RU CCAT 2 [Stage 5]

spuds4ever

Accelgor is the choice.
I take Manectric too seriously to consider it to be underrated.
Flareon is too... or maybe it's just not enough of...

But seriously, move on the next step.

I take Manectric too seriously to consider it to be underrated.
Only the first pick (Meganium) is supposed to be underrated, now we are just supposed to support it as well as we can.

I consider (my opinion) a good scout to be borderline necessary on Balance teams and Accelgor is also pretty good at the role. Encore is such a troll when a lot of stuff has Sub or set up moves

spuds4ever

and with that, voting has ended.

Congratulations to lars for edging out alexwolf by 1 vote for the victory.
That means that our next Pokemon will be

Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Switcheroo
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

You may now begin nominating another Pokemon.

Can I just say OTR Cofag? Does everybody know what I mean? If not:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
0 Speed IV
-Shadow Ball
-Nasty Plot
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
-Trick Room

The best spinblocker in the tier, bar none, and we need one desperately. Discourages people to even switch in their spinners, since so many of them are setup bait for this monster. Number one for a reason. Also takes random Bug and Poison moves aimed at Meganium. Forgive me for my lack of originality, but this thing is hard not to use.

Golurk@Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Shadow Punch
-Hammer Arm
-Earthquake
-Toxic

I look at the three pokemon we have and I think: "Wow, that's almost each major role we need to fill on a balanced team wrapped up in 3 lil' ol' pokemon... except the blindingly obvious lack of a physical attacker." You know what a really useful physical attacker is? This guy. He nets a guaranteed 2hko on 252/0/0 cofag (even after losing Iron fist) and running dual STAB off base 124 attack hits most things pretty nicely. Stone Edge is a viable choice over Toxic but imo one of the more important statuses and good to have on something that is a functional wallbreaker.

The 2 mentioned pokemon are good, but really, only 2 sets for the vote? come on...

Here we go. Never used this, but it curb stomps the TangKing core which is always nice.

Bouffalant

@ Leftovers
Adamant
Sap Sipper
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Swords Dance
Megahorn
Head Charge
Earthquake

Out speeds the core and decimates with Megahorn, also provides a good Sleep Powder switch in and Lilligant check. Head Charge for good power and Lefties recovery is minimizing recoil anyway. Levitating ghosts are good switch ins here, but offensive Rotom still takes like 70% or so from a +2 megahorn iirc.

This set isn't generally my cup of tea, but it gets the job done.

Some cool nominations here, but I'm going to suggest something very effective I've been using in a balance team recently.

Sigilyph @life orb
EVs: 252 sp. atk, 252 spe, Timid
Magic Guard
-Calm mind
-Roost
-Air slash
-Hidden power ground

Sigilyph makes a great go-to offensive pokemon who works very nicely alonside manetric (or just about any volt switcher to be honest). Where manetric is great for breaking down offensive teams, sigilyph excels in tackling balanced and stall-based teams. Calm mind does what we all know it does, and becomes very difficult to wall thanks to magic guard and roost, meaning that common special walls such as slowking can't beat it. Air slash is a solid and reliable STAB which hits very hard after life orb boosts and calm minds. HP fighting gives good coverage alongside air slash and stops it from being walled by the likes of aggron and such.

Edit: switched to HP ground after some good advice.

I would pick hidden power for coverage over bad iv reductions, but generally Ground is arguably just as good in this case anyway (HP fighting hits Aerodactyl, Munchlax, and Clefable harder, but they aren't all that hard to deal with at this point, and the final team probably won't have any problems with them) and HP ground is a little better to hit Qwilfish, Lanturn, Drapion, and Entei harder (as far as common threats go)

Personally, I think a case could be made for either at this point, but keeping the perfect speed ivs is always a plus with a hp

Vratix

Need a spin blocker, need a physical sweeper, Golurk covers both. That's probably why very few other pokemon were nominated.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Buckles

Basically, OTR Cofagrigus is just the best spinblocker in the entire tier so there's no reason not to use it when our team is focused so much on hazards.

Vratix

OTR cofag is over-used and people have started to actually catch on on how to beat it, plus it's a terrible team player in my experience. Not that it's bad, I'd just rather see Golurk here.

I've put quite a lot of thought into this. If it was my team, I would pick Golurk, but this is a community team so I consider Cof the best pick in this situation.

Buckles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)