Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Is there much degeneracy in VGC in the absence of these bans?
considering they balance the game around this format, typically no. Whenever there is its usually addressed in future games, such as nerfing Dark Void, nerfing Mega Kangaskhan and -ate Abilities like Mega Salamence's and Sylveon's, and restricting the distribution of Ally Switch.

I think it would be helpful if all of the tier pages on the Smogon Dex linked to resources like VRs and Sample Teams for the tier. At the moment only about half of the OU tiers have this as GSC, ADV, DPP, and BW do not. Lower tiers are, understandably, much more inconsistent with how the pages are formatted.

In case I poorly explained something, I am talking about these pages:
https://www.smogon.com/dex/rb/formats/ou/ - Has resources linked
https://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/formats/ou/ - Does not

Also the SV OU page still has the old Viability List linked instead of the Viability Rankings

Theia

Say hello to the robots
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
I think it would be helpful if all of the tier pages on the Smogon Dex linked to resources like VRs and Sample Teams for the tier. At the moment only about half of the OU tiers have this as GSC, ADV, DPP, and BW do not. Lower tiers are, understandably, much more inconsistent with how the pages are formatted.

In case I poorly explained something, I am talking about these pages:
https://www.smogon.com/dex/rb/formats/ou/ - Has resources linked
https://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/formats/ou/ - Does not

Also the SV OU page still has the old Viability List linked instead of the Viability Rankings
Hiya! I've added the relevant resources to the GSC, ADV, DPP, and BW OU pages, as well as removed or updated the outdated links on the ORAS, SM, and SS OU pages. I've also contacted the RoA Leaders regarding any resources that are missing or outdated with no current version. I didn't touch the SV page since 1) I don't generally touch current gen stuff and 2) We're expecting HOME to come out any day now, so it'll just be outdated again soon anyways.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

How come Counter is only really used in RBY (with the exception of Wobbuffett)? is it just that it's a somewhat more situational Sucker Punch? Is it that you're forced to take damage for it to do anything?

How come Counter is only really used in RBY (with the exception of Wobbuffett)? is it just that it's a somewhat more situational Sucker Punch? Is it that you're forced to take damage for it to do anything?
Idk why you’re comparing to Sucker Punch but in RBY there’s way less moves so some stuff just runs Counter because there’s nothing else lol. Also there’s a ton of Normal-type attacks and Counter only works against those and Fighting moves; Counter can punish Body Slam and Hyper Beam which are like the most spammable moves. Also everything in RBY can have maxed out evs so everything can be bulkier than other gens to take hits and Counter more effectively

Also noteworthy Counter works differently in RBY and works even if the last moved was used on a different turn.

If a Tauros gets a kill with Hyper Beam, opponent goes Chansey and clicks Counter as Tauros switches out, Counter will still use that previous Hyper Beam for damage calc.

As to why it's used less in later gens, I don't think that statement is true. Numerous mons carry Counter in other settings. No precise example in mind but I think this is notably commonly found on some really frail Sash Leads in DPP lower tiers, as those can get good trades using it/punish U-Turn (this DPPPL game is a nice example)

Hey there after screwing around on https://play.pseudo.gq while PS is down I think implementing the description feature would be cool yes I know we have status commands but they are clunky asf and feel like shit to use if you don't feel like copying a side server just improve the Status commands and make it more streamlined and easy to use that's all thanks for trying to get it back up luv you all.

Hi. Is there a 2 players vs 2 players league me and my brother can join?
If not, can we do it ourselves and invite other partners? Which admin can help me with tutorials on doing this?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Many people create alts on Smogon without knowing that it is against the rules. Would it be possible to create a message above the register button, saying that it is against the rules to do so? Something that would look like this:
View attachment 516045
Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 19.11.28.png

It's in the rules, even if we plaster it all over there's no guarantee people will read and understand it. Regardless, we deal with many benign altings and we can easily resolve most of them without infracting anyway.

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 516055
It's in the rules, even if we plaster it all over there's no guarantee people will read and understand it. Regardless, we deal with many benign altings and we can easily resolve most of them without infracting anyway.
I understand it's in the rules, but I'd argue that it would be more efficient to tell people of the rule where they would most likely break it, rather than have them read an entire document because realistically most people tick the box without reading the terms, privacy policy, and rules.
I agree it's not a -huge- issue because its usually a case of people not reading the rules, but I'd imagine it's slightly annoying for Senior Staff because they ultimately have to deal with it, and it would be better if they didn't have to deal with that in the first place.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Hi, Is there a place where you can see how many battles are played each day in total for each metagame?
smogon usage stats gathers the monthly numbers of ladder games in each format

https://www.smogon.com/stats/

Go to the month you want then click the format with 0 which I think shows the total stats, regardless of glicko (not gxe) (the numbers like 1500 shows 1500+ glicko games)

idk if there’s a way to get daily number of games but this is the closest thing I’m aware of (and of course you can divide by the number of days in that month to get an approximate guess)

I'm a great player
Dang I'm good
But I don't think my teambuilding is good, I just battle like an animal with top meta threats or copy teams
What would be a fast way to get someone tutor me in battling
Or is there a youtube channel that helps in team building
Someone objective like Freezai or Jimothy Cool

I'm a great player
Dang I'm good
But I don't think my teambuilding is good, I just battle like an animal with top meta threats or copy teams
What would be a fast way to get someone tutor me in battling
Or is there a youtube channel that helps in team building
Someone objective like Freezai or Jimothy Cool
Battling 101 is perfect for this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)