Gen 6 Simple Questions, Simple Answers (XY Ubers Edition - read before posting a thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
confirmo TANK Weezing is indeed viable thanks to tspikes and immunity to ground moves, also access to willo, clear smog and pain split.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
What is the dominating Ubers playstyle right now? Are there any playstyles that work well in OU or UU that don't work here?

Should I run 132 HP 252 Atk 124 Spe Adamant Arceus N? I've been having more success with this set than Jolly 252 Spe. Also, is silk scarf any good?

See random comments here and there that "bulky ghost types such as Giratina-O and Arceus-Ghost aren't used that much by experienced players". I use this Giratina-O as a mixed attacker on my ubers team, and I find him perfectly fine. I want to know if there's a better 'Mon for me to use in place of G-O?

This is the set I'm using:
Abyssal (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 Atk / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp

The rest of my team is MMewtwo-Y, Specs Reshiram, Support Groudon, Band Scizor and Unaware Quag.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When is the XY Ubers threat list coming out for the RMT forum? Several people have been asking for it to help with team building and threat rating for teams. Can I just make it following the layout present in the XY OU threat list with the threats that have been passed by QC in the analysis section? If I do make it where should I post it? Will I ever stop asking questions?

Just wondering, how do most of Ubers players feel about the whole swagplay thing? I've only encountered it once in this meta myself and only narrowly lost. However, it got popular enough to get banned from OU...and possibly everything under it, so I guess it's worth a post or two.

Also, does this forum software lack the ability to move individual posts or something?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just wondering, how do most of Ubers players feel about the whole swagplay thing? I've only encountered it once in this meta myself and only narrowly lost. However, it got popular enough to get banned from OU...and possibly everything under it, so I guess it's worth a post or two.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will [insert Pokemon here] / [insert Move here] / [insert Item here] be banned?

It will not.
Also, does this forum software lack the ability to move individual posts or something?
No.

In reply to the first, that's not what I asked. What I was looking for was what the player base's general opinion of the strategy in regards to the Ubers metagame. Quite frankly, I feel it's more suited to a general discussion but hey, thems be the brakes

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
In reply to the first, that's not what I asked. What I was looking for was what the player base's general opinion of the strategy in regards to the Ubers metagame. Quite frankly, I feel it's more suited to a general discussion but whatever.
Nope. This is not the place for such discussion, this is the place for simple questions to be answered. If you want to discuss Swaggplay go on IRC or post a thread in the XY discussion (which isn't a good idea as it won't lead to anything).

Nope. This is not the place for such discussion, this is the place for simple questions to be answered. If you want to discuss Swaggplay go on IRC or post a thread in the XY discussion (which isn't a good idea as it won't lead to anything).
I originally posted the exact post in the general thread in this forum, but was then told to post it in this thread

Yeah, I can't move posts. :(

The Swagger suspect test "movement" started after popular player lost to it in an important official OU tournament, R1. The person he lost to said something along the lines of: "Since I'm not good enough to beat you legitimately, I'm going to make a point instead." and proceeded to do just that with a SwagPlay team. That player was an Ubers player. Not sure if this really answers your question but it's not really something that's worth extensively discussing in any thread, atm. If you are just trying to gauge people's thoughts on it, it's not liked.

I can't post atm so thus the editing. :I ~MM2

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I can't move posts. :(

The Swagger suspect test "movement" started after popular player lost to it in an important official OU tournament, R1. The person he lost to said something along the lines of: "Since I'm not good enough to beat you legitimately, I'm going to make a point instead." and proceeded to do just that with a SwagPlay team. That player was an Ubers player. Not sure if this really answers your question but it's not really something that's worth extensively discussing in any thread, atm. If you are just trying to gauge people's thoughts on it, it's not liked.

I can't post atm so thus the editing. :I ~MM2
Thanks for the extensive reply, this is pretty much what I was after, specifically the bolded part. Also, the edit/delete is fine, given the circumstances

Minority

Numquam Vincar
How do I get my friends to respect/ play ubers. I can't even get them to try it.
Buy some new friends.

Seriously though this is a good question. I have no idea why OU is like ten times more popular than Ubers, especially when from what I've heard / seen it's stale as hell. Maybe we can have more integrated tournaments which give incentives for players to play multiple metas, and thus, will respect each one for what it is.

Given how prevalent Mega Gengar is, is it worth using a Shed Shell on anything? Or would that just be dead weight?
Shed Shell can be used on pokemon like Skarmory and Blissey who appreciate not having to stay in on Gengar. Using it on an offensive pokemon would be slightly more redundant as those guys can just punch through Gengar, and then you have the issues of wanting Leftovers, so a pokemon like Ferrothorn would prefer Leftovers recovery to Shed Shell, whereas Skarmory and Blissey can both heal via different means (Roost, Wish and Soft-Boiled)

Shed Shell can be used on pokemon like Skarmory and Blissey who appreciate not having to stay in on Gengar. Using it on an offensive pokemon would be slightly more redundant as those guys can just punch through Gengar, and then you have the issues of wanting Leftovers, so a pokemon like Ferrothorn would prefer Leftovers recovery to Shed Shell, whereas Skarmory and Blissey can both heal via different means (Roost, Wish and Soft-Boiled)
So in other words Shed Shell grants Blissey this one niche over Chansey in Ubers? Or is it such a niche that it's more of a reason to always use Blissey over Chansey in Ubers?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
So in other words Shed Shell grants Blissey this one niche over Chansey in Ubers? Or is it such a niche that it's more of a reason to always use Blissey over Chansey in Ubers?
It's basically mandatory to use Blissey > Chansey in Ubers since so many teams carry Mega Gar. Not only this, but Blissey has two reliable methods of preventing Gar abuse, either Shed Shell, or Leftovers + Flamethrower. Chansey is actually a liability if the opponent has Mega Gar, but against teams that don't Chansey is superior. Since team building is about being able to take down as many potential threats as possible, Chansey should never be used.

It's basically mandatory to use Blissey > Chansey in Ubers since so many teams carry Mega Gar. Not only this, but Blissey has two reliable methods of preventing Gar abuse, either Shed Shell, or Leftovers + Flamethrower. Chansey is actually a liability if the opponent has Mega Gar, but against teams that don't Chansey is superior. Since team building is about being able to take down as many potential threats as possible, Chansey should never be used.
thats wrong, its all about utility cost, most stall teams or bulky offense teams that require a spinner would like to have an arceus that can cm to stallbreak or have another useful function, whereas scizor can run defog and pursuit. While this is not a perfect solution to mega-gengar, it can handle hits aside from hp fire and bullet punch to weak it first off, since it needs to stay in 1 turn to mega-evolve. Any mon is viable within the means of teambuilding structure, why do gimmicks sometimes work without even spamming hax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)