Pet Mod Random Dex

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Approved by AquaticPanic
Random Dex
Welcome to Random Dex! In this petmod, 80 randomly selected fully-evolved pokemon as well as their pre-evolutions will make the metagame. The goal will be to make an Overused, Underused and Uber format for this new pokédex, as well as determining viability, sets, cores and everything else that makes a metagame. Follows Gen 8 OU Clauses and ability and item bans (Shadow Tag, Arena Trap, Moody, King's Rock, Razor Claw)

Tier Creation
The first thing we'll be doing with the random dex is deciding wether pokemon should be classified in the Uber, Overused or Underused formats. Overused is the base format, Uber is Overused's banlist and Underused is for pokemon too weak for Overused.

Making Resources
Once we've set a balance for the formats, we will then focus on making resources, including viability rankings, common sets and teammates for each pokemon. The Overused viability rankings will notably determine which pokemon will be Underused. B- pokemon and below will be dropped a tier.

Current Metagames

:absol:Absol
:absol-mega:Absol-Mega
:appletun:Appletun
:articuno:Articuno
:aurorus:Aurorus
:basculin:Basculin
:beartic:Beartic
:bisharp:Bisharp
:calyrex:Calyrex
:camerupt:Camerupt
:camerupt-mega:Camerupt-Mega
:celesteela:Celesteela
:cloyster:Cloyster
:crawdaunt:Crawdaunt
:cursola:Cursola
:dedenne:Dedenne
:delibird:Delibird
:eelektross:Eelektross
:espeon:Espeon
:flapple:Flapple
:flareon:Flareon
:flygon:Flygon
:galvantula:Galvantula
:girafarig:Girafarig
:glaceon:Glaceon
:goodra:Goodra
:gourgeist:Gourgeist
:grimmsnarl:Grimmsnarl
:guzzlord:Guzzlord
:heliolisk:Heliolisk
:hitmonchan:Hitmonchan
:hitmonlee:Hitmonlee
:hitmontop:Hitmontop
:incineroar:Incineroar
:indeedee:Indeedee
:jolteon:Jolteon
:kangaskhan:Kangaskhan
:kommo-o:Kommo-o
:lanturn:Lanturn
:leafeon:Leafeon
:leavanny:Leavanny
:ludicolo:Ludicolo
:lunatone:Lunatone
:luvdisc:Luvdisc
:machamp:Machamp
:mandibuzz:Mandibuzz
:medicham:Medicham
:nihilego:Nihilego
:palossand:Palossand
:pidgeot:Pidgeot
:pidgeot-mega:Pidgeot-Mega
:probopass:Probopass
:pyroar:Pyroar
:sawk:Sawk
:sceptile:Sceptile
:sceptile-mega:Sceptile-Mega
:scolipede:Scolipede
:shiftry:Shiftry
:simisage:Simisage
:slowbro:Slowbro
:slowbro-mega:Slowbro-Mega
:slowking:Slowking
:swoobat:Swoobat
:sylveon:Sylveon
:tapu bulu:Tapu Bulu
:tapu fini:Tapu Fini
:tauros:Tauros
:typhlosion:Typhlosion
:umbreon:Umbreon
:ursaring:Ursaring
:vaporeon:Vaporeon
:whiscash:Whiscash
:wishiwashi:Wishiwashi
:zebstrika:Zebstrika

:kangaskhan-mega:Kangaskhan-Mega
:kartana:Kartana
:kyurem:Kyurem
:medicham-mega:Medicham-Mega

Old Metagames (Current on Showdown)

:aerodactyl:Aerodactyl
:arbok:Arbok
:arcanine:Arcanine
:archeops:Archeops
:articuno-galar:Articuno-Galar
:banette:Banette
:bellossom:Bellossom
:bibarel:Bibarel
:boltund:Boltund
:charizard:Charizard
:chimecho:Chimecho
:clawitzer:Clawitzer
:coalossal:Coalossal
:copperajah:Copperajah
:cradily:Cradily
:dragalge:Dragalge
:drampa:Drampa
:drednaw:Drednaw
:druddigon:Druddigon
:dugtrio:Dugtrio
:excadrill:Excadrill
:feraligatr:Feraligatr
:florges:Florges
:froslass:Froslass
:frosmoth:Frosmoth
:glalie:Glalie
:golurk:Golurk
:hippowdon:Hippowdon
:houndoom:Houndoom
:infernape:Infernape
:inteleon:Inteleon
:klefki:Klefki
:komala:Komala
:landorus:Landorus
:landorus-therian:Landorus-Therian
:latias:Latias
:linoone:Linoone
:malamar:Malamar
:manectric:Manectric
:moltres:Moltres
:moltres-galar:Moltres-Galar
:mr. mime:Mr. Mime
:obstagoon:Obstagoon
:octillery:Octillery
:omastar:Omastar
:pyukumuku:Pyukumuku
:regice:Regice
:relicanth:Relicanth
:runerigus:Runerigus
:salazzle:Salazzle
:sandslash-alola:Sandslash-Alola
:sirfetchSirfetch'd
:spectrier:Spectrier
:spinda:Spinda
:stakataka:Stakataka
:stoutland:Stoutland
:stunfisk-galar:Stunfisk-Galar
:swellow:Swellow
:togedemaru:Togedemaru
:tyrantrum:Tyrantrum
:venusaur:Venusaur
:vileplume:Vileplume
:volbeat:Volbeat
:whimsicott:Whimsicott
:zarude:Zarude

:groudon:Groudon
:kyurem-white:Kyurem-White
:reshiram:Reshiram

Council
:buizel: Mossy Sandwich
:zweilous: Gravity Monkey
:uxie: Hematemesis

Discord
Spreadsheet (Shoutouts to inkbug!)

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
The Pokédex
Here is the list of fully evolved pokemon that will be allowed in the metagame! Note that pre-evolutions will be allowed, but that the pokemon will not be able to use another regional form unless the regional form is also listed. Keep in mind the format follows the generation 8 rules, meaning that moves like Hidden Power and Return will not be allowed. However, if a pokemon that previously wasn't part of the galarian dex before this mod is in this list, it will keep every single one of its moves that is usable in gen 8 as well as any signature move it may have. With that said, here are the pokemons!
:aerodactyl:Aerodactyl
:arbok:Arbok
:arcanine:Arcanine
:archeops:Archeops
:articuno-galar:Articuno-Galar
:banette:Banette
:bellossom:Bellossom
:bibarel:Bibarel
:boltund:Boltund
:charizard:Charizard
:chimecho:Chimecho
:clawitzer:Clawitzer
:coalossal:Coalossal
:copperajah:Copperajah
:cradily:Cradily
:dragalge:Dragalge
:drampa:Drampa
:drednaw:Drednaw
:druddigon:Druddigon
:dugtrio:Dugtrio
:excadrill:Excadrill
:feraligatr:Feraligatr
:florges:Florges
:froslass:Froslass
:frosmoth:Frosmoth
:glalie:Glalie
:golurk:Golurk
:groudon:Groudon
:hippowdon:Hippowdon
:houndoom:Houndoom
:infernape:Infernape
:inteleon:Inteleon
:klefki:Klefki
:komala:Komala
:kyurem-white:Kyurem-White
:landorus:Landorus
:landorus-therian:Landorus-Therian
:latias:Latias
:linoone:Linoone
:malamar:Malamar
:manectric:Manectric
:moltres:Moltres
:moltres-galar:Moltres-Galar
:mr. mime:Mr. Mime
:obstagoon:Obstagoon
:octillery:Octillery
:omastar:Omastar
:pyukumuku:Pyukumuku
:regice:Regice
:relicanth:Relicanth
:reshiram:Reshiram
:runerigus:Runerigus
:salazzle:Salazzle
:sandslash-alola:Sandslash-Alola
:sirfetchSirfetch'd
:spectrier:Spectrier
:spinda:Spinda
:stakataka:Stakataka
:stoutland:Stoutland
:stunfisk-galar:Stunfisk-Galar
:swellow:Swellow
:togedemaru:Togedemaru
:tyrantrum:Tyrantrum
:venusaur:Venusaur
:vileplume:Vileplume
:volbeat:Volbeat
:whimsicott:Whimsicott
:zarude:Zarude
For now, we will discuss the format as well as the early bans that should be applied to the Overused format.

Last edited:
OK first thing's first: ban the ubers.
Groudon, Spectrier, Lando-I
oh god i didnt even notice reshiram and the kyurems
just get them out, they will make this metagame unfun, almost guaranteed.

Other than that, this looks really fun! We've got some very interesting mons like Dragalge, Druddigon, and Malamar, and I can actually see Arcanine being used quite a bit here due to having Intimidate in a limited meta, although Lando-T kinda steals its spotlight.
Very nice variety of roles, although at a glance attackers seem to skew physical. I'm noticing a lot of fun utility mons as well.

One of the fun things I've noticed here that probably isnt particularly relevant is the presence of both Archeops and Runerigus, so I'm definitely going to make a team/part of a team dedicated to getting rid of Defeatist.

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Stuff I notice at first glance, with zero calcs -

- Kyurem-W, Groudon, and Reshiram feel like all but guaranteed bans. They get way too much mileage off of their stats and really lack defensive answers given the existing Pokemon.

- Spectrier and Landorus-I are our two Ubers, and I don't think they have a great chance here even if said chance exists. Spectrier practically necessitates a Ghost resist, but for Pokemon that I think have a chance, that does include Umbreon, Zarude, Moltres-G, Obstagoon, and maybe Swellow...the format is going to be very limited in what all is super good so it might not be too terrible, honestly, but I'm probably wrong. Landorus-I does have its absolute hardest good counter in the game in this format, that being Latias, and something weird like Vaporeon might pop up and be an okay stop but I don't h. Landorus-I is 99% ban from me but it's not out of the question.

- Base Kyurem looks scary. This Pokemon is difficult to wall as is and its few counters in OU don't exist anymore, so it might be up for banning as well, but I'd be hesitant since specially bulky Fairies still do exist. Excadrill also looks terrifying thanks to easy Sand support and most of our Grasses either being flimsy, lacking an actual Ground resistance, or being weak to Steel in Tapu Bulu's case. Zarude is the exception and might not be a bad Pokemon on its own. I am curious to see if Stoutland takes its place as a Sand abuser, but probably not thanks to its weird movepool.

- Good defensive Pokemon will likely include - Landorus-T, Florges, Hippowdon, Tapu Bulu, as well as maybe some Eevees, Pyukumuku, or either Vileplume or Venusaur. Our Wish users should enable some Steels like Copperajah, Stunfisk-G and Klefki. The prominent breakers of this meta will likely depend on what gets past or abuses those the easiest.

- Funny observation here, but Probopass is the sole Magnet Pull user in the format, and the meta might see Fairy + Steel cores...that means there is a nonzero chance that vanilla Probopass is viable lol. Its Sp. Atk is 75 but it does get Earth Power, and none of the Steels in the meta are immune to it even if two of them get Ground moves to hit it back...I doubt it'll see use, but hey, it's a nice thought.

- Less Steels means Latias is has an easer time breaking and such. Tapus suck for it and Steels still do exist but it has Psyshock as an option for Florges and Sylveon and the Steels are worse. Can't really comment on other offensive Pokemon.

:groudon: :kyurem-white: :reshiram: :landorus: :spectrier: Our Ubers, ladies and gentlemen. It doesn't take rocket science to deduce that the first four should GTFO as quick as possible due to being on a whole different level than our mons, and Spectrier will probably get the boot soon enough due to essentially forcing a Ghost resist on every team.

:dragalge: :drampa: :latias: :kyurem: Dragons appear to be very strong in this meta, thanks to a lack of Steel & Fairy types here. Additionally, nearly every Steel we do have can be trapped & removed with Probopass, with the exception of Excadrill and Stak. Perhaps Latias will be looked at some time in the future? It's too early to tell, but there's always a possibility it could be too much.

:tapu bulu: Haha funny Grass man go brrrr. Thankfully, we have actual stops to prevent Bulu from going apeshit, but it'll definitely be something to prepare for. Easy A+ mon here.

:indeedee: :golurk: Strong breakers are strong. Who knew? Jokes aside, I see these two becoming premier breakers here due to a significant lack of competition and easily spammable STABs that don't have many ways to be punished, especially considering that both of them have the coverage to deal with our Darks. They still have their flaws, most notably they're lackluster bulk & poor speed in the case of Golurk, but it's a big step-up from native SS.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Mons By Type
Rock: :aerodactyl: :archeops: :coalossal: :cradily: :drednaw: :omastar: :probopass: :relicanth: :stakataka: :tyrantrum:
Flying: :aerodactyl: :archeops: :articuno-galar: :charizard: :landorus: :landorus-therian: :moltres: :moltres-galar: :swellow:
Poison: :arbok: :dragalge: :salazzle: :venusaur: :vileplume:
Fire: :arcanine: :charizard: :coalossal: :flareon: :houndoom: :infernape: :moltres: :reshiram: :salazzle:
Psychic: :articuno-galar: :chimecho: :espeon: :girafarig: :indeedee: :latias: :malamar: :mr.-mime:
Ghost: :banette: :cursola: :froslass: :golurk: :palossand: :runerigus: :spectrier:
Grass: :bellossom: :cradily: :leafeon: :tapu-bulu: :venusaur: :vileplume: :whimsicott: :zarude:
Normal: :bibarel: :drampa: :girafarig: :indeedee: :kangaskhan: :komala: :linoone: :obstagoon: :spinda: :stoutland: :swellow: :tauros:
Water: :bibarel: :clawitzer: :drednaw: :feraligatr: :inteleon: :luvdisc: :octillery: :omastar: :pyukumuku: :relicanth: :tapu-fini: :vaporeon:
Electric: :boltund: :dedenne: :jolteon: :manectric: :togedemaru:
Steel: :copperajah: :excadrill: :klefki: :probopass: :sandslash-alola: :stakataka: :stunfisk-galar: :togedemaru:
Fairy: :dedenne: :florges: :grimmsnarl: :klefki: :mr.-mime: :sylveon: :tapu-bulu: :tapu-fini: :whimsicott:
Dragon: :dragalge: :drampa: :druddigon: :kyurem: :kyurem-white: :latias: :reshiram: :tyrantrum:
Ground: :dugtrio: :excadrill: :golurk: :groudon: :hippowdon: :landorus: :landorus-therian: :palossand: :runerigus: :stunfisk-galar:
Ice: :froslass: :frosmoth: :glaceon: :glalie: :kyurem: :kyurem-white: :regice: :sandslash-alola:
Bug: :frosmoth: :volbeat:
Dark: :grimmsnarl: :houndoom: :malamar: :moltres-galar: :obstagoon: :umbreon: :zarude:
Fighting: :hitmonchan: :hitmonlee: :hitmontop: :infernape: :sawk: :sirfetch

Stealth Rock: :tyrantrum: :coalossal: :sandslash-alola: :dugtrio: :omastar: :aerodactyl: :cursola: :probopass: :cradily: :relicanth: :groudon: :infernape: :bibarel: :hippowdon: :excadrill: :archeops: :stunfisk-galar: :golurk: :landorus: :landorus-therian: :palossand: :copperajah: :druddigon:
Spikes: :klefki: :sandslash-alola: :omastar: :glalie: :froslass: :coalossal:
Toxic Spikes: :dragalge: :omastar: :runerigus:
Sticky Web: none
Spinners: :coalossal: :excadrill: :hitmonlee: :hitmonchan: :hitmontop: :sandslash-alola: :spinda:
Defog: :aerodactyl: :archeops: :whimsicott: :drampa: :sirfetch :frosmoth: :klefki: :latias: :reshiram: :tapu-fini:
Defiant: :obstagoon:
Competitive: :boltund: :articuno-galar:
Contrary: :spinda: :malamar:

U-Turn: :archeops: :inteleon: :zarude: :articuno-galar: :moltres-galar: :swellow: :volbeat: :infernape: :whimsicott: :landorus: :clawitzer: :dedenne: :komala: :frosmoth:
Volt Switch: :boltund: :dedenne: :jolteon: :manectric: :togedemaru: :probopass:
Flip Turn: :vaporeon: :clawitzer: :dragalge:
Parting Shot: :obstagoon:
Teleport: :arcanine: :mr.-mime:

Speed Tiers:
130: :spectrier: :jolteon::aerodactyl:
125: :swellow:
121: :boltund:
120: :inteleon: :dugtrio:
117: :salazzle:
116: :whimsicott:
110: :latias: :espeon: :froslass: :archeops: :tauros:
108: :infernape:
105: :manectric: :zarude:
101: :landorus: :dedenne:
100: :linoone:
97: :luvdisc:
96: :togedemaru:
95: :kyurem: :kyurem-white: :arcanine: :articuno-galar: :houndoom: :indeedee: :leafeon: :obstagoon:
91: :landorus-therian:
90: :groudon: :reshiram: :moltres: :kangaskhan: :moltres-galar: :mr.-mime:
88: :excadrill:
87: :hitmonlee:
85: :tapu-fini: :girafarig: :volbeat:
80: :arbok: :glalie: :stoutland: :venusaur:
78: :feraligatr:
76: :hitmonchan:
75: :florges: :klefki: :tapu-bulu:
74: :drednaw:
73: :malamar:
71: :bibarel: :tyrantrum:
70: :hitmontop:
65: :umbreon: :banette: :flareon: :frosmoth: :glaceon: :komala: :sandslash-alola: :sirfetch :vaporeon:
60: :grimmsnarl: :sylveon:
55: :golurk: :omastar: :relicanth:
50: :regice: :vileplume: :bellossom:
48: :druddigon:
47: :hippowdon:
45: :octillery:
44: :dragalge:
43: :cradily:
40: :probopass:
36: :drampa:
32: :stunfisk-galar:
30: :coalossal: :copperajah: :cursola: :runerigus:
13: :stakataka:
5: :pyukumuku:

Last edited:

Tapler

Coral Bitch
is a Top Social Media Contributor
thought time
:spectrier:- I actually think this mon is fine here, the thing that really pushed it over the edge in OU was a lack of counters that fit well into the current OU metagame and it generally straining teambuilding, but not only is teambuilding heavily restrained here to begin with, plenty of mons that are likely to be high-tier have great matchups against it. Goon, Swellow, Zarude, Umbreon, Grimm, Moltres-G… we’ll have to see if it’s still broken, but I doubt it will be anywhere near as strong as it was during its time in OU.

:kyurem:- This one’s probably going to be one of the first bans after the current Ubers, Kyurem in a meta with a lack of bulky Steels and a lack of SpDef in general is going to be pretty insane.

:landorus-therian:- I’m pretty sure Lando-T’s only check is itself, and while there have def been periods in OU like that in the past, I’m not so sure how it will turn out with the lower power level here, def very scary and potentially banworthy.

:excadrill:- Another potential ban candidate down the line, partially due to Sand looking pretty unstoppable once Groudon’s gone and partially just because it looks unwallable outside of broken Lando-T and, like, maybe Zarude or Vileplume (Bellossom???).

:swellow:- Between this thing being the second-fastest mon in the meta and the lack of bulky Steels, I think Swellow is going to be fire. Guts Facade and Specs Scrappy Boomburst both go hard here.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Aight here's my take, Drampa's in so of course I gotta have my say on tiers.

Ubers
Groudon
Landorus
1630447073328.png
Reshiram
Spectrier

OU

Aerodactyl
Arcanine
Charizard
Copperajah
Dragalge
Espeon
Excadrill
Feraligatr
Florges
Froslass
Golurk
Grimmsnarl
Hippowdon
Indeedee
Infernape
Inteleon
Klefki
Kyurem
Latias
Linoone
Moltres
Moltres
Mr. Mime
Obstagoon
Omastar
Salazzle
Sirfetch'd
Stakataka
Swellow
Sylveon
Tapu Bulu
Tapu Fini
Tauros
Togedemaru
Tyrantrum
Umbreon
Vaporeon
Venusaur
Vileplume
Zarude

UU
Articuno
Arbok
Archeops
Banette
Bellossom
Bibarel
Boltund
Chimecho
Clawitzer
Coalossal
Cradily
Cursola
Dedenne
Drampa
Drednaw
Druddigon
Dugtrio
Flareon
Frosmoth
Girafarig
Glalie
Glaceon
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Hitmontop
Houndoom
Jolteon
Kangaskhan
Komala
Leafeon
Luvdisc
Malamar
Manectric
Octillery
Palossand
Probopass
Pyukumuku
Regice
Relicanth
Runerigus
Sandslash
Sawk
Spinda
Stoutland
Stunfisk
Volbeat
Whimsicott

A couple of explanations:
-When making this list I tried my best to avoid overlapping by putting similar mons in different tiers. For example, Aerodactyl, Froslass and Vileplume are in OU to prevent from outclassing Archeops, Glalie and Cradily respectively.
-Some insight into more potentially controversial nominations
  • OU is so Dark-infested that Mr. Mime probably has a niche in being a Psychic that can take them on, even if it turns out to still be UU. Also my previous clause applies as I don't want Chimecho and Girafarig being outclassed.
  • I honestly don't think Lando-T is a good idea for OU. The power level is just too low and the tier is gonna have enough Ground fare on its plate with Sand cores being able to exist and not a whole lot of Flying types to take them on. He'll have a fine enough niche in Ubers anyway I think.
  • Togedemaru and Copperajah are probably some of the best non-Excadrill Steels in this environment, and the former is easily the best Electric too although that's not saying much at all considering how dismal the selection is for that type.
  • I want to believe in my boi Drampa, but unfortunately I feel like Latias existing largely kills any OU niche it could have. Even Dragalge has entry hazards and slow pivoting to its name.
  • Omastar is our only Shell Smasher and if it was in UU it'd probably either be too OP or completely kill Relicanth/Drednaw usage.

https://pokepast.es/7301bdffd3f4aa35
Little team I made on the moment:
:latias: With Land-T and Excadrill (if it doesn't get banned), will be the most meta-defining mon, hits like a truck in a meta with generally low special defense and few of Fairies and Steels (the latters which get, apart from Klefki and Sturdy Togedemaru, OHKOed by Aura Sphere).
:Florges: Hands down best fairy, fulfills a pretty good role as a cleric and wishpasser.
:Landorus-Therian: (Yes I stole the set from Smogon because I had no ideas) Pretty Self-explanatory, sets hazards, has u-turn for momentum, koff and Ground is one of the best offensive types.
:Feraligatr: Currently the closest thing after Kyurem that can revenge kill Lando, Liquidation-Ice Punch-Earthquake hit 3/4 of the meta super-effectively.
:Togedemaru: after Exca, the best steel, has a good chance to make the foe flinch and hits se fairies, waters and flyings
:Tapu Fini: Checks Latias, Defog to remove hazards, Taunt to block enemy walls from healing/statusing, scald to pick a lucky burn and moonblast for the raw power

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
(maybe)
This is what I'd imagine the ubers banlist looks like. Most are obvious, but I'll explain the outliers. Lando-T just seems too good for this format- It can boost through Hippowdon and can tech smth like Sludge Wave for Bulu, people forget this thing has 145 attack+105 spa sometimes. Spectrier as fast+strong as hell, forces Darks/Swellow onto teams, and only a few of those darks can actually outlast it (Zarude, Rest Goltres, awful mon Umbreon). Sand offense looks absolutely busted, with really only opposing Hippowdons surviving Excadrill. Bulu is the one I'm least sure on, but due to the absolutely dire state of this meta's steel types a SD+STAB+Zen+Stone Edge set doesn't really have a whole lot of counters, and its fat as hell for this power level. Might be worth looking at.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
So, this Pet Mod only have two Bug-type Pokémon. Unfortunately, the two aren’t something to be subtainably viable anytime soon in OU.

:frosmoth:
Frosmoth suffers from a combination of slow speed, frail Defense, and abysmal defensive typing. There is no denying that Ice is a strong offensive type, with Froslass only having Kyurem as the competition. It could see at least niche uses in UU thanks to Ice Scales and Quiver Dance, but not anything spectacular.

Correction - Frosmoth can outspeed most of the Pokémon listed here through Quiver Dance thanks to relatively lower average Speed, so it can be a threat in OU, if not UU. Obviously Heavy-Duty Boots are a must, considering the double weakness to Rock and thus, Stealth Rock.

:volbeat:
Volbeat is one of those middling-to-weak single-stage Pokémon and a master-of-none at that. It isn’t strong enough to confront all of those strong Dark-type in OU, and Baton Pass is banned, so Tail Glow + Baton Pass is out of question. Prankster is something it might be going for, but even then, it is not strong or bulky enough to be really useful in the long run in any team as it compete with Whimsicott, the other Prankster user with moderately better bulk and defensive typing. U-Turn does give it a niche, but that would be stretching it. At least it’s no Luvdisc… what the heck, it’s actually just as hopeless as Luvdisc!

So it’s a RIP for Bug-type unless I missed an important detail.

Last edited:

inkbug

Maybe the real mega pokemon were the friends we ma
is a Community Contributor
Hiya folks! I was messing around in Google Sheets with an old utility sheet my pal Hematite made a long time ago that I've been periodically repurposing for micrometas like this. Here's the sheet, in case anyone was curious! It lists typings (+ stab combination effectiveness and type combination weaknesses/resists), stats, Hematite's world-famous bulk rating calculations, and most importantly what moves, from several lists of useful utility moves, are available in any given Pokemon's learnset. It's meant to aid in teambuilding, as well as getting an idea of what niche tools certain Pokemon have access to that could influence the roles they take in a metagame.

I also added a page with some basic but mildly interesting statistics about overall type effectiveness within the micrometa.

Hope this helps!

(Edit a few minutes later; made some fixes to the sheet with stuff i missed ! thanks mossy)

Last edited:

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Originally I was going to give my thoughts on every Pokemon, but instead of giving you the same statement for the 100th time, I thought I'm gonna do a little guideline for the Ubers and Top Tiers (imo).

:ss/groudon:
Groudon is an obvious Uber, however it will remain for a bit in this metagame, so it is important to keep it in check.

Checks: :latias::landorus-therian::zarude::tapu-bulu:
Latias is the best check to it due to its typing and Levitate. It's speed and SpA allow it to outrun and damage it with Draco or Ice Beam. It has to be careful for Dragon Claw or Toxic. Landorus-T and Zarude are the second best checks imo. Both outrun Groudon naturally and both can tank some hits. Landorus-T is more offensive, but Zarude has the better longevity and cure status. Tapu Bulu works as well, but not to the same extent as Zarude, but it still works, if you can't fit the other Pokemon.

Partners: :venusaur::charizard::kyurem-white:
The first two are obvious partners for it. Groudon is actually a good check to sand, so it allows Venusaur and Charizard to wreck stuff. Kyurem.White might be an odd pick, but Fusion Flare gets fired up by Sun and those two make for a fantastic duo. A dangerous physical breaker and a dangerous special breaker.

:ss/kyurem-white:
No way this stays and I don't need to explain why. Let's get to the checks and partners.

Checks: :tapu-fini::florges::klefki::copperajah::latias:
Tapu Fini and Florges are the best checks due to their typing and special bulk. Fini is better cause it resists Ice and Fire, but Florges doesn't get super effectively at all and has Wish for longevity. Klefki and Copperajah are the second best, due to their Steel-type. They both lack recovery and are weak to Fusion Flare (or any coverage move), so they struggle more. Latias can't take any STAB, but it can check it offensively.

Partner: :groudon::tapu-fini::florges::excadrill:
I already mentioned that Groudon and Kyurem-White are good partners, so let's get to Fini, Florges and Drill. Fini and Florges are not only the best checks to it, they also remove Hazards for Kyurem-W, so it can switch in more easily. Excadrill does the same thing but as a spinner, while also being a potential late game sweeper.

:ss/reshiram:
Reshiram is really similar to Kyurem-W. So its checks are basically the same with the exceptions of the Steels and the fact that Latias can switch into a STAB move. It's partners are really the same and Groudon is also a better partner because of the sun.

:ss/landorus:
Landorus is also really strong and restrictive, but it has more counterplay than the others. For me, it's still an Uber.

Checks: :latias::landorus-therian::moltres::frosmoth::tapu-bulu:
Latias and Lando-T resist Focus Blast and Sludge Wave (in the formers case also Psychic) and are immune to Earth Power. Latias is faster and can attack it, while Lando-T struggles with its lower speed and lack of longevity. Moltres and (yeah, I'm serious) Frosmoth also serve as decent checks to it. Moltres is immune to Ground and resists Fighting, while Frosmoth's ability allows it to tank hits. Both are ruined by Rock Slide however. Tapu Bulu resists Earth Power and Focus Blast, but is ruined by Sludge Wave.

Partners: :tapu-fini::florges:
Fini is a good partner for it, since it checks Lando's checks (lol). Florges doesn't check Lando-T, Moltres and Frosmoth that well, but it has better longevity and is a better check to Latias. Bulu ruins both however.

:ss/spectrier:
No way this stays in. Let's get this over.

Checks: :tapu-fini::zarude::moltres-galar::swellow::obstagoon::umbreon:
Fini and Zarude might be the best checks to Spectrier. Both have a way to deal with status and have either bulk or a typing that makes them the best checks imo. Moltres-G has great bulk and the Dark-type to deal with it, but it hates SR, Burn and repeated hits. Swellow and Obstagoon can absorb Status and use it for themselves. Swellow also has Scrappy Boomburst against Substitute sets. Umbreon has Heal Bell and Recovery, but it is ruined by Taunt.

Partners: :tapu-fini::tapu-bulu::infernape:
Fini, Bulu and Infernape all deal with Dark- and Normal-types. Bulu also takes care of Fini while Infernape has Grass Knot to dent it. Fini also provides status immunity for SubSets, Bulu provides more longevity for it and Infernape has a fast paste playing strategy and provides SR.

:ss/kyurem:
It is similar to Kyurem-W. The only difference that it is weaker. There isn't much different from it and its Fusion, so refer to it for more information and remove Groudon as a Partner.

Finally done with these. There are some mons that I still wanted to discuss and provide some sets to, but I need to eat something first, so this post will be edited later.

:aerodactyl: https://pokepast.es/8f6f584778c66812
:archeops: https://pokepast.es/29050e0f269cfc90
:copperajah: https://pokepast.es/161128e8b2b330ee
:dragalge: https://pokepast.es/69f9bf4eb25647a1
:excadrill: https://pokepast.es/9bfbb998b9b967fa
:florges: https://pokepast.es/461c50a53afa31ee
:hippowdon: https://pokepast.es/e0a721f75cf2c466
:infernape: https://pokepast.es/cc1f05984fedbcb7
:klefki:
:landorus-therian: https://pokepast.es/f2864456b28b4ab1
:latias: https://pokepast.es/f86c243b70ca2149
:moltres:
:moltres-galar:
:obstagoon:
:probopass:
:swellow:
:tapu-bulu:
:tapu-fini:
:venusaur:
:zarude:

Last edited:
yo yo! regi here with some sample sets.
while it MIGHT be a little late for them, here they are anyways. it'll be useful trust me. also comes with some nice tips

everyone is talking about how Excadrill is bad, and while sure i agree, i have a lure set for that!
:klefki:
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
this set, while beeing kinda bad, lets klefki lure in excadrill and use Magnet Rise on it, essentially making it immune to its Ground moves. though still beeing neutral to its Steel moves, wich you can switch out onto a pokemon that resists it (resitent fire pokemon Houndoom)
not only that, this also lets Klefki be the absolutely PERFECT counter for rillaboom! (i think), it resists both its grass moves, is immune to high horsepower, resists its rock moves, however sadly its still neutral to rillaboom's close combat, while it can STILL switch out into another pokemon. thats why its a lure set.
:boltund:
Boltund @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Thunder Fang
doesnt exactly accomplish anything, but its one of the only viable ways to use boltund. (its safer to use Thunder Fang over Wild Charge, as you get the strong jaw boost AND no recoil.)
:zarude-dada:
Zarude-Dada @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- U-turn
- Darkest Lariat
- Grassy Glide
(dont mind me using drip zarude over regular) here it is. it has Power Whip to ensure a KO on most weak mons. with Grassy Glide letting it outspeed potential team threats such as Inteleon. or uh, fini? i guess.. but still, it lets it make use of a good move only used on resitent priority spammer Rillaboom. it takes advantage of Tapu Bulu's usage with grassy glide

well thats not it quite yet!
:druddigon:
Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Gunk Shot
now thats it. Gunk Shot lets it hit fairies. glare lets it paralyze pokemon. stealth rock is right there for you, with dragon tail beeing a niche choice. you can always switch out Gunk Shot or Dragon Tail for something else.

well now, i dont have much competitive knowledge: but for all i know, these seets could be bad. but uh yeah take care (team: https://pokepast.es/cb4cac9906a576cd)

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Shower thoughts after playing a little bit.

:ss/groudon:
Breaking news: uber dinosaur is a broken mon. This mon has enough bulk to survive up to 5 weeks without drinking water and has exactly zero safe switch ins except for like 252/252+ def latias. It can do anything between sleeptalking on that +2 exca to sweeping with a double dance set. On top of that, it enables sun cores which i believe are currently the most broken thing in the tier since venusaur has exactly one check in latias (who has to be switching on your groundon and taking stone edges anyway). This needs to get out of here.

:ss/kyurem-white::ss/reshiram:
While those mon get kinda clapped by offense they literally invalidate the use of any defensive core that doesnt have a florges (or like fini + copperjaw?? but steels are bad anyway). They are soo restrictive and im getting tired of seeing florges everywhere since ppl dont play broken HOs rn apparently. Plus like one freeze and its all over: it gets a kill each time it can manage to get on the field. Also claps florges if you bring spikes. So yeah basic uber mons. Kyurem is the more pressing issue, reshiram is just like it but strictly worse since it cant go through fini at all.

:ss/spectrier:
Forces a dark-type in every team. Even if you carry a dark type (swellow is the new black) in your team it can manage to set up and win. I do not like this mon.

:ss/zarude:
Not banworthy but Zarude is really good. Nothing playable rn really likes taking a banded power whip/darkest lariat. I was struggling to see how bulu could fit in any sort of structure but now that i know that monkey go brrr yeah bulu has a place.

:ss/landorus:
Very on the fence about this one. With the abundance of landos and latias rn its kept in relative check but who knows.

:ss/dragalge:
Very fun mon, toxic spikes are really good + it claps defoggers and nothing really likes to switch on it. A really B mon but its cool and you should check it out.

Alright I can't really give original constructive criticism against the following pokemon I want banned because they're like the same ones everyone wants banned and having another person say "Groudon is broken" for the fifteenth time is excessive so I've decided to do
:ss/Groudon:
Groudon should be Groundone!

:ss/Kyurem-White:
Kyurem White ain't right

:ss/Reshiram:
Reshiram is now Reshidamned

:ss/Landorus:
Lando-I is gonna Lando-Cry

:ss/Spectrier:
Spectrier is going to the glue factory

Anyway the less obvious ones are regular ass Kyurem and the target of all smogon related bitching, Lando-T

:ss/Kyurem:
I agree with most people who want this thing gone in the sense that it's just generally scary for this meta which seems to have a lower power level than base OU. The big ice dragon should probably not interact.

:ss/landorus-therian:
Landorus Therian is one I'm more borderline on because again this meta seems to have a generally lower power level than regular OU which means Lando has more of an opportunity to dominate, but part of me kind of wants to at least see if it would be too good for this meta's OU. Worse comes to worse it's too good and it gets banned to OU after the first session of playtesting.

Also we should probably have a new DU tier that stands for Don't Use. The only mon in the tier is drampa because no one should use that fugly green abomination.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
:regice:
Regice @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Maybe Regice's standard PU set could see use in this meta? After a Rock Polish, Regice outspeeds the whole unboosted meta and 80 base Speed Scarfers, and it has a good matchup vs Special Dragon-types like Latias and Dragalge, while also benefitting from the lack of strong defensive Steel options. Though right now it overlaps with base Kyurem as an Ice attacker. If/After that gets banned, this Regice set might be better.

:ss/groudon: :ss/kyurem: (probably) :ss/kyurem-white: :ss/landorus: :ss/spectrier: :ss/reshiram: :ss/landorus-therian: (probably)
This is what I imagine the OU banlist to look like. These Pokemon are probably a bit too powerful, and while I inlcuded some choices like Kyurem and Landorus-T, I'm not sure how Random Dex Ubers will sprout up. An Ubers list that only includes 7 Pokemon will make it hard to balance some teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)