Project RU Matchmaking Redux (Week 7: Support Jumpluff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores

| Approved by atomicllamas | Idea Stolen From DarkNostalgia | Banner By Litra |

All Pokemon are unable to function effectively without their checks and counters gone, which is where their teammates come in. These partners are capable of dismantling multiple Pokemon proving a threat to their teammates, providing invaluable support and thus are often seen as the heart of the team.
This project aims to brainstorm various ideal and effective partners to various Pokemon that may range from metagame defining Pokemon to more underrated threats.

Procedure

Every week, I will nominate a Pokemon for discussion of potential partners and submissions. In that week, you will have the chance to submit any good partners for that chosen Pokemon, and after the course of the week I will choose the three best partners for that chosen Pokemon and put it into the archive. People that manage to get into the archive multiple times with good submissions will be let into the Hall of Fame.

Rules

1. Generally stick with things on the viability rankings. Pokemon such as Beautifly or Simisage which are not viable should not be nominated. With that said, if you come up with a match that you feel works well that isn't listed, feel free to message me.
2. Reservations are perfectly welcome. This time frame should be no longer than 24 hours. After this time has expired, other users can take your reservation and do it for themselves.
3. Don't theorymon. Post Pokemon that you have experience with, or have seen it have quite some use, don't pull Pokemon out of your ass that you think will work well. Have some experience first please.
4. Explain how and why the Pokemon you chose works well. For example, offensive synergy in terms of checks and counters or defensive synergy in terms of typing and checking threats.
5. Be nice to others with your posts and only post meaningful things. One-liners clutter up the thread, as do random memes.
6. Calcs are nice, but not compulsory.
7. The cutoff for submissions will be every Monday at 10 AM Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5). Winners and next week's candidate will be posted later that day.
8. Enjoy and feel free to contact me if you have any questions :)​

Current Week:

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Encore
- U-turn

Last edited:

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast / Trick Room

Won by
Diogo
Based Scythe.
, and
fran17

Samurott @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

Won by
MrAldo
Brick Small.
, and
Lord Death Man

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis

Won by
fran17
EonX
, and
MrAldo

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Won by
slurmz
EonX
, and
Ban Me

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Won by
DKFirelord
Arifeen
, and
SlaySlenderDragon XD

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Low Kick
- Fire Punch

Won by
Kableye
MrAldo
, and
Esidisi

MrAldo - 3 Wins

Last edited:

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Week 1:

Slowking @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast / Trick Room

As additional incentive for whomever posts the best partner for week 1, I'll whip up a sweet pic with my mad MS Paint skills for the very best partner! This week only (probably)!

Also to close out the previous thread, here were the winners from the Mega Steelix Matchmaker!
Partners: Qwilfish (scpinion) | Sigilyph (MrAldo) | Mantine (Ping_Pong_Along)

Last edited:
Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 172 Atk / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Focus Blast
- Ice Shard

Thanks to its Grass / Ice typing, Abomasnow can more often than not comfortably switch into Grass- and Electric- type attacks directed at Slowking; it also has the added benefit of beating bulky Water-types that could cripple Slowking / prevent it to sweep effectively such as Alomomola, Gastrodon, and opposing Slowking. In exchange, Slowking provides a nice check for Fire- and Fighting-type Pokemon that threaten Abomasnow.

e: since both are slow, obligatory tr xp

Last edited:

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
May i suggest slack-off over fire blast on the set? D:

World's End Garden (Vileplume) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Aside from the obvious raw type synergy that these two have vileplume can prove especially useful for slowking since a backup fighting check is needed here, with plume having the added benefit of checking scrafty and virizion which are fighting types that will break through slowking otherwise.

Last edited:
trick room is a good option too !_!

muh phat (Emboar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower

The introduction of slowking in RU makes dark-types even more threatning in bulky offensive/balance teams focused around it, especially life orb houndoom which this set adequatly checks. Thanks to the bulk investment it pivots with much ease around grass-types such as Abomasnow, Tangrowth and SD Virizion, as well as both X Scissor Durant and Escavalier. Nevertheless fat emboar can effectively make use of its free turns by spreading Will-o-Wisps all around, especially on bulky waters that have a much harder time dealing with Nasty Plot Slowking once crippled by some kind of residual damage. Slowking in exchange counters the biggest threat to this set, Delphox. This core however needs a strong bulky water-slayer in order to succesfully keep the momentum provided by Will-o-Wisp up, any good grass-type works there especially given how pressuring a banded Flygon/Dugtrio might be.

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Cofagrigus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Mummy
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 2 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

NP Cofag is a great partner to the core, with colbur and hp fite it can lure dark types which check Slowking, letting King have an easier sweep. It can also setup the TR to help Slowking with his bad speed, although it won't be useful for many turns (maximum 2 D:)

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
May i suggest slack-off over fire blast on the set? D:
trick room is a good option too !_!
Both are excellent alternatives, but neither one is what I wanted to focus on for this week. Slack Off makes the set a little too similar to the Calm Mind set, which I was trying to avoid. I was originally going to have a few slashes for the fourth slot, one of which was going to be Trick Room, but llamas pointed out that this would give too much variance between matches. I went with Fire Blast because I didn't want all of the matches to be something along the line of "This checks Steel-types."

Great submissions so far! Keep 'em coming! :D

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
After a discussion with Scythe., I've decided to add Trick Room as a slash for Slowking's fourth move. I don't think this will impact your submissions very much, but feel free to edit them if you'd like.

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Aromatisse is a great partner for Slowking defensively as it can absorb Knock Off from Scrafty or Hitmonlee which give Slowking much trouble. Also has Aromatherapy to cure Slowking off of any annoying status conditions such as Toxic or burn that can wear it down. Slowking in turn deals with common fire and steel-types like delphox and m.lix for Aromatisse.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 120 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
Mega-Lix can help Slowking with its Etric Weakness and can take on Mega-Aboma or Escavalier that can switch into Slowking and OHKO it. Toxic is to weaken opposing Slowking so you're Slowking kindy wins if it's a CM war.

Last edited:

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Thanks to everybody that participated! The winners for this week were Vileplume (Diogo), Emboar (Scythe.), Cofagrigus (fran17). Congratulations! All of the matches were excellent, so it was extremely difficult to choose. The overall winner is...
Scythe.!
I'll be posting an art thing for our winner later this week.

Week 2:

Samurott @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

I didn't see much of this set before the tier shift, but with the return of Mega Abomasnow and Slowking, I expect to see Swords Dance Samurott make a comeback. Discuss! :D

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Rotom @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Hex

Swords Dance Samurott is really cool but have trouble getting past certain defensive mons like alomomola, jellicent, amoonguss and vileplume that is on the rise and still have trouble getting past mega steelix even though it is a water type. Enter rotom-N! This makes an excellent partner since this mon can spread status, annoying offense and defensive cores alike with discharge hefty paralysis chance and will-o-wisp respectively, and with hex it sends defensive samurott answers for a ride when burned, samurott really appreciates the status spreading against given matchups (you would aim to paralyze offensive threats given the chance for example).

This beats cores like mega steelix + mola by itself and samurott appreciates that. These 2 are good partners.

fran17

(1999)

Durant @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- Thunder Fang

Durant is a really nice partner for Samurott; Samurott has some problem passing through some grass types like Amoonguss or Vileplume, which are both checked well by Durant. It also has some problem beating Jellicent and Alomomola, which are both baited and 2HKOed by Durant with Thunder Fang :)

+

SD Samurott is a powerful setup sweep that is able to take out entire teams if they are not prepared for him or his counters/checks were properly defeateds or even weakened. Abomasnow does the job of weaken the opponent's team with his powerful STABS and good coverage added to hail's damage. Aboma checks the main Samurot's checks that are grass types and bulky waters Aboma can weak them enought to Samurot finish his job.

Kenshin (Samurott) @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Northern Impact (Abomasnow) @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 120 HP / 60 Atk / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain

Last edited:

AV Tangrowth is nice as it basically checks most of the stuff SD Samurott would have trouble with. Any priority mons (bar fletch, but Sam can take care of that), Alomomola, Rotom-Mow, Jolteon, etc. Samurott on the other hand, takes care of the things that would scare out Tangrowth, such as most fire types

This core struggles with Amoonguss mainly, but dont forget these are only two mons so you cant beat everything

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake

Last edited:

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

While not THE best partner (MrAldo took my waifu Rotom), Magneton can handle bulky Water-types that might handle Samu, giving it the opportunity for a safer sweep. Samu can take care of fast Ground- and Fire-types that might threaten Rotom, such as Houndoom, Delphox, Rhyperior, and Dugtrio (it can also switch in to the formers' STAB moves) thanks to its Water typing and priority in Aqua Jet.

Last edited:

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
reserving tangrowth
Rerserving Magneton
Hey guys, don't forget to finish these up. Deadline is in two days.

Also, I've got something a little special to share. For winning last week's matchmaking contest, here's the art prize I promised for Scythe. I'll let everyone know the next time I do one of these!

I didn't set out to put this much effort into this, but you know how it goes. In the center is a crown made out of scythes. Please let me know if that doesn't come across. I could probably tweak it a bit if that's the case.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
If this is still going (if not I'll delete the post)

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

SD Rott and Fletchinder share a lot of the same checks and also sort of fulfill the same role, but Fletch breaks down the fat grass-types that wall Rott, and, just as importantly, burns Mega Steelix and bulky waters, making it much more difficult for them to wall Samurott - Mola, especially, can only barely take on Rott and the burn is killer for all but max phys def variants. Speed evs are for 84 speed Banette, which I face waaay too often, but you could put the speed in defense if you're not worried.

This core still struggles with Phys def Mola, Jellicent, and Qwilfish, so a solid grass type can help round out the core (SD Abomasnow for the triple SD core imo).

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Thanks once again for everyone that participated for Week 2! This winners are Rotom (MrAldo), Abomasnow (Brick Small.), and Fletchinder (Lord Death Man). Congrats! This was another incredibly difficult week to choose from, so kudos to everyone. Now on to this week.

Week 3:

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis

The past two weeks have been setup sweepers, so I thought we could use a change of pace. Torterra's a nice bulky rock setter that's pretty sustainable thanks to Synthesis and some really great STABs. With that said, it doesn't have many resistances and its weaknesses are rather common. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Rock Polish

Tyrantrum is a great partner to Torterra, as they both fit in bulky offensive playstyles, and they have a decent typing sinergy. Torterra struggles with flying type that can hit him hard or just defog his hazards off, and Tyrantrum has some problems with Rhyperior and Steelix, which are all checked well by Torterra. Torterra also gives Stealth Rocks to Tyrantrum, which are useful in order to increase the pressure Tyrantrum puts on the opposite team.

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Slowking can deal with the Grass- and Ice-types that so annoy Torterra with Fire Blast and can survive +2 Fletchinder's Acrobatics after SR and Leftovers recovery and kill it with Scald. Slowking's somewhat weaker attacking prowess due to its Bold nature is mitigated by Torterra's Stealth Rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)