Multi Gen Simple Questions, Simple Answers Mk. II (Read Before Making a Thread)

peaswar ou is the baseline tier and all tiers below it are based on it. uu it formed from a certain benchmark of ou usage and below. then ru forming from a certain benchmark of uu usage and below. etc etc. if a tier deems something too powerful through testing or council decision, they ban it to what is called "bl" or borderline. bl is just kinda the in-between point between a tier and the tier above it where banned pokemon are listed. it's not a tier, just a listing. the banlist of uu but not ou by usage is called bl1. the banlist of ru but not uu by usage is bl2. etc. ubers is essentially the banlist of ou barring a few exceptions (mostly mega-rayquaza being banned from ubers for making it unplayable).

The crossover of the term "über" from German into English goes back to the work of GermanphilosopherFriedrich Nietzsche. In 1883, Nietzsche coined the term "Übermensch" to describe the higher state to which he felt men might aspire. [Sarah's note: mensch means "man" in German.] The term was brought into English by George Bernard Shaw in the title to his 1903 play Man and Superman.

from the almighty wikipedia, let's forget it was commonly used by the nazis to referr to arian people so we don't have to come up with a new tier name imo

edit because perfectionism:

Über, sometimes written ueber, uber oruuber, is a German language word meaning "over", "above" or "across". It is anetymological twin with German ober, and is cognate (through Proto-Germanic) with English over, Dutch over, and Icelandicyfir, among other Germanic languages. It is also distantly cognate to both Latin superand Greek ὑπέρ (hyper), through Proto-Indo-European.
Why don't you call it AU- Always Used
and change PU to SU- Sometimes Used
UU- change Under Used to Usually Used

why are mythical pokemon allowed in showdown if in the game they are banned
It is so hard to win uber battles when the opponent uses 6 legendaries
I know that a lot of pokemon in Uber are legendary or mythical, but can't there be like a 2 legend clause or something
It really is frustrating

Peli

name elevated but i still act average
why are mythical pokemon allowed in showdown if in the game they are banned
It is so hard to win uber battles when the opponent uses 6 legendaries
I know that a lot of pokemon in Uber are legendary or mythical, but can't there be like a 2 legend clause or something
It really is frustrating
Hi peaswar and welcome to Smogon,

Smogon tiering is completely different from what is allowed in-game. We have our own seperate tiering policy, you can find an article here about the tiers. It is a bit outdated, but most (mega ray is banned from ubers now) of the information still holds true. Strong legendaries have shaped the Ubers metagame since generation one, with Mewtwo dominating at that time. It is just how the tier is, and if you continue to play, you have to use these legendaries to compete with others. Ubers, and any other tier for that matter, will never have a legend clause, seeing how the legends will be banned if they are broken; and some legends are even in the bottom tier, PU.

Hi peaswar and welcome to Smogon,

Smogon tiering is completely different from what is allowed in-game. We have our own seperate tiering policy, you can find an article here about the tiers. It is a bit outdated, but most (mega ray is banned from ubers now) of the information still holds true. Strong legendaries have shaped the Ubers metagame since generation one, with Mewtwo dominating at that time. It is just how the tier is, and if you continue to play, you have to use these legendaries to compete with others. Ubers, and any other tier for that matter, will never have a legend clause, seeing how the legends will be banned if they are broken; and some legends are even in the bottom tier, PU.
yes but playing against someone who uses 6 legends gets really snnoying

kind of unrelated, but I don't know where to ask this, so if you could guide me there that'd be nice, or you could answer me here.
Do Mega Sharpedo's nose spikes appear in any battle animations?

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is Arceus-Ground the only form of Arceus that can reliably check Primal Groudon?
Yes, but you need to consider how well your team deals with Ho-Oh before using it (I assume you are talking about the special defog set). Support Arceus-Water / Dragon + another check that deals with SD Groudon more effectively(your Giratina-Os, Bronzongs, Landorus-Ts, Latios (sorta), etc) is usually better for most teams. SD Arceus-Ground can only truely check Groudon if has taken a hit, hasn't SDed or Rock Polished, or doesn't get Lava Plume burned on the way in. In otherwords, SD Arceus-Ground doesn't check Primal Groudon by itself and usually requires a very offensive teams to get what it wants to do done (late game sweeping, pressuring a weakened Groudon, etc.).

hyw

Banned deucer.
Arceus-Water and Arceus-Dragon are more viable Primal Groudon checks as they perform decently aside from their designated main tasks of keeping support Primal Groudon at bay as they resist Lava Plume; but yes, you are correct in your assumption that Arceus-Ground is the best Arceus form in checking Primal Groudon. Rather, the only, as it's the only one able to beat Double Dance variants one-on-one, but to do that it must run Judgment and opting for this way to beat Primal Groudon is often inferior to using the aforementioned other two forms. As a side note, if you are interested in checking only Double Dance variants, Arceus-Grass is an interesting choice as well, but should never be considered on a serious team and loses to Fire Punch variants.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Does Mega Mawile have a niche in Ubers? Like, I guess it can be a decent-ish Xerneas and Yveltal check that has Baton Pass for momentum, but I can't really see why you would use it over something like Klefki aside from Huge Power.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
More offense + can pair well with Primal Kyogre (Bp on the switch into primal ogre) + better matchup vs sableye teams once the groudon goes down + its cute.

Is a spread of 252 Speed and Attack on Primal Groudon actually great on it? Personally, I use the regular support set with 16 in Speed and 40 in Defense with a Relaxed nature (since its just so much better to check Xerneas and physical attackers with that spread), but a lot of people have been using that spread so I need to know if its still useful for Xerneas checking and if its good enough to use. XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)