Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
What actually is Stellar, like under the hood? Is it actually a new type or is it just a state a Pokemon can be in?
It's implemented as a type for tera, but it has lots of special code handling. It has a regular type icon too (round borders, not pointy like the tera one) but idk where it would be used.
1702728158627.png

Btw it was pointed out to me that my move dump didn't have all the move descs updated, so if you copied it earlier, copy it again :P

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
We noticed there's one more flag at the end for whether a move can be Sketched. This gives us:
Code:
Dark Void
Hyperspace Fury
Breakneck Blitz (Physical)
Revival Blessing
Blazing Torque
Wicked Torque
Noxious Torque
Combat Torque
Magical Torque
Tera Starstorm
We're unsure why Breakneck Blitz is in there; it may be a copypaste from Hyperspace Fury right above it.
There’s an oversight from the developers’ part where Aura Wheel still works only on Morpeko, but it can still be Sketched.

I am not surprised that the Torque moves cannot be Sketched, but I am surprised that is also the case for Revival Blessing. Methinks Smeargle would be too much for VGC if allowed to use Revival Blessing so GF prevents it from Sketching it as a precaution.

Adaptability can essentially never work with Stellar Tera because both the base type and tera type need to match for Adaptability to work, but no Pokémon can have the Stellar type as a base type.
I thought Adaptability could boost moves of your current tera type, and if it doesn't match the base it just goes from 1.5x to 2x. Either way, Anubis's post mentioning that both Stellar Tera Blast and Double-Edge don't seem to maintain the Adaptability boost imply that Adaptability doesn't take effect over Stellar, probably because you don't actually become the Stellar type for all purposes so you don't get STAB on it anyway.

For the test with Tera Fairy Tera Blast, the rolls obtained from the test is 2 x the damage calc rolls, suggesting that, Adaptability does boost moves that correspond to the user's Tera type.

Adaptability Tera Fairy Dragon Pulse were noticeably weaker than regular Adaptability Dragon Pulse. Comparing the results of Adaptability Tera Fairy with damage calc rolls, it appears that Adaptability does not boost moves of the user's original type (i.e. they get normal STAB multiplier).

tl,dr;
  • Tera + Adaptability boosts damage more than regular Adaptability
  • Adaptability boosts moves of user's Tera type
  • Adaptability does not boosts moves of user's original type when Tera'd

Karthik

time heals all
is a Programmeris a Battle Simulator Moderator
I thought Adaptability could boost moves of your current tera type, and if it doesn't match the base it just goes from 1.5x to 2x. Either way, Anubis's post mentioning that both Stellar Tera Blast and Double-Edge don't seem to maintain the Adaptability boost imply that Adaptability doesn't take effect over Stellar, probably because you don't actually become the Stellar type for all purposes so you don't get STAB on it anyway.
Ah right, my bad. My brain is a bit fried on all this STAB stuff lol.

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi. A few interesting tests this time.

Zoroark's Illusion is leaked by disguising as a Terapagos, because it appears as the baby low stats form. If Zoroark Terastallizes while disguised as Terapagos, the Illusion completely breaks (the Illusion faded message) in the same manner as Zoroark Terastallizing as Ogerpon.

In other Illusion-related news, Zoroark's Illusion fades if it Terastallizes while disguised as an Ogerpon even if it has the correct Tera Type for the disguise's mask. For example. Tera Fire Zoroark activating Tera with a Hearthflame disguise still fades the Illusion. This wasn't explicitly confirmed in the thread earlier and it was an easy test, so I checked this one off while doing the above Terapagos tests.

This one isn't related to Indigo Disk at all, but it was very interesting and I had to check it out: Future Sight attacks can be Endured in Scarlet and Violet. It appears that this does not match the current Showdown implementation, shown in this replay using the same Pokemon. Thanks to Brromo over on Reddit for the idea here.

Hope this helps.

It removes it while on the field, but it returns the boost when it leaves.

Electro Shot is basically overpowering, but with Sheer Force, it's completely broken.
100% of all advantages which accumulate and 0 disadvantages.
(The stat increase - most likely hardcoded - is not even cancelled by ability)

So I learn from this that :
- The Sheer Force flag is manually set for each ability by Game Freak. There is no automatic detection.
- And hard-coded additional effects escape the ability radar. So, to deactivate them, you'll need to think about hardcoding them too.
In short, Sheer Force is a gas factory at Game Freak and has a lot of balancing issues (like the pseudo Mold Breaker effect that in some situations... cripple the target!).

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
You can see that there are several hard-coded moves that cause the game to skip past the code that modifies the BP. For whatever reason, a GF dev decided to put a list of moves here and what you see is a compiler optimization that's doing a bitfield-to-moveID conversion.

Excluded Moves
Low Kick
Flail
Reversal
Eruption
Water Spout
Gyro Ball
Fling
Grass Knot
Crush Grip
Heavy Slam
Electro Ball
Heat Crash
Dragon Energy
The moves excluded from the Tera BP boost were updated to include Hard Press, which isn't surprising. That's the only change I see.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I suppose this technically counts as a mechanic and needs documenting.

Transferring Pokemon from HOME to Scarlet/Violet appears to only check if the move is in the Pokemon's learnset and doesn't do a cross check against whether or not it can have it at that level. Tested this with a level 25 Porygon from Sword, taught it the TR for Tri Attack, and transferred it into Scarlet where it was able to know Tri Attack as a transfer move despite being 20 levels too early.

I suppose this technically counts as a mechanic and needs documenting.

Transferring Pokemon from HOME to Scarlet/Violet appears to only check if the move is in the Pokemon's learnset and doesn't do a cross check against whether or not it can have it at that level. Tested this with a level 25 Porygon from Sword, taught it the TR for Tri Attack, and transferred it into Scarlet where it was able to know Tri Attack as a transfer move despite being 20 levels too early.
That's how it's supposed to work.

Speaking of not-really-competitive-relevant mechanics, since I noticed a weird interaction with Dragon Cheer, I am curious if it has some weird quirk.

As I stated in the raid thread, in raids it can be only used once, after which you get a "But it failed" message even if all 3 allies died and thus don't have the buff anymore.

(event sequence: I use Dragon Cheer t1, animation and buffs apply correctly, all 3 allies die within a couple turns, I attempt to use it again and get the failed message)

What exactly is Dragon Cheer checking to determine if it's successful?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Does Sheer Force let Electro Shot skip the charging turn, or is that still restricted to Rain weather?

Speaking of not-really-competitive-relevant mechanics, since I noticed a weird interaction with Dragon Cheer, I am curious if it has some weird quirk.

As I stated in the raid thread, in raids it can be only used once, after which you get a "But it failed" message even if all 3 allies died and thus don't have the buff anymore.

(event sequence: I use Dragon Cheer t1, animation and buffs apply correctly, all 3 allies die within a couple turns, I attempt to use it again and get the failed message)

What exactly is Dragon Cheer checking to determine if it's successful?
No allies, maybe?

so we know from testing that psychic noise is boosted by sheer force. what about upper hand and alluring voice? i checked the move dump, but the sheer force flag there only seems to be set for moves that wouldn't otherwise be boosted by sheer force (moves like fire punch lack it, while it's set for moves like spirit shackle). alluring voice i ask about primarily because burning jealousy is sheer force-boosted, so it seems like it should be too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)