Resource Pokemon Home Update Adds Ability "Tradebacks" To SWSH

Hey! So, I'm not really an ROA guy, so pardon if this isn't the right way to post something like this, but I wanted to get the word out about some interesting additions that just happened and will be happening with Gen 8 thanks to Pokemon Home updates.

----

1694609636514.png

1694609645658.png

^ This is now 100% legal in SWSH!

Back in June of this year, Pokemon Home updated and caused something interesting. The update to interface with Pokemon SV led to a situation we haven’t seen in 23 years: backwards compatibility with old generations. Pokemon can be sent to and from SV to and the other SWSH titles barring LGPE with no issue.

Now, movesets aren't preserved when moving from game to game, if you move a Pokemon to one game it'll keep it's moveset in that game and get a new moveset for it's new home. This means something crazy like Garchomp learning Spikes in SV DOES NOT mean Spikes Garchomp in SWSH. Your moveset is still locked to your game.

However, some aspects do carry over. Back when the update in June happened, they added a move relearner that allows you to teach a Pokemon a move if it already knows it in a different game, provided it can learn the move by TM, egg move, or level up in the game you’re moving it to. This had some small legality implications in BDSP and SV; The missing BDSP egg moves like Boomburst Chatot got fixed, many genderless and male-only Pokemon regained their full movepools for LC play (I don't think showdown's implemented this yet), and SV Chansey got Heal Bell.

With this new update, something else akin to these minor additions has happened again. Back when the update dropped, a Pokemon's ability was stored locally on that game with its movepool. This was apparently a bug, and changed in the newest bank patch. What's important here is that SV is the first game in the series that allows you to change the ability of a Pokemon with a Hidden Ability. Back in SWSH, an ability patch was a one way street. Once it's on, it's on forever. Not anymore now!

What this means for Gen 8 players is that a number of previously illegal move + ability combos are now fully legal. Some of these seem like they'd be legitimately interesting options to try, so I wanted to make folks aware of the change. I haven't played any Gen 8 OU, but I can at least point at some kind of neat additions for you all to play with.

Again, I need to reiterate, the scope of what is impacted is far, far less than what RBY experienced with the advent of tradebacks in GSC. That said, it still introduces some notable Pokemon legality changes into the format after the gen’s concluded.

What’s newly available in Gen 8 OU Now?

Default abilities on Gen 7 VC movesets:
The most influential contender here by far is unlocking the first 251 Pokemon’s normal abilities for their VC movepools, provided they’re in both SWSH and SV. Pokemon from the VC releases of Gens 1-2 are forcibly given their hidden abilities upon transfer. Pokemon SV’s implementation of the ability patch allows us to change that. As a quick reminder: A Pokemon’s moveset through Gens 3-8 is kept on Pokemon SWSH. Transferring it to Pokemon SV will not wipe away these old transfer moves in SWSH.

Some of these could have legitimate competitive implications on various rule sets. Some things that stood out to me perusing what’s new included:
  • :Scizor: Curse is a near universal TM in Gen 2. If the Pokemon exists in Gen 2, it probably has access to Curse now. Brand new combos like Technician Curse (Non-Mega) Scizor are now fully legal.
  • :Clefable: Gen 7 Tutor Move + Gen 1/2 VC Move + Non-Hidden Ability combos are now legal. Clefable had access to Teleport + Magic Guard as is thanks to LGPE, but with the Gen 9 ability patch, Teleport + Magic Guard + Knock Off becomes legal as well.
  • :Articuno: Articuno actually gets access to its VC moves since they were all trapped behind Snow Cloak. Celebrate, my fellow Whirlwind Articuno fans.

Dream World Exclusive Moves / HA Locked events: This one is far less relevant because there were way less exclusive attacks distributed this way compared to two entire generations of funky TMs. Still, it’s worth bringing up since they exist. Nidoqueen can use Sucker Punch without Sheer Force. Mewtwo can Heal Pulse without Unnerve. Sableye can use… Octazooka without Prankster.

Potentially More New Legal Combos

One interesting thing about these home updates is that, for as long as there are Pokemon not yet in a future game with invertable hidden abilities, this is not the last time newly legal move + ability combos will be possible in SWSH. As Pokemon SV adds more Pokemon, more of these prior situations will unlock. As more games with the rest of the cast come out, tiny droplets of newly legal Pokemon will be let into the format if these are allowed, possibly for years to come.

A few notable future examples include:

• :Machamp: While Machamp is not currently in Pokemon SV, if it’s ever in a Pokemon game with access to the new ability patch in the future, the raw spectacle of Fissure No Guard Machamp will finally be a real thing in Gen 8 for any formats that allow OHKO moves and transfer moves. Go nuts, AG friends.
  • :Kubfu: Okay so, Kubfu isn't actually influenced by these particular changes, but I thought I'd mention it in this thread anyway. Kubfu is in a weird situation where it was never available at level 5 or lower, and was never allowed in LC at all as a result. Should an event or update to Pokemon SV or Pokemon Go or some other future game gives us a Kubfu at level 5 or under, it can actually be legal in LC formats.

To be upfront: I do not play any old gen formats. I have not played 6v6 singles in a long while. I am just a Pokemon movepool legality wonk who likes funny little movepool oddities, and I wanted to sound the alarm on a post-contemporaneous generation getting new content. Pardon if these examples aren't particularly relevant or interesting to invested players. Newly available Pokemon movesets can be used on cartridge today. Whenever this gets implemented, enjoy!

Last edited:

cyberacc

formerly Suckingmoreducks
Some of these could have legitimate competitive implications on various rule sets. Some things that stood out to me perusing what’s new included:

• :Clefable: Gen 7 Tutor Move + Gen 1/2 VC Move + Non-Hidden Ability combos are now legal. Clefable had access to Teleport + Magic Guard as is thanks to LGPE, but with the Gen 9 ability patch, Teleport + Magic Guard + Knock Off becomes legal as well.
Alright, seeing as this means Clefable now gets to use Softboiled alongside Wish and Teleport, I'll showcase a single three-mon core that showcases why tradebacks SS OU is going to be competitively void with these implementations:

Slowbro.
Torn T.
Wishportboiled Clef.

Tier devolves into mirrors of clefbrotorn doing fucking nothing to each other and no damage being dealt on either side.
You now have to pp stall wish PP to make progress making the complaints and stereotypes of SS actually real.

This will be horrid to deal with and will mean boots goes from a preferential ban to a mandatory one since SS is already pretty slow. This makes SS slower.

SS dosen't even have a proper council and adding this into the tier as is will make it incredibly un-fun to me and others that are acquainted with SS.

Is this an overreaction? Maybe. But this is something that the community in SS should be allowed to vote for or against and shouldn't be added haphazardly. If RBY gets to be played separately from tradebacks RBY it should be an option to consider for SS since just off of that single interaction it looks like this is an awful change.

Last edited:
Alright, seeing as this means Clefable now gets to use Softboiled alongside Wish and Teleport,
Not quite. Softboiled + Teleport is still illegal.
  • Softboiled requires an ADV tutor (Softboiled is a TM in Gen 1, but only Chansey and Mew get it.)
  • Teleport requires your Clefable either be from Gen 1 VC or LGPE.
That combo’s still illegal and home does nothing to change that. It also shouldn’t ever do anything to change that movesets are still bound to games. The only thing that can transfer over for now is that ability change from the Gen 9 Ability patch.

What’s new for Clefable is a handful of old move sets, but now they’re free from being forced to use unaware, like the earlier mentioned Knock Off + Teleport + Magic Guard. Gen 1 VC moves not requiring your HA is the largest change here since that’s always forced on them. It’s not the biggest impact since moves like Teleport were also available without an HA through LGPE transfer, but now you also have access to the normal Gen 7 pool of tutors and tms for your moveset.

I hope I’m not being too confusing on what exactly has changed. This Pokémon Home stuff does not get rid of all movepool illegalities ever or anything.

As for what to with it in terms of tiering actions or even implementing it into Gen 8, I have no horse in that race and I hope Gen 8 players can play with whatever they find the most fun.

My main concern is how little the new stuff actually changes the meta like yea clef now gets acess to tp+mg+ knock(despite bein a good mon already i dont think will make even better) while i think its cool i dont think thats enough to justify a unique tier like rby tradebacks its alot more impactful than just 1 mon getting a "new option". Curse scizor would suck bc its already slow,SD still better.And i dont think these tradeback changes should be implemented to the normal SS metagames because tradebacks is meant to be something special.

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick thoughts:

From what I understand, old gen tiers are locked in the sense that anything “new” that may get added for “backwards compatibility” (like RBY Tradebacks) is off the table. While taking tiering action like banning Boots or something (to use a relevant example) could be allowed, something like SS Tradebacks (for lack of a better word) wouldn’t be.

I think that’s tiering “law” but it’s also something that I agree with personally. That said, I’m not the end all be all authority on this.

shiloh this seems like it might be in your jurisdiction

free no guard fissure Machamp

Quick thoughts:

From what I understand, old gen tiers are locked in the sense that anything “new” that may get added for “backwards compatibility” (like RBY Tradebacks) is off the table. While taking tiering action like banning Boots or something (to use a relevant example) could be allowed, something like SS Tradebacks (for lack of a better word) wouldn’t be.

I think that’s tiering “law” but it’s also something that I agree with personally. That said, I’m not the end all be all authority on this.

shiloh this seems like it might be in your jurisdiction

free no guard fissure Machamp
Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasnt their some discussion earlier this year about legalising rby tradebacks though? (Not saying anything referring to that in specific, but just the general idea of suspecting backwards compatibity in an old gen)

Edit: forgot to mention the RBY TBs discussion quickly died off when everyone realised no one actually wanted it but the point still stands

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasnt their some discussion earlier this year about legalising rby tradebacks though? (Not saying anything referring to that in specific, but just the general idea of suspecting backwards compatibity in an old gen)
There was here:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/on-rby-tradebacks-all-tiers.3718590/

Ultimately a tradebacks suspect hasn’t happened yet, and I’m not sure if it will. shiloh hasn’t weighed in on the RBY thread so we’ve kind of hit an impasse there (shiloh if you’re reading this that isn’t a callout, I understand things get lost when you have tons of shit to do).

To link that to SS though, I feel like if RBY Tradebacks go through, then SS Tradebacks would too, since it seems what’s happening here is kind of a subset of what’s happening in RBY. With that said, I don’t think that it would necessarily work the other way around. As I said, SS Tradebacks is kind of a subset of RBY Tradebacks, so even if SS goes through that doesn’t mean RBY should since RBY is a much larger change (at least I think it is, I agree with TheMantyke that ability/move legality changes are less significant than straight up giving Pokémon new moves).

Do I think SS Tradebacks should get a test? Begrudgingly, yes, just like I begrudgingly support an RBY Tradebacks test. I personally think that these changes to old gens would kind of start you from square one at tiering and be bad from a historical sense. But would it be fair to give them a test? Probably (in my opinion). That said, I’m not the final authority on this. With my understanding of tiering “law” or whatever you want to call it, I don’t think SS Tradebacks are going to happen. But it’s ultimately a shiloh question I think.

There was here:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/on-rby-tradebacks-all-tiers.3718590/

Ultimately a tradebacks suspect hasn’t happened yet, and I’m not sure if it will. shiloh hasn’t weighed in on the RBY thread so we’ve kind of hit an impasse there (shiloh if you’re reading this that isn’t a callout, I understand things get lost when you have tons of shit to do).

To link that to SS though, I feel like if RBY Tradebacks go through, then SS Tradebacks would too, since it seems what’s happening here is kind of a subset of what’s happening in RBY. With that said, I don’t think that it would necessarily work the other way around. As I said, SS Tradebacks is kind of a subset of RBY Tradebacks, so even if SS goes through that doesn’t mean RBY should since RBY is a much larger change (at least I think it is, I agree with TheMantyke that ability/move legality changes are less significant than straight up giving Pokémon new moves).

Do I think SS Tradebacks should get a test? Begrudgingly, yes, just like I begrudgingly support an RBY Tradebacks test. I personally think that these changes to old gens would kind of start you from square one at tiering and be bad from a historical sense. But would it be fair to give them a test? Probably (in my opinion). That said, I’m not the final authority on this. With my understanding of tiering “law” or whatever you want to call it, I don’t think SS Tradebacks are going to happen. But it’s ultimately a shiloh question I think.
Yes I agree with what your saying, but I think it just comes down to if the SWSH community actually wants it to happen or not. I dont think the RBY community really wants or is clamoring for a TBs suspect anytime soon (as I said in my edit), so uh, yea :boi:

Edit: forgot to mention that the RBY community is very much quite seperate in its tiering processes and such from the rest of the old gens.

maybe this is not the thread for it, and i dont have much of a horse in this ss race in particular, i just think it's important to set right a precedent in case this happens with other metagames, but i think rby being no tradebacks should be an rby thing and not a every-old-gen thing. it seems to me that rby not doing tradebacks has to do with a decision unassociated with smogon that happened ages ago, and the meta, resources, and playerbase all evolved with tradebackless rby, so forcing a change this late into its tiering would be a big disruption. but for future precedent in other tiers, i strongly feel like tradebacks should be allowed. curse technician scizor and wish knock off magic guard clefable are now allowed in the sword & shield games, there's no good reason not to adhere to those changes! if i can use these sets in cartridge why should i not be able to do the same in pokemon showdown?

To be honest, when I first made a draft of this thread, it was actually something I intended to post in PR to start some discussion on tradeback policy. That draft was actually made at the start of June because I expected this to happen then with the Gen 9 Home update, only for the weird behavior Home took on for abilities for the June - September version to stymie that. I reframed it more as a notice as to what has happened since during that last update, we learned that BDSP got it's own post gen content. Boomburst Chatot, Foul Play Spiritomb, and some LC-relevant legality changes were discovered and implemented (The LC stuff no, since it's probably a huge headache to do) without much fanfare. These seemed to be minor changes on par with what BDSP got this summer, so I wasn't sure a full blown PR thread was appropriate anymore. Maybe it does warrent larger discussion though. I don't particularly have any weight in what Gen 8 enjoyers want to enjoy there, just wanted to let people know the option for future content is knocking on the door.

Last edited:
I'm a little scared that after looking at some discussion that happened on the smogon discord while I was asleep that I might not have made what exactly changed as clear as possible to folks who might not be as in touch of where some moves come from.. I tried to make an infographic explaining what exactly changed perhaps a bit more clearly. I'm hopeful it clears up a bit of some confusion since I saw some serious woe about teleport + softboiled clefable shifting through chats; that's not happening.

1694656347918.png

I'm a little scared that after looking at some discussion that happened on the smogon discord while I was asleep that I might not have made what exactly changed as clear as possible to folks who might not be as in touch of where some moves come from.. I tried to make an infographic explaining what exactly changed perhaps a bit more clearly. I'm hopeful it clears up a bit of some confusion since I saw some serious woe about teleport + softboiled clefable shifting through chats; that's not happening.

View attachment 551492
I think the problem is less about people not understanding what category of transfers is now allowed, and more about people just generally not knowing at all what category of combinations all of these are for specific move combos, including myself. It will be nearly impossible to map out for most people unless someone just makes a list of everything remotely notable for what is now allowed, although it's possible you already did that and nothing else of note is allowed (it doesn't seem like anything that huge is allowed anyways, but it would be nice to find out what the ruling on these types of changes were generally)

swinubfan44

formerly TeamCharm
I think the problem is less about people not understanding what category of transfers is now allowed, and more about people just generally not knowing at all what category of combinations all of these are for specific move combos, including myself. It will be nearly impossible to map out for most people unless someone just makes a list of everything remotely notable for what is now allowed, although it's possible you already did that and nothing else of note is allowed (it doesn't seem like anything that huge is allowed anyways, but it would be nice to find out what the ruling on these types of changes were generally)
I agree with BFM. BFM is great guy.

cyberacc

formerly Suckingmoreducks
Not quite. Softboiled + Teleport is still illegal.
  • Softboiled requires an ADV tutor (Softboiled is a TM in Gen 1, but only Chansey and Mew get it.)
  • Teleport requires your Clefable either be from Gen 1 VC or LGPE.
That combo’s still illegal and home does nothing to change that. It also shouldn’t ever do anything to change that movesets are still bound to games. The only thing that can transfer over for now is that ability change from the Gen 9 Ability patch.

What’s new for Clefable is a handful of old move sets, but now they’re free from being forced to use unaware, like the earlier mentioned Knock Off + Teleport + Magic Guard. Gen 1 VC moves not requiring your HA is the largest change here since that’s always forced on them. It’s not the biggest impact since moves like Teleport were also available without an HA through LGPE transfer, but now you also have access to the normal Gen 7 pool of tutors and tms for your moveset.

I hope I’m not being too confusing on what exactly has changed. This Pokémon Home stuff does not get rid of all movepool illegalities ever or anything.

As for what to with it in terms of tiering actions or even implementing it into Gen 8, I have no horse in that race and I hope Gen 8 players can play with whatever they find the most fun.
Then the concerns and worries I have are unfounded.
I still think cases like this should be handled with caution and a lot of testing; Suddenly tossing in a change like this and the big tiering issue that follows from that change should only really be done when SS has a proper council.
On top of this being added with Masters coming up soon I doubt the playerbase that is going to play SS in tour appreciates the wrench in the wheels, its' nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be but it's still a bit unwelcome on the whole.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor

View attachment 551492
so, in effect, what changed is that some move-ability incompatibilities no longer exist?

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
i guess i should also make my stance on this clear
- if there is precedent with other old gens where such changes didn't get incorporated (or did) we should probably follow them (over rby's precedent if needed)
- if there is not precedent, i would prefer no change (idt it matters whether the changes are large or small or 'good' or 'bad' tbqh) for the reason that (outside of tiering) idt metagames should be forced to change after cg end
- a ss ou tradebacks metagame would be nice, i don't really think it matters if it has any playerbase really but like maybe as something that happens sometimes as a roa roomtour or some small for fun tour. you could make a ss ou tradebacks seasonal or something and have that in the ss circuit but idrc either way about that

I think from a tiering perspective, a tier's components should just be locked at the end of a generation. Obviously stuff can still get banned, but nothing should actually change in terms of movesets and pokemon available besides a mechanic discovery. People say the RBY thing shouldn't matter, but tbh I think it's the same case. If rby tradebacks added 2 new moves to 3 random obscure Pokemon, we would be in the same boat. Like the argument is that it happened a long time ago, and it would affect a metagame that settled down long ago, but if SS came out 15 years ago, would we be having the same discussion about adding these new things in? I really don't think so. SS is already settled and in a good place imo, and it just feels like it isn't needed at all.

I am against allowing tradebacks I think its important to stick to the Gens identity and what is allowed without newer games. Thats the beauty I feel with old gens you can only use stuff specific to that gen and Tradebacks throw that out the window.

linking this post here as well:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/on-rby-tradebacks-all-tiers.3718590/#post-9794634

tldr: ss is considered locked as of when sv locked, so these new legailities are not considered legal. if someone wants to make a ss “post-gen” / “tradebacks” meta at some point that can be explored, but these changes will not being going into effect now.
We all know the tiers are not actually locked though. The distinction between deleting an element and adding one is completely arbitrary. You guys even added Latias to DPP! Is there any real defense of this beyond "because we say so?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)