Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thank you guys for the answers. So I suppose the EV spread I'm looking for is 88 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/164 Spe (like in the strategy dex), right?
I'd go with 124 speed, as I'm pretty sure that outspeeds uninvested clefable which is probably the best benchmark to hit.

They should be announced before the 20th.

Btw, what's the effective attack stat of Pikachu with light ball?
Assuming fully invested Pikachu in both stats with a neutral nature each
Its attack equivalent to an un-item boosted base stat of 160, regular stat of 419 (at lvl. 100), sp.atk equivalent to un item-boosted base stat of 149, 397 at lvl. 100.

Its attack equivalent to a life orb boosted stat is a base stat of 111, regular stat of 321, sp. atk equivalent to life orbed base stat of 103, regular of 305.

Its attack equivalent to a choice banded boosted stat is a base stat of 90, regular stat of 279, sp. atk equivalent to choice specced base stat of 83, regular of 265

Method (in case this is where I screwed up):
I punched in Hyper Beam and Giga Impact on the Calc (actually the one at gamut-was-taken.github.io, my parents block Showdown) using 252 Atk/252 SpA Pikachu holding a life orb against a 0/0 Manaphy not holding any item. I saw that 252 Atk Light Ball Giga Impact did a min of 191 damage (in raw HP) and that 252 SpA Light Ball Hyper Beam did a min of 181 damage. Thus, I kept modifying the base stats of Pikachu changing the items as necessary.

Are Luster Purge and Mist Ball as obviously bad as they seem, or is there some actual use for them I'm not aware of?
Psychic hits harder and has more PP, so I see no real reason to run them. Not every signature move necessarily has to be particularly good (see Kyurem's Glaciate and Kyurem-B's Freeze Shock).

@Below My bad, I forgot it learned that alongside it stealing every other Gen V signature move (the REAL Megaman of OU). It's really sad when an extra 'mon uses your signature move better than you.

Last edited:
Besides not having enough experience with a suspect, why would one choose to vote "Abstain" in a suspect test?
Usually people can't decide between ban or no ban and vote "Abstain" to avoid a delay of the suspect test. To keep a suspect test longer than needed, will just slow down the metagame from evolting.

Assuming fully invested Pikachu in both stats with a neutral nature each
Its attack equivalent to an un-item boosted base stat of 160, regular stat of 419 (at lvl. 100), sp.atk equivalent to un item-boosted base stat of 149, 397 at lvl. 100.

Its attack equivalent to a life orb boosted stat is a base stat of 111, regular stat of 321, sp. atk equivalent to life orbed base stat of 103, regular of 305.

Its attack equivalent to a choice banded boosted stat is a base stat of 90, regular stat of 279, sp. atk equivalent to choice specced base stat of 83, regular of 265

Method (in case this is where I screwed up):
I punched in Hyper Beam and Giga Impact on the Calc (actually the one at gamut-was-taken.github.io, my parents block Showdown) using 252 Atk/252 SpA Pikachu holding a life orb against a 0/0 Manaphy not holding any item. I saw that 252 Atk Light Ball Giga Impact did a min of 191 damage (in raw HP) and that 252 SpA Light Ball Hyper Beam did a min of 181 damage. Thus, I kept modifying the base stats of Pikachu changing the items as necessary.
Thanks. I'm thinking about using Cosplaychu with Tailwind and Quick Guard support in VGC. 180 effective speed and 160 effective attack hits like a truck and outspeeds everything.

Any tips to support/fill in the blanks with this core? I still need some much needed pivot support and hazard remover, but no clue what to use in particular. Would defensive scizor work for a physical wall/defogger as well as U-turner? Much appreciated in advance!

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Timid
- GigaDrain
- DragonPulse
- FocusBlast
- Substitute
Special sweeper, sub for the first turn M-evo.

Krookodile @ LifeOrb
Intimidate
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly
- KnockOff
- EarthQuake
- StoneEdge
- Pursuit
My personal favourite and pursuit trapper, counter to latios especially as well as other frails that don't appreciate being pursuit trapped. Also of course nothing appreciates losing items with knockoff.

Azumarill @ AssualtVest
Huge Power
Evs: 252 Hp / 252 Att / 4 SpD
Adamant
- Waterfall
- PlayRough
- Superpower
- AquaJet
Some much needed bulk and power, nothing unusual about this one.

I got a couple of 5 IV Naive Froakies, and I'm wondering if the lack of a perfect IV for Sp. Def will really be noticeable in battle. Should I start EV training the thing, or keep trying to get a 6 IV?

Another question. What's a good move set for a Choice Scarf Diggersby since he's got access to the elemental punches and Knock Off?

I got a couple of 5 IV Naive Froakies, and I'm wondering if the lack of a perfect IV for Sp. Def will really be noticeable in battle. Should I start EV training the thing, or keep trying to get a 6 IV?

Another question. What's a good move set for a Choice Scarf Diggersby since he's got access to the elemental punches and Knock Off?
I would try to get a perfect IV one. Even though it's Naive, it can still live a very few select hits on the special side. Greninja needs all the IVs it can get.

Also, for Diggersby:

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Wild Charge / Knock Off
- U-turn

If I'm not mistaken, that's the set you're going to want to run.
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong however.

Last edited:
I would try to get a perfect IV one. Even though it's Naive, it can still live a very few select hits on the special side. Greninja needs all the IVs it can get.

Also, for Diggersby:

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Wild Charge
- U-turn

If I'm not mistaken, that's the set you're going to want to run.
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong however.
I'd personally slash Wild Charge first so you can nail Skarmory, who otherwise walls you, as well as OHKO Gengar after rocks. Knock Off offers nice utility, but Wild Charge is definitely the superior coverage option.

which is a better spread for lvl 50?
lanturn modest specs

220 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 4 SpDef / 28 Speed (outspeeds neutral base 70)
or 116 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 108 SpDef / 28 Speed

May use it in a 3v3 mono tourney if that maters.

In double battles, if I use a spread move, like Earthquake, and my teammate has Levitate, one of my opponents uses Protect, and I only hit one foe, will it still be reduced by 25%?

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In double battles, if I use a spread move, like Earthquake, and my teammate has Levitate, one of my opponents uses Protect, and I only hit one foe, will it still be reduced by 25%?
The only spread moves that have reduced power are the ones that hit enemies, but for moves like rock slide I don't think there would be a power reduction.

The only spread moves that have reduced power are the ones that hit enemies, but for moves like rock slide I don't think there would be a power reduction.
Rockslide is reduced too. It's all spread moves regardless... Also i suggest asking doubles forum js
As it was said, every spread move has the power reduced to 75%, doesn't matter who it hits. It's the same for Rock Slide, E-Quake, Surf, Discharge, etc.

Is there a new Rotom-W standard ev spread or something? Last i heard it ran just enough speed to outspeed Azumarill, and put the rest in physical bulk. Now I'm seeing diffrent ev spreads.
is there a new standard or are people just changing the evs to fit their team better?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there a new Rotom-W standard ev spread or something? Last i heard it ran just enough speed to outspeed Azumarill, and put the rest in physical bulk. Now I'm seeing diffrent ev spreads.
is there a new standard or are people just changing the evs to fit their team better?
There isn't exactly a new standard spread, but with the decrease in belly drum azumarill Rotom no longer needs 44 speed. Some people, including myself, have been using 100-124 special defense evs to handle Greninja better, and specifically avoid the 2hko from dark pulse after rocks.

Long time lurker, new poster. I've been struggling to find two more Pokemon to add to my team that would work well with my Bisharp/Gallade core. I've been thinking about adding some sort of rapid spinner/defogger and/or a hazard setter, but I'm not entirely sure who to decide on. So far, this is what I've come up with:

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EV's: 4 HP/ 252 atk / 252 spe
Nature: Adamant
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt

Bisharp @ Life orb
Ability: Defiant
EV's: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Knock Off
- Iron head
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spd
Nature: Bold
- Will-o-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spd
Nature: Calm
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind

I am open to any suggestions to changes to my core as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)