Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

I saw that Zacian-C dropped to A+ on the VR, which was a surprise since I remember upon launch, a lot of players were talking about how zacian was broken and even compared it to mega ray upon ORAS release. What changed/was discovered that led to it not being considered so dominant?

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I saw that Zacian-C dropped to A+ on the VR, which was a surprise since I remember upon launch, a lot of players were talking about how zacian was broken and even compared it to mega ray upon ORAS release. What changed/was discovered that led to it not being considered so dominant?
Well, Zacian isn't comparable to Mega Ray on ORAS, but still: basically everyone is preparing for it. Quagsire is extremely common and counters it, Sand Rush Excadrill with Tyranitar is another common core since it also deals with Eternatus, Ditto copies it and can reverse sweep, among other things. With every team trying to counter it, it simply isn't as good as before.

Last edited:
With the new Ubers Dynamax Clause in mind what about transform Mew? Does this means that it can dynamax in any mon including the ones in the dynamax banlist? Apologies for the noob question.

With the new Ubers Dynamax Clause in mind what about transform Mew? Does this means that it can dynamax in any mon including the ones in the dynamax banlist? Apologies for the noob question.
Transform Mew is currently unaffected by the clause, yes. We didn't consider it enough of a problem to warrant it.

thx ig its april but ty :3
Statistics like this are collected at the end of the month, so this is the most up-to-date they get. At the beginning of next month when they're ready, you can get this month's usage stats by changing the 03 in the URL to 04 (like this: https://www.smogon.com/stats/2020-04/moveset/), and same for any future month (the first part is the year and the second number is the month). But as you can see, the page doesn't exist right now! That's where it will be starting at the beginning of the next month, but for the moment, the link KabilaPok gave you is the best one available. C:

Asking about the new DLC move Lash Out, are there any caveats for its effect?

Asking because Defiant/Competitive are similar and also usually trigger on stat drops, but also have some less than clear exceptions (doesn't trigger on self-inflicted stat drops, and crucially also doesn't trigger if an ally reduced its stats in doubles).

I can't really think of a potential situation where the pokemon using lash out could lower its own stats before using lash out without manufacturing an unrealistic setup, but does anyone know if an ally lowering stats triggers the power boost?

Asking about the new DLC move Lash Out, are there any caveats for its effect?

Asking because Defiant/Competitive are similar and also usually trigger on stat drops, but also have some less than clear exceptions (doesn't trigger on self-inflicted stat drops, and crucially also doesn't trigger if an ally reduced its stats in doubles).

I can't really think of a potential situation where the pokemon using lash out could lower its own stats before using lash out without manufacturing an unrealistic setup, but does anyone know if an ally lowering stats triggers the power boost?
Asked in the room SmogonDoubles and yeah it is possible for an ally to boost the move Lash Out of another ally. A situation of self boosting would be in a other metagame like Linked where a Pokemon can use 2 moves in the same turn (e.g. Close Combat 1st slot and Lash Out in the 2nd one). The description will eventually be accurate but since it's early to tell, it's better to wait or do with what we have.

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is Poltergeist better for Marshadow or Spectral Thief?
Both are viable options, but generally when using only one STAB, Spectral Thief tends to be prefered due to accuracy and of course the spetacular secondary effect (not that Poltergeist is unviable tho, generally the sheer presence of Marshadow tends to stop your opponent from blindly setting up). Anyway, if you really want to, Marshadow's coverage with just STABs is so good that you could run both on the same set over Bulk Up if you really want to.

so with more and more pokemon coming with the dlc do you think zamazenta could be unban seeing how lame he is ?

Reactions: Udd

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
so with more and more pokemon coming with the dlc do you think zamazenta could be unban seeing how lame he is ?
Whenever Zamazenta is unbanned in OU is something only the OU council can decide; it is out of Ubers council's power to decide what is allowed in OU metagame.

Regardless, the fact Zamazenta is not good in Ubers does not mean it won't be broken in OU if it were to be allowed.

Whenever Zamazenta is unbanned in OU is something only the OU council can decide; it is out of Ubers council's power to decide what is allowed in OU metagame.

Regardless, the fact Zamazenta is not good in Ubers does not mean it won't be broken in OU if it were to be allowed.
my bad, i thought it was the same since uber is OU ban list and therefore the decisions like ban/unban were connected, really sorry

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
To be fair, this essentially was the case before Mega Ray happened.
At no point has something being bad in Ubers been a reason for it to be unbanned and dropped back into OU. A good example of this is Wynaut and Deoxys-Normal in ADV and DPP; they are outclassed in every way by Wobbuffet and its other forms respectively and you'd be hard pressed to find a reason to run them, yet they didn't drop to OU.

At no point has something being bad in Ubers been a reason for it to be unbanned and dropped back into OU. A good example of this is Wynaut and Deoxys-Normal in ADV and DPP; they are outclassed in every way by Wobbuffet and its other forms respectively and you'd be hard pressed to find a reason to run them, yet they didn't drop to OU.
I understand that. What I was saying was that before Mega Ray forced the creation of Anything Goes, Ubers was more or less a playable banlist. I didn't mean to imply that usage in OU had any influence on Ubers or vice versa.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hi everyone, newbie here! Where could I watch spoiler free tournament replays? Thanks!
If, by spoiler-free, you mean a place where you can access the replays without seeing who won (e.g. the poster said they won / lost), then this thread keeps tracks of the replays without mentioning who won or lost. Keep in mind that new replays are being edited into the posts, meaning you won't get notifications when a new one is edited in (meaning you have to check occassionally if you want to watch a new replay).

I guess the players who made it to the ladder in ubers even lower on the ladder are prob the best single battlers in the world since ubers allows just about everything so they would be able to handle just about any other teams they'd face on wifi battles or even a tournament.

I always wondered if its possible to come up with an unbeatable team thats ready for everything and just cant lose without alot of bad luck of course. Think thats possible?

SiTuM

destined for greatness
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I guess the players who made it to the ladder in ubers even lower on the ladder are prob the best single battlers in the world since ubers allows just about everything so they would be able to handle just about any other teams they'd face on wifi battles or even a tournament.

I always wondered if its possible to come up with an unbeatable team thats ready for everything and just cant lose without alot of bad luck of course. Think thats possible?
no. when a good team becomes famous the metagame will always adapt for it, no matter how much time it takes and what tactics it requires.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)