Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Would that mean the boost for same type tera stab is 4/3 × 2 so about 2.66x stab boost? I could see the stab same type tera boost being 5/3 x 2 thanks adaptability
The former, 2.66, is what I’m told is correct. Everything will be confirmed in the coming days, but it’s the assumption I’ve been working with in my head anyway

Are the Paradox Pokemon considered to be separate species from their base counterparts (whether in game or by Smogon) or more akin to Regionals? For example, would using Iron Thorns + Tyranitar trigger a species clause, or could I place them on the same team (ignoring viability just for the clarification)?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1717122886

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I encountered an odd glitch(?) on turn 20 of this battle. A Tera-Flying Roaring Moon clicked Roost and lost its Flying typing, but when hit by Corviknight's Body Press the damage dealt was super-effective? Is this just a visual glitch, or could it be that a Terastalized mon that loses its Tera typing reverts to its base typing? And if that is the case, is that cartridge-accurate?

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1717122886

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I encountered an odd glitch(?) on turn 20 of this battle. A Tera-Flying Roaring Moon clicked Roost and lost its Flying typing, but when hit by Corviknight's Body Press the damage dealt was super-effective? Is this just a visual glitch, or could it be that a Terastalized mon that loses its Tera typing reverts to its base typing? And if that is the case, is that cartridge-accurate?
When a pure Flying type uses Roost, it's Flying typing is actually replaced by Normal. This means it is weak to Fighting and immune to Ghost. This is unique to pure Flying types; Pokemon with secondary typings just lose the Flying type for the turn.

Are the Paradox Pokemon considered to be separate species from their base counterparts (whether in game or by Smogon) or more akin to Regionals? For example, would using Iron Thorns + Tyranitar trigger a species clause, or could I place them on the same team (ignoring viability just for the clarification)?
they are considered to be different species, so running both Iron Thorns and Tyranitar in the same team for example is allowed. You can check if a team is valid or not by using the Validate button beside the format in teambuilding if you're unsure :mad:

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
they are considered to be different species, so running both Iron Thorns and Tyranitar in the same team for example is allowed. You can check if a team is valid or not by using the Validate button beside the format in teambuilding if you're unsure :mad:
Species Clause count by dex number. If two Pokemon share the same dex number (Rotom-Wash and Rotom-Heat) they are the same according to species clause. None of the paradox mons share dex numbers with their base, so all of them are unique.

does anyone know if eviolite works on ursaring or not?

ursaluna hasn't come yet,but it will come eventually so I want to know if they made eviolite to work on ursaring or not.

Don't know if this is too loaded a question for the Simple thread, or even if there's an answer yet but

Does the council tend to wait for a Lull in Bans/Removal tests before trying Reintroduction suspects? Or do they tend to just survey opinions and sentiment after any given action for what to act on next?

Mainly curious about the prospect of how long after later stuff like Home reintroduced it would take to maybe see "bad Ubers" evaluated in OU like some people are speculating for Zamazenta after the massive rise in power level (Not a request just wanted to put an example forward while explaining). Would this be something that has to wait until there are no potential concerns for Suspects, or only until there are no "definite" suspect plans for existing mons (the former being things like Weavile, Drag, and Melmetal in Gen 8, which had a lot of iffy talk among players, but didn't receive suspects until the latter's near the end which was heavily "don't ban" anyway)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Does the council tend to wait for a Lull in Bans/Removal tests before trying Reintroduction suspects? Or do they tend to just survey opinions and sentiment after any given action for what to act on next?
Suspects will likely come in a couple of weeks once the most egregious, super-majority inducing Pokemon are taken out of the equation.

We just had two unanimous bans and we may have another slate with a couple more. But sometime soon after that, we may be getting closer to a normal setting depending on how the tier develops.

Speaking of “just survey opinions and sentiment”, we also will likely use public surveys to gauge some matters come time for potential suspects as well, so everyone’s voice can be heard to an extent!

Speaking of “just survey opinions and sentiment”, we also will likely use public surveys to gauge some matters come time for potential suspects as well, so everyone’s voice can be heard to an extent!
For the record in case my phrasing came off as rude (apologies if it did), what I meant here was less the idea the council "just" listens to what players are saying or loud about or anything, and more if there's an order like "remove problems, and only then try testing things back down" vs "Opinion leans towards ST-ing X down to OU more of ST-ing Y out of OU, so maybe we'll test X first"

I'm probably rambling to make sure I phrase this right as someone without a huge history of Suspect participation or following.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
For the record in case my phrasing came off as rude (apologies if it did), what I meant here was less the idea the council "just" listens to what players are saying or loud about or anything, and more if there's an order like "remove problems, and only then try testing things back down" vs "Opinion leans towards ST-ing X down to OU more of ST-ing Y out of OU, so maybe we'll test X first"

I'm probably rambling to make sure I phrase this right as someone without a huge history of Suspect participation or following.
Nah you were not at all rude, it’s just not a set-in-stone process. Like Pokémon, our processes and best practices continually have to evolve.

Rn the idea is to ban the clearly broken things that will waste time for suspects and stunt metagame progression, and then look into the prospect of managing Tera and more controversial, closely contested Pokemon. I just can’t assign specific values and lengths to each of these phases quite yet

So a question for OU tier leaders mainly Finch because he is super active.

1. How does the OU Council decide what's quickban worthy vs what's suspect worthy?

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
So a question for OU tier leaders mainly Finch because he is super active.

1. How does the OU Council decide what's quickban worthy vs what's suspect worthy?
Long discussion, which is based off of forum posts, firsthand experience, and anything else brought to our attention. I am always reading metagame discussion (and posting in it, as many of you can see) and then being transparent about where we are at in order to function as a bridge between council and community. This keeps everyone in the loop as much as possible.

Garrett

Banned deucer.
When the council says they are watching the effects of Tera on OU, does that mean it’s an all-or-nothing observation over the entire mechanic? Are things like considering only allowing Tera on original types (ex. Chien-Pao can only be pure Dark or pure Ice if it transforms) on the table? I read the On The Radar post and found it unclear.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
When the council says they are watching the effects of Tera on OU, does that mean it’s an all-or-nothing observation over the entire mechanic? Are things like considering only allowing Tera on original types (ex. Chien-Pao can only be pure Dark or pure Ice if it transforms) on the table? I read the On The Radar post and found it unclear.
We have an open mind; it is not necessarily all-or nothing over the entire mechanic. It was purposefully vague so we do not lock into anything prematurely. We are not committing to any line of action on a core mechanic within the first week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)