Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
could i get a definition for the term 'suicide lead'? I'm pretty sure i know but I would just like to clarify.
A Pokémon designed to accomplish its goal (hazards, screens, trick room, whatever) and then die immediately after (being ko’d, explosion, final gambit/memento, whatever) for something else to come in and make use of its setup.
A bit of additional info: it may also do other things (whether that be keeping rocks off w spin [excadrill] defog [aerodactyl], taunting [loads], or even paralyzing). The fundamental idea is you are accepting playing 5v6 if you have hazards/screens/whatever up and a free switch (eg if they use a water type to kill your lead, then you can go to your grass type and apply pressure). Explosion etc are not necessary but often do appear - often they just roll w a sash

I have actually a trouble with my Showdown sometimes it's normal but when I connecté sometimes I Lost all my teams and m'y saves are erase too. Do you know how Can I fixe this ???

I have actually a trouble with my Showdown sometimes it's normal but when I connecté sometimes I Lost all my teams and m'y saves are erase too. Do you know how Can I fixe this ???
teams are stored locally so if you regularly clear your cookies that might be why

Melt Gibson

planting gardens in the potholes
is a Forum Moderator
as someone said above if you regularly clear out your cookies then that's probably it, but also if you're using showdown on a different device then that's probably the issue as teams are stored on the device, not your account

Melt Gibson

is a Forum Moderator
Sometimes all my teams are wiped from showdown. Is it a browser issue and how do i prevent it from happening?
see post above mine, but also if you use showdown on a different device (say you usually use it on your computer, but sometimes use it on your phone instead) that could also be the issue since teams are saved to browser cookies which are specific to the device

see post above mine, but also if you use showdown on a different device (say you usually use it on your computer, but sometimes use it on your phone instead) that could also be the issue since teams are saved to browser cookies which are specific to the device
ah yes that makes sense, it started happening when i started playing on my phone. do i have to stop playing on other devices or is there another way to circumvent this problem?

Melt Gibson

is a Forum Moderator
ah yes that makes sense, it started happening when i started playing on my phone. do i have to stop playing on other devices or is there another way to circumvent this problem?
you would have to port all of your teams manually to your phone unfortunately

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
Like Melt Gibson said, you can import teams to text, save them in a Google Doc or something, and open it on your phone, copy it, and get your teams. There's no other way though, unfortunately.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
I honestly don't mean for this to come across as criticism or at all accusatory of anyone, but I was wondering, why were many of the Smogon dex entries so sparse for SS? I feel like Smogon's dex is easily one of the farthest reaching and potentially most important aspects of the site, in regard to how influential it is across the larger Pokemon fanbase; maybe I'm biased, but speaking from personal experience, I can remember being a young kid and often referring to Smogon's dex while planning my playthroughs throughout the games, without knowing anything about Smogon's forums, and I don't imagine that is an uncommon occurrence. While up through SM the dex entries seem pretty comprehensive and detailed for essentially all of the relevant mons in a tier (although the formatting of SM Ubers entries bothers me a little, the information is still good), the same can't be said for SS, or at least SS OU. Unless I'm misremembering, I believe that while SS was the current gen, the dex entries took a while to get going, which resulted in using the calc tending to be a little more cumbersome as well, but that's understandable for any newer generation. However, if you look at some of the dex entries now, they're still pretty incomplete. Melmetal is a top 5 mon in SS OU based on the current viability rankings but there aren't any descriptions for any of its sets in Melmetal's SS OU dex entry. Tapu Lele is an A+ mon but it also doesn't have any descriptions in its dex entry. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but Specially Defensive Landorus-Therian was the flagship set for the best mon in the tier, but there also isn't any elaboration on that set in Lando's dex entry either. I'm sure there are other examples as well, but those were three of the most prominent that I found.

Again, I don't want to come across as ungrateful or disparaging at all, since I understand that a ton of work (which is also obviously all volunteer work) goes into making the dex entries, and the SS OU dex does appear to be more complete than it use to be. It also seems to me like many of the SS tiers besides OU have more thoroughly completed dex entires, although I didn't really play many non-OU tiers in SS so I can't say that with complete certainty. Really, I'm just curious as to if anything happened with the dex entries in SS OU and if there are any plans on expanding some of the dex entries still? I understand that SS OU isn't a terribly well regarded or highly played tier, especially now that it is no longer the current gen, so that may hurt the likelihood of the dex being revisited as well. Also, I'm not going to raise similar questions about the SV OU dex at this point, since obviously its a new generation that is still undergoing major developments/has DLC looming, but I'd be curious as well if anyone had any input on how the creation of the SV OU dex appears to be going or how it projects out to be.

Last edited:

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
although the formatting of SM Ubers entries bothers me a little,
lol

the information is still good
lmao, even.

OK enough shitting on the section I run. The tl;dr is that SS OU C&C was just in a bad spot for a real long time where good players wanted other good players to write analyses and check them for errors without wanting to engage themselves. Couple this elitist attitude with a lack of volunteers at the time AND the fact that staff at the time didn't push hard enough and you alternate between too many cooks in the kitchen or 0 cooks.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
lol

lmao, even.

OK enough shitting on the section I run. The tl;dr is that SS OU C&C was just in a bad spot for a real long time where good players wanted other good players to write analyses and check them for errors without wanting to engage themselves. Couple this elitist attitude with a lack of volunteers at the time AND the fact that staff at the time didn't push hard enough and you alternate between too many cooks in the kitchen or 0 cooks.
Lol, sorry if I came across poorly regarding the SM Ubers entries. I just remembered that they were different because they were bulleted, but obviously that isn’t a problem and I do truly appreciate all of the work that’s gone into them and all of the other dex entries; again, the dex feels in some ways to me like the best and most important part of Smogon. And thank you for the information regarding what happened with the SS OU entries!

Why do Smogon tournaments (official and unofficial) generally use a week to week schedule? Wouldn't things like the chatroom tours work better on average, esp. for certain formats?

Less ways to cheat, less time to scout, don't need to TO every day, and makes the spectator experience a lot easier. I've been lurking threads for different tournaments and it feels like 1/3rd matches are settled by activity, something that never happens when everyone is on board to play the entire tournament at a certain time, you only have to be available at one time block and you're good and as a TO there are way less moral decisions (especially subjective) you have to make.

For some tournaments, such as OU, there is an element of "How does the meta evolve each week?" but also tournaments such as Random Battles tournaments on forum I've seen also do this, and that has no prepping, or making a team, and basically no evolving format outside of the occasional changes to sets, or new Pokemon drops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)