Smogon Tournament #6 Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was free to battle late yesterday and today, but unfortunately my opponent failed to contact me back. I doubt that I'll be able to battle him tomorrow due to time zone difficulties, but I did warn him beforehand that these last two days would be ideal for us to battle.
"late yesterday" was like 1 am for me, and yesterday i didnt get your pm thats right, but dont let it look like if its all my fault please, i hope we can get this done today or sonuis shall do a coinflip i guess.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I cleaned up some of the rules (species clause is more than one, not more than two, for instance), but I have one issue that still needs clarification.

Self-KO Clause

* If both players are down to one Pokémon each, you are not allowed to use a move that KOs both Pokémon to force a tie.
o Should a move which causes recoil damage ends the game in a tie, then the match will be redone.

The first section says you're not allowed to use a move that would force a tie, implying that doing so causes the player that used the move to lose. The second section says that if it happens, it's a tie and you rematch. One of those two sections should be deleted.

I cleaned up some of the rules (species clause is more than one, not more than two, for instance), but I have one issue that still needs clarification.

Self-KO Clause

* If both players are down to one Pokémon each, you are not allowed to use a move that KOs both Pokémon to force a tie.
o Should a move which causes recoil damage ends the game in a tie, then the match will be redone.

The first section says you're not allowed to use a move that would force a tie, implying that doing so causes the player that used the move to lose. The second section says that if it happens, it's a tie and you rematch. One of those two sections should be deleted.
There is a difference between using Explosion to finish off your opponent last poke, os using something like Flare Blitz or Wood Hammer to KILL IT and DIE from recoil. When you use Explosion, you are FORCING a tie. When you use an atk move, kill the pokemon and THEN die, you're not forcing a tie, you're trying to kill your opponents pokemon, but sometimes, Life Orb damage or recoil finishes you off too.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There is a difference between using Explosion to finish off your opponent last poke, os using something like Flare Blitz or Wood Hammer to KILL IT and DIE from recoil. When you use Explosion, you are FORCING a tie. When you use an atk move, kill the pokemon and THEN die, you're not forcing a tie, you're trying to kill your opponents pokemon, but sometimes, Life Orb damage or recoil finishes you off too.
When I'm at HP low enough for recoil to kill me, I'm forcing a tie by using a recoil move.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
But itd be better to force a tie then use a move that might not kill your opponent.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
When I'm at HP low enough for recoil to kill me, I'm forcing a tie by using a recoil move.
However, you don't KNOW that the recoil move will kill you. Suppose you use Flare Blitz with your Infernape who has 10 HP remaining (assume it has no Life Orb for this scenario as that matter is trivial). You see the opposing Rotom has X% of its health left. However, you don't know whether that is enough health for the recoil to kill you. If it has 30+ HP remaining, you will have "forced a tie", or caused a draw. However, if it has 29- HP remaining, Infernape does not die and the Infernape user wins. Since the player has no way of knowing the defending Pokemon's exact HP amount, it should not be a forced loss upon the recoil move user.

obi

formerly david stone
If you want to get into scenarios like that, I could be using Explosion against Quagsire. I don't know if it's Water Absorb or Damp in 100% of the cases, therefore the rule should not be in effect for Explosion and Selfdestruct, either.

Was held up by unforseen circumstances, namely not getting home from work until 8:30. My bad. Sonius, might we be granted an extra day's extension?

• Self-KO Clause
    • If both players are down to one Pokémon each, you are not allowed to use a move that KOs both Pokémon to force a tie.
      • Should a move which causes recoil damage ends the game in a tie, then the match will be redone.
        • Shoddybattle does not have ties. So, always calculate the recoil damage before deciding the winner if it comes close to the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)