Project RU Matchmaking Redux (Week 7: Support Jumpluff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore

Typical fat Shroom to sponge hits from Bulky Waters and some Grounds. Stun Spore can be used to give Aggron a little push-up, as it can cripple fast mons that can pick off aggron (excluding stuff that lacks mach punch).

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Poliwrath

Poliwrath @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

So what can work as a switch in to the omnipotent Head Smasher? Well, bulky Water-types can live a hit and hit hard in return, making its effectiveness weaker. Furthermore, Mach Punch users like Gurdurr, and Pokemon that usually carry Superpower can prove to be dangerous as they can KO Aggron, such as Absol and Durant. One of the best check to all these threats is Polowrath. With an incredible defensive typing, it can wall a lot of meta's top threats, while still hitting hard in return with its Specially Offensive set. Poliwrath can also appreciate a nice clean after Aggron nuked half the foe's team.

Last edited:

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off

LO Tangrowth, a mon that I would argue is one of the best Pokemon in RU, can pivot in and take advantage of almost every rock resist as they are usually bully grounds or things like Poliwrath. Aggron can check flying types and fire types in return.

Last edited:

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Great job everyone! That's it for Week 6. The winners are Tangrowth (Kableye), Vileplume (MrAldo), and Amoonguss (Esidisi). Congratulations to our winners and particularly MrAldo, who is the first to enter the Hall of Fame! By the way, Gourgeist-XL would have made for a really cool partner as well. Anyway, moving on!

Week 7:

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Encore
- U-turn

There's been some discussion on this mon in the Viability Ranking thread and I've got to admit, I think it's a pretty cool mon. Normally I wouldn't post a mon before it's ranked, but I'm hoping this can contribute to the current discussion. Good luck everyone!

Medicham @ Life Orb
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Baton Pass

Literally every thing that Jumpluff baits in, steel types, poison types, tangrowth, rock types, etc. hates dealing with Medicham. Jumpluff can put these to sleep or just U-Turn freely into Medicham, who can start wall breaking. Medicham doesn't offer much in return besides checking walls that would otherwise come in on Jumpluff.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Reserving Blastoise!

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roar / Rest

Pretty simple here, Jumpluff can switch into Grass types for Toise and Acro them, while Toise can spin away Rocks and wall Rock and Fire types for Pluff.

Last edited:

Aggron (Tyrantrum) Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Superpower

Synergy is good here, Jumpluff puts things to sleep for Tyrantrum and creates options to switch in, and Tyrantrum loves free turns to switch in!

Slowking @ Choice Specs
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Trick

Specs Slowking is a neat partner for Jumpluff because it serves as a wallbreaker that can take advantage of Jumpluff's U-turn while resisting Fire and Ice moves. In return, Jumpluff handles Virizion Together, they do a reasonable job checking most of the Fighting-types in the tier as well. Both are vulnerable to Sneasel and Mega Abomasnow so further team support is needed of course. I also use Tyrantrum on this team but the user above called it already; I agree it's a good partner.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Reserving meloetta (ILL TRY NOT TO FORGET)

Meloetta @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Specs Meloetta, while not as defensively synergized with Jumpluff as Slowking, is still a fantastic partner for it. While it doesn't immediately force out the steels, it instead lures them in. Things that normally wall Jumpluff, like Steelix, Registeel, and the like and hits them very hard with a focus blast, making a potential Jumpluff sweep easier. Furthermore, Meloetta and Jumpluff form a pseudo VoltTurn core, and coupled with Tspikes or Spikes, makes much easier to break down teams, whether they are more offensively or defensively inclined. Obviously, this core is very weak to Sneasel and lacks a switch in to Steelix, so an option to combat both, possibly Qwilfish as a pseudo answer to Steelix, would be nice to fill the multiple roles for the team. Also, some speed control to combat scarfers such as Tyrantrum would help.

And I'll throw in another great teammate.

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Surf

Similarly, Exploud aims to lure in steels and bulky rock types for Jumpluff, however, takes a much more anti-stall approach. Furthermore, Exploud feasts on free turns and can decimate both offense and defensive teams id given these free turns. Again, tools vs the aforementioned Steelix and Sneasel would help as well as more tools to help versus offense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)