Munchlax (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 136 HP / 124 Def / 248 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Whirlwind
- Body Slam

Yeah, not only is this thing cute, but it has excellent defensive synergy: resisting two of the types Meganium is weak to, is able to provide paralysis support with Body Slam AND can phaze with Whirlwind. I have just taken the RestTalk set straight from site, as I think the EVs work very well. Leech Seed from Meganium can make up for Muchlax's lack of recovery outside of Rest, which you do not want to be spamming to often. This defensive core is not setup bait either, as both have decent offensive stats for such defensively orientated Pokemon, and both carry a phazing move. Hazards has been mentioned before, and I will mention it again as being an excellent 3rd choice (or second, as alexwolf's Quilfish looks very nice.)

Firstly; I could have sworn that we're supposed to come up with a team type before deciding the next member.

Secondly; *pats Scyther on the back* It's an honor to be nominated, buddy.

Thirdly; Qwilfish would most likely the best choice if we decide for spike-stacking offense, or phazing-based stall. But, if we decide on a team type other than those two (I.E. A team that takes advantage of Meganium to provide set up opportunities), than a slot solely for the express purpose of Spikes and counter a few things that, down the road, may not even threaten us could be a waste of slot. I'm not berating Qwilfish, it would form a nice defensive core with Meganium, I'm simply saying that it may not be worth the trouble later down the road.

Therefore, I'd like to propose this.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpAtk
~ Swords Dance
~ Rapid Spin
~ Stone Edge
~ Aqua Jet

What does this set do? Meganium is grounded, which means it is hit by Spikes. Also, there are several spikers who carry a super effective STAB(Accelgor, Scolipede, Crustle, Qwilfish(though use of a Poison STAB is uncommon, I'll admit)), so a Rapid spinner able to take on three out of four with Stone Edge is good. He also has somewhat decent defensive synergy with Meganium. He attracts electric, grass, and ground attacks that Meganium can switch into. Meganium can attract fire and ice attacks for Kabutops to switch into and get a Spin or SD off. Aqua Jet provides priority, which would be helpful with Hitmonchans who may try to revenge kill you with Mach Punch (The whole point of using Jolly it to outspeed a max speed Hitmonchan), assuming you predict right and SD. Otherwise, you'll only get a 3HKO, while max Atk Hitmonchan scores a 2HKO.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to support Alexwolf's nomination too. Qwilfish has great defensive synergy with Meganium and can take the phyiscal attacks that she won't enjoy. Also, just to reiterate a Cooky's point, the set we are running needs entry hazards. Dragon Tail, Leech Seed, Grasswhistle all those moves encourage or force the opponent to switch his Pokemon around continuously. However, I do have one nitpick. I think we should run Toxic Spikes over Haze. Poison damage does wonders in tandem with Leech Seed and forces Pokemon to switch even more to avoid the damage gradually increasing. Also Haze is not that necessary, as Qwilfish will usually be countering physical attackers and Intimidate around reduces the stat they are likely to be boosting.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to support Alexwolf's nomination too. Qwilfish has great defensive synergy with Meganium and can take the phyiscal attacks that she won't enjoy. Also, just to reiterate a Cooky's point, the set we are running needs entry hazards. Dragon Tail, Leech Seed, Grasswhistle all those moves encourage or force the opponent to switch his Pokemon around continuously. However, I do have one nitpick. I think we should run Toxic Spikes over Haze. Poison damage does wonders in tandem with Leech Seed and forces Pokemon to switch even more to avoid the damage gradually increasing. Also Haze is not that necessary, as Qwilfish will usually be countering physical attackers and Intimidate around reduces the stat they are likely to be boosting.
Let me clarify one thing. The last slot is highly flexible. It depends on the rest of the team, and what particular patches we want to fix on the team.

So if BU Gallade, Klinglang, SD Drapion, and Curse Munchlax prove to be problems to the team when it is formed (they already are for the 2-man core we have now), Haze would be the best option to deal with them. If not then T-Spikes are a perfect alternative.

But let's leave this slot to be decided when the team is built, so that we can make a more accurate decision ok?

Accelgor (M) @ Focus Sash Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Final Gambit
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn
Spikes for Dragon Tail abuse, other moves just to get damage off but mainly used for spikes for meganium to abuse it ya know.

Also please don't let this die!!!

Actually, I prefer to run this set with a choice scarf. Accelgor isn't exactly the best spiker. Final gambit is really its best set. Choice scarf assures that NOTHING can outspeed it (unless you run into a choice scarfed ninjask). There's really no point in having it use anything else. If you want a fast bug spiker, just use scolipede.

Shuckler, actually Accelgor is a fine spiker. Blistering speed paired with sticky hold and respectable special attack means very few common leads outright beat him and Accelgor can usually get at least 2 layers down. Scolipede is not definitively better in this aspect. Accelgor can actually beat many common threats that Scolipede will have trouble with, such as Steelix, Sandslash, Kabutops, and Aerodactyl either with appropriate coverage moves or prediction.

Meanwhile the scarf set you mentioned was previously best at revenging even a standard +3 Sharpedo (an impressive feat in its own right), but Sharpedo is no longer in RU so this is hardly relevant. Accelgor's high speed means that Choice Specs is a far better item choice in almost all cases because it will already outspeed most opponents.

There's really no point in having it use anything else.
Hardly, Accelgor is excellent with Specs, LO, Leftovers or Focus Sash

No offense, but I think (and I'm fairly sure most will agree with me) Tiffanyy's Accelgor set is much more relevant and competitive in today's RU metagame.

Also please don't let this die!!!
^ Please!

We need more sets to vote on!

Alright, we're just going to move this along now so ya...deal w/ it ;)

VOTE!
and not for yourself...and only for one person

alexwolf

I'd like to think that there were few nominations this round just because Qwilfish makes such a good partner for Meganium.

kk I'm gonna end the voting now.

Congratulations to alexwolf for winning with an overwhelming majority!

So, we will be working with Qwilfish.

@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Nature: Impish
Ability: Intimidate
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Haze

Alright, now that we have 2 Pokemon, it's time to vote on what team style you guys want to use :)

You may vote for either Balanced or Stall (we have two walls so offense won't work).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I chose balance, because it is a much more user friendly playstyle than Stall, which is something we should look for, since this is a community team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)