Pokemon Elections

Which Of The Winners (And Loser) Would You Have Voted For?

• Greninja

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Arceus

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Mew

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Sylveon

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Simisear

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters
Vigoroth surprises me a little. Of all mid-evolutions it seems it'd be the one that'd be more popular than most.
Pawniard would surprise me, but then I remember the thing about Japan liking the cute guys over the cool guys.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I predicted Jynx to be between 200-300, I was right ^_^
Jynx came 243

Stuff I didn't expect:
212 Chansey (I thought it was way more popular)
212 Scolipeded (This thing ties with Chansey?? Back when it was first released, everyone thought it was abominable)
226 Slowbro
227 Alakazam (Seriously? I thought Alakazams are very popular)
229 Breloom (All these Smogon favorites seem to do badly apart from Greninja)
233 Seaking , Slurpuff (Why???)
235 Farfetched (Did way better than I thought)
242 Roserade (This mon is popular in the West. )
-------- 243 Jynx mark here , lol --------
243 Glalie (tie with Jynx) -- I thought mons with megas would be redeemed.
246 Delcatty
250 Butterfree (poor thing needs a mega)
254 Mismagius (I never knew this thing wasn't popular)
256 Nidoking (?????? I was even expecting it to be within top 100)
266 Aerodactyl (?????? Isn't this thing supposed to be popular?)
271 Rapidash , Axew (I thought people would like Axew due to the anime)
288 Ferrothorn (So much presence in VGC though)
299 Starmie (So Japanese people really don't like OU mons)
311 Abomasnow
325 Marowak
349 Kingdra
358 Gogoat (I thought this thing would be popular)
368 Floatzel (I thought thing thing was popular)
433 Cloyster (Guys, this thing was a beast in Gen 5)
452 Rattata tied with Raticate, lol.
462 Mr. Mime (This thing had an insane number of votes during Pokken. I legitimately thought it was popular)
511 Galvantula (This thing is popular in the West)
537 Golduck (WHAT??????)
541 Nidoqueen (WHAT??????)
546 Jellicent (NOOOOO!! My boy Jellicent!!!!!!)
552 Omastar
709 Graveller (The last of Gen 1)

Cresselia~~

Im on mobile so the picture is blurry but is Unown #172? Who likes Unown?

And Barbaracle being like #430 is absurd. From what I've heard and seen Barbaracle is one of the most hated pokemon. Its higher than Toxicroak!
Unown was regarded as fun to have because it provided a secret language for kids to write at school, so that the teachers didn't understand.
I did that when Gold and Silver first came out too. Writing in Unown was really popular in Asia as a whole.

And Barbaracle being like #430 is absurd. From what I've heard and seen Barbaracle is one of the most hated pokemon. Its higher than Toxicroak!
Yeah, I don't know what's up with barbaracle. I hate it with a passion. I'm sure there are some redeeming qualities that some people might like, but I don't know anyone who dosent hate it. Making people only choose their top choice definitely skewed the list results. If they hypothetically had everyone number the Pokemon from 1-722 we would have a much different list.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Making people only choose their top choice definitely skewed the list results. If they hypothetically had everyone number the Pokemon from 1-722 we would have a much different list.

Um... that was the point of the election. Choose your favorite Pokemon. Also I don't think a lot of people would sit down and list go through a list of over 700 and order them.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with barbaracle. I hate it with a passion. I'm sure there are some redeeming qualities that some people might like, but I don't know anyone who dosent hate it. Making people only choose their top choice definitely skewed the list results. If they hypothetically had everyone number the Pokemon from 1-722 we would have a much different list.

Barbaracle is the only 'Mon I hate and it's that high up? What the hell?

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
I find the Unown language thing actually interesting, although let's be honest here if you know the English alphabet you know the Unown one.
it's interesting sometimes to see reasons for why some of them are so popular.

Stuff that surprised me (I guess I'll compile this as I keep looking)

Stunfisk at #127 is also surprising, stunfisk seems like one of those Pokemon that's rather forgettable and you don't really have an opinion on
samurott at #123- Wasn't there a lot of backlash to samurott's design when it was released (at least in the West)? Did that same backlash not exist in Japan? I'm not complaining though, Samurott is awesome.
Caterpie #230(1?)- I'm gonna attribute this to nostalgia (it's the first Pokemon Ash ever caught in the anime and it's already established that the anime is way bigger over there)
Fraxure at #647(? I can never read these last numbers)- Isn't this really popular? I always thought that the Axew line was one of the more well-recieved ones
Ariados at #260
Tynamo at #313

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Stunfisk at #127 is also surprising, stunfisk seems like one of those Pokemon that's rather forgettable and you don't really have an opinion on
Samurott at #123- Wasn't there a lot of backlash to samurott's design when it was released (at least in the West)? Did that same backlash not exist in Japan? I'm not complaining though, Samurott is awesome.
Fraxure at #647(? I can never read these last numbers)- Isn't this really popular? I always thought that the Axew line was one of the more well-recieved ones.
Cilan's Stunfisk might have helped Stunfisk's popularity. As noted in the first few posts, a lot of the Pokemon prominently featured in the anime got a lot of votes.

Don't know what backlash Samurott got. It looks okay with the only complaints I can think of is 1. it's a sea lion who evolved from an otter and 2. its a mixed attacker leaning by a tiny bit more on the special attacker when its design and signature move will make you think its a Physical Attacker.

Fraxure is a mid evolution with the most remembered members being Axew (who is cute) and Haxorus (which looks fierce and cool). Fraxure is just there.

I find the Unown language thing actually interesting, although let's be honest here if you know the English alphabet you know the Unown one.

samurott at #123- Wasn't there a lot of backlash to samurott's design when it was released (at least in the West)? Did that same backlash not exist in Japan? I'm not complaining though, Samurott is awesome.
Caterpie #230(1?)- I'm gonna attribute this to nostalgia (it's the first Pokemon Ash ever caught in the anime and it's already established that the anime is way bigger over there)
Fraxure at #647(? I can never read these last numbers)- Isn't this really popular? I always thought that the Axew line was one of the more well-recieved ones
Ariados at #260
Tynamo at #313
I'm not surprised that Caterpie is that high up. I mean, Caterpie is a cutie pie.
...I'm sorry for that pun and any internal bleeding it may have caused.

Reactions: JES

Um... that was the point of the election. Choose your favorite Pokemon. Also I don't think a lot of people would sit down and list go through a list of over 700 and order them.
Haha, I just meant that having people vote solely on their favorite Pokemon and having people rank the Pokemon would create two very different lists. For example, let's just say everyone likes girafarig, but it's no ones favorite, and then there is barbaracle, who everyone hates, but a few people have it as their favorite, which causes barbaracle to be ranked higher than girafarig despite girafarig being immensely more popular. The whole ranking all 700+ Pokemon thing was just a theoretical idea. Very few people would actually do it, but it would create an actually accurate popularity list.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
108 I love Altaria, but I would have guessed for it to be way lower, like in the mid 200s at best.
154 I hate that pony dino...
247 Shpeal is so cute that when I saw it for the first time I had to catch it. No surprise here.
314? Terrakion is the worst ranked Legend somehow. I do not understand how any Non-Regi Legend got below 300, especially this guy...
365 The good news is that Rule 34 Cow did not make it in the top half. The bad news, it came very close.
386? I just want to say that I have a Tyamo that only knows Magnent Rise. I have no real comments on this placing.
407 Aron is bellow 400? Ether not enough kids know about Level 1 Sturdy + Endeavor, or to many have been 6-0ed by it.
482 Lord Helix being this low is a sign that this list should be thrown out and/or that Japan needs to be enlightened.
552? Evolved Lord Helix is even lower... Toss the list and enlighten Japan. Praise Helix!
670 I'm assuming the kids that would have voted for Taillow were salty about a Level 1 one KOing their Ghost at the time.
646 Not blaming people for not voting Wingull. They're so common in ORAS that when I caught a shiny one I named it Inevitable.
685 Sealeo doesn't deserve to be this low. :(
685 It didn't take long for me to find Simisear's pre-evolution. I just looked at the bottom.
702 Behold, the least popular Evolution Chain! Basculin! Congratulations, sucks to be you!

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Actually all three of the Regis made it into the Top 300, with Regirock, the least popular of the three, coming in at 249.
What really surprised me is Magcargo at 611, and Slugma at 617! It would have gotten so many more votes if people had seen how amazing its shiny form was.
Kangaskhan didn't make Top 100, but I think everyone who knows about its Mega has gotten sick of it by now. (It's everywhere in Battle Spot)

Cresselia~~

Ariados at #260
Tynamo at #313
I've always tried to tell Westerners that Stunfisk is indeed immensely popular in Japan.
Because it is flat and ugly, so it is ideal to be sit on, or even to step on.
Usually, it is an ugly character that fulfills such mockery.

Stunfisk merchandise sold extremely well, that's why Pokemon Center released Stunfisk merchandise one after another.

Actually all three of the Regis made it into the Top 300, with Regirock, the least popular of the three, coming in at 249.
They are Legendary Pokémon and they are actually pretty cool 'mons.
I've always tried to tell Westerners that Stunfisk is indeed immensely popular in Japan.

Stunfisk merchandise sold extremely well, that's why Pokemon Center released Stunfisk merchandise one after another.
Never ever underestimate the power of ethnocentrism, my friend.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Haha, I just meant that having people vote solely on their favorite Pokemon and having people rank the Pokemon would create two very different lists. For example, let's just say everyone likes girafarig, but it's no ones favorite, and then there is barbaracle, who everyone hates, but a few people have it as their favorite, which causes barbaracle to be ranked higher than girafarig despite girafarig being immensely more popular. The whole ranking all 700+ Pokemon thing was just a theoretical idea. Very few people would actually do it, but it would create an actually accurate popularity list.
Hmm, how about letting people choose their top 6 instead (it'll be like asking what is you team of favorites).

However I see several problems with this type of voting. Ignoring the confusion voting process that resulted in a batch of Pokemon who's Japanese name started with "A" getting a lot of votes earned or not, as you'll notice that still didn't stop a lot of Legendary Pokemon from getting a lot of the top spots (it's a wonder one isn't #1, though if this was Gen IV I'd take a bet Lucario might have been #1). Anyway honestly I think if you wanted more accurate results you really need to split the poll into three:

Legendaries poll
Starters (including Pikachu family) poll
Every Other Pokemon poll

Actually I'd personally break it up even more (Eeveelutions, Pikaclones, Fossils) but that may skew what they're looking for too much. Honestly if you want good results you need to have the Legendaries and Starters separated.

Also you can't say the Pokemon you'll give out will be based on the winner since in that case everyone will vote for the Pokemon they want to get instead of their favorite. Like the Pokemon given out has to be a decided thing before the voting starts, enticing people to vote but not skewing their personal favorite choice.

Simisear is being distributed in the Pokémon Centers across Japan to celebrate the fact that it lost the Pokémon Elections. Today, as the event started, we have got full details of this event. It is Level 5 with the Air Balloon and comes with the moves Work Up, Hone Claws, Power-up Punch and Giga Impact. Before now, it couldn't learn the move Work Up outside of Generation V. This event will be distributed in Pokémon Centers until July 15th 2016.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Simisear is being distributed in the Pokémon Centers across Japan to celebrate the fact that it lost the Pokémon Elections. Today, as the event started, we have got full details of this event. It is Level 5 with the Air Balloon and comes with the moves Work Up, Hone Claws, Power-up Punch and Giga Impact. Before now, it couldn't learn the move Work Up outside of Generation V. This event will be distributed in Pokémon Centers until July 15th 2016.
... Really? You have this perfect joke sitting right in front of you, the Pokemon that, by election, is considered the "worst" Pokemon. You decided to give it out as an Event, meaning you can do ANYTHING with it that you want. And you took this beautifully wrapped gift tied with ribbon... and threw it in the trash.

REALLY?! The only special thing about it is Work Up? Ooh, that's sure a reason to give it out as an event! You could have at least given it an Event Move (or any kind of Fire-type move. Here's an idea, how about instead of Giga Impact you give it Blast Burn), but nope. Here's a Simisear that was no better back in Gen V.

What's the point? Why bother? Like you could have even gone with people's opinion that its the worst by giving it a joke moveset (give it Splash or maybe even Water Sport). *Sigh* You know there's something disappointing about these elections, but it's no Simisear.

(Yes I copies and pasted this from the Event thread. But why should I make any effort when Pokemon Company didn't here?)

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable

Oh my goodness that is so cruel
I've always liked Stunfisk...

As far as Samurott goes I think people hated on the double mustache a lot and also the sea lion thing. It was one of those pokemon that seemed detached from the evolution line (Golem, Grovyle (who a lot of people love regardless,) Wartortle, etc.)- you could see the connection but it wasnt the best. People had high hopes after Dewott and Samurott didnt really fulfill them, I guess!

... Really? You have this perfect joke sitting right in front of you, the Pokemon that, by election, is considered the "worst" Pokemon. You decided to give it out as an Event, meaning you can do ANYTHING with it that you want. And you took this beautifully wrapped gift tied with ribbon... and threw it in the trash.

REALLY?! The only special thing about it is Work Up? Ooh, that's sure a reason to give it out as an event! You could have at least given it an Event Move (or any kind of Fire-type move. Here's an idea, how about instead of Giga Impact you give it Blast Burn), but nope. Here's a Simisear that was no better back in Gen V.

What's the point? Why bother? Like you could have even gone with people's opinion that its the worst by giving it a joke moveset (give it Splash or maybe even Water Sport). *Sigh* You know there's something disappointing about these elections, but it's no Simisear.

(Yes I copies and pasted this from the Event thread. But why should I make any effort when Pokemon Company didn't here?)
I think the reason for giving it mostly 'boosting' moves, was so it would boost its popularity. That's the best I could think of..

Wait is that what I see? Gallade number 1 and Ekans number 2 am I right? Really?

Looks like you're really getting worked up about it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)