Project PU Tutoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cohosted by Dundies, OP by unfixable and Snaquaza, approved by Magnemite
Art by Eevee General
othernewsad2.png

Welcome to the PU Mentoring Program! This is a program being hosted by Megazard and Dundies, with the aid of Magnemite. This program aims to pair trusted, active members of our community who are what we consider the best of PU. These programs will last in increments of two weeks, with two days for each sign up thread. Our purpose is to get more people active in PU and raise new and prominent battlers from the dust, and we hope you can make friends as well! Our pairings will be selected by Dundies and I (Megazard), as we'll most likely know these mentors. We'll try and pair everyone up with their best fit!.

Each round will have phases of sign ups and actual mentoring. These phases will go as so:​
  • Step One - Sign Ups [Mentor]
    • This is the portion where anyone who would like to apply to be a mentor will post in the thread with their credentials. This portion lasts three days.
  • Step Two - Sign Ups [Mentees]
    • This is the portion where anyone who would like to be mentored will post with their request. Do note that not everyone will be able to get picked! Anyone not picked will receive priority in the following rounds. This portion lasts three days.
  • Step Three - Mentoring
    • This will be a two week long portion where the mentee and the mentor interact and... well, get mentored!
  • Step Four - Feedback
    • Lasting for 24 hours after the two weeks, all mentees are free to PM both Dundies and I with feedback on their mentor. It's not required, but it's highly recommended so that we can ensure our mentors are up to quality.
  • Step Five - Cooldown
    • This portion is just what it sounds like: the cooldown. After the three full weeks of each round, we'll need a cooldown; this cooldown lasts for 48 hours, then we reboot and begin again.
This thread will be for mentor and mentee signups. Mentors have to be users who are active, helpful, and intelligent. They have to have knowledge of the PU metagame, and they must not flake out. These users must be willing to complete the two weeks of mentoring and should be able to teach as well. The users we pick will have to be patient and respected as well. This mentor sign up thread will occur every round, and we'll keep the same mentors if they'd like to stay; however, we'll offer the chance for new mentors to be added every round following this one. In this thread, please post the following (this is not necessary for a council member):

Username:
Timezone:
Why you want to be a mentor:

The mentors we pick will be up to Dundies, and my own opinions, with potential input from one of our tier leaders. All unknown mentors will be given a "test" to ensure they know the tier and how to teach it. At first the positions will be open to currently beneficial and active members of the PU community, but this may open up to newcomers provided they know what they're doing. Dundies and I will pick with our own unbiased opinions and are looking for users who have demonstrated knowledge of the tier, patience, ability to teach, and kindness. There is no set amount of pairs, due to the unpredictable nature of this project they will be chosen based on how many mentor and mentee signups we get.

If you've read everything in this post and understand the rules and details, please feel free to now post your applications! If you have any questions regarding any part of this program, feel free to PM me or Dundies.

Last edited:
Well... I'm gonna try mentoring...

Username: rennyjesus
Timezone: -4:30 GMT (Caracas-Venezuela)
Why you want to be a mentor: I'm already teaching a Math and Chemistry course at one university and I've been told that I'm kinda good at teaching... Also, I love this meta (lower tiers are actually more creative than higher ones) and I feel that even if I haven't achieved any major thing besides expressing my opinions on a few of our threads, I can help a new player to get into the tier and be even better than me (That isn't that hard actually xD). Also, it can be good for players that use Spanish as their mother language (since it's also my mother language) or those that would also like to practice it.

Hoping that I'm gonna be properly tested and then acknowledged as a decent tutor, Truly Yours:
rennyjesus

Username: ExplosiveChaos
Timezone: UTC -8:00 (Pacific Time)
Why you want to be a mentor: In all honesty, I have been quite bored. There are threads here and there that I can reply to every couple days, editing and reediting the same line in my analysis to make them sound better, but the rest of the time I end up aimlessly building teams that I barely use. Am I a really amazing battler like Megazard or a really creative teambuilder (at least from what I saw from him) like Grim? Maybe not. But I still consider myself good at both of them, and it isn't like I don't have knowledge about the PU tier because I have been playing PU since around the end of the Mushurna meta. In addition, if this counts for anything, I already tutor people in PMs on Showdown! when they ask for it in chat (one example is ScarfedSylveonYT). All in all, I totally understand if I don't get chosen but I think that if given the chance, I can be a good tutor for new PU users.

Last edited:
uhh guys, unless you're a council member you have to actually follow the instructions of the thread, not just post "in". i thought this was obvious.

Reactions: MZ
Username: MaroGodd
Timezone: UTC +8:00 (AWST)
Why would I like to be a mentor? Pokemon battling is a passion at this point rather then a hobby. I try to help out in PU as much as i can it's a tier I've been a part of for a very long time and will continue to be a part of. this is something that is more of a milestone then just to past the time for me it may not seem big to others but I want to prove my worth as a community member as well as improve the overall capabilities of other players that would like my help. I personally have been taught (still am) from a variety of player such as 2xthetap, Dundies and most of all Tect and although im not on the same level as these guys they, and many others, have helped me come so far since the beginning and I want to help others how they have helped me.

Anyway love the idea of the whole mentor+tutor thread it should help out a whole lot

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Username: TONE114
Timezone: GMT-5
Why would I like to be a mentor: I've been playing PU for a while (since the Garbodor meta iirc) and I don't mind sharing what I know with newer players looking to get into the tier. I also have a very easygoing nature so newer people don't feel pressured right away to be good at battling or teambuilding right off the bat.

Username: Kingler12345
Timezone: GMT +5.5
Why you want to be a mentor: I've been playing PU for a while and can play this game. I kinda sorta know the meta and was on QC. Also 3-2 legend who was on winning pupl team haha. also i like helping people learn etc. :D :D :D pick me as mentor!!!

magnemite sucks

Last edited:
Username: HJAD
Timezone:
GMT +1
Why you want to be a mentor: Up and coming PU player with mucho experience in not only the PU meta but Pokémon as a competitive game. I know the ins and outs of mons and PU, being an official tutor too helps since my lessons will be thought out like a proper Tutor would thanks to this experience. My PU experience includes going 3-2 in PUPL, and making it to the semi-finals or finals of 3 PU Minitours on the forum, as well as success at the top of the PU ladder for an extended period of time (lol).

Last edited:
Username:Tect
Timezone:(GMT -5:00)
Why you want to be a mentor: Tbh, I do this with my spare time already. Tagging people I've mentored would take too long and many don't have smogon accounts or are transient users who come and go. Even some who have posted in this thread and applied for mentorship have admittedly benefitted from my knowledge and ability to convey said knowledge. I'm flooded with PM's on a daily basis asking for advice, team critiquing, and just general help. I would rather participate in a structured system where I can concentrate on one player at a time than sporadically help so many and have my attention divided, potentialy robbing users of a comprehensive learning experience. My chat presence speaks for itself and although I have been less than patient and kind in the past, I have turned these things around. I'll include a pastebin below demonstrating my ability to enlighten and guide a new player towards an overall better grasp of this meta and Pokemon as a whole.

"I make men of boys, and warriors of men."

http://pastebin.com/cdy4QWeW

Last edited:

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We've had a ton of signups (more outside of this thread) so I'm opening this up to mentee signups a few hours early. Due to the high amount of signups it's unlikely that everybody will get a chance to tutor but thanks for all the support!

Edit: normally mentors would be chosen at this stage but quite frankly we have no idea how many people to expect

Last edited:

MZ

We had a lot of people willing to tutor, sorry if you weren't able to do so this round. A lot of this was also restricted by the drought of tutors with a positive gmt :[. Also, future tutees should know that you can always request a specific tutor if you know someone in the program, that did come into play here.

Twix will be tutoring Rhythms
HJAD will be tutoring Realistic Waters
Detect Marowak will be tutoring R0ady
Magnemite will be tutoring Can-Eh-Dian
-Grim will be tutoring Valmanway
Kingler12345 will be tutoring Reisuke

Grim said they'd tutor outside of the thread if anybody's confused about that (or if grim is). Good luck! If there are any issues or a tutor just can't make it, please contact me ASAP

In as a tutee, please tutor me to be a notch above allstar124 at all times!
GMT+3

Oh yeah I've played NU for 2 years, I know the basics :3 ez tutee imo

P.S. the GXE in my signature is my PU GXE so please help me asap u_u

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)