Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who did vote action overwhelmingly voted for tera on preview rather than an outright ban. Whether you like it or not, tera would still be here regardless if a couple votes went in the other direction, it would just be a small modification. When the next suspect happens after the release of DLC2, put your money where your mouth is, get reqs, and vote ban. The arguments can stop. There's a reason there was a whole thread dedicated to it and a reason it is locked. Everything that has needed to be said has been said.
honestly, the ban voters should be grateful the first suspect failed. if it succeeded and tera preview was implemented, a second suspect would almost certainly fail because a big chunk of the tera preview supporters would be voting for no further action. this was the only way the ban camp ever stood a chance. even though it still doesn't

Skill swap is literally ass vs Gliscor, it just switches out into something else that doesn't mind Ribombee and is back to normal. Something Ribombee can do to it, which I don't see people talking about much, is Switcheroo Spcs or Scarf onto it
You use Skill Swap after a while when Gliscor had been on the field for a decent time. The toxic counter actually still increases on Poison Heal Pokemon, which lets the opponent deal massive sudden damage when they remove the ability.
Also it’s not like Rimbombee has that many better options. It’s like when Ninetales-A used Hail (or uses Snowscape now) whenever opposing weather comes in. It uses it because all the other choices are pretty bad after you filled the 3 other moves.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Also it’s not like Rimbombee has that many better options. It’s like when Ninetales-A used Hail (or uses Snowscape now) whenever opposing weather comes in. It uses it because all the other choices are pretty bad after you filled the 3 other moves.
This isn't really true, Ribombee's moveset is pretty much set in stone, with skill swap being an incredibly niche option.

You'll be hard pressed to find any Ribombee's that aren't Sticky Web/Stun Spore/Moonblast/Psychic, being able to damage a Glimmora lead is super valuable with psychic.

View attachment 561090

Summary of my experience with webs. L Booster. (because speed is lowered, the booster activates the attacking stats of speed boosting mons instead of speed)

thanks Lifeismyth for teaching me how to do this, it took so long to crop all of the pngs
how am i only now learning that booster energy factors in stat stage changes when it decides what to boost

anyway, man do i wish quark drive and protosynthesis could be skill swapped. i would have loved to see booster energy ribombee becoming a thing

how am i only now learning that booster energy factors in stat stage changes when it decides what to boost

anyway, man do i wish quark drive and protosynthesis could be skill swapped. i would have loved to see booster energy ribombee becoming a thing
Wait wait wait. Let's say a mon has boosted attack upon activation. If that mon were to be intimidated, lowering its pre-augmented attack below its speed, would the boost switch which stat is being boosted? Is this the case on cart?

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre

What's weird is that (at least on PS!) booster activation and hazard interaction don't happen in a fixed order, so sometimes a paradox mon will hit the webs first and then get a dud boost, while at other times the booster will activate first, give a +spe boost to the user and *then* the webs will decrease its speed.

From what I gathered, on PS! it seems to be related to the raw speed stats of the paradox vs their opponents, but I'm sure this has been researched and there is a definitive answer.

Also in my experience Stun Spore has been bad, it misses far too much for the value it is supposed to provide. Skill Swap is more situational, but with how many mons depend upon their abilities nowadays it finds more use in practice than what one would think. The big use is of course to push webs through Hat.

Last edited:

Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
What's weird is that (at least on PS!) booster activation and hazard interaction don't happen in a fixed order, so sometimes a paradox mon will hit the webs first and then get a dud boost, while at other times the booster will activate first, give a +spe boost to the user and *then* the webs will decrease its speed.

From what I gathered, on PS! it seems to be related to the raw speed stats of the paradox vs their opponents, but I'm sure this has been researched and there is a definitive answer.
Nope, its got nothing to do with raw speed
its quite simple actually

if you send out a mon with booster energy at the start of a turn, the order will be webs -> booster energy, resulting in never getting a speed boost from booster
however, if you switch out a mon in the middle of a turn and send in the booster energy mon, the order will always be booster energy -> then webs, so you always boost your speed.

no, its not a bug, it works the same way on cart iirc
im surprised that very little people know about this interaction despite it happening so often

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre
Nope, its got nothing to do with raw speed
its quite simple actually

if you send out a mon with booster energy at the start of a turn, the order will be webs -> booster energy, resulting in never getting a speed boost from booster
however, if you switch out a mon in the middle of a turn and send in the booster energy mon, the order will always be booster energy -> then webs, so you always boost your speed.

no, its not a bug, it works the same way on cart iirc
im surprised that very little people know about this interaction despite it happening so often
It's certainly a simple interaction, but not a very obvious one! Still, it's good to know for playing vs webs, for instance it means that Encoring a setup move with your booster Val can still work depending on the circumstances.

Hello,
Does anyone know a reliable answer to this Iron Moth set?
View attachment 560916
I just feel like you have to sack your bulky poison (e.g pex or glowking) to force the tera, and then revenge kill with rillaboom or something, or let something die and revenge with booster val psyshock. Either way, I feel like you gotta let something die, unless you're running Alolo/Bliss stall lol.
I find iron moth a very tricky mon to face, does anyone know any good answers to these sets? Thanks in advance

I know ting-lu can manage non energy ball sets well, but its weak to toxic and val close combat and has no recovery outside of lefties so idk
thank you to everyone who replied to my post here! Ive changed my glowking to a better tera type to handle iron moth sets.

I learned this the hard way earlier this gen. When I brought valiant in, booster activated on spa instead of spe and I just forfeited...

IMO chomp is still great with scale shot, been using it similar to how bax was on ho teams with tera electric and feel like it can regularly do good work. expecting a rise to OU proper next month tbh

I feel like physical pult just feels so much better than special pult for some reason. Is it me? Or physical pult cookin
Physical pult is worse due to lacking reliable ghost stab. It's best stab is phantom force, which is a two turn move, thus it can be easily predicted and you can also lose a lot of momentum. Having to rely on either phantom force or tera blast ghost is bad because i already mentioned phantom force, but having to tera just for a reliable stab is not that good.

Also, can we just get rid of gambit? I should really rename myself to number 1 gambit hater
a suspect for it will come in time. but if the song isn't "a farewell to kings", whose lyrics happen to be a perfect description of how we fucked up the gambit suspect in the first place, then so help me i will get reqs and vote dnb until they make a suspect where it is

Last edited:

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
a suspect for it will come in time. but if the song isn't "a farewell to kings", whose lyrics happen to be a perfect description of how we fucked up the gambit suspect in the first place, then so help me i will get reqs and vote dnb until they make a suspect where it is
Counterpoint, there are like a dozen good enough songs you can use for a Kingambit suspect.

Emperor's New Clothes, Soldier Poet King, Be Prepared, Royals, you can make a ton of great song picks. Im still seething and malding that Bad Moon Rising was not picked for Blood Moon.

Counterpoint, there are like a dozen good enough songs you can use for a Kingambit suspect.

Emperor's New Clothes, Soldier Poet King, Be Prepared, Royals, you can make a ton of great song picks. Im still seething and malding that Bad Moon Rising was not picked for Blood Moon.
counter-counterpoint: none of those were written by rush, which is a consideration that should trump everything else in terms of song choice

For those that have played OU for more than one Gen, why do you like OU specifically? Is it simply because of the "higher average power" of the tier, or do you have a favourite that was/is consistently an OU mon?
OU has unique properties that no other tiers have. Ubers has a different tiering policy that makes it not even comparable, as it's completely fine with centralization in exchange for fewer bans. As for the lower tiers, they have the annoying quality that they can lose mons if the mon gets enough usage in a higher tier. It's annoying that a mon which is balanced in UU can become suddenly unavailable due to rising to OU. That's why I believe in the abstract sense, OU will always be the "best tier" after the tier stabilizes. Gen 9 and gen 8 have sort of challenged the ability for current gen OU to ever reach a state of stability, with constant DLC's and new raid mons sprinkling in and shaking things up before more than a few broken mons can be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)