Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - July 2008

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it me, or is anyone else a little overwhelmed by Deoxys' sudden rise to the top of the charts? And... what the hell happened to Tyranitar? Placed in 10th position where nearly a 1/3 of them lead - as shown by its 4th position on the board.

Well worked on, Doug. Thank you very much!

I'm really suprised Claydol is #2. Steelix being #1 isnt surprising though, I see them in every team.
Clefable only #5 is kinda interesting, maybe people will stop bitching about her usage a little now!

edit: oh and, nice job on the list!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
"Other" is the average of all Items grouped in Other. Therefore, multiply the number in parentheses by the Percent. All Categories should equal 100% (or very close) except Moves.

I'm considering some changes to Other, to make it a little better. I'll update all the lists, if I am successful.

Also, I will break out Hidden Powers separately. That was an oversight, that I didn't catch until the very last minute. I really didn't want to go back and rerun everything. I'll do it in the next version.

yea that list is surprising, i see mass clefable, steelix. not that much claydol, and leafeon at #10 i have seen once?
looking through the pokes list is interesting as well.

Ninjask Item Focus Sash 38.4
Ninjask Item Leftovers 37.3
Ninjask Item Liechi Berry 10.1
Ninjask Move Substitute 69.3

Bronzong Ability Levitate 88.2
Bronzong Ability Heatproof 11.8

surprising stats, i though heatproof zong would have come up a bit more with azelf floating around, jask.. well main moveset listed on the site is beaten by the unknown sashjask, again that is azelf and deoxys, but still some do origional role. perhaps it is time to look at analysis again and use this findings to write some new ones up.

this list is insane you can find out anything you wish to find out.

Is it me, or is anyone else a little overwhelmed by Deoxys' sudden rise to the top of the charts? And... what the hell happened to Tyranitar? Placed in 10th position where nearly a 1/3 of them lead - as shown by its 4th position on the board.

Well worked on, Doug. Thank you very much!
Yeah, one of the first things I noticed was Deoxys position.
But this is seriously way cool, I looked at that Garchomp moveset thing first, and Yache seems to be dominating the position as number one set, which is no good for my team. :-(

Also, I was real interested in looking at the leads too since my past battles have seen those darned Azelf, or other suicide leads everywhere. Number 2, holy crap that's a fast rise.

But really nice job, I really like looking at all of the popular movesets.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this is mind blowing...

anyone who is even slightly surprised by deoxys-E though shouldnt be...quite frankly im surprised it isnt higher up.

this is VERY useful information! doug for president! this is a great way to keep your fingers on the pulse of the metagame.

Wow, looks like I made some waves in UU. Crawdaunt usage is up from Ditto like levels to similar to Pikachu. Banette is growing in popularity as a lead too I see.

I am surprised that most Garchomp don't have Yache Berry, only 40%.

Well, that looks great. I really appreciate the work that must have gone into making those tables. Also, i'm proud to be the sole user of Shuppet in UU.

I'm surprised people used Machoke with Soul Dew lol. It really worries me xD.

I love the new stats on EVs and moves and whatnot, really fun to see what most people use. I had no idea SpecsCario was so uncommon now O_o.

Same goes to Specially based Toxicroak which is just awesome in UU, no sign of it on stats.

Maybe it's time to start using Specs Luke. I notice people are relying heavily on Gliscor to stop Lucario nowadays, so a switch in attack polarity could mess up teams pretty badly.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I am indeed shocked by this information. It's awesome/10.

And I just recently realized that information on Little Cup moveset trends can be picked out of the stats. Though usage is tough to verify.

Maybe it's time to start using Specs Luke. I notice people are relying heavily on Gliscor to stop Lucario nowadays, so a switch in attack polarity could mess up teams pretty badly.
I've been using a specs luke recently, it really throws people off when I 1-HKO their gliscor with hp ice.

Yeah, specs luke is fantastic and so forgotten. You can even revenge kill those other lukes with Vacuum Wave. Run timid so they can't touch you.

Thanks, DJD. Great job.

Uber statistical changes from June to July (Note: The stats from June are taken from the Official Server; also, the cutoff points I've chosen are fairly arbitrary - as of last month, the top 14 were "OU"):

General Usage:

1. Kyogre (=)
2. Groudon (=)
3. Rayquaza (+2)
4. Deoxys-f (=)
5. Palkia (+2)
6. Dialga (=)
7. Darkrai (-4)
8. Latios (+4)
9. Blissey (+2)
10. Lugia (+3)
11. Latias (-1)
12. Giratina (-4)
13. Mewtwo (-4)
14. Jirachi (=)
15. Mew (=)
16. Metagross (+1)
17. Forretress (+1)
18. Tyranitar (+6)
19. Ninjask (+22)
20. Garchomp (+8)
21. Bronzong (+16)
22. Heracross (+3)
23. Scizor (-7)
24. Deoxys-l (-3)
25. Heatran (+1)
26. Manaphy (-4)
27. Ho-oh (-8)

By my calculations, ubers "OU" may have grown from 14 to 15 pokemon. X-Act, when you calculate this, where do you cut it off? 1-15 represent 75% of all usages + a few hundred more out of more than 72000 total usages (~75.1% precisely, but I may have made a minor mistake of about 180 usages when tallying everything up). 1-14 represent ~73% of all usages. Do you round up or down?

For leads:

1. Darkrai (+1)
2. Deoxys-f (+1)
3. Dialga (+1)
4. Kyogre (-3)
5. Mew (+3)
6. Ninjask (+9)
7. Groudon (-2)
8. Lugia (+10)
9. Mewtwo (-3)

I have some skepticism regarding these numbers. There were nearly 3x the ubers matches on the smogon server this month than there were on the official server last month due to the release of the new server. I was out for a while this month, so it's possible I'm just missing something. I'll make what I can out of them.

General Usage

The metagame remains very offensive (although I've personally seen some very stallish matches recently) and SR is prevalent.

Rayquaza's risen to #3 - it must be the SD set. It's really caught on fire, and I believe it's responsible for most of the major changes this month. Over 50% of Rayquaza this month have run it, as opposed to the 35% that run DD (As a piece of advice to everyone running SD/ES/Outrage/EQ, you might want to try Jolly; I don't see any benefit to running Adamant). Palkia's risen to #5. Over 60% of this month's Palkia were Scarfers. People are catching on that Scarf Palkia is one of uber's best revenge killers (and one of the few ways to shut down all of the common Rayquaza variations). Darkrai's dropped to #7. Over half of Darkrais used are leads now. People believe that Darkrai can't do much else, apparently. Items are split fairly evenly between Leftovers, Choice Scarf, and Focus Sash. People are afraid of him being unable to set-up and sweep, so they're not carrying CM on him.

Giratina's drop is probably related to the increased use of dragon attacks this month. It just can't keep up with it. Considering the slugfests going on in ubers right now, Mewtwo probably dropped for a similar reason - it can't keep up with the heavy hitters - poor STAB, "poor" durability, no priority attack, no absurdly powerful attack, and long set-up time ("against what?"). Latios is far above Latias now - again, not too surprising. Lugia's risen quite a bit to fill the hole that Giratina left behind. Lugia should be able to stop most of the threats that gave Giratina trouble (I don't know how many people actually do this, but I've been in favor of dropping defensive EVs on Lugia and shifting them over to speed in order to outrun Jolly Ray and KO with Ice Beam). In response to the general rise of special attackers, Blissey usage has risen this month. Interestingly, Wish is nowhere to be seen in move usage. People don't know that it's legal on the smogon server.

Other than that, everything else is normal. Varied Kyogre types and support Groudon dominate the tier in an attempt to balance weather. Deoxys-f is widely used as a lead sasher or late-game LO sweeper. Dialga sets were fairly varied, although the mixed set dominated this month.

Come to think of it, if Giratina usage is so low, and relatively few Kyogres (20ish%) and Dialgas (25ish%) are used for Restalking, who is absorbing sleep on these teams? Also, was the Scizor usage drop just because of the new server, or is there another reason he wasn't used as much? Why are there several big jumps around the 20 area? I've heard of CBchomps but haven't seen one myself. I definitely haven't seen a T-tar or Bronzong. I've encountered a few Ninjask, but where did this huge surge come from?

Leads

I predicted last month that Darkrai would overtake Kyogre in leads, but I didn't anticipate Kyogre falling all the way to fourth. It makes sense considering the others counter it completely. I didn't expect it to change so quickly though. Mew rose this month, almost exclusively as a lead SRer. Most of them are similar to the suicide leads in OU atm, but these Mews have all their EVs pumped into their defenses and carry a Lum Berry for Darkrai instead. Most of them run a simple Hypnosis/Explosion/Taunt/SR set, but there are a few stray speed BPers in there who forgo exploding. IIRC, this set first appeared in June, but it's been gaining popularity. Ninjask jumped, probably to exploit the general lack of phazers atm. I have no idea where the Lugia jump came from or who's been using it as a lead. Did I miss something?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the stats, DJD.

Heh, Garchomp leads #2 by over 19,000 usages. NINETEEN THOUSAND! and thats just on Smogon's server!! Just when I thought it wasnt possible for this thing to centralize OU any more it turns around, gives me the finger and gains even more ground over Gengar.

And yeah, just like a lot of people have said, now that the Deoxys-Speed controvery has ended a lot more people seem to be using it....Its sudden spike over the last two months is not surprising at all. I am also surprised that its not higher. #6 is lower than what I was expecting for D-S. I've been preaching about how amazing it is for quite a while. "but it has counters!!!" "but it only has 95 base spatk!!" Lol.

"i told ya so..."

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wasn't particulary suprised when I saw Deoxys so high on the usage statistics, though seing it so high did make me say "Woah...". Of course Deoxys gets the ball rolling for offensive teams with Stealth Rock and any other effects that can influence their sweep: Reflect, Spikes, Light Screen and Taunt. And now that we have been assured Deoxys is OverUsed in Smogon, no one hesitates to use it anymore because they know that Deoxys is 100% OU material.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)