Project Player Interview #7: Here comes team Charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
art by Brumirage
1606332693711.png

1v1 Player Interviews
#1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6
#7 Here comes team Charm!
Favorite Pokemon: :torterra:
Most used Pokemon: :crustle:
Most known for: Winning the recent 1v1 Summer Seasonal and their strong ladder presence.​
1590782579302.v1.png

A big welcome to the latest guest, Here comes team Charm! I know it's been a bit of a while since the seasonal win, but when haven't I been fashionably late- So, how are things? irl, online, in 1v1, whichever you feel comfortable talking about.​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

Thanks for interviewing me! I'm happy to say things are going pretty well both irl and online: I've been getting to know lots of people in the 1v1 community better. Irl I'm in the third and final year of my bachelor's degree, which is going quite well so far. The past few weeks have been a bit busy but that's fortunately improving as well.
1590782579302.v1.png

Nice nice! Glad to hear things are going well. Now, getting started, let's take it back to where it all started. First Pokemon game? Any history with competitive? How'd you end up on Showdown, etc.​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

I think my first contact with pokemon was actually through the TGC (and seeing other people play the games). I must've played my first game (Diamond, iirc) when I was around 10, and I played a bunch of other games in the following years (Platinum, BW, BW2, Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky). I kind of lost interest in the games as I got older, but picked it back up when I was about sixteen.

I discovered showdown when I was 17-18, mostly through Elo Bandit's videos. I played randbats for a while before getting interested in 1v1, though I didn't make a smogon account or join any discords for quite a while. For the longest time I just tried random stuff on the ladder, though I eventually figured out what did and didn't work (sets compendiums helped a lot there).
1590782579302.v1.png

Oh wow, another person joining through Elo, nice to see. And yeah I coulda swore I saw you long before your register dates on PS and Smogon stated, makes sense. I'd definitely be in the same boat, also having taken a while before registering stuff. Moving on, let's talk about your seasonal win! Congratulations again! How was the experience, from start to finish? Did this one feel any different from the other individuals you'd played in?​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

Compared to other individuals (mostly thinking of multi-gen here) I think I was more confident because of the loser's bracket. Knowing that a single bad series wouldn't immediately cost me everything really helped me stay focused, and I felt like I had a shot at winning where I didn't necessarily consider that likely in earlier tournaments. That said, some of the individual series (especially those versus pqs and wail) had me extremely nervous.
1590782579302.v1.png

Understandable, always scary to go up against a big name. With some of the later games (finals, semis, etc), did the atmosphere feel any different from the earlier rounds? Since naturally there was a lot more focus on those series.​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

Definitely, from around round 10 a lot more people were spectating, and it was also around that time that people started to seriously consider me a contender I think (Nalei and XSC getting eliminated round 9 can't have hurt there). It also helped that my opponents were bigger names (compared to the relatively unknown players I fought before that), so that's bound to attract more attention as well.
1590782579302.v1.png

For sure, hopefully you didn't get too nervous! Anyhow, as someone with their fair share of ladder games played, how would you say tour series played in the usual "Best of X" format vary from the way that ladder games are played? Different? Similar? Somewhere in between?​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

The obvious answer is that tour games demand consistency in a way that ladder doesn't: winning two out of three battles is great on ladder but hardly enough to get far in a tournament. That said, there's also great differences between individual games: ladder has a very different approach to the meta, and at times it can look like a different game. At the end of the day it's still 1v1, but I definitely have to deal with things (scarf ditto, level 1 togedemaru, hypnohex gengar) that I don't think I'll see in tournaments any time soon.
1590782579302.v1.png

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Doubling back to seasonal for a moment, throughout the duration of your seasonal run, would you say there's any one particular team that carried you? Or did you bring unique teams for each series?​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

I've used a few teams multiple times, but I don't think any single team in particular was crucial to my success. I mostly went with teams that I already knew were solid, and the teams I made before specific series were meant to be usable outside of those, too.
1590782579302.v1.png

Fair enough. Now, one thing I was personally very curious about: How did the tournament being locked to pre-DLC impact you, if at all? Was it weird seeing the whole metagame enter a new phase while you still had to use pre-DLC teams for the tournament?​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

I was really glad to see the tournament stay pre-DLC: the meta simply hadn't settled into anything coherent yet during the tour's final rounds. In addition, I was struggling to adapt to DLC2 during the first few weeks, and getting to play the tournament under a ruleset I could actually play was great. If anything, the excuse to focus on something else for a while and let DLC2 figure itself out was very welcome.
1590782579302.v1.png

Nice nice, glad to see it worked out well! Now, on the topic of DLC2, how would you say the meta's developed from then to now? You feeling pretty good about it? Think there's anything else that needs to be done? Think it's still not quite stable yet? Anything of note.​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

I'm pleasantly surprised by how the DLC2 meta turned out, actually! It's surprisingly diverse, and I appreciate how a healthy balance between custap, custap counterplay, and other strategies has arose (for a while, I was pretty concerned the item would turn out to be too overcentralizing, but that hasn't happened).

If there's anything that needs looking at it's probably victini or the urshifus: the former for being able to run whatever it wants and win tons of additional matchups with its item/move choices, and the latter for simply bringing a lot of raw power to the table (the mindgames at preview don't hurt either). For the record, I don't think either is actually banworthy right now, just that they're easily the hardest to reliably counter.
That said, I definitely think there's a lot of directions this can still go.
I think there are many lower-ranked and unranked pokemon worth exploring, and as long as there isn't a comprehensive set compendium out it will be difficult to develop proper EV spreads for many pokemon. And on top of that we'll still see a lot of pokemon whose viability gets re-evaluated as it becomes increasingly clear what their role in the new meta is.
1590782579302.v1.png

Yeah for sure, I'd say there's still plenty of things up in the air and to be done, myself. Always nice to have multiple perspectives on the matter. With that said, let's move on to another significant tournament you played a part in; if I'm not mistaken, you were a member of the team for Northwest Europe in the recent 1v1 World Cup, right? What would you say the experience there was like? Like, team atmosphere, the role you played, anything else of note.​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

I joined the team's discord in the weeks leading up to WC, and was pretty happy to get picked as a substitute. There was a lot of competition for SS slots (having two captains who main it will do that), so I never actually got to play, though I did help with teambuilding some and contributed a few teams of my own. I've heard some people opine that I should've been slotted in over Wanony, but I think Alice and TSC made the right choice: Wanony is a very established player and simply was a much safer pick.

Atmosphere-wise I loved it: the discord was quite active and I really liked the people there. Getting to see WC preparation also taught me a lot about teambuilding and the dynamics in team-tours.
1590782579302.v1.png

From that glowing review, I think it's safe to say you'd be more than willing to play for the team again in the next iteration of the tournament, and after the seasonal performance I'm sure you'd get your shot to play, this time! With that said, would you say you're particularly excited for the coming Premier League? With PL of course you could very well end up being drafted alongside anyone, rather than just the NWEU crew.​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

As long as I don't get drafted along XSC, I don't see any problems arising. :P I like to think I'm on good terms with most prospective managers, and I'm sure that I'll be able to fit in well on any team. The next WC is obviously also something to look forward to, but it's still a long ways away.
1590782579302.v1.png

Of course, of course ;b With that said, let's shift the topic a bit. Going back to your earlier days in 1v1, you weren't really as talkative, right? Or at least, if you were, I never really got to see much of it myself. But nowadays, I'd definitely say you've been getting a bit more social, which has been nice to see. Was there anything that spurred this increase in activity from you? Or was it just more of a gradual thing over the years?​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

I think the main turning point was making an actual smogon account and joining the discord: it really helped me put faces (so to speak) to the names I encounter on ladder. I won't deny that I'm a pretty reserved person, but spending a few months in the community definitely helped me open up more.
1590782579302.v1.png

Ah yeah, establishing a presence on each of the pertinent platforms will definitely help do that. I'm sure everyone loves getting to see more of you, as well! With that said, have you put any thought towards getting more involved with other 1v1 things? Stuff like writing analyses, getting involved with projects, developing resources like the VR/Sets Compendium, etc?​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

I've actually written the dex page on Alolan Marowak and Nalei's offensive Blissey set, though both of these are outdated now (and it seems the Marowak one is gone entirely). When analyses open back up I will definitely be writing some more: it's a great combination of setbuilding, helping the community out, and improving my own knowledge of the meta. I'm also planning to be more active in the setbuilding channel in the future, though I'm waiting for the meta to stabilize a tiny bit more.
1590782579302.v1.png

Absolutely fair, I'm sure everyone can't wait to see what you come up with once more things open up! As we start to wrap things up, now that you've won one of the major tournaments and are poised to play in the coming Championships, what would you say is the next big thing you've got your sights set on, if anything?​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

If I don't get eliminated from champions r1 I'll be happy, to be honest. :P More seriously, I'm looking forward to PL, which will be a whole new experience. There's also next year's tours, of course, but I think it's too soon to say anything about those.
1590782579302.v1.png

Any last words to the readers?​
MDP_E_428_80x80.png

Thank y'all for taking your time to read this, and don't forget you're all amazing and that your contributions to the community are appreciated!
1590782579302.v1.png

Thanks for your time :)​
======================================================================

Duration of interview: 1 hour, 59 minutes

If you have any questions of your own for Here comes team Charm!, feel free to ask them here!

As for the next interview, don't expect a consistent schedule behind these-​

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Bonus questions:
  • Is there any team in particular you'd like to show to the people?
  • Why did you prepare an SM team when the main thing that sparked the interview was your win in an SS Seasonal?
  • Have these satirical questions been funny so far?
  • Have you ever tried using Team Charm in 1v1?

Here Comes Team Charm!

Perhaps the stars
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Bonus questions:
  • Is there any team in particular you'd like to show to the people?
  • Why did you prepare an SM team when the main thing that sparked the interview was your win in an SS Seasonal?
  • Have these satirical questions been funny so far?
  • Have you ever tried using Team Charm in 1v1?
1. My favorite team is definitely this very old USUM team: it's gone through a bunch of changes but it's always been mono bug and focused on the core of Crustle + Vivillon (third members have included Genesect, Pheromosa, and now Volcarona). Anyone who's seen me play gen 7 has probably encountered it, and while it's far from perfect I love how it manages to defeat so many would-be 3-0s. (https://pokepast.es/1939283a990e9e21)

2. Because SM best gen, next question.

3. Amazingly.

4. I have one for gen 7 but it sucks and can't beat victini. Custap medicham is cool though.

how do you get an interview
I guess you could win a big tournament but I don't think there are a lot of those. :/

pqs

Last edited:

XSTATIC COLD

Banned deucer.
don't forget that i have been haxed as hell by blaziken, with literally 3 games robbed, otherwise i could still win ( even if it would be hard i know)

And yes, i don't like hctc. (Anyway everybody may know it).
I know he is good at 1v1, he deserved his ssnl ofc, but i hate his personnality. Of course i refuse to play with him in every team tour.

Last edited:

D2TheW

Amadán
20201125_224632.jpg

Thoughts on Felucia and myself ruining this for you before you even joined the community?
(The posters identity has been hidden so pqs won't get mad at me for posting what he said)

Any cool Dutch foods to share?

Why are you so opposed to nweu being called neuk?

Why are there so many Dutch 1v1ers and when is the inevitable Dutch 1v1 coup?

A philosophical question:
There are three traintracks. You are stood next to the right train track with a lever next to you and a stranger is stood next to the left train track with a lever next to them. Your family is tied to the traintrack next to the stranger while their family is tied to the track next to you and a train is rushing towards each family. Dick Cheney is tied to the middle track. If you pull your lever, the train will move on to the middle track, killing Dick Cheney and saving the strangers family. If you don't, the family dies. The same applies to the strangers lever. HOWEVER if you BOTH pull your levers, the trains collide in the middle, killing both families as well as Dick Cheney. If neither of you pull your levers, both families die and Cheney gets to live. If you attempt to circumvent the rules in any way, Dick Cheney escapes, kills everyone(including you) and goes on to profit from another war in the middle east.
Do you pull your lever?

Least favourite pokemon?

Attachments

Tol

Retirement house
mblaziken mscept or mega pert in sm
most washed player in 1v1
favorite mon any gen
who is the king of glory
if you could unban any two banned from smogon 1v1ers who would they be
do you think that users with 2019/20 joindates deserve rights
when is the next arc of you and xsc's relationship where you finally start dating

Here Comes Team Charm!

Perhaps the stars
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 294415
Thoughts on Felucia and myself ruining this for you before you even joined the community?
(The posters identity has been hidden so pqs won't get mad at me for posting what he said)

Any cool Dutch foods to share?

Why are you so opposed to nweu being called neuk?

Why are there so many Dutch 1v1ers and when is the inevitable Dutch 1v1 coup?

A philosophical question:
There are three traintracks. You are stood next to the right train track with a lever next to you and a stranger is stood next to the left train track with a lever next to them. Your family is tied to the traintrack next to the stranger while their family is tied to the track next to you and a train is rushing towards each family. Dick Cheney is tied to the middle track. If you pull your lever, the train will move on to the middle track, killing Dick Cheney and saving the strangers family. If you don't, the family dies. The same applies to the strangers lever. HOWEVER if you BOTH pull your levers, the trains collide in the middle, killing both families as well as Dick Cheney. If neither of you pull your levers, both families die and Cheney gets to live. If you attempt to circumvent the rules in any way, Dick Cheney escapes, kills everyone(including you) and goes on to profit from another war in the middle east.
Do you pull your lever?

Least favourite pokemon?
1. Dad jokes are great and I'll die on that hill.

2. Oliebollen, kroketten, pannenkoeken, and our endless varieties of liquorice that nobody ever seems to like.

3. Because neuk already means something in Dutch and y'all know what.

4a. Because we're all crammed in one tiny country and turn to the internet for entertainment.
4b. Dw, we're working on it.

5. How big is the stranger's family?

6. I tried to use zarude and missed three power whips in a row so therefore zarude.

mblaziken mscept or mega pert in sm
most washed player in 1v1
favorite mon any gen
who is the king of glory
if you could unban any two banned from smogon 1v1ers who would they be
do you think that users with 2019/20 joindates deserve rights
when is the next arc of you and xsc's relationship where you finally start dating
1. Mpert because it lets me pretend I got dragonite covered.

2. Pick the funniest from 'me', 'you', and 'pqs'.

3. Crustle for sure, love me some +2 Rock Wreckers. This isn't even a meme answer it's genuinely my favorite.

4. Pick the funniest from 'me', 'you', and 'pqs'.

5. W2F, prim really do be strong in the metagame as glue S-.
also nolenot i guess

6. Yes but they have to explain why Magma Storm Heatran isn't good in 1v1 first.

HCTC, can you declare me viable?
Itchyfoot is officially viable and cute.

Omg, HCTC. I'm Attidude, and I simply love your style of teams.

1) Can you put a finger on any great Pokemon in SM which you would love to see more usage, and why? And if possible, please explain one Pokemon you would like people to use less...

2) I've not played much of this gen because I find it to be stupendously monotonous.. Do you think I'm right or wrong? Please support me or oppose me, with what you deem appropriate reasoning...

Why are my questions starting to sound like a damn college professor's? -_-'

3) Which Italian food is better - pasta or pizza?

4) Which of these players do you think is more underrated, NotFrancy or Downcoming3 ?

To conclude, I'm really your fan n.n

Hey, grats on the interview ! It's well-deserved, really.
As for a few questions :
- Can you share the most meme-ish/unconventional set you've ever used in a tournament and give a few words on it ?
- You mentioned a lot of unranked/low ranked mons needing to be explored more in the current meta, can you share one in particular you like more than the others ?
- Do you have an ultimate goal, something you'd really want to accomplish in the community before leaving 1v1 ?
-+HereComesTeamCharm when ?
- Last, would you prefer losing a series in 5 knowing you played well or winning a series only due to hax while making arguably bad plays/picks ?

Here Comes Team Charm!

Perhaps the stars
Omg, HCTC. I'm Attidude, and I simply love your style of teams.

1) Can you put a finger on any great Pokemon in SM which you would love to see more usage, and why? And if possible, please explain one Pokemon you would like people to use less...

2) I've not played much of this gen because I find it to be stupendously monotonous.. Do you think I'm right or wrong? Please support me or oppose me, with what you deem appropriate reasoning...

Why are my questions starting to sound like a damn college professor's? -_-'

3) Which Italian food is better - pasta or pizza?

4) Which of these players do you think is more underrated, NotFrancy or Downcoming3 ?

To conclude, I'm really your fan n.n
1. I actually quite like Araquanid as a cool package of insane special bulk, powerful Water STAB, and Laser Focus: I understand why it doesn't get more usage but at the same time I'd have liked it to make at least a single classic appearance. Plus, it's just fun to use.
As for pokemon that deserve less usage: I don't think anything is exceptionally overrated but I'd like to see less stallmons for my personal enjoyment. :P

2. There's definitely less diversity than in SM, but it's not quite as bad as some other generations *cough* oras *cough*. The situation isn't helped by the most reliable check to the #1 mon being the #2 mon (and the #3 mon doing okay against both). That said, I don't think it's unplayably monotonous: there's a ton of viable mons with more sets being discovered each day.

3. Bad pasta > bad pizza.
Average pasta < average pizza.
Good pasta > good pizza.

4. Probably Francy, but mostly based on the fact that I don't know him that well.

Hey, grats on the interview ! It's well-deserved, really.
As for a few questions :
- Can you share the most meme-ish/unconventional set you've ever used in a tournament and give a few words on it ?
- You mentioned a lot of unranked/low ranked mons needing to be explored more in the current meta, can you share one in particular you like more than the others ?
- Do you have an ultimate goal, something you'd really want to accomplish in the community before leaving 1v1 ?
-+HereComesTeamCharm when ?
-Last, would you prefer losing a series in 5 knowing you played well or winning a series only due to hax while making arguably bad plays/picks ?
1. Probably this set (https://pokepast.es/01944c168340dd16), which I used against pqs during SSNL winners semis. It's based on something I've seen 5luke use on ladder, and I put it on the team because I needed a poison-type that beat all disablepult variants. It didn't get to show off its tricks, but it did win the game where I brought it. I wouldn't use it post-DLC2, though.

2. Nihilego is something I've been looking into for a bit now: I like it a lot, and it's pretty reliable as far as victini answers go (only losing to scarf), but it's annoying how it has to pick between AV to beat primarina and Power Herb to beat victini. (although saying that, I'm getting an idea for a very offbeat set)

3. That's a big question: I guess winning at least one more tournament (whether individual or team-based) would be cool?

4. Maybe I should do that one of these days.

5. The second if losing means getting eliminated entirely (no double elim/round-robin/teams), the first otherwise.

Last edited:
hi charm

1. what is ur base avatar?

2. how will you participate in pl(player or builder or manager or all 3)?

3. whats ur fav drink?

4. what do u think the top 5 mons are of dlc2?

5. can i join the eventual dutch 1v1 jerk cuz im dutch?

6. do you know that that the way that xsc interacts with u might mean he has a crush on u?

Here Comes Team Charm!

Perhaps the stars
hi charm

1. what is ur base avatar?

2. how will you participate in pl(player or builder or manager or all 3)?

3. whats ur fav drink?

4. what do u think the top 5 mons are of dlc2?

5. can i join the eventual dutch 1v1 jerk cuz im dutch?

6. do you know that that the way that xsc interacts with u might mean he has a crush on u?
1. Eelektrik, apparently.

2. Player and builder, for sure. Manager seems a bit ambitious for now, but maybe I'll offer to co-manage?

3. Coffee or milk but not coffee with milk.

4. Victini, Urshifu, Primarina, Moltres-Galar, Genesect? Maybe Rillaboom or Zygarde instead of one of those.

5. Idk, what's your opinion on raw fish?
there is no question six just like there was no question seven from tol

Tol

Retirement house
1. Mpert because it lets me pretend I got dragonite covered.
oh my god why is this literally my brain while building sm
some more questions for the some good times man hctc:
1. another mega trio: Abomasnow, Sharpedo, Camerupt. pick ur poison.
2. GOAT, taking into account peak and longevity.
3. What would your thoughts be on a potential Charizardite ban in SM? and which Zard would you want to see axed if one had to go?
4. what does neuk mean in dutch?
5. gens, ranked from favorite to least favorite?
6. Why do you refuse to answer any questions about XSC? are you shy about your personal relationship with the Frenchman?
7. nweu players ranked from most likely to know random trivia about Star Wars to least likely

Here Comes Team Charm!

Perhaps the stars
oh my god why is this literally my brain while building sm
some more questions for the some good times man hctc:
1. another mega trio: Abomasnow, Sharpedo, Camerupt. pick ur poison.
2. GOAT, taking into account peak and longevity.
3. What would your thoughts be on a potential Charizardite ban in SM? and which Zard would you want to see axed if one had to go?
4. what does neuk mean in dutch?
5. gens, ranked from favorite to least favorite?
6. Why do you refuse to answer any questions about XSC? are you shy about your personal relationship with the Frenchman?
7. nweu players ranked from most likely to know random trivia about Star Wars to least likely
1. I know picking the sleep hax mon twice in a row isn't a good look but probably Camerupt,
2. No idea, based on pure achievements it'd have to be ggopw but to be honest I don't think about this a lot.
3. I can see the arguments for a ban, but the meta seems to have come up with a lot of shared zard counters while losing none of its diversity, so it's probably fine to keep them. Obviously removing either would work if the goal is increased predictability, so I'd remove Y. Sun-boosted blast burn is a lot harder to defensively check than Zard X's Flare Blitz, and getting to fish for hax with Air Slash is the nail in the coffin.
4. Translation sites are free.
5. SM > BW > SS > ADV > DPP > ORAS
SS could really be anywhere depending on what era of the meta you're talking about, though.
6. I compliment you for not putting your question at the end of a list where I can ignore it (sorry Alex), so I'll just write some nonsense here without actually answering anything.
7. PA > Alice > Simbo > HCTC > Jordy > Felucia > Krytocon > Iron Crusher > WailJesus > Martha > TheShadowClaw > Wanony
I can explain exactly none of those rankings so don't ask me to, this is all on pure inaccurate instinct.

1. who is ur fav dutch person(mine is my dad)
2. respond to tols 6th question
1. My boyfriend's pretty Dutch so probably him.

Here Comes Team Charm!

Perhaps the stars
1. Which from this Mega Trio- Mega Bannete Mega Abomasnow Mega Glalie
2. Why are your inspire me teams so good?
3. Why ADV higher then DPP
4. nweu players ranked from most languages known to least. (Can guess)
5. Answer Tol’s 6th question
1. Mega glalie is probably the worst of the three but refrigate giga impact go brrrr.
2. Because I build best when severely and arbitrarily limited, whether by mons, types, or alphabet.
3. It's refreshing to see a 1v1 meta where Dragonite isn't a top tier and kecleon is viable.
4. Wanony > Jordy > Felucia > Simbo > TSC > HCTC > Alice > Wail > PA > Martha > Iron Crusher > Kryto

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)