Resource Pokemon Home Update Adds Ability "Tradebacks" To SWSH

Well Latias was apart of DPP when it was gen. According to bulbapedia you could find it Roaming Kanto in HeartGold and Pewter City in SoulSilver aparently. While these new move combos require something from Gen 10 to accomplish.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
We all know the tiers are not actually locked though. The distinction between deleting an element and adding one is completely arbitrary. You guys even added Latias to DPP! Is there any real defense of this beyond "because we say so?"
These actions fall under regular tiering actions (that could, and arguably should, have been done during the current gen). I believe this is the distinction. It's the same as, for example, the sleep ban in BW. That was an instance where the community ultimately realized that was messed up.

Locked as far as cartridge legality (shiloh's use of locked) is distinct from locked as far as tiering actions (no tier as far as i know is in this state)

Well Latias was apart of DPP when it was gen. According to bulbapedia you could find it Roaming Kanto in HeartGold and Pewter City in SoulSilver aparently. While these new move combos require something from Gen 10 to accomplish.
(i presume) their point is: if you're willing to change the banlist (thus making the tier not locked), why would you not be willing to change a mechanic or add a new moveset legality that's discovered or becomes allowed after a generation's no longer current.

the tier lock argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny if tier changes can happen after, but tradebacks or potentially new interactions being discovered can't.

I think it's pretty obvious that adding an Uber to a tier that was locked for nearly a decade is substantively more disruptive than changing a few moveset legalities. Showdown is a Pokemon simulator (allegedly); we should be simulating the games first and foremost. Game changing, meta-warping mechanics changes like RBY body slam on normal types were implemented upon their discovery without much fuss. I'd argue it's actually more important to allow tradeback movesets because that's what is possible in the game. Suspecting things down like Latias is a player choice, Curse being possible on Scizor's moveset is just part of the actual real games now. Nintendo has in effect said that Gen 8 is not done yet, they could have chosen to force old moveset legalities upon import to Galar but they chose not to. There is no real reason to say moveset changes are some sacred cow that cannot be messed with when literally every other element is clearly unlocked after a generation ends.

Last edited:
tierlock? LOL. This literally requires you to go into a later game in the series to make these things possible. My Latias post was to simply say that it was actually apart of Gen 4. THESE NEW MOVE COMBOS ARE NOT! Its that simple, your not playing SwSh if you are using stuff that can only be obtained in later games. And don't you use Wish Chansey as a excuse because that was technically possible even it was only available in Gen 3.

As for RBY Body Slam and ADV Sleep Talk. Those were just corrections to the game they were never not going to be implemented.

Its that simple, your not playing SwSh if you are using stuff that can only be obtained in later games.
What, exactly, is the substantive difference between me importing something that's not available in Galar but available from Home, like Mew, and importing a moveset from a later game from Home. It is playing SwSh... because you're still playing SwSh. It is a distinction without difference. Your choice to view mechanics changes as "just corrections to the game" but not moveset changes as corrections is arbitrary. Movesets are mechanics, it makes absolutely no sense to treat them as anything else.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)