Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - July 2008

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DougJustDoug for king of Smogon.

Alas, I haven't even been to the Smogon server, it got set up while I was on a cruise and I haven't opened Shoddy since. I should give the UU ladder a try again some time.

Also, so I can look at this later.

Code:
| Infernape  | Ability      | Blaze            |   100.0 | 
| Infernape  | Item         | Life Orb         |    62.4 | 
| Infernape  | Item         | Choice Scarf     |     9.6 | 
| Infernape  | Item         | Other (43)       |     0.6 | 
| Infernape  | Nature       | Naive            |    55.2 | 
| Infernape  | Nature       | Jolly            |    12.2 | 
| Infernape  | Nature       | Hasty            |    11.1 | 
| Infernape  | Nature       | Other (21)       |     1.0 | 
| Infernape  | HP EV        | None             |    96.2 | 
| Infernape  | HP EV        | Other (6)        |     0.6 | 
| Infernape  | Attack EV    | Very Low (<50)   |    44.6 | 
| Infernape  | Attack EV    | Max              |    24.0 | 
| Infernape  | Attack EV    | None             |    14.9 | 
| Infernape  | Attack EV    | Other (4)        |     4.2 | 
| Infernape  | Defense EV   | None             |    97.8 | 
| Infernape  | Defense EV   | Other (6)        |     0.4 | 
| Infernape  | SpAttack EV  | Max              |    52.4 | 
| Infernape  | SpAttack EV  | None             |    25.1 | 
| Infernape  | SpAttack EV  | Other (5)        |     4.5 | 
| Infernape  | SpDefense EV | None             |    97.8 | 
| Infernape  | SpDefense EV | Other (6)        |     0.4 | 
| Infernape  | Speed EV     | Max              |    50.1 | 
| Infernape  | Speed EV     | Very High (200+) |    43.7 | 
| Infernape  | Speed EV     | Other (5)        |     1.2 | 
| Infernape  | Move         | Close Combat     |    93.9 | 
| Infernape  | Move         | Grass Knot       |    58.0 | 
| Infernape  | Move         | Flamethrower     |    53.5 | 
| Infernape  | Move         | Hidden Power     |    42.8 | 
| Infernape  | Move         | Nasty Plot       |    26.1 | 
| Infernape  | Move         | Flare Blitz      |    17.9 | 
| Infernape  | Move         | Other (59)       |     1.8 |
Interesting, only 23% of Apes run +Speed... That could be a fun thing to abuse...

| Infernape | Nature | Naive | 55.2 |

| Infernape | Nature | Hasty | 11.1 |

People follow the smogon dex religiously. Naive is only slightly more preferable than hasty. If at all, you don't really want to be taking hits in the first place. Anyway this made me lol a little so I thought i'd bring it up.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Also note that naive boosts speed, so that makes 79% of infernapes running +speed.

Have a nice day.

Deoxys-E lives up to his speed with a usage run like that. Now I can sit back and lol at all the people who said he was a garbage Pokemon, too weak to be considered a real threat.

Wow. Just, wow. Great job, Doug. This is possibly the most useful usage list in the history of Shoddy ever. It must've taken a while to compile going through that many logs.

Props to ya.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just wanted to ask why is stuff like Cresselia, Electivire and Celebi listed in the UU usages as well, though I suspect it's just teething problems with UU play at the start.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just so I dont lose this number:

The total number of pokemon used on standard ladder is 1413360, which means 235560 teams.

Which means Garchomp is used on 35% of all teams.

Have a nice day.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wow. Just, wow. Great job, Doug. This is possibly the most useful usage list in the history of Shoddy ever. It must've taken a while to compile going through that many logs.

Props to ya.
Thanks to some changes made by Colin about a month ago, the logs actually contain specific information that is intended to be parsed programmatically. So, finding the information in the logs is not as hard as it may seem. Collecting, saving, error handling, and reporting the statistics was the hardest part. Getting the raw data itself was pretty easy.

Yes, parsing a couple hundred thousand battle logs takes a very long time. Because of that, testing was the most frustrating part of the coding process. Every time there was a bug, I would have to fix it and re-run, which would take more than an hour sometimes. Doing that over and over was very exasperating. But, now that it works, it's much less of a pain to improve.

Just wanted to ask why is stuff like Cresselia, Electivire and Celebi listed in the UU usages as well, though I suspect it's just teething problems with UU play at the start.
There are two likely causes -- 1) There were ladder bugs at the very beginning of the UU ladder. Those bugs were quickly fixed. But any battles conducted prior to the fix would report in the stats. 2) There was a nasty bug that caused some logs to occasionally get corrupted text. It's possible that corrupted text could cause the program to assign a log to the wrong ladder.

On August 3, I fixed the bug that caused the corruption. So it should not be an issue for the August stats, except for the first two days of battling. The percentage of corrupted logs was very small before, so it will be even smaller in August, and non-existent in September stats forward.

Just so I dont lose this number:

The total number of pokemon used on standard ladder is 1413360, which means 235560 teams.

Which means Garchomp is used on 35% of all teams.

Have a nice day.
I can report these percentages in the stats. I have the total number of battles parsed per ladder, so it is very easy to report this. I'll add that in my next version of the stats -- which should be complete a little later today.
*crosses fingers*

Wow, awesome list, it must have been a lot of hard work, I just want a list of the new OU's and the such;). It's funny to see all of the sets used, I'm going to check out the Chomp...

I use heatproof zong as a lead, I always come out on top against heatran and infernape leads and nobody dares to EQ me as their first move.

I thought I was the only one that used it, I've never seen anyone else using it.

I have a question: why are the Unrated statistics so different to ladder ones? The biggest difference is Charizard, which is a high OU in unrated... why?

I think I could answer that with: Smogon is a big name in Pokemon and a lot of new people come on to the server recognizing. They usually use Pokemon Like Charizard and Mewtwo because they generally lack skill. Either these people dont know about ladder or just wont use it because mewtwo and dialga are banned there I dont know but they then procede to use charizard and such in unrated battles.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Fantastic work, Doug. But what I'm also curious to see the usage of each Pokemon by the rank of the players using them, like X-Act did for June.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm wondering, how did you decide which attacks show up on the move listing and which didn't? I am very interested in the difference between pokemon who have the option of using Flamethrower and Fire Blast, and on other pokemon such as Celebi, who have a very high "other" move percentage.

Great statistics though. I am very pleased with the huge spike in Deoxys usage over the last couple of months, since the solidification into OU.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm wondering, how did you decide which attacks show up on the move listing and which didn't? I am very interested in the difference between pokemon who have the option of using Flamethrower and Fire Blast, and on other pokemon such as Celebi, who have a very high "other" move percentage.

Great statistics though. I am very pleased with the huge spike in Deoxys usage over the last couple of months, since the solidification into OU.
The moves are ranked in order of usage. There is no set limit. It was a sliding scale. Here's the logic for ALL entries in the list, not just moves:

All entries are sorted by percentage, highest percentage first. Then the program processes each one, starting from the top, deciding whether to show the entry or roll it into Other.

If there are 2 or less entries, then both are always shown.
If the entry has >20%, it is always shown.
If the entry has <20% AND there are already 7 or more displayed entries, then the entry is rolled into Other.
If the entry has <15% AND there are already 5 or more displayed entries, then the entry is rolled into Other.
If the entry has <10% AND there are already 3 or more displayed entries, then the entry is rolled into Other.
If the entry has <5%, it is rolled into Other.

There's also some special logic to prevent one lone entry being rolled into Other.

I am currently in the process of tweaking the stats to eliminate some of the "noise" in Other. And, I will be changing the way the Other percentage is calculated and displayed. I will post about the changes when the results are complete.

This is excellent! As someone who likes to find unique pokemon to breed/SR/chain for Wi-Fi that will be popular, this is excellent. Although it's obviously not designed for that purpose, it works wonders, so I'll thank you on behalf of the Wi-Fi Forum.

A few things confuse me, however, like the extraordinary amount of Lonely natures where they don't seem to belong. I imagine this is because Shoddy defaults to Lonely, but stats like 13% of Articunos, Blastoises and Manaphys seems a little outlandish to me. An error perhaps, or just a lot of forgetful people?

Yeah, specs luke is fantastic and so forgotten. You can even revenge kill those other lukes with Vacuum Wave. Run timid so they can't touch you.
According to damage calcs life orb bullet punch hits luke for (19.5% - 23.4%), which is garbage, he takes LO damage then you hit with vacuum wave for (94.33% - 111.35%) (not modest). I don't think you need to worry about outspeeding something that gets completely raped. unless you worry about CC, in which case vacuum wave beats him out anyways, and if he's taken 1 LO recoil you win.

For D-E, I love priority moves (especially sucker punch, which can almost 1hko him), so him being fast doesn't really matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)