Project OU Teambuilding Competition V9 (Done! See you all in Sun & Moon)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Team 1 Some small comments.

I used it awhile back and liked it a lot. My only gripe that I mentioned to Fookmi was a lack of ground which made spamming electric moves really easy on it at times and a shotty ground immunity in Torn-T.

On Team 2, Kyurem-B and M-Gardevoir seem like issues and I think CM Raikou is a really weak win condition that the team isn't supporting. I think it has an ok matchup against a balance squad at first glance but I question as to how it breaks stall or offense. Perhaps Calm Mind Latios could be an option.

Team 3 seems incredibly confused and passive. It's trying to go this semi-stal route with no way to pressure other defensive teams while being liable to a ton of common trends and dangerous mons such as both Zards, Thundurus, M-Scizor, and so forth. Establishing a more concrete direction with the team would do wonders.

Team 4 This team kind of has 0 for stall which is the major red flag. A typical M-Bro stall will dismantle this squad at first glance.

Team 5 m00ns faced me a lot with this team. I think it's ok I find it weak to a lot of dark horse mons like Gliscor while Sand sort of just man handles the team left and right when Exca is SD. M-Sciz can be annoying as well it isn't a bad team but it's super hard to use cause Hippowdon creates too many set up opportunities for opponents.

Team 6 I'd probably just consider running Jolly. It relies way too much on opposing Excadrills not being SD and fortunately in most non Tournament environments you'll see Adamant Excadrill so you'll normally win these sand v sand type matchups.

Team 7 is fire

Team 8 looks like something King UU would make if he played OU.

Team 9 It really hurts that this team has 0 Dark resists of any sort, which is kind of a more or less necessity on a lot of teams.

Team 10 I don't really get the appeal of AV Torn-T on a build like this honestly. Seems more beneficial to just run it as a Life Orb variant to apply more focused pressure on fat teams that M-Altaria is not good at breaking in tandem with Hoopa. Teams end game is pretty weird to, as in I guess it just hits stuff but no strategy in mind? Idk seems silly to me at least.

Team 11 This team is super shaky with using Tangrowth as the only relatively good means at holding back an SD Breloom from sweeping you and even then Breloom in general. Contrary to my idea that sand is one of the most simple and easiest to use playstyles I don't think going the sand route was beneficial when pairing up Torn-T, Heatran, Tang, and M-Gyarados together. I think some spikes and a focus on setting up an M-Gyarados sweep through a secondary partner that works well with the core should've been what the process would fall upon.

I like Team 12 as well and would be my second pick but it seems rather annoyed by Offensive M-Scizor and relying on Keld + fire coverage sometimes isn't enough. The lack of steel makes it more weak to stuff like Clefable to which is bothersome to deal with any CM variant due to a lack of Taunt on Torn-T or Garde.

Lot of these are cool looking teams though. Good stuff to brainstorm to.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wow, this was hella close. Team 9 by imsosorrylol has won this round over Team 1 by just 1 vote! Congratulations, it will be added to the hall of fame shortly. Next time post the team yourself tbh to avoid confusion.

Time to reveal the next teambuilding round!

Round 29:

Thanks to AM for bringing up this beauty. We all love that break balance and that destroy mons like clefable so yeah, nidoking does just that and more. One of the most malleable lower ranked mons and everyone loves nidoking tbh. So yeah, build a team with nidoking.

Everyone have fun, and best of luck on this round!

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Roost

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave

Nidoking provides a wallbreaker for the team, and is able to OHKO many threats, and more prominently, switch in safely on Clefable. However, it is extremely lacking in speed, so it really requires a Volt-Turn core to be able to come in safely. Furthermore, Thunder Wave really helps it by slowing down faster threats. Therefore, Chansey offense. My stealth rocker, wall that deals with a metric ton of threats that the team has issues with. Thunder Wave is the best move in Pokemon that you can throw around with minimal repercussion. Weak to Charizard-X? Chansey can take a hit and Thunder Wave. Weak to Bisharp? Chansey can take a hit and Thunder Wave. Of course it doesn't enjoy getting Knocked Off but it works so well as a one-time check to a super dangerous threat, and it can provide lots of team support if you don't need that. Volt-Turn core to get momentum back from the momentum that people claim Chansey loses despite Thunder Wave being the best move in existence. No idea who is gaining momentum by getting their shit paralyzed but whatever. Latios for Defog.

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hell yeah, one of my absolute favorite mons (Something's gotta fill the void Lando-I left after it was banned ;_;)

So yeah this is a fun team that I've been rocking with for the past couple of months, and overall it's been an enjoyable team that really puts in work. I started off with Nidoking + Jirachi because Clefable can go f*** itself, and it's a nice strong offensive core: Nidoking wallbreaks while Jirachi wears down offense with its STAB's and great ability to flinch things to death while also providing Healing Wish support to my team. Rotom-Wash was a natural teammate to deal with ground types such as Lando who can be quite a pain to this team, and Rotom's spread speed creeps those who speed creep 8 speed Lando-I. Latios provides natural hazard removal support while Celebi provides another check to Keldeo while being able to set up hazards and gain momentum for my team with U-Turn along with Jirachi. And finally M-Gyara is there to clean once its checks are eliminated, while also singlehandedly being able to demolish stall builds with Taunt+DD. Overall this is a nice fun team that, while annoyed by certain mons, such as darks for example (what else would you expect with three Psychic types on one team, lol), is just too much fun, and really shows off the power that Nidoking brings to the table.

Two replays to give a quick taste of how this team performs (Unreleased OU, but the teams in these replays are ones you would find in the normal OU metagame anyway):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/unreleasedou-340854882

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/unreleasedou-340851328

Nidoking @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Healing Wish
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Snatch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Latios @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Roost

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave

Nidoking provides a wallbreaker for the team, and is able to OHKO many threats, and more prominently, switch in safely on Clefable. However, it is extremely lacking in speed, so it really requires a Volt-Turn core to be able to come in safely. Furthermore, Thunder Wave really helps it by slowing down faster threats. Therefore, Chansey offense. My stealth rocker, wall that deals with a metric ton of threats that the team has issues with. Thunder Wave is the best move in Pokemon that you can throw around with minimal repercussion. Weak to Charizard-X? Chansey can take a hit and Thunder Wave. Weak to Bisharp? Chansey can take a hit and Thunder Wave. Of course it doesn't enjoy getting Knocked Off but it works so well as a one-time check to a super dangerous threat, and it can provide lots of team support if you don't need that. Volt-Turn core to get momentum back from the momentum that people claim Chansey loses despite Thunder Wave being the best move in existence. No idea who is gaining momentum by getting their shit paralyzed but whatever. Latios for Defog.
You have ko on torn twice. Might wanna fix that.

Phantom Me

Banned deucer.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Encore

The theme is nidoking,so I wanted to build a bulky offense team with it.The nidoking set needs no explanation.Since it struggles to switch in a lot of threats,I added lando for u-turn.Landorus-T is immune to the Ground-type moves that threaten Nidoking and helps with Nidoking's bad matchup against sand teams, while Nidoking is capable of breaking a lot of Pokemon that check it such as Ferrothorn, Garchomp, and bulky Water-types in general.It also helps with stealth rock.Raikou helps checking faster Electric-types such as Mega Manectric, Thundurus, and opposing Raikou, as they all deal heavy damage to Nidoking with Hidden Power Ice.Raikou also helps check the likes of Gengar since Nidoking lacks Sucker Punch, as well as checking Keldeo and Talonflame.It also forms a volt turn core with landorus-therian and gives the team a winning condition.Klefki is able to set spikes to capitalize nidoking's wall breaking ability,and Thunder Wave to provide speed control and slow down faster Pokemon, allowing Nidoking to pick them off more easlike.Klefki is notable for its ability to switch into Weavile and force it out.Tank Garchomp punishes powerful priority moves and helps weaken Pokemon by phazing them with Dragon Tail.Also,dragon tail has an amazing combination with stealth rock and spikes.Mega Alakazam is here to pressure offensive teams,which nidoking doesn't have a decent matchup against,
while Nidoking helps break bulkier Pokemon for it.Mega Alakazam is also notable for its ability to handle weather teams with Trace.If you like the team,please give a like:)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-345213154

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Kanto Only Nidoking Stall
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Antonio (Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Fire Blast

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 148 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave
- Discharge

Nidoking @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch / Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Badr (Poliwrath) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Circle Throw
- Scald
- Encore
- Rest
I don't really like building around 1 specific pokemon or core in this competition but coincidentally I just build a team featuring Nidoking a few days ago. This was not intended to be the most serious team but it still worked better than most of my serious teams because common threats such as Tornadus-T, Weavile and Azumarill are stopped pretty well because of the solid defensive core. The team started with a core I used a few times before: CM Slowbro + CM Clefable. I wanted to give the core a little twist by using some less common moves so I used CM Focus Blast Slowbro. I later replaced it because with the addition of Poliwrath and Chansey, the main targets were a lot less threatening. I just got the weird idea to make this a full Kanto team so I added Chansey and Zapdos for hazards control. Didn't want to go too defensive because pokemon like Hoopa-U are used a lot in this metagame, so I added Nidoking because it helps a lot with pokemon like Mega Heracross and Breloom. I thought a lot about the Nidoking set and in the first ten or so matches. I went for Toxic Spikes to have even more hazards control, but after testing I realised I needed the extra coverage. Ice Beam / Sucker Punch is slashed because I am still not 100% convinced about each of them. Sucker Punch prevents me from getting 6-0d by Gengar and also helps a lot against CM Alakazam, Mega Gardevoir and Starmie (preventing the Rapid Spin) but Ice Beam is a great alternative because nobody likes Lando-T / Garchomp. At this point many offensive Water- and Dark-Types had a really easy time against my team and to stay in the Kanto theme, Poliwrath fit perfectly. I really dislike Resttalk but I knew I needed the longetivty so I went Rest + Chesto with Heal Bell in the back in case its Chesto is Knocked Off. Reason for not having Sleep Talk being is that I wanted to try out Encore and ever since the first match I just love the combination of Encore + Circle Throw + Hazards. The last change was that I changed Clefable to Unaware because I didn't want to get 6-0d by TG RD 2 Atks Manaphy, Reuniclus and CM Latios. In the end, it turned out to be a really fun and quiet effective team, even with the lack of a Steel-Type (last time building without a Steel-Type was more than 25 teams ago).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)