Project SV ZU Secret Santa (Ho-Ho 4th Ed)

Approved by wooper Corthius Jett and Tuthur
Stolen from czim (ZU) and PTF (PU)

:blobuwu: SV ZU Secret Santa! :blobuwu:

1606851679433.png

(please submit your Pokemon or core before the deadline)

Building and Posting Deadline: January 6th
I warmly welcome you to ZU's annual Secret Santa 4th Edition! It's that time of year again where we celebrate the festive season and what better way to do that than to give and receive gifts!

As most of you probably know, Secret Santa is an event in which the members of a community anonymously exchange gifts between themselves. In this particular Secret Santa, which, deep down, will work similarly to a teambuilding workshop, each person who signs up will PM me (Smogon or Discord) with a Pokemon or a core (I'll provide more information on this below) they'd like someone else to build a team with. Afterwards, everyone who joined the project will receive one of the aforementioned ideas and will have to build a team with it until the submission deadline. Finally, the teams will be sent to the people who requested them and this thread will be used for further discussion. Easy, isn't it? Let's get to the rules then!

General Rules:
  • Post "in" or whatever else you want to (as long as the intent is clear) to join.
  • Don't sign up if you can't guarantee that you'll be able to finish building a team in time. I'll try to keep tabs on everyone and help if needed, but depending on the amount of sign ups we get, it could be hard to do this.
  • Avoid telling people what request you sent/got, as it could ruin the project's purpose.

Submission Rules:
  • Each request submission should be sent to me through Smogon PM or Discord. You don't need to do it right after signing up, but if you fail to do it until the deadline then your sign up will be void.
  • Pokemon suggestions include new DLC Pokemon, but January tier shifts are not going to be taken into account.
  • Requests will be looked at on a case by case basis. It is preferred that requests are kept viable, but if you really want a team with an unranked/seemingly unviable Pokemon then you can try your luck.
  • Cores are usually preferred over individual Pokemon unless one of the Pokemon is known to be hard to build around or straight up uncommon. Once again, this will be looked into on a case by case basis, and while I might not directly enforce anything, I could end up suggesting changes.
  • If you want your requested Pokemon or core to have specific sets, you're allowed to mention it.
  • After sign ups close, I'll use the same PM each user sent with their request in order to let them know the Pokemon or core that was assigned to them. This is going to happen 1 week after this post comes up approximately.
  • Once you're done building, post the team you made on the thread and share the gift! (Try to add a small description to make your gift even better!)
  • You don't have to wait until building deadline to share your gift, share it whenever you feel comfortable with it!

Recommendations:
  • Don't be afraid to join just because you feel like your teambuilding skills aren't on par. I'm down to help everyone who feels this way (or even if you're just having a hard time finishing a team. It happens to everyone sometimes!)
  • I encourage you to build and test with other members of the ZU community as Christmas is a festive in which families/communities spend time together.
  • You're allowed to change requests until the sign up deadline, but avoid doing it if possible, as it could lead the host into making mistakes.

Have fun and happy building!

HO-HO-HO! I am sending all the indications for our secret santas 2023 :blobpex: . As a friendly reminder for those that have been naughty (i.e., those that have not submitted yet their wishes), please do it as soon as possible or otherwise I will have to move on completely without your participation!

Best wishes,

Zecret Zanta

SECRET SANTA..!!
a.jpg

So, this year I am the secret santa for 5Dots, who wished for a team with grassy terrain build. I have some fun memories with the concept in SS ZU so had fun building it but tbh faced a lot of dilemma while choosing defensive profiles for the team too. As such, I shall submit 2 builds for it.
:Thwackey: :Leafeon: :Crocalor: :Hattrem: :Ludicolo: :Dunsparce:
:Thwackey: :Leafeon: :Pignite: :Hattrem: :Oranguru: :Klawf:

:ss/Thwackey: :bw/Leafeon:
Thwack is pretty obvious and I gave it terrain extender for longer prio, passive recovery and added ground resist so yea.
Leafeon was originally trevenant but eventually I decided it was better to go ahead with leafeon as it can outspeed most gglide resists.

:ss/Hattrem:
Hat is not only a pseudo hazard control but it also couples as a solid indeedee switchin. While it does appreciate more phy bulk in general, things get sad after knock, where indeedee hvoice can 2hko after rocks. So, I made it max max spd so that even after losing item, hvoive does max ~33%.
:sv/Crocalor:
croc is a brilliant compressed wall against combusken and servine.
However it does demand good gameplay for hazard control and hates getting knocked early in the game.

:gs/Dunsparce:
Dunny as a rocker is somewhat unorthodox but the set proved to be an effective answer to misdreavus/dusknoir and bslam with serene grace is a chance based but effective suport.

:rs/Ludicolo:
The team lacked in spa so I decided to go with ludi that appreciates boosted giga drain and serves as pseudo speed control.

:bw/Pignite:
The prev team was vulnerable to bug (Vesp with strong Uturn + toxic). The revamp saw pignite replace croc with being glaceon (prev team struggled) / servine / misdreavus / sneasel counter and a semi busken ans with tera fairy.

:sv/Klawf:
Klawf was the new rocker of choice to add some phy bulk vs stuff like Squawkabilly while providing some more knock support. I gave it rhelmet over hdb cuz sneasel. hat prevent spikes to some extent anyways.

:sm/Oranguru:
Oranguru serves as the unorthodox gseed user and serves as an inverse approach at speed control with tr. Stab tera blast w/o tera is cool imo.

Special thanks to Giove97 and SMHorizon for helping me test the teams and to BaitWiz for critical analysis and help with building.
Also, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in advance to everyone <3​

Last edited:

BaitWiz

hisuian zorua my beloved
is a Pre-Contributor
Secret Santa
flareon flapple.png

(art by DanShimmershell and jj-exe)
:flareon: :flapple: :quaxwell: :electabuzz: :gabite: :swalot:
For the first Secret Santa I've participated in, I was given an exciting challenge by BloodAce to create a team with the combination of two interesting sets: Tera Steel Flapple with Iron Defense and Ripen, and Tera Fairy Flareon with Calm Mind and Alluring Voice. An interesting challenge to be sure, but certainly not one I was about to shy away from!
The Team
:flareon: The first oddball that BloodAce gave me which included a new DLC move; Tera Fairy, the brand new Alluring Voice, and Calm Mind. This felt like a fairly straightforward setup for a bulky setup sweeper, so I opted for Fire Blast as its STAB of choice and Wish as its recovery option. This set is unfortunately pretty messed up by Dachsbun (and opposing Flareon, lol), but outside of that I think it does quite well; Fairy + Fire is surprisingly good neutral coverage, only really faltering against Fire-types... that aren't half Fighting or Grass. Turns out, Fairy + Fire's pretty uniquely equipped to handle ZU! Pretty cool to see, especially working off of a rather unique set of options initially presented to me.
:flapple: The other oddball that BloodAce gave me, who was required to have three traits: Tera Steel, Iron Defense as one of its moves, and Ripen as its ability. With traits like these, there's really only two ways to go - either try to go all in on a bulky setup sweeper, or get creative with something more offensive. I opted for the latter, and it ended up making for a pretty fun cleaner build! Liechi berry gets Flapple up to a staggering +3 Attack if you can successfully activate it alongside Dragon Dance, with Iron Defense and Tera Steel helping to get into that range. The other two moves are fairly straightforward; Grav Apple is by far and away its best STAB, and Acrobatics is an excellent coverage option that doesn't lock Flapple into Outrage while still letting it do well against Flying, Grass, and Fire-types.
:quaxwell: I've opted for a team with only one HDB user, so some sort of removal was basically mandatory - enter Quaxwell. This sassy duck's been gaining popularity as a spinner for a while, and it quite nicely completes the Fire/Water/Grass core that BloodAce started me off with! This is a pretty standard set, with a cute spread taken from risin_glory... that I don't remember what it actually does. C'est la vie. Brave Bird's opted for here over Liquidation to really annoy opposing Grass-types.
:electabuzz: Our latest and greatest Electric-type addition has joined the scene and I took a leaf out of ORAS ZU's book here, replacing Hidden Power Ice with Tera Ice Tera Blast on the standard Eviolite set and calling it a day. Electabuzz is quite fast, has pretty good bulk with Eviolite, and hits reasonably hard to boot. Quite the fun pivot, for sure.
:gabite: The physical check and Stealth Rock setter. Eviolite boosts its bulk to ridiculous degrees, especially with how physically bulky I've made it, while Dragon Tail serves as a tool for phasing and stacking Stealth Rock damage on - the rest is pretty standard.
:swalot: The special check. Pretty standard set here, thought about running Toxic Spikes instead of Toxic but it just makes it too passive against bulkier special setup sweepers.

This was pretty fun to build overall - thanks to BloodAce for giving me a good challenge, and I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of their holiday season!

Last edited:
sliggoo-hisui.pngclefairy.pngswalot.pngmisdreavus.pngcacturne.pngquaxwell.png

SligClef para spam xmas

Hi, i'm the secret santa of giove97 & will send you my team with his idea : Sliggoo-H + Clefairy.

With this core, I started with a swalot to immediately take many Koffs & the idea of a para spam emerged in my head.

Clefairy is max spdef to take assault from the majority of special attacker in the tier, I prefer moonblast to seismic toss or koff but they can replace moonblast. Tera steel to nulify his weaknesses & have the best defensive type in general.

Swalot is conversely here to take physical moves like thwackey, (pickpocket) tinka, leafeon, cacturne etc.. we can inflict statuts with pjab & t wave , I play pjab>gunk shot & eq>bpress but toxic/protect/clear smog/swords dance/pain split/toxic spikes can be played, there are just too many options for what you exactly want. Tera dragon to obtain elementary resistances.

Naturally I thinked about misdrea as my cleaner, basic set with basic spread, twave/wow, play what you prefer & tera fairy to get extra damages from dkiss

After that I wanted something else to put pressure on opponent's team so the typing of cacturne & its utility popped in my mind. We have a strong koff user with spikes, mixed attacker which can be hard to check after a koff, huge priority boosted by its tera dark & a mid speed compensated by every paras I can put.

My last boy quaxwell is here to help swalot on physical plan, with good recovery, hazard control & pivoting, he can switch on camel/stonjourner/croconaw/beartic & pivot after them to get back momentum. I play liqui but encore is possible, I like having a good stab & choose when I want to switch. Tera grass to remove grass/elec weaknesses with a ground resi.

Now my 5 sets are done, I choosed how to play this sliggoo, the slow wincond mono attacker with iron head is the best idea imo. Like I said it's a second wincond if misdrea can't finish & has an amazing bulk with eviolite & it's for me harder to play against than the acid spray set atm. Tera Fairy for good defensive type in general.

I let you haxx the ladder with this team & have good holidays.

Secret Santa
Sawsbuck Paraspam
:Sawsbuck: :Tinkatuff: :Frogadier: :Hattrem: :Gabite: :Swalot:
Merry Christmas Tuthur!
:Sawsbuck: The pokemon that I was tasked with building around. I used Swords Dance because Choice Scarf is boring and I will have paralysis for speed control. I opted for Trailblaze > Horn Leech for better sweeping potential. Tera Ground is cool as it abuses Tinkatuff and Swalot and boosts High Horsepower.

:Tinkatuff: Pretty obvious pick here, as it's the only viable Pokemon with Thunder Wave and Stealth Rock. I went for Play Rough > Encore but I think both are fine.

:Frogadier: Great pivot that also provides Spikes support, which helps chip down Sawsbuck answers over time.

:Hattrem: Provides paralysis support with Nuzzle. It also has Magic Bounce to deter opposing status and hazards. Additionally, it has Healing Wish to help revive Sawsbuck if it is weak.

:Gabite: Very threatening Swords Dance sweeper than can help make holes for Sawsbuck to capitalize upon in the later parts of the battle. It can also abuse some Sawsbuck answers such as Swalot.

:Swalot: I decided to use the utility set that saw much use in ZUPL, as it provided more paralysis support for Sawsbuck to capitalize upon. Knock Off also helps remove boots, making the hazards from Frogadier much more threatening.

Happy Holidays!

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This is rigged

:sv/flareon:
Block Lickilicky (Flareon) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Temper Flare
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Protect

So zause asked a team around a pretty terrible Pokemon, but at least it is not nearly as bad as Block Lickilicky, so I could at least attempt to make it work. zause wanted a SpD Wish Pass Flareon, so I had already two moves locked in with Wish and Protect. For STAB option, I went with Temper Flare which is quite powerful coming from Flareon's great Attack stats and can combo with Protect fails (when the opponent switches out on an expected Protect). Body Slam lets it spread status and threaten Fire-immunities / resists, while also being able to combo with Temper Flare against Misdreavus. I then picked Tera Ghost to wall Combusken.

:sv/swalot:
zause irl (Swalot) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic

:sv/gabite:
not camel (Gabite) @ Eviolite
Ability: Rough Skin
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Rest

I then rounded up the defensive core with two of the best walls in the tier. There is not much to say, but those two appreciate Flareon's tiny Wishes and bring a ton of utility with their typing and movesets.

:sv/sneasel:
Jett (my love) (Sneasel) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Inner Focus
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard

Then I added a Psychic-immunity to make it easier to play around Indeedee-F, that also doubles down as a fast attacker to revenge kill and a way to pressure Ground-types that are a pain for the team.

:sv/lumineon:
fish (anemometer) (Lumineon) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Encore

Another way at pressuring Ground-types, that also likes Flareon's Wish and can support it by dealing with Water-types like Golduck. Thanks to U-turn it can also create opportunities for Sneasel.

:sv/electabuzz:
Ho3n (noob) (Electabuzz) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Discharge

I wanted another speed control option and voltturn member. So Electabuzz fit pretty nicely. This is one of the best Pokemon in the tier so I couldn't go wrong with that. You can probably replace it with a Ground-resist like Flapple if you feel like it, but Buzz worked pretty nicely, unlike CB Flapple which is quite unreliable.

Merry Christmas TomatoZause!

I'll add replays later, as I suspect that some of these teams I fought were also for Secret Santa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)