of pace/wildcat type player, but I agree. He will be a return man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)