Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Onix looks like a joke, and it historically is one. However, it still manages to be interesting due to its speed tier. 70 puts it as the second fastest rock, and with a Thunder Wave immunity, it's actually pretty hard to slow Onix down once paralysis is on the field. This synergizes with Bind, acting as an offensive tool (chip damage in a game without Leftovers), defensive tool (they can't attack if you're faster) and support tool (you can use the attack denial for free switches) in one package. Fun fact: in RBY's development, it was originally going to get Glare which would've further worked with this role as a mon revolving around paralysis control.
Darn! I already like using the rock snake in Little Cup, and Glare, a move almost exclusive to snake-like Pokémon, would have made it one of my all-time favorites!

Speaking of Glare, there are precisely two Pokémon as of SwSh who can learn it despite not being snake-shaped, and only by breeding: Druddigon and Helioptile. According to Bulbapedia, this is an allusion to the basilisk and other Western reptiles with petrifying powers.
(That said... why is the move Normal-type?)

Attachments

Last edited:
(That said... why is the move Normal-type?)
Because it's literally a glare.

If Leer is normal type, I don't see the issue with Glare also being normal type.

"shock induced paralysis" is off electric attacks.
"poison induced paralysis" is off grass type attack (aka Stun Spore)
and glare is a "fear induced paralysis" so works fine as normal type attack. Could tecnically be dark too, but since it's a status move, not like it matters.

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wouldn't call it funny, because I think there's sense to it. Each of the lake guardians has a move that causes themselves to faint. Azelf as the offensive one has Explosion, Uxie the defensive one has Memento, and Mesprit has Healing Wish.
Still a bit off flavor-wise imo. Had the trio been introduced a gen later Azelf would probably get the rather more graceful Final Gambit.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Yanmega's PokeDex entries say it bites prey apart. This makes sense given it's a dragonfly (although why they make it a Special attacker is beyond me).

So, it makes sense that Bug Bite would be part of its arsenal.

So how does it learn this move of using its bug-based powers to bite foes apart?

It has to be reminded how to do that from a human via Move Reminder.

I... just don't get why Ampharos never learnt Tail Glow. Just... why ? It's an amazing boosting move that perfectly suit Ampharos and it would've allowed it to become minimum viable, and maybe its mega could've got a place in UU.

I... just don't get why Ampharos never learnt Tail Glow. Just... why ? It's an amazing boosting move that perfectly suit Ampharos and it would've allowed it to become minimum viable, and maybe its mega could've got a place in UU.
Presumably because the name is misleading.

"Tail"glow isnt actually related to a tail.
It's related to biolumiscence, as the actual original name is more like "Firefly light". The 3 pokemon that learn it are respectively a firefly (Volbeat), Manaphy which is based on whatever this thing is and is apparently capable of bioluminescence, and a... christmas tree decoration (Xurkitree) or rather electric cable.

Ampharos can light its tail but it has nothing to do with what the move is based on, so unfortunately despite the misleading name, it can't learn it.

(It's a similar case of Sucker Punch's misleading name which has actually nothing to do with a Punch hence why Hitmonchan for example doesn't learn it)

In French, Sucker Punch is called "Coup bas" that could be translated to "Low blow" an attack which is not really fair/kind ... But in "Coup bas" there is "coup" which also linked to "coup de poing" aka "punch" ...

In French, Sucker Punch is called "Coup bas" that could be translated to "Low blow" an attack which is not really fair/kind ... But in "Coup bas" there is "coup" which also linked to "coup de poing" aka "punch" ...
The italian name, "Sbigoattacco", which also sounds awful, essentially translates to "attack that starles you", which is more appropriate with what the move represents (a swift, unfair hit on a distracted opponent)

What makes the English name even more hilarious is that while Hitmonchan cannot learn it, both Hitmonlee and Hitmontop can via the Gen IV Move Tutor.
I remember seeing someone joke that the reason why Hitmonchan doesn't learn Sucker Punch is because you'd expect it to punch, so it wouldn't be a surprise attack.

EDIT: Also, this reminds me, the reason why the Italian and Spanish translations of early Pokémon games were so botched was because the translators were given a list of words from the English translation out-of-context.

Now this makes me want to see a Pokemon or Ability for one that functions like an Eject Button for Dark Type moves, forcing the opponent out if they hit the Pokemon with one. Flavor idea would be the equivalent of a Referee penalizing or benching a player for unsportsmanlike or cheating actions in a game. Comes to mind because I do think Dark Type moves and Pokemon generally reflect the "Evil" or at least underhanded concept for it well, there's surprisingly little for abilities that interact with Dark Types along that concept. Justified is basically coming down harder on dirty play, and Rattled I guess is up to the cheating tricks psyching out and freaking out the recipient.

There's also a part of me that wonders if some of those moves are given to a Pokemon (especially through remote means like Tutors or TMs vs Egg or Natural Learnset) just because, or if they have a flavor purpose. Clefairy and Clefable for example talk about them being elusive, having acute hearing, or being popular as pets. Is their access to Knock Off via move tutors supposed to reflect on this in some way, like knocking things over or away to distract people while they run and hide? The closest I could think of is the idea of them stealing things unseen like Borrowers or Gremlins, particularly after the Gen 1 episode where they pilfer stuff to make a Rocket. They don't have access to Thief but they can learn the move Trick, so is the idea to snatch it without the opponent noticing or while distracted, rather than openly pilfering it.

Now this makes me want to see a Pokemon or Ability for one that functions like an Eject Button for Dark Type moves, forcing the opponent out if they hit the Pokemon with one.
Sadly an ability like that would be extremely broken. Forcing the opponent out is a effect that's usually reserved for moves with big downsides (generally, forcing you last + either doing no damage or having immunities against them), or for a single use consumable item.
Having it with no opportunity cost would be unironically gamebreaking.

In general, abilities that negate interaction are very very strong, even on shit pokemon. You can even see it on something as simple as Mimikyu where they ended up nerfing its ability because the interaction with Focus Sash meant it basically was guaranteed to survive at very least 2 turns (or in VGC, at least a turn) which was *massive* even for a otherwise average-statted mon like it.

Reminds me of in Temtem, where Nagaise had a trait (ability) that's basically a free Trick Room. Originally it functioned as long as Nagaise was active á la the ORAS weathers, then they nerfed it so it only lasted four turns... then they nerfed it again less than a year later to halve its HP when it first enters the battle. Temtem is all double battles, and Trick Room is more common in doubles as well, so now I'm wondering if the reason why it's so inconvenient to set up is to prevent it from becoming overpowered.

abilities that negate interaction are very very strong
See also: Shedinja.

Reminds me of in Temtem, where Nagaise had a trait (ability) that's basically a free Trick Room. Originally it functioned as long as Nagaise was active á la the ORAS weathers, then they nerfed it so it only lasted four turns... then they nerfed it again less than a year later to halve its HP when it first enters the battle. Temtem is all double battles, and Trick Room is more common in doubles as well, so now I'm wondering if the reason why it's so inconvenient to set up is to prevent it from becoming overpowered.
A pretty adept case cause a lot of people sometimes ask for a "Auto-trickroom ability" because "there's weather and terrain abilities, why not a trick room one", and don't realize how insane it is to completely flip the turn order by just hitting the field.

Why do so many birds get Tangled Feet (Japanese: Tottering Steps)?

Mr. Rime? Makes sense, it's Charlie Chaplin.

Spinda? Makes sense, it's Spinda.

Pidgeot? Dodrio? Chatot? I don't get it. I'd maybe get it if Ducklett or Delibird got it — ducks and penguins are pretty well known for walking funny — but small birds like Pidgey hop, big birds like Dodrio book it, and I don't really know how parrots like Chatot and raptors like Pidgeot walk but if it's not silly enough to be iconic like penguins waddling, it's probably not silly enough to warrant Tangled Feet.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

Pidgeot? Dodrio? Chatot? I don't get it. I'd maybe get it if Ducklett or Delibird got it — ducks and penguins are pretty well known for walking funny — but small birds like Pidgey hop, big birds like Dodrio book it, and I don't really know how parrots like Chatot and raptors like Pidgeot walk but if it's not silly enough to be iconic like penguins waddling, it's probably not silly enough to warrant Tangled Feet.
Chatot always feels like it's had that "silly quality" that gimmick-y Pokemon such as Spinda have. Idk how to explain that better except to say that even though I don't think Chatot's particularly comical, GF seem to view it as a comical species so it's enough to get Tangled Feet, which is as situational and gimmicky as it gets.

It ties into what someone (can't remember who or where) said a few days ago about the gradual lessening of shit gimmick Pokemon that aren't powerful don't have much of a niche. In Gen IV there were still a lot of gimmick Pokemon that were trashy. I feel like if Chatot had debuted in Gen VII or VIII it would fully embrace the sound gimmick and have an ability that boosts Sound moves or ignores immunities to them or something. But as it is they slapped Tanged Feet on it.

Idk why the Pidgey line got it though when they've always been characterised as a fairly proud, elegant, dignified sort of species (although Pidgeot's battle animations in PBR certainly lend credence to Tangled Feet being a good fit).

Apparently Me First can be used while holding an Assault Vest, despite being a status move. I'd say it's because it can never call status moves, unlike similar moves like Metronome or Mirror Move, but Nature Power hasn't been able to call status moves since Gen 3 and it's still unusable with Assault Vest.

I've always thought that Dodrio gets Tangled Feet because it has three heads and only one set of feet. Those three heads may want to walk in different directions which may cause its feet to be tangled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)