Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

First, note "Sucker Punch" is called "Surprise Attack" in Japan. It has nothing to do with punching (and isn't considered a punching move), it was translated into "Sucker Punch" as that's an English term for hitting someone when they're not paying attention.

So, in that regard, as long as the Pokemon can deceive the opponent and then attack in someway they can get Sucker Punch. Infact Applin and Pincurchin would would be good Sucker Punchers/Surprise Attackers as they're unassuming appearance would make the target let their guard down.
This explains why Hitmonchan and Machamp cannot learn Sucker Punch. They're too honorable of an athlete to break the rules and attack the opponent by surprise.

This explains why Hitmonchan and Machamp cannot learn Sucker Punch. They're too honorable of an athlete to break the rules and attack the opponent by surprise.
Hitmonlee and Hitmontop can learn it, hilariously. Also it doesn't get boosted by Iron Fist because it's Japanese name has nothing to do with punching as well(While Meteor Mash does because it was called Comet Punch in Japanese, but that name was already being used in the English games for a different punching move).

Why doesn't Milcery & Alcremie get Milk Drink? Yeah, it gets Recover, but flavor wise (pardon the pun) wouldn't Milk Drink make more sense to have for the Pokemon made of the stuff?
I think the idea they want to stick to is "it produces the milk and you drink that" and not "you are drinking the pokemon". So although Milcery is milky & could probably get the move easily for flavor, they probably went "please do not drink the pokemon, please don't do that"

I think the idea they want to stick to is "it produces the milk and you drink that" and not "you are drinking the pokemon". So although Milcery is milky & could probably get the move easily for flavor, they probably went "please do not drink the pokemon, please don't do that"
...then proceed you to make you eat meat sandwitches in the next game anyway, and that meat has to come from somewhere :psynervous:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
they probably went "please do not drink the pokemon, please don't do that"
Look I'm just gonna say there's a difference between eating a dead, cooked cow and taking a bite out of an alive cow

Even the sausages? They are generally made of Tepig/Spoink/Swinub/Mankey/Lechonk/any pig-like Pokémon, right?
A sausage can be any kind of meat, all a sausage is is an edible casing (usually made from animal intestine) stuffs tightly with chopped meat.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Is Ditto edible jelly? If yes, how much of it is edible? :smogthink:
Well my thought is the following:

1. So say if Ditto got a piece of itself cut off when Transformed into another Pokemon, what happens to the now separate pieces? First of all, is Ditto "okay"? Like, I'd imagine the "main" piece would just turn back into Ditto if too much damage is obtained. But what about the severed piece? Does it too turn back into Ditto slime (and thus join back with the whole, if that's possible with Ditto)? Or does it stay in whatever form it transformed into. If the former, well that ends that thought, BUT if the latter:

2. So what's considered the "main" part of the transformed Ditto? The head? The biggest "piece"? Combination of the two? How much "damage" could Ditto take before transforming back? What is the cost to Ditto who seemingly gains & loses mass magically, is it just energy level so it'll need to rest before Transforming again?

And from here the questions get grisly but I think I got my point across.

Why does Forretress get so many Electric type moves? I get the canons = Zap Canon, but where do Volt Switch and Thunder Wave come into play? Does Forretress have a secret electricity generating organ? Bug/Electric levitating fortress when?

Plus a new Ability that's cutting move's version of Iron Fist, PLUS it access to the new Water-type Slash; Gallade fans are eating pretty good this Gen. Not sure how this will translate to competitive, but in a casual use it's very much appreciated.
It still sadly suffers from a lot of issues that prevents it from seeing VGC usage (frail, average speed tier, vulnerable to both fake out and intimidate), or even OU (cough cough powercreep), but hey, lower tier enthusiasts will likely finally have a strong Gallade to play with.

Funnily, I wonder how it will compared with MegaGallade now in NatDex. Mega Gallade is way faster (and also benefitted from expanded movepool) but Gallade now has a lot of damage.
Maybe I'll check natdexUU in a few weeks after they're done with the fiesta that's happening right now (the day of Kartana, Zamazenta and a bunch of other stuff in a UU tier, what a gen)

It still sadly suffers from a lot of issues that prevents it from seeing VGC usage (frail, average speed tier, vulnerable to both fake out and intimidate), or even OU (cough cough powercreep), but hey, lower tier enthusiasts will likely finally have a strong Gallade to play with.

Funnily, I wonder how it will compared with MegaGallade now in NatDex. Mega Gallade is way faster (and also benefitted from expanded movepool) but Gallade now has a lot of damage.
Maybe I'll check natdexUU in a few weeks after they're done with the fiesta that's happening right now (the day of Kartana, Zamazenta and a bunch of other stuff in a UU tier, what a gen)
It also sees some use in Monotype at present. Ghost is really strong right now, and Gallade can put more damage into it than a lot of other (scarf) Fighting-types thanks to Sharpness-boosted Night Slash. Natdex Monotype might also be worth checking for the Gallade v Gallade-Mega comparison as a result.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, in addition to "Slicing" now being a new "Usage Method" (as Bulbapedia puts it), "Wind" is also. This is because there's two new Abilities which use Wind-based moves, and the usual suspects are on the list (Gust, Hurricane, Fairy Wind, Icy Wind, Whirlwind, Heat Wave, etc.). However, there's one noticeable one missing: Ominous Wind. Well, turns out, Ominous Wind was a Move that was cut in Sword & Shield. EXCEPT it was brought back in Legends: Arceus. I wondered why, but then I remembered that Legends: Arceus used the Drifloon family as a common enemy during nighttime.

"Alright, makes sense, no Drifloon family, no need for Ominous Wind I guess".

Except, the Drifloon family IS IN SCARLET AND VIOLET! Infact, they're also in Sword & Shield! They're not as notable as they are in Legends: Arceus, but still they're in the games so why cut Ominous Wind? While it was never a official Signature Move, it was pretty much linked to the Drifloon family; infact it not being a Signature Move meant it made for a decent inbetween until you got Shadow Ball if you wanted a Special Ghost-type move.

But that's when another realization came: if the Dirfloon family are in the game, why didn't THEY get any of the new Wind-based Abilities? Well, let's look at them. One makes sense why, Wind Power, which is a Signature Ability for a new Electric Bird which makes its Electric moves more powerful when hit by a Wind move. Oddly specific, GF feel like you may want to expand on that one a bit, but whatever, not something Drifloon family will get. But the second Ability: Wind Rider. If hit with a Wind move or in a Tailwind, this Pokemon doesn't get damaged and increased Attack by +1 stage. The Pokemon which has Wind Rider? A GHOST/Grass-type!

Seriously? "Oh, well it increases Attack so it wouldn't be that useful on Drifloon family". They could have also made it raise its Special Attack, Speed, or something (could have just made the next attack it does do increased damage). In addition, that new Ghost/Grass (not gonna say what it is cause it's kind of amazing they did it) isn't really that great of a Physical Attacker. It feels like it has a bit of that "Pyroar Design Syndrome" where the Stat team decided it was a Physical Attacker but the Movepool team decided it was a Special Attacker. So it's all the more frustrating that this Ability which the Drifloon family should have access to not only it doesn't but doesn't really help the Pokemon it's the Signature Ability for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)