Metagame Re-Evolution

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
With Pokémon HOME coming on we will be having some big changes, first, Terastal Clause will be in effect, and a bunch of stuff will be freed, we are also adding Urshifu-S and Basculegion-Male to the ban list, the end result is the following:
:gyarados:Gyarados
:gholdengo:Gholdengo
:houndstone:Houndstone
:urshifu:Urshifu-S
:basculegion:Basculegion-Male

This is up to change depending on how the council discussion goes, tho.
Terastalizing has been a complicated subject so far and with the banlist growing in size because of mons that were abusing it while still having a lot more that could have ended banned because of it (like Frosmoth, Noivern or Garganacl), we have concluded that balancing around Tera is not worth it in this format.
With the power level increasing and the lack of Tera going forward we will be unbanning Armarouge, Annihilape, Baxcalibur, Ceruledge, Cetitan, Clodsire, Espathra, Gallade, Palafin, Polteageist and Volcarona. So this would be quite the reset.
:urshifu-gmax:
Urshifu-S is being banned on release as there is way less counterplay to it than last gen where it was quickbanned, there are fewer fairies that can try to check it this time around and the adition of SD to its movepool just make things worse.
:basculegion: :basculegion-f:
Basculegion-Male is quite similar to Houndstone, and we expect it to cause the same problems, while there is interest in the council to ban Last Respects instead, we first have to make sure that the much weaker Basculegion-Female is also broken. For reference, the male has 132 Atk while the female has 92.

Now, what I'm looking forward to in the post HOME format:

:urshifu:
The water one also gained access to Sword Dance and this may be enough to put it over the edge, but I think it will be fine in this format as it still has trouble getting pass the same stuff it had problems with last gen like Noivern, Toxapex and Amoonguss while not being particularly fast.

:zacian: :zacian-crowned:
With the nerf it received it should be much less effective than last gen, and we will be even allowing Crowned this time around, don't really expect much from Zacian, 120 Atk is nothing here and even 150 isn't that impressive without the Intrepid Sword boost so if it is forced out once it just become a meh mon.

:calyrex-shadow:
This gen we have way more tools to fight The Shadow Rider, Eviolite Bisharp, Kingambit, Lokix, Meowscarada, Muk Alola and some more on top of all the returning mons, and it wasn't that broken last gen, I may even regret banning it last time as the way the meta developed made it look like it wasn't actually a problem, so is only fair to allow it now. It should still be a potent wall breaker and one of the best Ghost types in the tier.

:kyogre:
We are getting the more offensive rain setter back and that may help at putting rain back into the meta, but I think it depends more on Barraskewda getting Flip Turn back. Either way Kyogre is a good mon, it does hate some of the new aditions to the tier like Water Absorb Clodsire and Goodra-Hisui.

:slowking-galar:
Oh boy, is him, the big boss of reevo is back. I don't actually expect it to be problematic this time around but fear the Future Sight shenanigans it can cause, but the tier seems better prepared to it with more stuff that forces it out and punish the switch than last gen like Ursaluna, Lokix, Kingambit, Samurott-Hisui, etc.

:lilligant-hisui:
This thing looks insane, 175 Atk and 180 Spe, decent bulk, Victory Dance and Hustle is an incredible combination, it may end up being broken but the kinda bad coverage Grass/Fighting provides and unreliability of Hustle may be enough to hold it down.

:braviary-hisui:
187 SpA with either Tinted Lens or Sheer Force seems crazy, is also very bulky with 150/90/90 and has Esper Wing to patch up the speed, so it may end up being broken. Psychic/Flying is an awful typing, so it may end up being just fine, but I imagine it will be pure pain to face with anything that isn't offensive.

:ursaluna:
Is actually slower and weaker than Ursaring here, but much bulkier than non-eviolite Ursaring and that's good because both want to use Flame Orb, the ground typing should also make a big difference with all the resistances it provides on top of stab Headlong Rush. I would argue Ursaring is still better, but both should have a niche.

Samurott-Hisui and Arcanine-Hisui seem interesting, but can't say anything about them that can't be said on any other format. The other returning legends may not be good at all, Arceus looks like what Silvally would look in standard tiers, Rayquaza is usable, Calyrex-Ice is there, Groudon has to compete with the other bulky grounds but is a sun setter if you don't want to use Koraidon, none of the others are worth talking about.

KaenSoul

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
With DLC1 coming out, there really isn't much to talk about yet, so for now there is only one banlist change:
Milotic is now banned! (surprising no one)
With 170/105/138/190/195/82 stats is just too bulky and too strong, I don't think I need to explain any further.

Question: So if a pokemon loses some of their stat after evolving, would if be lowered again?
Example: Basculin has 98 Speed and after evolving to Basculegion it loses 20 Speed. Would this mean that Basculegion's speed is now 58 instead of 78?

KaenSoul

Community Leader
Question: So if a pokemon loses some of their stat after evolving, would if be lowered again?
Example: Basculin has 98 Speed and after evolving to Basculegion it loses 20 Speed. Would this mean that Basculegion's speed is now 58 instead of 78?
Correct, all stat changes are applied, because of this some stuff doesn't even get decent stat buffs, like Scizor staying at 500BST or Shedinja dropping 30 BST.
You can check all the changes with the /reevo command in showdown.

Correct, all stat changes are applied, because of this some stuff doesn't even get decent stat buffs, like Scizor staying at 500BST or Shedinja dropping 30 BST.
You can check all the changes with the /reevo command in showdown.
Is the /reevo command an in battle command? Or can it be used in teambuilder?

I don't know a lot about this metagame but Dipplin looks like a monster.
Dipplin @ Eviolite
Ability: Sticky Hold
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold or Relaxed Nature(if Gyro Ball)
IVs: 0 Atk or 0 Speed (if Gyro Ball)
- Giga Drain/Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse/Gyro Ball
- Infestation
- Recover
New stats: 120/120/140/150/120/60
The issue with Dipplin in the regular metagames is the fact that Dipplin lacks damage output and lacks speed. However, with the re-evolution mechanic, Dipplin gains a powerful 150 SpA boost and increases its bulk immensely, and with the Eviolite, Dipplin would become one of the hardest walls to break through. Unfortunatley, Dipplin is still quite slow, but it could take advantage of that low speed stat by using Gyro Ball.

Here's a funny calc: 252+ Atk Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tera Steel Dipplin: 182-216 (40.9 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned Jolteon yet? It gets base 205 speed and 175 special attack. That seems a bit overpowered to me.
It is very fast, however there's stuff that hits harder, and the fact that it lacks access to good coverage hurts it a lot.
About to say, lack of coverage hurts Jolteon quite a bit. However, I certainly shouldn't look down on Tera Blast Ice.

Last edited:
Wanted to give some attention to some of the new mons so here are some good sets:
Alcremie (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Draining Kiss
- Stored Power
There are many other moves you could use such as Acid Armor, Energy Ball, Psyshock, and maybe Mystical Fire (lots of Fairy types lost access to Mystical Fire). Seems like a solid Noivern counter with 181 Sp Def and a good typing as well. New stats for Alcremie are: 85:80:110:170:181:94

Araquanid @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Bubble
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
Sticky Web, very high Sp Def, Water Bubble Liquidation, this mon seems pretty good. Unfortunately, not much of a wide movepool so it might not be that good. New stats: 98:100:132:60:192:57

All the Hitmons look pretty good, but I wanna bring attention to Hitmonlee.
Hitmonlee (M) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
Hits hard, outspeeds Noivern after Unburden, and has great ultility moves such as EQ and Knock. I think this will be a threat. Might just end up being a worse Gallade but hopefully not. New stats: 65:205:71:35:185:139

This is all I'll have for now. Might add some more later.
(Edit: I added one later.)

:Incineroar: @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Parting Shot
New stats: 125/145/130/80/130/30
That bulk is pretty insane. Heres a calc:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Noivern Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Incineroar: 167-197 (36.7 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Wow...
Didn't do the calc, but a Draco Meteor would probably do around 58%.
And another:
-1 252+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Incineroar: 378-446 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Somehow, Sharpness boosted Adamant Nature Sacred Sword from 215 Attack Gallade can't even OHKO a max HP Incineroar and then can click Will-O-Wisp.

Last edited:
Here are some sets i've been using.

:barraskewda: Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Flip Turn
- Close Combat

Base stats: 81 / 183 / 80 / 80 / 70 / 206 (700 BST)

This thing is an amazing revenge killer and wallbreaker.
Did Volcarona get a quiver dance? Barraskewda disagrees.
Just generally having something this absurdly fast and immediately powerful makes it tough for your opponent to set up with/use anything that's physically frail or has a water weakness.

:tyranitar: Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Avalanche

Base stats: 130 / 184 / 150 / 125 / 130 / 71 (790 BST)

Ttar can tank most unboosted hits and likely OHKO in return, special hits in particular are almost never worse than a 3HKO.

:corviknight: Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Body Press
- Defog
- U-turn

Base stats: 128 / 107 / 155 / 63/ 115 / 57 (625 BST)

Despite the fairly low BST for this meta, Corviknight seems like a great defensive option, comfortably switching into Palafin and punishing it's many jet punches and flip turns with rocky helmet chip damage, and the fact that Corviknight is slower than Corvisquire makes it extremely slow by the standards of this metagame, being a slow pivot only outslowed by Slowking.

Last edited:
:Volcarona:
Volcarona Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame body
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
Ivs: 0 Atk
Fire blast
Quiver dance
Giga drain
Filler

if there ever was a time to say it, this is the pokemon equivalent of legalize nuclear bombs
why not run fiery dance, I feel like it would be worth it for the 100% accuracy alone given that volcarona already has base 220 SpA and the best boosting move in the game, making it not really need the extra power.

I haven’t even played a single game, but I know that whatever team I make is going to have Breloom on it; 60/220/100/80/60/105 is the funniest stat spread I can think of

Edit: forgot that spore was banned… isn’t collective punishment against the Geneva Convention? rip loom

Last edited:

KaenSoul

Community Leader
Farmed the ladder with a semistall, is quite easy to pilot, just wear down the opponent with the walls and sand, then sweep with ceruledge. Reuniclus is good eating stall teams, as psychic noise messes with the passive teams that try to win by outlasting you. CB TTar is great in general and makes the weather matchup quite easy, just be careful to not knock off stuff you need to hit with poltergeist.
:ceruledge: :tyranitar: :quagsire: :toxapex: :corviknight: :reuniclus:
https://pokepast.es/1fac0dca5fe85671

Something about clodsire and toxapex feel so satisfying to wall literally everything. Clod especially does not give a single damn about anything, this is pex at it's most true form. Beat up the ladder with this classic stall team on one of my alts.
:clodsire: :toxapex: :corviknight: :mandibuzz: :chansey: :Gliscor:
https://pokepast.es/efc94cf8144826eb
:Clodsire: and :toxapex: are pretty self explanatory, throw them out at anything and they'll deliver. Click toxic, haze, stealth rock, they're your best friends.
:Corviknight: patches up their ground and psychic weakness and can straight up win the game if they have no answers.
:Mandibuzz: Defogger, very good ceruledge answer (if pex wasn't knocked off) and provides knock off. Can easily take a hit if needed
:Gliscor: Spikes, protect, spikes, protect, spikes, protect, sometimes knock off
:Chansey: Bit of a flex pick as you can slot anybody here, i just choose chansey as an emergency check if clod somehow goes down.
These 6 provide a strong defensive core, they also support pex and clod expertly, and now you may ask "but what about Annihilape?"
Answer: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9reevolution-2049959856

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)