Pokemon Elections

Which Of The Winners (And Loser) Would You Have Voted For?

• Greninja

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Arceus

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Mew

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Sylveon

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Simisear

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters
Like Greninja needed a potential move buff. Watch them give it Steam Eruption or something.

I really don't know why Arceus is so popular in Japan. The games didn't develop it AT ALL and its movie might be the worst one. Its design isn't fug but it's not exactly great either. Most of the poll was dominated by prominent Pokemon in the anime, so I guess its doing a good job of influencing Japanese fans.

In another world, Aerodactyl dominates and gets Head Smash / Brave Bird :(

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Cinema JP confirmed that the rest of the Pokemon rankings will be announced in the future.
But we don't know when.

Like Greninja needed a potential move buff. Watch them give it Steam Eruption or something.

I really don't know why Arceus is so popular in Japan. The games didn't develop it AT ALL and its movie might be the worst one. Its design isn't fug but it's not exactly great either. Most of the poll was dominated by prominent Pokemon in the anime, so I guess its doing a good job of influencing Japanese fans.
In another world, Aerodactyl dominates and gets Head Smash / Brave Bird :(
Mainly because Arceus is the "God".
A lot of jokes surround how Arceus is supposed to be the "God".

Last edited:
The data from this poll is completely useless. Not only are the results completely slewed in favor of rare event mons and legendary pokemon but even if it was not a poll with one option choice is really bad for determining which pokemon are more popular. Sure, Greninja may have the most people with it has its favorite while maybe the majority of people who don't think of it as their favorite dislike it. (picking on it just because it won, no other reason at all. I do actually like it a lot), however maybe I don't know Gengar (again random mon) has almost no one who thinks of it as their favorite, however maybe it is an extremely popular second favorite to people. Wouldn't it technically be more popular because more people over all like it? To even make a half way decent poll you'd have to let people vote for at least 5 different mons. Even then, it wouldn't be perfect.

Edit: I do have to say, that it does say at least something for the popularity (in general) of the none legendary mons that broke into the top 12 in Japan.

Simisear just seems so random. You'd think it would been like a cocoon pokemon or something. It will be interesting to see where Lumineon, a pokemon that many say is the most forgettable pokemon, ends up.

It's also interesting to see the difference between what's popular in Japan vs here in America. It's awesome to see them embrace pokemon that seen as cute and/or girly and see so many of them towards the top.

Honestly, I bet you those other Pokémon will also have 0 votes - or even under 10.
Even they have the sort of jokey, memey thing when voting for them. "Lol the cocoon Pokémon is my favourite, totally"; "I'll vote for this one because it's so forgettable. Irony!"
Simisear... doesn't have that going for it. It's in that awkward place of not enough positive about it, not enough negative about it; it's just... there.
... I think that sums up what I feel about quite a bit of Gen 5 actually. Simisear is just there. Roggenrola is just there. Druddigon is just there...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Honestly, I bet you those other Pokémon will also have 0 votes - or even under 10.
Even they have the sort of jokey, memey thing when voting for them. "Lol the cocoon Pokémon is my favourite, totally"; "I'll vote for this one because it's so forgettable. Irony!"
Simisear... doesn't have that going for it. It's in that awkward place of not enough positive about it, not enough negative about it; it's just... there.
... I think that sums up what I feel about quite a bit of Gen 5 actually. Simisear is just there. Roggenrola is just there. Druddigon is just there...
That's one thing I want to know. ONLY Simisear had 0 votes? Everything else got at least one? Including the other members of its group and their pre-evolutions? Including all the other easily forgettable Pokemon?

That's one thing I want to know. ONLY Simisear had 0 votes? Everything else got at least one? Including the other members of its group and their pre-evolutions? Including all the other easily forgettable Pokemon?
That's what's confusing me as well. Especially compared to Dorkly's... what, 3 million or something? This was only 500,000. Surely there's gotta be more than Simisear that'll have garnered 0 votes. Can't see a lot of people voting for Luxio or Graveler or Pignite or whatever.

Cresselia~~

I too, doubt that only Simisear had 0 votes.
Especially when so many middle Pokemon (those sandwiched between a pre-evo and a evo) are so forgettable.

Simisear's Japanese name is Baokki, and Ba is somewhere middle of the alphabets. So it's not like they chose the 0 vote Pokemon from the last alphabet or something.

If indeed Simisear's the only one with 0 votes, I'd be really surprised.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Simisear's Japanese name is Baokki, and Ba is somewhere middle of the alphabets. So it's not like they chose the 0 vote Pokemon from the last alphabet or something.
I was wondering if that what happened, Simisear being the Pokemon with 0 votes and last alphabetically ordered (which is still BS, just because a Pokemon is last alphabetically ordered doesn't mean its any less popular than the other Pokemon who got 0 votes).

I'm beginning to wonder if there was maybe a company vote where the Pokemon Company took all the 0 vote Pokemon and had staff members order them by which ones they like and Simisear was always left on the bottom. Considering how this whole voting process went I wouldn't be surprised if they did that.

Now more than ever the Event Simisear deserves to be given a Legendary Fire-type move or two.

Cresselia~~

I was wondering if that what happened, Simisear being the Pokemon with 0 votes and last alphabetically ordered (which is still BS, just because a Pokemon is last alphabetically ordered doesn't mean its any less popular than the other Pokemon who got 0 votes).

I'm beginning to wonder if there was maybe a company vote where the Pokemon Company took all the 0 vote Pokemon and had staff members order them by which ones they like and Simisear was always left on the bottom. Considering how this whole voting process went I wouldn't be surprised if they did that.

Now more than ever the Event Simisear deserves to be given a Legendary Fire-type move or two.
If that's the case, I wonder why they picked Simisear. What makes Simisear different from that Water monkey, whatever its name?
By the same logic, these 2 won't have much difference during the voting.
Grass monkey might have some popularity due to the BW anime though.

If that's the case, I wonder why they picked Simisear. What makes Simisear different from that Water monkey, whatever its name?
By the same logic, these 2 won't have much difference during the voting.
Grass monkey might have some popularity due to the BW anime though.
Simipour still has a different aesthetic. That aesthetic might just win someone over more than Simisear.
... kinda wanna meet that one person.

Cresselia~~

Simipour still has a different aesthetic. That aesthetic might just win someone over more than Simisear.
I hope they'd announce how many votes each Pokemon got on Thursday. But I guess not. I think we are only getting an order list.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

I hate to be "that guy", but it could be because Simisear looks a bit, well...

Before anyone says anything, I'm not homophobic and I fully support gay rights... but I've heard a few things about Japan not being so nice to homosexuals.

If we were to believe each of the Elemental Monkey's represent a subculture theory, Simisear's appearance brings to mind someone who's at the very least flamboyant. It's pose of the limp wrists, the boa-like neck ruff, and it being a Fire-type ("flaming"). Meanwhile Simipour is harder to tack down. I've seen suggestions of hippies, 1920's flapper, or just in general female-looking. This could could very well be the defining factors between the two, Simipour may be more appealing to either girls or guys who don't like Simisear's flamboyant appearance.

But what about Simisear compared to other Pokemon? Could this flamboyant appearance really drive it that far down to 0 votes? Possibly, especially if multiple Pokemon got 0 votes and they did an in-company vote. Staff's opinion on a Pokemon are possibly very different than the common voters, they may prefer a more general design or a design that matches what's popular now either cause that's their preference of marketing reasons. This leaves Simisear out though many middle evolutions and Pokemon with considerd bland designs in.

Edit: Okay, so this theory holds no water.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

I hate to be "that guy", but it could be because Simisear looks a bit, well...

Before anyone says anything, I'm not homophobic and I fully support gay rights... but I've heard a few things about Japan not being so nice to homosexuals.

If we were to believe each of the Elemental Monkey's represent a subculture theory, Simisear's appearance brings to mind someone who's at the very least flamboyant. It's pose of the limp wrists, the boa-like neck ruff, and it being a Fire-type ("flaming"). Meanwhile Simipour is harder to tack down. I've seen suggestions of hippies, 1920's flapper, or just in general female-looking. This could could very well be the defining factors between the two, Simipour may be more appealing to either girls or guys who don't like Simisear's flamboyant appearance.

But what about Simisear compared to other Pokemon? Could this flamboyant appearance really drive it that far down to 0 votes? Possibly, especially if multiple Pokemon got 0 votes and they did an in-company vote. Staff's opinion on a Pokemon are possibly very different than the common voters, they may prefer a more general design or a design that matches what's popular now either cause that's their preference of marketing reasons. This leaves Simisear out though many middle evolutions and Pokemon with considerd bland designs in.
I never did draw that association. Never thought those monkeys looked gay or anything.

Japan doesn't oppose homosexuals. I don't know where you get that idea from. Quite a few Japanese historical figures were gay, and there are absolutely no religious taboo on homosexuals.

I find it difficult to understand how Americans say that Japanese people are bad to gays, when USA is a Christian orientated country.

I never did draw that association. Never thought those monkeys looked gay or anything.

Japan doesn't oppose homosexuals. I don't know where you get that idea from. Quite a few Japanese historical figures were gay, and there are absolutely no religious taboo on homosexuals.

I find it difficult to understand how Americans say that Japanese people are bad to gays, when USA is a Christian orientated country.
Well it's not exactly like Americans are saying American people are good to homosexuality either

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)