Project PU Player of the Week 13: Kay

cryalot

senza telescopi
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Anty
OP stolen from Leer in RU, who took it from Lord Alphose and xzern in NU
Past Players of the Week: Magnemite, galbia, gasquakee, scorpdestroyer, Simipour, Anty, Raiza, 2xTheTap, TONE114, Megazard, Dundies, RawMelon

Welcome back with PU Player of the Week! This week thanks to my interception the community will be able to know something more about Sir Kay, also known as Kay on PS! Enjoy and feel free to leave questions.

Most Known For: Being that guy who uses Dustox
Favorite Pokemon: Gastrodon
Most Used Pokemon: Machoke​

Can you tell us a bit about yourself outside of PS?
Mmh right now there isn't much to tell about, but I have plans to go to med school and become a doctor so I guess that's something! Oh yeah I'm also a huge League of Legends dork n_n

Where did you get your name from?
Time go go back memory road. Back when I was about 9 years old I used to play this game called Runescape with my brothers. My oldest brother first started playing it and said we should too, and then he suggested we should all pick characters from King Arthur's round table. I obviously picked Sir Kay and seeing as I was 9 at the time, I just slapped a 9 at the end and that was that. Since coming on to here I've cut my name down from Sir Kay 9 to Sir Kay to now just Kay.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
My cousin actually got my into competitive Pokemon, we'd hack pokemon and play OU over wifi battles. One day he told me about Pokemon Showdown and I didn't really think much over it until about a year later when I wanted to start playing again but he'd lost interest. So I decided to go and try the website out myself about a year ago and here we are!

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
In PU I'm have to say stall even tho it's not exactly a strong play style atm. I really like how stall can let me use things that don't fit on other play styles and aren't really seen/used like Dustox, Dusclops, and even Sliggoo was something I've been messing around with.

Do you think Smogon gives you the possibility to make good friends? Can you tell us about your relationship with the Smogon and PU community?
Oh yeah for sure. I've met so many good people on this site and some of them I'll take away with me long after my time on this site is done (Looking at you Disjunction because I know you'll read this. It's a slippery slope my friend.) The PU room as always had some really awesome people in it which is why I'm so drawn to the community, everyone here is so friendly that it's really easy to make friends and be apart of the community.

What is your opinion on Machoke in this meta? If it came down to suspect Machoke, would you ban it because of Dynamic Punch?
Yes.

Can you tell us something about your experience in other tiers?
I'm mostly an NU player as a lot of people know, but I also play GSC OU which more people should play because it's a really awesome tier and I need more people to play with!

Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?
Mmh in no real order here are some really cool up-and-comers in the PU community I think he a bit of potential:
Sobi, Yosp, 5gen, and VeryPinkPancakes

What would you suggest to someone new to the tier?
Jump right in, don't be afraid to ask questions, and take our meta seriously because it's really cool!

If you could make one change to the tier (can be anything), what would it be?
Up the drop % needed to take things from NU. I want more drops :(

What kind of music do you listen to?
I'll just list the past 10 songs I've listen to to give you an idea. I have a really wide music taste
The Weekend - Cant Feel My Face (ELIAS REMIX)
Crimson Sun – Burned Away
Shannon Saunders - Atlas
Flobots - Handlebars
Omaha - Remember
Twenty One Pilots - Holding On To You
Hellberg - The Girl (Stonebank Remix)
Chinese Man - I Got That Tune (Tha Trickaz Remix)
The Revivalists - Criminal
Lacey Sturm - Roxanne (The Police Cover) OFFICIAL AUDIO

I'd say Twenty One Pilots and Lacey Sturm are my favorite artists tho

Can you provide a team that reflects you as a player, as well as the current metagame?
Yeah it's a bit out of date because I haven't made a new one for the Mawile drop, but this is my legendary Dustox team that I think is a good representation of myself as a player because it shows off some lesser used but still viable mons in teams that really show off their strengths.
Dustox @ Black Sludge
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Iron Defense
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Encore

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Roost

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roar
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Protect
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Last edited:
Well like me you have the optimal amount of characters for PS in your name which is 3, so if you add my 3 plus your 3 you get 6. You get a bonus point for being a cute user so: 7.

Reactions: nv
if cacturne or pinsir was dropped would you see a potential suspect for either? Also, what about re-suspecting carracosta?

also rate me plz

Mhh I could see Pinsir being fine here but Cacturne really scares me because of how powerful a wall breaker it is and that fact it can either go SD or mixed which makes it really hard to wall out.

You're getting a lot better and I see you posting around much which is also great so I rate you to be an improving user!
(I'm not going to seriously rank people on a scale of 1-10)

Reactions: nv
Rank me because apparently that is your thing :]

Also anything specifically from higher tiers that you would like to have in PU

I'd love to have lilligant from NU, I think it would be a really interesting drop to have and play around with

I just browse the net and save the stuff I find that looks cool, I don't really go to one site to get them

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
What are some of the most unorthodox mons you've used on Stall?

Anything in PU you think is overrated or underrated?

Hobbies?

Any mons in PU you think will rise within the new couple drops?

Uhh I'd have to give it to a slowpoke stall team I tried because it walled SD Monferno and took other hits like a champ. It didn't work great but it wasn't as terrible as I assumed it would.

I think Rotom-f is a lot scarier in team builder then in practice, I never saw Rotom-f and felt "oh no they have a rotom-f how am I going to deal with it." you mostly notice it when you have to switch into it, but like it's out sped by basically every other scarfer when you run it scarf, and if you don't run it scarf then it's just really slow.

League of Legends is actually a game I really enjoy, I've played for about 3 years now so it's something I quite like haha. Other then that I used to compete competitively in Tae Kwon Do which is something I don't really do now a days, but it's something I always plan to go back to in the future.

If I had to guess I'd say say Floatzel. It's actually really good in NU right now because of its speed tier being 1 higher then that of Tauros and Archeops, so it can come in and out speed a lot of the "speed demons" of NU. You basically have to revenge kill it with either Swellow or a scarf mon so there is a chance that might move up given how good it is there.

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Were you upset when dustox dropped back down to E Rank?

Speaking of Stall how do you feel about PP Stall Wailord

Other people are getting rates wheres mine?

Nah I wasn't upset. Ever since Mawile dropped stall has really suffered. What this means for Dustox is that not only is its main play style worse, but now there is a new top tier threat that now sets up on it. I think it's fine for it to drop given how the meta is right now but I hope when we ban Mawile there will be a meta in the future where it can go back to being decent.

It sucks

You have 12 letters in your name which is 9 over the ideal amount. So if you take that 9 and subtract 3 you'll end up with a 6. So you're like a solid 11.

Last edited:

dibs

double iron bashes
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What do you think is the best playstyle in PU at the moment?

Is there a mon you'd love to see get a mega evolution when Sun and Moon is released?

Also rate outa 8 I guess

I'd say offensive teams are the best way to go right now. They're the least exploitable to things like Mawile, NP Mime, and Machoke and have access to some serious wall breakers like Simisage and scarfers.

I'd like to see Mega Bastidon because it probably would be a mon that wouldn't move up to NU or break the tier.

Guys I'm seriously running out of cleaver ways to rate people. That said this is your 8th post, you said rate out of 8 as well. The two 8's added up equals 16.
16 divided by the number of times it's said which is two brings us back down to 8. So it's really easy to to tell that your rate is:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)