Resource SV OU Teal Mask Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What influenced the decision to put Ogerpom-Cornerstone and Ogerpon in B and not higher?
The main reason is the fact that, at least for now, Ogerpon-Wellspring outclasses both in most aspects. Water Stab is preferable to Rock in most cases, and the Ground type resistance is very helpfull, not to mention the value of Water Absorb over Cornerstone's sturdy.

Relatively to Base Ogerpon, the lack of a secondary stab, makes it more of a slow progress maker that relies on Knock Off for progress, having to compete with Rillaboom and Meowscarada for this role. While it can run boots unlike Wellspring, it is so much slower at forcing progress, and so Tera-reliant for revenge killing, that it becomes hard to justify running it over it's Water type form or Meowscarada.

why is ursaluna B? is it really as bad as some people make it out to be? why is torn-t B+?
Ursaluna definitively got better with recent meta trends and defensive builds becoming more common, however, it is still very much reliant on grassy terrain support from Rillaboom, and will only be able to maximize its potential on this type of structure.

Remember that Trick Room as a playstyle is still pretty much dead, and that you only see this thing commonly on Grassy Terrain builds, meaning it still suffers from being constantly outsped.

Also, grassy terrain boosting Grass type moves can backfire, and the new abundance of knock-off users makes it harder to trigger flame orb safely.

What's the logic behind Dozo in B+? Is tera reliance vs grass types pushing it down too much?
Yes, the only noticeable Swords Dance sweeperss it can consistently wall withouth Tera are Kingambit and SD Sneasler. Curse sets are still really good on spd sets, since they happen to beat manaphy and love the fact that Garganacl, Amoonguss and Toxapex usage decreased.

Ursaluna definitively got better with recent meta trends and defensive builds becoming more common, however, it is still very much reliant on grassy terrain support from Rillaboom, and will only be able to maximize its potential on this type of structure.

Remember that Trick Room as a playstyle is still pretty much dead, and that you only see this thing commonly on Grassy Terrain builds, meaning it still suffers from being constantly outsped.

Also, grassy terrain boosting Grass type moves can backfire, and the new abundance of knock-off users makes it harder to trigger flame orb safely.
Do you have an example of such set? Trailblaze Luna?

Do you have an example of such set? Trailblaze Luna?
I believe the point of grassy terrain is mostly to negate chip damage not to boost your grass type attacks. You can run the same sets as always. They are much better in the sense that balance teams are much more common again and Ursaluna can kill something whenever it enters the field. It also struggles a lot from the increased hazardal pressure though and grassy terrain helps a bit with that (while also allowing you to just aggressively switch into Gliscor)

Last edited:
Why is Ribombee just A-? Webs are really good[I would argue its better than alotales] and ribombee has techs to defeat answers. Most notably skill swap for hatterene's magic bounce and completly walling heatran without steel stabs aswell as the ever usefull stun spore aswell as stuff like QD.

I believe the point of grassy terrain is mostly to negate chip damage not to boost your grass type attacks. You can run the same sets as always. They are much better in the sense that balance teams are much more common again and Ursaluna can kill something whenever it enters the field. They also struggle a lot from the increased hazardal pressure though and grassy terrain helps a bit with that (while also allowing you to just aggressively switch into Gliscor)
I get it, metagame tends favor it, and that can change when meta changes.

Why is Ribombee just A-? Webs are really good[I would argue its better than alotales] and ribombee has techs to defeat answers. Most notably skill swap for hatterene's magic bounce and completly walling heatran without steel stabs aswell as the ever usefull stun spore aswell as stuff like QD.
Webs just seems very matchup fishy rn. It's by no means bad and Ribombee is very reliable at setting them up making this one of the strongest iterations we've seen in a long while but the main problem as I see it is that Gliscor balance doesnt care one iota about Webs and a lot of offensive teams are running Cinderace for it.. Furthermore lot of mons that are running Boots for Spikes such as Pult and Zamazenta also inadvertently counter Webs with it cause they still threathen to revenge kill your threats throughout the match. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that you will often lack the information which mons are running boots just from team preview alone whereas they know all they need to just from spotting Ribombee (sticky webs, that iron moth is prolly satk boost, max speed kingambit) which puts you at an disadvantage when making a game plan as you can never be sure which mons on the enemy team will actually be affected by it (ive even seen stuff like Walking Wake with boots these days). It still enables some very strong mons that are held back by its speed especially Manaphy, making it a competitive playstyle but it doesnt feel good enough to warrant an even higher ranking than A- imo.

I'm not a council member though so thats just my personal opinion on the matter.

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
A couple noms based on recent tournament and ladder play:

:Milotic: B- -> B/B+

Milotic has seen great success both in SCL and on the high ladder, with Scald-Mirror Coat-Haze-Recover being strong tools that allow it to check Manaphy, Iron Moth, Gholdengo and special variants of Iron Valiant. Although not making OU by usage, it's definitely a valid pick in OU and on most teams it feels like a stronger pick for a similar role to other bulky Water types like Rotom-Wash, Toxapex and Slowking in the B tier, being less passive than the latter two and having reliable recovery that the former lacks. It's featured on this sample team by xavgb in which it saw most of its tour usage, with the next nom also featuring on that build.

:Mandibuzz: B- -> B

Mandibuzz has also seen similar success, emerging as a check to Roaring Moon pre-ban and maintaining a niche as a great support mon with access to Knock Off, Toxic, Defog, and notably Foul Play + Iron Defense which gives it the ability to easily 1v1 some of the strongest threats in the meta like Kingambit, Great Tusk, Dragonite, Rillaboom and Sneasler, along with handling Zamazenta with Iron Defence + Toxic sets. Unfortunately, despite being a Dark type it still struggles with Gholdengo, unable to threaten Recover sets for meaningful damage, and is hard walled by non-SD Gliscor. Additionally, it struggles somewhat with 4MSS; Roost is necessary while both Dark STABs are valuable to have, and without Iron Defense you lose the ability to beat many physical attackers, but Toxic is a great utility option and U-turn can provide momentum.

:Blissey: C+ -> B-, :Toxapex: B -> B-

Blissey is not at all a splashable mon, but stall still needs Blissey and stall is not a terrible playstyle right now, it's OU by usage for a reason. I'd place it at least this high despite not being something that goes on any other build as it feels almost necessary to stall outside of niche builds, although I'd definitely still rank Blissey under Dondozo as despite Dozo's troubles with Waterpon it can still fit on more teams than just one archetype. Decided to group this entry with a nom for Pex to drop in viability, as it fils a similar niche to Blissey in that it can only fit on stall, as evidenced by its usage in October being near identical to Blissey. Almost any other playstyle would prefer a different bulky water that isn't just a passive target to be taken advantage of, case in point being Alomomola or even Milotic, and only stall can afford such passivity.

:Heatran: B+ -> A-/A

Top 10 usage in SCL, fantastic mon that fell off due to a combination of hostile metagame conditions and new toy syndrome, its low usage stats on ladder absolutely do not reflect this mon's viability. Flash Fire sets hard wall Iron Moth (Terablast Ground is not currently real), while SpDef investment lets it check Gholdengo, special Valiant and other special attackers that struggle with its typing. Flame Body is an alternative that can heavily punish Rillaboom and Kingambit, with Air Balloon and Will-O-Wisp making this a strong check to mons like Dragonite and non-CC Great Tusk that need a turn to pop its balloon, also coming with the benefit of hard walling EQ-Toxic Gliscor. Tera lets it fill the niches it has even better, with options like Grass to resist Water and Ground attacks and Ghost to give a fighting immunity as a panic check to Sneasler and Zamazenta. Magma Storm + Taunt is still a great breaking option that can trap and eliminate mons trying to come in on it defensively. It still struggles with the high power levels of the metagame and prevalence of hazards limiting its longevity even on Leftovers sets, but it definitely has a role as a powerful tool both offensively and defensively in the tier.

1699217043406.png
-> UNR

Never seen him, never tried him. Unfortunately those stats ain't what they used to be so I can't see any real merit another mon doesn't have. And even if it has unique traits I haven't thought of there isn't real merit picking this over Great Tusk, Iron Valiant or even Iron Hands

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
:Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom:

Rillaboom from A to S-

Usage is NOT viability, however Rillaboom has been nearly at or over 30% usage for all of SCL so far, currently tied for #3 in usage with Gliscor. The usage being consistently high is not proof on its own, however it's very high usage can support arguments below.

+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon | Use | Usage % | Win % |
| 1 | Gholdengo | 59 | 32.78% | 52.54% |
| 2 | Great Tusk | 57 | 31.67% | 50.88% |
| 3 | Rillaboom | 54 | 30.00% | 53.70% |
| 3 | Gliscor | 54 | 30.00% | 48.15% |

Rillaboom sets itself apart from other breakers with two key components: one of the strongest priority moves in OU and unrivaled team support. Banded Rillaboom threatens nearly all walls barring 4× resists and super bulky 2× resists such as Tera Dragon Dondozo. Rillaboom can easily pick off many faster mons such as Iron Valiant, Ogerpon Wellspring, Greninja, Great Tusk, Samurott-Hisui, Walking Wake and other grass resistant sweepers that tera out of resistance. Grassy Glide also revenge kills anything with enough chip, above are just some common mons that can be revenged from >50% HP. The final component, to push this strong offensive mon into the spotlight, is Grassy Surge. Grassy Terrain enables a wide variety pokemon including Kingambit, Sneasler, Heatran, Great Tusk (Headlong Rush), Ogerpon Forms, Zamazenta, Manaphy, Gholdengo and Hatterene and makes all of these teammates function so much better.

In short: One of the best, if not the best breaker in OU with it's Wood Hammer, picks off a ton of faster mons with Grassy Glide, enables giant threats a ton.

:Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom::Rillaboom:

Rillaboom from A to S-

Usage is NOT viability, however Rillaboom has been nearly at or over 30% usage for all of SCL so far, currently tied for #3 in usage with Gliscor. The usage being consistently high is not proof on its own, however it's very high usage can support arguments below.

| Rank | Pokemon | Use | Usage % | Win % |
| 1 | Gholdengo | 59 | 32.78% | 52.54% |
| 2 | Great Tusk | 57 | 31.67% | 50.88% |
| 3 | Rillaboom | 54 | 30.00% | 53.70% |
| 3 | Gliscor | 54 | 30.00% | 48.15% |

Rillaboom sets itself apart from other breakers with two key components: one of the strongest priority moves in OU and unrivaled team support. Banded Rillaboom threatens nearly all walls barring 4× resists and super bulky 2× resists such as Tera Dragon Dondozo. Rillaboom can easily pick off many faster mons such as Iron Valiant, Ogerpon Wellspring, Greninja, Great Tusk, Samurott-Hisui, Walking Wake and other grass resistant sweepers that tera out of resistance. Grassy Glide also revenge kills anything with enough chip, above are just some common mons that can be revenged from >50% HP. The final component, to push this strong offensive mon into the spotlight, is Grassy Surge. Grassy Terrain enables a wide variety pokemon including Kingambit, Sneasler, Heatran, Great Tusk (Headlong Rush), Ogerpon Forms, Zamazenta, Manaphy, Gholdengo and Hatterene and makes all of these teammates function so much better.

In short: One of the best, if not the best breaker in OU with it's Wood Hammer, picks off a ton of faster mons with Grassy Glide, enables giant threats a ton.
I don't fully agree with this. As you said, in this particular meta, rillaboom is objectively in a great position with tons of unique perks together with favorable matchups that make it a very consistent pick.

The problem is that S- in my opinion is far too much because, when you run rilla, you are forced to use a somewhat predefined team structure. You cannot freely add it to virtually any team like other S- and S tier mons.

Furthermore, even if we should rate according to the current OU, I think rillaboom will soon fall to UUBL. Rillaboom is a stock that has been surging by 3230% recently but when the earnings of the next quarter drop it will most likely see its valuation decline by 95%.

My reasoning is that:

-
is like 10000% going to be banned. There is no scientifc debate among accademics: This thing cannot stay in OU. Now I often see it as a partner of Rillaboom and for good reasons: It gives it free recovery together with boosting of grass moves + sometimes using its own grassy glide. In general this mon is extremely effective in more offensive teams that are the ones where rilla fits the best. You will therefore see these two together quite often. When it will get banned (it's not a question of If but When) I think this will be a considerable hit to rillaboom.

-
also has, in my opinion, high chances of being banned. Now If this happens I don't need to explain why
will most likely skyrocket in usage. Maybe but just maybe even
could have a shot in OU with that meta Development as I've already seen it perform well in high ladder and with gholdengo ban it would probably become a viable defogger. At that point rillaboom with his weak 55 BP grassy glide will perish in UU getting burned to oblivion by flame body
proceeding to fall to RUBL. Seriously gholdengo ban could trigger a chain reaction causing rillaboom to get BIRDED across multiple tiers.

Now if
and
somehow avoid getting banned (this would be kinda cursed not gonna lie) I could see rilla in A+ tier but, as of now, before having the suspects on these two I wouldn't move Rillaboom as it is too risky of a stock to invest into at the moment. Let's wait for the next earnings report to drop and see if Rillaboom truly desserves inclusion in the S&P500 or rather get classified as a penny stock.

Time will tell, rilla is in a very strange position right now as grass (a notoriously awful offensive typing) is good just because an incredibly toxic oppressive trash mon like
exists flipping the meta in an extremely unnatural way around itself. Grass has no business being that good of a STAB, it is so just because ghodlengo has poisoned the meta.

I don't fully agree with this. As you said, in this particular meta, rillaboom is objectively in a great position with tons of unique perks together with favorable matchups that make it a very consistent pick.

The problem is that S- in my opinion is far too much because, when you run rilla, you are forced to use a somewhat predefined team structure. You cannot freely add it to virtually any team like other S- and S tier mons.

Furthermore, even if we should rate according to the current OU, I think rillaboom will soon fall to UUBL. Rillaboom is a stock that has been surging by 3230% recently but when the earnings of the next quarter drop it will most likely see its valuation decline by 95%.

My reasoning is that:

-
is like 10000% going to be banned. There is no scientifc debate among accademics: This thing cannot stay in OU. Now I often see it as a partner of Rillaboom and for good reasons: It gives it free recovery together with boosting of grass moves + sometimes using its own grassy glide. In general this mon is extremely effective in more offensive teams that are the ones where rilla fits the best. You will therefore see these two together quite often. When it will get banned (it's not a question of If but When) I think this will be a considerable hit to rillaboom.

-
also has, in my opinion, high chances of being banned. Now If this happens I don't need to explain why
will most likely skyrocket in usage. Maybe but just maybe even
could have a shot in OU with that meta Development as I've already seen it perform well in high ladder and with gholdengo ban it would probably become a viable defogger. At that point rillaboom with his weak 55 BP grassy glide will perish in UU getting burned to oblivion by flame body
proceeding to fall to RUBL. Seriously gholdengo ban could trigger a chain reaction causing rillaboom to get BIRDED across multiple tiers.

Now if
and
somehow avoid getting banned (this would be kinda cursed not gonna lie) I could see rilla in A+ tier but, as of now, before having the suspects on these two I wouldn't move Rillaboom as it is too risky of a stock to invest into at the moment. Let's wait for the next earnings report to drop and see if Rillaboom truly desserves inclusion in the S&P500 or rather get classified as a penny stock.

Time will tell, rilla is in a very strange position right now as grass (a notoriously awful offensive typing) is good just because an incredibly toxic oppressive trash mon like
exists flipping the meta in an extremely unnatural way around itself. Grass has no business being that good of a STAB, it is so just because ghodlengo has poisoned the meta.
Eh, I mean, the viability rankings are for the current OU metagame, and suspects will take a decent amount of time to complete, so if :Gholdengo: or :Ogerpon-Wellspring: get banned, we can drop Rillaboom then, when it stocks fall to the levels of the NFT monkeys that its likeness is based on. In the meantime, both are still OU and both are causing its stocks to soar. Gholdengo loves Rilla's G-Terrain to get rid of its EQ weakness and easily setup on foes like Gliscor, while Ogerpon generally loses to RIlla. In general, G-Terrain support is OP for a lot of Pokemon, like Heatran, Hatterene, Sneasler, etc. and that level of wide reach gives Rillaboom a lot of application in the metagame. Also, the damage calculations on Tera Grass Wood Hammer are insane.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Grass Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 224 HP / 0 Def Cinderace in Grassy Terrain: 345-406 (96.6 - 113.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

S- might be a bit much, but given G-Terrains success, I cannot say it would be undeserved. I am thinking A+ Rank is more fitting, as Rilla itself has some issues between its lack of a real recovery move, dealing large chunks of recoil to itself, and the multiple insanely bulky Grass Resist our metagame has like Corviknight. The stocks may eventually fall, but right now, its time to hold.

What is the common Rillaboom set anyway? I've been appreciating how versatile the mon is. Forgot how good the CB set is because I'm busy using boots.

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I agree with the Rillaboom nom and would at least move that mon from A -> A+, though S- may be a little too high as yeah it has an easier time defining a playstyle than being splashed onto any team that wants strong priority.
Seriously gholdengo ban could trigger a chain reaction causing rillaboom to get BIRDED across multiple tiers.
Disagree heavily with Rilla dropping a long way if Ogerpon-W/Gholdengo go. Choice Banded Glide still does massive damage to frail sweepers, ~75% to Iron Valiant without Tera Grass, and Corviknight + Mandibuzz wall SD sets (which are not the greatest right now anyway) but can be knocked off or even worse U-turned on to bring in mons that take advantage of their passivity like Heatran or Iron Moth. Ogerpon-Wellspring is both a solid partner to Rillaboom and checked by Banded variants, but losing it is not a significant blow to Rilla, and I think the suspect with the most potential to affect its viability is actually Gliscor. Without Gliscor in the tier, Moltres is likely to rise in usage and I can see Sneasler being looked into on the horizon, a mon that does actually significantly affect Rillaboom's viability in itself due to Unburden sets.

Also yeah this ranking is based on their viability in the current metagame; If Rillaboom does somehow in some future drop to RU with its 71.5BP STAB priority move, 156BP STAB stallbreaking hammer, access to Knock Off and pivoting, its placement in the OUVR can be re-evaluated then, but now it's undeniably very strong and it's not just because of the meta being warped by Gholdengo (though I'm not disagreeing with Ghold doing that lmao)
What is the common Rillaboom set anyway? I've been appreciating how versatile the mon is. Forgot how good the CB set is because I'm busy using boots.
In my experience, the most common set by far is Choice Band, with Terrain Extender seeing some usage on teams that need heavier Terrain support (this was a lot better pre-DLC imo and kinda fell off). Other picks like Life Orb SD exist but are less common, and niche options can be considered like AV, seeing some use in SCL.

Seconding this nom, Sinistcha is actually so damn annoying and has given me plenty of trouble, Strength Sap is a very bs move, Matcha Gotcha is broken af with its burn chance and integrated healing effect, and Tera makes it so much more annoying (like with every bulky setup sweeper out there), there are matches you legit can't damage it enough before it just clicks Strength Sap and heals back to 100% and makes your hits weaker simultaneously.

And of course, it has great matchups into some of the broken stuff, this alone should make it much higher than the stuff at D and more in line with mons at C+, I feel like it could even fit right between B-, it is certainly much more dangerous than stuff like Azumarill or Hydreigon given it doesn't hard lose to the top tiers.
I third this, particularly the part about it being B-. I'd like more experience on the higher ladder before I really say that, but it's so damn effective this meta. It requires team support, isn't very splashable, and not the most consistent (weak to crits and hax and whatnot like every other slow settup sweeper) but at the very least the CM set is very effective, and doubly so with Grassy Seed.

This is my most recent match, and it completely turned around a horrendous match on my side. I mean, I couldn't have played worse then. But the cup, the damn cup.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1986253945-z0twkoiowi20wmnzskhbgrr595wlfqwpw

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
B- -> B+

Cresselia is an incredible pokemon right now, one of the best Stored Power sweepers in the metagame. Levitate is so incredibly good for it, not being pigeonholded into running boots is amazing, because that lefties recovery offers so much for it.

With Tera Poison it becomes insanely difficult to break, and can occasionally just win on the spot if your opponent lacks Encore or Phazing/Haze.
It works great as an endgame cleaner on a few Superman structures, it's definitely loads better than anything in B- right now.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 568502-> UNR

Never seen him, never tried him. Unfortunately those stats ain't what they used to be so I can't see any real merit another mon doesn't have. And even if it has unique traits I haven't thought of there isn't real merit picking this over Great Tusk, Iron Valiant or even Iron Hands
I think D is perfectly fine for Infernape. It does have a couple perks over the listed mons (Fire STAB, Nasty Plot, Will-O-Wisp, serval forms of priority) and the D ranking acknowledges the monkey is a niche pick. I'm definitely not using the thing 99% of the time, but I don't see it as totally unviable.

Plus Morkal probably made it work.

:Hydreigon: -> B / B+: I've used this Pokemon enough in the current meta to say that it should be way higher than its rank suggest. The classic SubNP set from its heyday has a good match-up into Gliscor, Gholdengo, and Gambit. You don't just match-up well against the top three mons in the tier and just be stuck in C+ lol. Oh and it also outspeeds and OHKOes like the likes of Tusk with no setup (if Tusk has no HP investment). SubNP can struggle vs Encore users, which is a weakness, but none of them besides Iron Valiant really want to switch into directly. Like Gliscor and Corviknight, Hydreigon is also extremely resilient to entry hazards, especially if it Terastalizes, which is a massive boon over its wallbreaking competition. Nonetheless, it still pairs well with Corviknight which can use its slow U-Turn to bring Hydriegon in safely vs Gliscor and appreciates Hydreigons good MUs into Gholdengo. Hydreigon also appreciates Ting-Lu usage drastically decreasing, which completely smoked the NP set otherwise. While Hydreigon is significantly better than it was in the previous metagame, its match-up vs offensive teams still leaves something to be desired, particularly as it does not do well vs Dragapult, Iron Valiant, and Zamazenta, with Iron Moth and Manaphy also being somewhat rough match-ups.

This nom likely will get outdated if Gliscor gets banned, but in the current metagame, I do believe Hydreigon is worth a raise.

Updated Noms Time:

Its clear the genies all vary in viability at the moment, with some definitely being better than others.

I think its time to move some of them around in the VR, as well as giving some updated noms

For drops:

:Enamorus: A- to B+ or B

Enamorus-I has certainly seen better days, as its a very hard sell to use over valiant as of late unless you really want healing wish, which at that point you might be better off using mola to pass wishes and healing wishes, since Enamorus-I is not super easy to slot on fatter teams, it also wishes it could make use of webs since it has the burden of being a FLYING type with contrary, which means it can't make use of the webs being thrown around. It is not necesarily a bad pokemon, but its just super unimpressive right now as a fairy type.

:Landorus-Therian: B+ to B- or B

Its mostly just barely getting by with offensive sets up here as its utility was stripped from it and not even given back through dlc, and offensive sets really feel like they just are not good enough anymore with the firepower in OU and the Great Tusks and Gliscor running around, as both are just better versions of landorus-t this gen.

Quicknoms:

:Garchomp: B to B-:
(Pretty self explanatory)

Rises:

:Gholdengo: S- to S

Fuck this Mon, need I say more

:Toxapex: B to C+

This Mon has a fantastic defensive typing that justifies it only dropping 2 subranks and is a bulky haze user. However, its just too passive and does not have any utility to make up for it really anymore over other options. Yes it can also deal with Wellspring but Pex just feels like a liability more often than not against everything else. You probably should only use this thing situationally on stall right now since even there it can feel hard to include over other bulky water types.

As for the genies to rise:

:Thundurus-Therian: C to B
Pinkacross and other players have been using Thundy to great effect on offensive teams as of late, as there is a very good offensive team going around that utilizes it. Not much for me to say on this Mon personally so go watch Jimothy Cool's video on the rise of Thundurus-T

:Tornadus-Therian: B+ to A-
Probably the best genie in OU right now funny enough, but this DLC meta was surprisingly the most kind to Tornadus-T, giving it knock off back allowing it to be a utility pokemon again. Knock Off + Regen + U-Turn on boots sets is always going to be a strong combo to remove items of pokemon throughout the course of a game as past gens have shown us. Also Substitute + NP is surprisingly effective with torn-t's offensive stats and good 121 speed, as Finchinator was dominating the ladder with Sub NP Torn-T when getting reqs for the suspect. Regardless, Torn-T is probably the strongest genie currently residing in OU at the current moment, and people should use tornadus-t, as its a pretty underrated pokemon in OU right now.

Quickrises:

:Garganacl: B+ to A-

:Rillaboom: A to A+

:Manaphy: A to A+

:Hydreigon: C+ to B-

:Dragonite: A to A+

Edit: Changed my mind on a few things

Last edited:
:sneasler: If we’re talking about moving Rillaboom up right now, should we also maybe consider its partner in crime, or is A rank sufficient? It definitely doesn’t have any real defensive utility to provide, but with Rillaboom to support it, it’s one of the easiest-to-use win conditions in the entire tier. I could see it being either A or A+, but I wanted to hear other people’s opinions on it.

Best Rilla set is Swords Dance with Miracle Seed. Glide, Knock, Hammer. It slaps everything, retains most of the power of Band, and doesn’t take life orb recoil.

I don’t agree with Rilla being S though. Solid A/A- mon. Feels right.

:sneasler: If we’re talking about moving Rillaboom up right now, should we also maybe consider its partner in crime, or is A rank sufficient? It definitely doesn’t have any real defensive utility to provide, but with Rillaboom to support it, it’s one of the easiest-to-use win conditions in the entire tier. I could see it being either A or A+, but I wanted to hear other people’s opinions on it.
Actually yeah, rilla + Sneasler is pretty good right now A+ it is

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
The meta changed quite a handful since my last round of noms so I got some new thoughts to share.

Rises

IMG_8878.png
A > A+: Top 5 in usage in SCL and for good reason. Rilla does everything in one slot. Speed Control, Wallbreak, Pivot, Wogre check, supports with passive recovery, and Sneasler’s sidekick. Frail resists like Cinderace can straight up drop to a Tera Grass Wood Hammer, even fatass Mandibuzz has a roll of getting 2HKOd

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Grass Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Mandibuzz in Grassy Terrain: 191-225 (45.1 - 53.1%) -- 32% chance to 2HKO

So unless your name is Tera Dragon Dozo or have a dual resistance to Grass like Amoonguss, you are gonna lose half your health to a raging ape with a funny hat. Moreso, Grassy Glide has proven to be excellent speed control, even against resists, making it phenomenal against the rise of Gliscor Balance and HO. Several tier staples like Ghold and Gambit appreciate the passive recovery and the weakening of EQ. There are also other sets like Terrain Extender and Bulky SD. One of the biggest glowups of SV OU.

IMG_5207.png
B+ > A: I think Tran has become amazing with trends like Rillaboom’s usage surge and other popular threats like CM Valiant, Ghold, or Moth. It provides teams with a check to those mons but also it’s infamous progress making abilities. Rocks, Taunt, and Magma Storm. Balance has also made a comeback thanks to Gliscor, and if you remember what Tran was known for since Gen 4, Tran was known for tearing balance cores with Magma Storm chip and its good natural bulk. Its bulk has been made better with Rilla and Wishpassers like Clef or Mola to aid with it’s issue of longevity. Both SpD and Balloon are dangerous, Balloon scares Gliscors lacking Knock and checks opposing Heatran. If Moth isn’t an issue, it can opt for Flame Body as an emergency 30% burn chance to punish physical powerhouses like Sneasler, Rilla, Tusk, Gambit, and Zama in a pinch. It does have issues with a spike stacking meta, but these issues are less apparent for Tran in this meta due to the aforementioned trends.

IMG_5278.png
B- > B: “Is Rillaboom spamming Grassy Glide again?” Said Scizor. The conditions for Scizor are lining up decently well for it. It gained Knock Off which lets it wear down the opposition and provides more immediate power into Ghold. Being a Steel type that isn’t weak to EQ is pretty huge in a Gliscor meta and on G-Terrain teams, it can pretty much set up on it. As mentioned earlier, Scizor matches up well with the top 5 SCL usage mon Rilla due to it’s dual Grass resist. Bullet Punch is excellent as always for picking off Valiant or random Tera Fairies. Special oriented variants of Valiant are more common and carry CC less often, meaning Scizor can properly check this warrior from the future without eating 50% from a CC.

IMG_0975.png
B- > B: It’s passive as shit but it annoys the shit out of Offense thanks to Encore and it’s top tier bulk, and speed for a defensive Poke. Demeted asf Puff is a lifesaver for Balance teams that need an answer to Manaphy or other slower setup seeepers. It also comes packed with T-Wave? Wish, and even Rocks for continuous support. Though Scream Tail doesn’t fit on most teams, it excels in matchups that involve playing around a big setup sweeper. Which is why I feel it warrants a rise.

IMG_0976.png
C+ > B-/B: Its exploits the common Gliscor Balance cores with Sub/Taunt NP. Its typing also matches up well into Heatran who has risen in popularity. Sub Tera Steel shits on Clef while blanking Gliscor. Hydrei happens to resist common priority in Gambit’s Sucker and Rilla Gglide. Gambit can drop to an EP while Rilla gets crushed by meteors. What keeps it from going any higher is that it has a rather poor mu into offensive threats like Pult, Valiant, and Zama, speaking of Pult, it has stiff competition with it. Pult’s superior speed leads better into the Manaphy mu which outspeeds Hydreigon by 2 points.

IMG_5279.png
C+ > B-: My boy. Shout out to Pinkacross. Thundy-T fufills a unique role of a wallbreaker that can threaten/lure Gliscor while Knock Off can threaten Stall teams that rely on Blissey to handle it. On the right kind of teams, Thundy can pick off 1 or 2 kills. Balance teams have also seen a notable rise in usage. You see that Mandi/Clef/Glis/Milo/Skele/Pult team going around? Name a switch-in to Specs Tera Flying. You can’t. Like with Hydrei, it has a pretty bad time into offensive matchups, but at least with Thundy, it actually outspeeds Manaphy and its Flying typing helps against Zamazenta.

Drops

IMG_8898.png
A- > B+: Idk if this is a hot take or not but Webs can range from good to doo doo ass. In Smogon terms, it is a matchup fish. Against Boots Offense/Balance, you are left with a standard HO team. Against Cinderace, you lose your Web privileges and aren’t allowed to put up Webs til the rabbit is gone. The latter is moreso just one mon that is also a matchup fish, but Boots Spam is everywhere for reasons besides Webs. Priority from Gambit, Rilla, and Dnite also minimizes the effects of Webs. I feel as the meta goes on, Webs is gonna see less usage.

IMG_4605.png
A- > B+: I rarely ever see this thing at all outside of Sun. Not that it is bad, in fact it is still a monster wallbreaker that got Scald, Flip Turn, and Knock from DLC1. Choiced variants have to play more mindgames with the introduction of Wogre and Clef. Pult notably outclasses it due to it’s superior speed. Being a Dragon type that doesn’t resist Grass does not help matters into mus like Wogre or Rilla. The extra Fire resist does good into Tran tho. Its speed stat is one point slower than the two base 110 speed mons, the Ogerpons and Moth while being outsped by Booster Valiant. I think B+ would be more appropriate for it since Torkoal is chillin down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)