Hobbies Paul’s smoking habit

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Going to be chronicling this new hobby of mine, I bought a Traeger Fremont Grill at Costco, was about 600 bucks all things included and man is it going to be worth it.
(Currently installed at my buddies house, but I bought it so it fits in my apartments patio, I’ve learned that my landlord will allow any shenanigans as long as he can partake in said shenanigans, such as brisket)
32D2A00B-BC6F-4272-AA92-9C8DB903E2C4.jpeg
2B425CFE-982E-4118-B841-693D245253CF.jpeg

CA307C5D-4925-461C-8608-7B33E6EDFCAE.jpeg

Tomorrow night comes the pork shoulder

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
This is super swag

But if you're going to chronicle your smoking (no nicotine) adventures you have to give us a bit more info. What dry rubs are you using? Are you giving it any extra flair once it's out of the smoker with the really terrible squeeze butter stuff or some bbq sauce?

My mouth is watering in anticipation

Paulluxx

This is super swag

But if you're going to chronicle your smoking (no nicotine) adventures you have to give us a bit more info. What dry rubs are you using? Are you giving it any extra flair once it's out of the smoker with the really terrible squeeze butter stuff or some bbq sauce?

My mouth is watering in anticipation
All in due time, gonna start with mustard as the binder with a simple 1/1 Salt(Kosher) and Pepper(Coarse Grain), Paprika for color.

I`'ve got a few good Barbecue Sauces, my favorite is Dinosaur Barbecue's Sensuous Slathering. I do really like this Soy Sauce based Japanese barbecue sauce I have though.

(Edit: Also Hawaiian rolls, best bread to go with pulled pork)

Paulluxx

dw fren, when the texas bbq mafia puts a hit on for you for using something other than salt and pepper on your pork shoulder I will protect u i promise. you dont have to live in fear naymore...
Thank you, the mafia was already sending me letters, I was getting worried…

Speaking of,

Progress report #1 Hour-3:went to spray on some apple cider vinegar(diluted with water), to keep it from drying out. And this is what it looked like, I can’t even begin to describe how it smelled(I bought a boneless btw, but next time I’m gonna do Bone-In, it provides a better knowledge on when to take it out, because the bone just slides out, but with this it comes down to instinct and timing.)
C2789C14-1647-48AD-AB60-28CAC07B1898.jpeg

Enjoy!

Paulluxx

anxiously awaiting thread updates, also glad you don't have a smoking problem, only smoking solutions
7231F9B6-AC17-4DEC-A209-189897AD09B3.jpeg
Hope you didn’t have to wait too long.

This is the last picture before I wrap it in foil, entering the final stretch.

(when the fat cap splits is when you wrap it, since it’s boneless I have to be more careful when wrapping, dull side on the outside, shiny on the inside)

Paulluxx

throughout all of this you didn't mention what wood you're using to smoke it. Applewood? Hickory? Pecan????
It’s a pellet grill, so it uses wooden pellets. I’m using Costco’s Hardwood mix, I did some research and from what I read it’s a great and inexpensive mix. It’s Hickory Oak Cherry and Maple. Provides a very nice smoke taste, and man the smell. Euphoric.

Pellet mixes are ok and all (and somewhat inexpensive for a pellet grill), but there's nothing that beats straight flavours like apple and hickory IMO, especially for delicate meats like seafood and small game (including poultry).

Homelander without powers would definitely be a food critic

Paulluxx

Pellet mixes are ok and all (and somewhat inexpensive for a pellet grill), but there's nothing that beats straight flavours like apple and hickory IMO, especially for delicate meats like seafood and small game (including poultry).

Homelander without powers would definitely be a food critic
Yeah I plan on attempting other things using straight pellets. Just starting out with the mix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)