Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 0 Atk Annihilape Night Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zoroark-Hisui: 258-304 (102.7 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Is yomaalt cooking absolute heat or straight fucking ass? Can YubelVT predict the annihilape tera properly, and claim the kill? Can Srn get tera banned before people start running tera normal modest specs hypervoice hzoro to try beating tera water sp.def ape? It's all going down in the next iteration of gen 9 OU, so stick around and stay tuned!

Insert ad break
kid named sash

WILL YOMAALT PREDICT THE SWITCH IN WITH A NIGHT SLASH AND PROC SASH BEFORE H-ZORO CAN GET A PLOT UP? WILL YUBELVT SACK SOMETHING TO GET IN SAFELY?? ARE HAZARDS EVEN UP RENDERING ALL OF THIS MOOT?!?!? ALL THIS AND MORE IN THE NEXT ITERATION OF GENERATION 9 OU, ONLY ON CHANNEL SMGN.

Insert ad for an ED product

How do you people feel now that sneasler got banned?
Do you enjoy the metagame more?
I could build a million Slowking-Galar + Bird + Bulky Ground cores and never get tired of it, seriously. Such a solid yet flexible backbone that lets you run interesting mons in the breaker, speed control, and offensive support slots. I especially like variations with Moltres because it owns most physical mons on Hyper Offense. Something like SpDef Glowking, Phys Def Molt, and speed-invested Lando-T w/ Grass Knot is a pretty reliable core for laddering. Teras broaden your coverage, as well. With the above core, something like Tera Water Glowking, Tera Grass Molt, and Tera Fairy Lando-T can give you emergency checks to things like Walking Wake, Ogerpon-W, and Gambit, respectively.

Here's a basic bulky offense team I threw together with a fun Tusk Tera. If people newer to competitive Pokémon want to improve their teambuilding, I think pivot-heavy teams like this are a good place to start because it gives you some leeway in the positioning department. This particular team's Dragapult and Wogerpon counterplay is Thunder Wave, but besides that, it's got a pretty good match-up vs. most of the meta.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
How does Darkrai help the metagame? Does it counter Gholdengo? Would this mean that Gholdengo is the real problem and Darkrai is only a way to not ban Gholdengo?
the supposed positive qualities darkrai brings
The fuck is this supposed to mean? Lots of shit doesn't help the metagame (?) but that doesn't mean they're broken. Frankly, someone earlier posted a better response, think it was near the beginning of the previous page.
Went like
Despite not offering any defensive utility, Gen 7 unbanned Hoopa-U and Greninja while Gen 8 unbanned Blaziken.
but much better, not that this isnt bad.

The fuck is this supposed to mean? Lots of shit doesn't help the metagame (?) but that doesn't mean they're broken. Frankly, someone earlier posted a better response, think it was near the beginning of the previous page.
Went like but much better, not that this isnt bad.
A certain unamed forbidden concept of power exists as a term to answer the question of balance. Darkrai might not help the metagame, sure, but does it harm the metagame? I don't think so. It kinda needs to tera to stay safe from Iron Valiant unless it opts for scarf, and it does check some of the problematic things in the meta right now. It's not like dropping Darkrai will change anything happening with anything at the moment. In all honesty it's just more offense on top of the offense we already have. Adding power to power doesn't weaken anything. There's too much things to acknowledge to single out Darkrai. Dropping it to OU now would be such a bad move but once again: it's not problematic.

A certain unamed forbidden concept of power exists as a term to answer the question of balance. Darkrai might not help the metagame, sure, but does it harm the metagame? I don't think so. It kinda needs to tera to stay safe from Iron Valiant unless it opts for scarf, and it does check some of the problematic things in the meta right now. It's not like dropping Darkrai will change anything happening with anything at the moment. In all honesty it's just more offense on top of the offense we already have. Adding power to power doesn't weaken anything. There's too much things to acknowledge to single out Darkrai. Dropping it to OU now would be such a bad move but once again: it's not problematic.
I believe that Darkrai not only won't help the metagame but actively harm it given how it demolishes defensive structures with ease more than anything else in the meta right now while not being deadweight against offense. Again, the only switch-in is Muk-Alola, a niche option that is far from splashable. Darkrai is a monstrous breaker that is above anything that does anything similar in OU right now.

Iron Valiant can't switch in as Darkrai OHKOes it with Psychic or Sludge Bomb, so it's not stopping Darkrai from picking kills, and Darkrai can just Tera to immediately eliminate it. Alternatively, Darkrai can just switch out, and the next time Iron Valiant comes in, there will not be a Booster Energy boost to allow to to outspeed Darkrai.

Last edited:
I believe that Darkrai not only won't help the metagame but actively harm it given how it demolishes defensive structures with ease more than anything else in the meta right now while not being deadweight against offense. Again, the only switch-in is Muk-Alola, a niche option that is far from splashable. Darkrai is a monstrous breaker that is above anything that does anything similar in OU right now.
I mean if you really think it's that bad...

The Bulletproof Kommo-o in my back pocket (it resists Dark Pulse and threatens Darkrai)

And if you REALLY THINK Ice Beam or Psychic is problematic, need I remind you of 2 things: Terastallization, and Kommo-o has not only has Clangorous Soul to aid its defenses, but it can hold an Assault Vest or have Aurora Veil to aid it. Veil imo isn't that much of an investment since it's a whole archetype.

But this could also be the extreme cope in me denying that Zacian Crowned is barely a ZU pokemon since Quagsire walls it.

I have severe issues with trying to acknowledge the actual tier shattering effects of things like that

Hope I'm not derailing things, but do we have an ETA on when the VR will be updated? Sorry I'm just curious as to when that will be. As for darkrai, I'm pretty mixed on it, but I think it could potentially be nonproblematic in the tier, but it also has some points of concern, but that's already been touched upon. Annihilape being potentially retested is definetly more contentious. He's my favorite mon but I feel like it's toolkit can invalidate entire playstyles, so I'm pretty wary

Dropping Darkrai down to answer Rimbombee, of course. It's 1 point higher in speed and can either put it to sleep or Taunt it.
but really, I feel like Darkrai would be fine in OU like how Zamazenta eventually ended up being fine in OU.
Zamazenta is easily walled while Darkrai eats walls for breakfast. Zamazenta is really not a good comparison. The closest analog to Darkrai would be Naganadel only Darkrai can't boost its speed after claiming a kill like Naganadel did.

MattC (Banned), a Psychic from Life Orb Darkrai 2HKOes even max/max specially defensive Assault Vest Kommo-o, so some check you got there. And if you are hard switching Kommo-o into Darkrai, chances are you're telegraphing that you're going to Tera, which can be played around.

I don't see why we're entertaining the idea of introducing a base 125 speed sleeper in this already-too-hostile metagame. Hypnosis has a meme-worthy 60% accuracy, sure, but deciding games on that kind of a coin-flip vs a mon that fast doesn't sound like a healthy interaction to me. Reminds me of HypnoMegaGar from ORAS Ubers minus the trapping.

Not only Hypnosis, but Darkrai has a ton of different options that'll make checking it annoying as hell, like Nasty Plot, Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Knock Off, and tera options like Poison, Ghost, or whatever else for boosting any of its coverage moves.

Bad Dreams + Tera Ghost Hex, in particular, sounds scary as hell for bulky teams to deal with, especially if you pair this with Toxic Spikes for targets other than the one that's asleep.

:darkrai:
Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Dark Pulse

Yeah, no thanks.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't see why we're entertaining the idea of introducing a base 125 speed sleeper in this already-too-hostile metagame. Hypnosis has a meme-worthy 60% accuracy, sure, but deciding games on that kind of a coin-flip vs a mon that fast doesn't sound like a healthy interaction to me. Reminds me of HypnoMegaGar from ORAS Ubers minus the trapping.

Not only Hypnosis, but Darkrai has a ton of different options that'll make checking it annoying as hell, like Nasty Plot, Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Knock Off, and tera options like Poison, Ghost, or whatever else for boosting any of its coverage moves.

Bad Dreams + Tera Ghost Hex, in particular, sounds scary as hell for bulky teams to deal with, especially if you pair this with Toxic Spikes for targets other than the one that's asleep.

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Dark Pulse

Yeah, no thanks.
If darkrai is anywhere near broken, it's not due to it's sleeper set, there's another pokemon that abuses hypnosis much better and can win games much easier than Darkrai ever could:

:iron_valiant:

A theoretical sub hex set sounds incredibly easy to deal with, sacking a mon to sleep isn't unheard of, and 90% of teams will either be equipped with a poison type to remove tspikes, or 6x boots to not care at all. If you want a sub lefties hexer, Pult is right there and doesn't necessitate the tera slot.

I don't see why we're entertaining the idea of introducing a base 125 speed sleeper in this already-too-hostile metagame. Hypnosis has a meme-worthy 60% accuracy, sure, but deciding games on that kind of a coin-flip vs a mon that fast doesn't sound like a healthy interaction to me.

Bad Dreams + Tera Ghost Hex, in particular, sounds scary as hell for bulky teams to deal with.

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Dark Pulse

Yeah, no thanks.
Hypnosis would be ass and inconsistent. If I want to rely on RNG procs, Sub TWave sounds way better, especially when combo'd with Dark Pulse's 20% flinch chance, though being walled by Ting-Lu is not great. I guess a benefit of Hypnosis is that it triggers additional Chip damage from bad Dreams. This might have interesting applications vs a few walls too like Dondozo.

I might give Specs Gren a try after all these discussions since it does seem like it packs a lot of the similar sorts of Utilities that Specs Darkrai packs, though lower Dark Pulse Damage and a worse Oger MU are notable drawbacks.

Hypnosis would be ass and inconsistent. If I want to rely on RNG procs, Sub TWave sounds way better, especially when combo'd with Dark Pulse's 20% flinch chance, though being walled by Ting-Lu is not great. I guess a benefit of Hypnosis is that it triggers additional Chip damage from bad Dreams. This might have interesting applications vs a few walls too like Dondozo.

I might give Specs Gren a try after all these discussions since it does seem like it packs a lot of the similar sorts of Utilities that Specs Darkrai packs, though lower Dark Pulse Damage and a worse Oger MU are notable drawbacks.
Greninja is legit scary. Even with a 103 SpAttack it always surprises you just how much a Life Orb boosted Hydro can do even to dedicated special walls. Plus always threating Battle Bond to weakened teams.

A Darkrai unban to test the waters seems reasonable imo, taking into account the powercreep Drakrai doesnt seem that much of a crazy swepper to be honest.

Gholdengo and Dragapult seem scarier and both are in the tier, also there are plenty of answer to Darkrai, or at least more consistent ones when compared to something like Gambit.

Zamazenta is easily walled while Darkrai eats walls for breakfast. Zamazenta is really not a good comparison. The closest analog to Darkrai would be Naganadel only Darkrai can't boost its speed after claiming a kill like Naganadel did.

MattC (Banned), a Psychic from Life Orb Darkrai 2HKOes even max/max specially defensive Assault Vest Kommo-o, so some check you got there. And if you are hard switching Kommo-o into Darkrai, chances are you're telegraphing that you're going to Tera, which can be played around.
Counterpoint:
So does basically everything in the meta. That's Gen 9 as default. Eating up walls is nothing unique for OU. It's a lot weaker than most of the top mons in terms of firepower. Its better strength is that Darkrai is barely faster than a few threats naturally and has enough firepower to clean up games but not 6-0 them turn 1. Even offensive teams have plenty of answers like Ogerpon-W and priority and Iron Valiant to deal with Darkrai. It deserves to be tested this time around at least.

I think people misunderstand the "doesn't add to the metagame point" a lot (including some of the people making the point themselves). It isn't about not testing it ever, but rather not testing it right now. DLC 2 meta is almost certainly gonna be insane even without considering the insanely busted things we already have, and adding a Pokémon that's been known to be banworthy in previous generations will at best fuel the fire. What the argument presents is that, if you're gonna unban things during an unstable meta, it should be things that solve some of its issues (akin to, for example, BW Garchomp to help with VoltTurn teams and BW Excadrill to help with the MGuard Psychics) and unbans like Darkrai's should be left for later in the generation once the metagame stabilizes, like was done with, say, SWSH Zama-C.

I don’t think Darkrai will be balanced in OU. All it needs is Dark Pulse and Tera Blast Fairy to shred through most of the tier.

Darkrai @ Heavy Duty Boots
Tera Type: Fairy
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Tera Blast
- Hypnosis / Taunt / Substitute / Coverage move

70/90/90 bulk is honestly not that frail and allows Darkrai to reliably live a hit from many of OU’s strongest attackers, especially when combined with Tera Fairy.

The combination of Dark Pulse and Tera Blast Fairy provides near perfect coverage, freeing up a fourth move slot.

Hypnosis seems like a jank move but can actually be rather abusable. Consider that Valiant already often runs hypnosis on its calm mind set to cheese unexpected wins. Darkrai is yet a better hypnosis cheeser since it naturally breaks the best status switch-in in OU in Gholdengo, which calm mind Valiant cannot as readily beat. Hypnosis and Bad Dreams chip enables Darkrai to readily break through special walls like Unaware Clodsire and Blissey.

I think Darkrai will be overbearing in OU. A few tournament games isn’t sufficient evidence to indicate Darkrai is balanced in OU because tournaments feature different teambuilding strategies than ladder and are not generalizable; you can imagine tournament players heavily prepped for Darkrai in particular. I’m not totally adverse to dropping Darkrai just to check off the “we tested this” box, but I expect it will get banned as it starts wrecking havoc.

Last edited:
Counterpoint:
So does basically everything in the meta. That's Gen 9 as default. Eating up walls is nothing unique for OU. It's a lot weaker than most of the top mons in terms of firepower. Its better strength is that Darkrai is barely faster than a few threats naturally and has enough firepower to clean up games but not 6-0 them turn 1. Even offensive teams have plenty of answers like Ogerpon-W and priority and Iron Valiant to deal with Darkrai. It deserves to be tested this time around at least.
It is not true that everything in the meta eats up walls for breakfast. The only Pokemon that have OU-level usage that have that trait are Gholdengo, Kingambit, and Ogerpon-Wellspring, all of 3 of which a sizable portion of the community believe are major problems in the meta.

Saying that Darkrai is a lot weaker than most of the top mons in firepower is also straight up wrong as it has a high Base Special Attack along with good high Base Power coverage options that allow it to be a powerful wallbreaker when used with Life Orb. Dark Pulse from Darkrai is also a much more spammable STAB option than something like Close Combat from Iron Valiant, which is resisted by much more of OU while also reducing Iron Valiant's survivability. Iron Moth mostly runs a Booster Speed set and can't use Nasty Plot to boost its special attack to amazing levels consistently and needs a lot of luck with Fiery Dance Special Attack boosts. Sure, Darkrai is weaker than Kingambit and Ogerpon-Wellspring, but both of those mons get free damage multipliers, so that's not saying all that much.

Ogerpon-Wellspring needs to Tera to live +2 Dark Pulse, so it's hardly some silver bullet to answering Darkrai as you believe it to be. Iron Valiant also has access to its speed boost only once, which can be played around. Yeah, priority is good for answering Darkrai as is the case with many offensive Pokemon, but Darkrai is notably not made of glass and can take a hit and OHKO back most priority users.

Maybe Darkrai does deserve a test although I highly doubt it, but it's already clear what effect it will have on the meta given the extremely limited defensive counterplay. It will just entrench an HO meta.

Last edited:
Honestly, probs time to test it. People thought the council were mad for unbanning Blaziken last gen, and look where it ended up. Imo, it's more comparable to Flutter Mane and Iron Bundle, in terms of power and speed. It's gonna get banned likely, but we then can't say we didn't try.
Test it for what? Kingcheap, Bustedpon, and Cheese-a-phy are still running wild. Along with Tera. Testing another UUUber is a waste of time.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
Honestly, probs time to test it. People thought the council were mad for unbanning Blaziken last gen, and look where it ended up. Imo, it's more comparable to Flutter Mane and Iron Bundle, in terms of power and speed. It's gonna get banned likely, but we then can't say we didn't try.
i dont necessarily disagree w/ a darkrai retest in the future but i also feel like the comparison you made to flutter mane and iron bundle would probably make some people not want to unban it anytime soon

anyways if youre gonna drop darkrai then might as well drop it at the start of DLC2 especially given the council drops everything at the start of DLC2. will it be balanced? debatable but i think time will tell. but if there is one thing i am certain about, its that darkrai should not be unbanned now or any time between now and DLC2

Last edited:
Test it for what? Kingcheap, Bustedpon, and Cheese-a-phy are still running wild. Along with Tera. Testing another UUUber is a waste of time.
i dont necessarily disagree w/ a darkrai retest in the future but i also feel like the comparison you made to flutter mane and iron bundle would probably make some people not want to unban it anytime soon

anyways if youre gonna drop darkrai then might as well drop it at the start of DLC2 especially given the council drops everything at the start of DLC2. will it be balanced? debatable but i think time will tell. but if there is one thing i am certain about, its that darkrai should not be unbanned now or any time between now and DLC2
Yeah, I meant for DLC2. Not now, as that would be just plain stupid (I'd rather see a Ghold suspect than a Darkrai drop)

The reason I compare more to flutter and bundle over spectrier, is more that spectrier (traditionally) struggled with tanky normal and darks (Though draining kiss flipped that dark matchup), and the grim neigh boosting being silly. Flutter and bundle are more raw power

You sound so much like Trump it's uncanny. Always so negative and always complaining about Tera. Gambit I'll accept, but Waterpon and Manaphy seem to have been welcomed by the community, and we don't need another Stored Power tangent please and thank you

As for the Darkrai of it all, it's always been one of my fav mons designwise it looks super edgy and dark, I remember going to New Moon Island to catch it in DPP, fond memories of when I was a kid hehe

I think that we don't lose anything testing it in OU, but I think we should compromise and schedule its retest for a later date than release day. I honestly think that would be the best method for most things. So many people want everything banned and so many others want everything unbanned. If we were to unban some, ban some and then set a semi-firm date on when to retest certain stuff, I think everybody would be satisfied. Darkrai at release day is not going to wreck the tier in half, but it certainly won't help in balancing.

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Dark Pulse

Yeah, no thanks.
Literally nobody is going to run Hypnosis on Darkrai when iron valiant exists and is faster, has all of the moves you mentioned save for wisp and plot (wisp is another move I find pretty unlikely one would choose to spend a moveslot on on darkrai in particular.) hypnosis/nasty plot/2 attacks is comedically poor offensive coverage (and again, iron valiant is a normal part of the metagame that does this better than darkrai with the exotic64 set.) not convinced that this is better than wisp hex pult either

sleep clause exists, toxic spikes are barely real, bad dreams chip is extremely insignificant, no one is going to run this bad set

This Part is addressed at the whole thread, not the post I'm quoting: please stop using "contributes nothing (positive) to the tier," as an argument, this is the worlds fakest argument and means literally NOTHING. Every Pokémon brings something to the tier, if it didn't you wouldn't have a problem with its presence. You dislike what it brings to the tier. Say it outright. But don't hide behind objective language to pretend that your argument isn't completely subjective, because it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)