Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i wanted to know what some of the rarest moves in pokemon are
i know about the new york pokemon center stuff in the early 2000s that had rapid spin geodude and the like
are there any other ancient event only moves or major events from back in the day
There are basically 4 categories of rare moves I think.
i) TMs or tutor moves from old games that never got incorporated into a Pokémon’s moveset once the TM or tutor was discontinued (with VC some of these became obtainable in modern gens… with 3DS eShop shutting down, not for much longer for people who don’t already have them on VC!) The main example would be most things with Teleport for TM, or lots of things with Body Slam for tutor as the last time that was a tutor move was in Emerald or XD.

ii) Egg moves that have a very small number of parents, often requiring trading mons around before breeding. Occasionally you also have Pokémon who have an egg move programmed into them that are completely unobtainable due to egg groups, like Nosepass and Head Smash in I think Gen VI, not sure on the gen, who had no legitimate parents who could learn Head Smash themselves.

iii) Lots of Shadow Pokémon received moves only in Pokémon XD: Gales of Darkness upon purification. These can still be traded all the way up to modern generations and can be used on competitive movesets, but it requires a lot of effort. Notably I think I’m right in saying this was how you got Heal Bell on Chansey at least for a few gens. It’s definitely how you got Heal Bell on Mightyena, and Mightyena did sometimes use that in the bottom tiers.

iv) Any other move that was in a Pokémon’s learnset briefly and then taken out of it. If you trade a legal Pokémon with the move it can still be used when it’s no longer in the moveset. Your events are a good option, but another option I have off-hand is Water Gun on Phanpy and Donphan, which they could learn as an egg move in Gen II and then never again. While the Gen II event is notable, Hold Hands / Celebrate are Gen VI and VII event exclusive moves, which were very relevant during the era of Z-Moves.

I don’t think there is a compiled list but splitting it into these categories should make researching it more focussed!

im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i wanted to know what some of the rarest moves in pokemon are
i know about the new york pokemon center stuff in the early 2000s that had rapid spin geodude and the like
are there any other ancient event only moves or major events from back in the day
I looked for a few examples of different types. You could say some event exclusive mons were readily available at the time and some are still technically obtainable within the games but they are probably relatively rare today and as time goes on.

Gen 1: Probably the Japanese exclusive events like Dragon Rage Magikarp and Pay Day Fearow and Rapidash.

Gen 2: There's all the NYPC stuff but also some egg moves just never came back. Ekans only gets Crunch as an egg move in Crystal. Razor Wind Bulbasaur has to be chained from Totodile, who only gets it from Kabutops or Dragonite that learned the move as a TM in Gen 1, and nothing even learns it in Gen 2 without trading involved. Pay Day Hoppip only exists if you tradeback a Pay Day Pikachu.

Gen 3: Petal Dance Meowth and other such mons were available from a Japanese store in 2 weeks in 2004. Also Wish/Sweet Scent Chansey is in the same vein but more known and available in America. Pay Day Skitty from Pokemon Box is also probably pretty rare to have legitimately today.
EDIT: Refresh Metang was distributed for playing a demo of XD that was held in Japan and the USA.

Gen 4: Dialga Palkia and Giratina only got Heal Block in DPPt and never again which I noticed when Palkia has Z-Heal Block as a major set. There were a few birthday event Quick Attack/Howl Charmanders and the Roar of Time/Spacial Rend Darkrai is also pretty neat.

Gen 5: V-create Rayquaza is honestly pretty rare now, only in Japanese stores for a week. Haze Zekrom and Mist Reshiram were Japanese events for the movie. Double-Edge Metagross was the last global link promotion mon given out for participating in the real pokemon league at the time.
EDIT: Double-Edge is actually also available as a common Gen 3 move tutor, so it's not unique to this event but still its latest appearance and was exclusive with its hidden ability at the time, until the Ability Patch now I guess.

Gen 6: Hold Back is a pretty rare event move in general now, you had to be there at the time for all of them like Celebi and Beldum and they don't just put it on everything like Celebrate anymore. Also there's Lance's Barrier Dragonite for participating in the Kanto Classic tournament.

Gen 7: Refresh and Sweet Scent Pikachu were exclusive to a Japanese cafe opening event but available in most pokemon centers.

Gen 8: I feel like the rarest "officially released" moves would be the glitched releases like Hydro Pump Drilbur and Tackle/Growl Magearna from the original HOME dex completion reward, even if gamefreak doesn't really acknowledge them.
EDIT: Also, originally this glitched Magearna with many ribbons required a living dex in HOME to obtain, but it was fixed and changed to only require the dex entries.

Last edited:
Gen 8: I feel like the rarest "officially released" moves would be the glitched releases like Hydro Pump Drilbur and Tackle/Growl Magearna from the original HOME dex completion reward, even if gamefreak doesn't really acknowledge them.
To add to the gen 8 glitches, there was that time where the Go transfers of Alolan Vulpix would give it the Kanto moveset in home, which iirc would result in a potential Flamethrower Alolan Ninetales.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Don't know how rare they are, but there's some odd move combos that exist because of Pokemon gaining new evolutions in later games like Defense Curl Gallade from Emerald Tutor Ralts/Kirlia, Defense Curl Alolan Raichu from Gen 2 TM/Gen 3 Tutor with a Gen 7 only Evolution, and Gen 9 will probably have stuff like Sucker Punch Wyrdeer, Roar Ursaluna, Roost Kleavor, and Toxic Hisuan Goodra.

Less seriously, I feel like anything with Defense Curl from Emerald's Tutor or String Shot from HGSS's Tutor should be pretty rare because next to no one bothered to teach those moves. Why were they even tutor moves? (I'm pretty sure Defense Curl was because it was a Gen 2 TM, but why was it a TM in Gen 2?)
Hone Claws + Baton Pass Shedinja is interesting because Baton Pass is Gen 3 and 4 only (Gen 3 only if you want it in anything other than a normal Pokeball) and Hone Claws is Gens 5 and 6 only. For extra humor, Double Edge is a Gen 3 Tutor and String Shot is a HGSS for some reason...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Both Bulbapedia and Serebii have a database of Event Distributions which is where you'll probably find your answer of "rarest move".

Another, possibly easier, thing you could do is look through each move on Bulbapedia to see if there's any strange cases. If an event Pokemon or a special Pokemon you can transfer from another game got a special move at one point it'll list them.

To contribute more than just a list, basically two specific things come to mind:

1. The Event Exclusive Moves: Hold Back, Happy Hour, Hold Hands, and Celebrate. Hold Hands is the most notable as it has the fewest amount of Pokemon that learn it... THOUGH one of these Pokemon is the Fanciful Vivillon which I think most people grabbed when they got the chance.

2. If you want something obscure, how about that one time the Japanese Pokemon Live Action Variety Show (at the time called "Pokemon Smash") gave away a Sableye that knew Octozooka and Tickle to celebrate the variety show's 9th anniversary. Why? Because, if I remember correctly, the main host was Chief Golgo Matsumoto whose favorite Pokemon was Sableye (they even had a costumed actor dressed as a Sableye as a normal cast member who Golgo would tickle when shenanigans started). Octozooka was also Golgo's favorite move, so hence a special giveaway of a Sableye that knows Octozooka and Tickle (the Sableye did also have its Hidden Ability, Prankster, so that was also nice).

EDIT: Also, originally this glitched Magearna with many ribbons required a living dex in HOME to obtain, but it was fixed and changed to only require the dex entries.
To add to the gen 8 glitches, there was that time where the Go transfers of Alolan Vulpix would give it the Kanto moveset in home, which iirc would result in a potential Flamethrower Alolan Ninetales.
Didn't all of these glitched instances get 'banned' (added to the Home hack checker, blocked from online trades and battles)?

I know for sure that glitched Alolan Vulpix etc. got their moves automatically fixed if they were left in Home during a certain time period. No idea if they got to keep Flamethrower etc. if left in Sw/Sh, or if they became blocked from Home after the time period. Hydro Pump Drilbur/Excadrill were definitely blocked, though I don't know if local trades are still possible with them, or what happened if you transferred one to Home before the glitch was fixed. I'm also not sure what happened to the glitched Magearnas, though I'm guessing (with minimal evidence) that they would've all been changed to the proper Original Color Magearnas as they couldn't be transferred to Sw/Sh at the time.

Last edited:
I know for sure that glitched Alolan Vulpix etc. got their moves automatically fixed if they were left in Home during a certain time period. No idea if they got to keep Flamethrower etc. if left in Sw/Sh, or if they became blocked from Home after the time period.
From what I remind, transferring a glitched vulpix/ninetales to Home would remove the moves. But nothing prevented you from keeping them in your cart.

I'm not too sure this is the place to ask in Smogon but I don't really know where else this question would fit

Is there any Gen 5 savefile tool that would allow me to extract Pokemon from the Hall of Fame? I have a lot of Pokemon that I transfered to a Gen 6 cartridge that I eventually lost and I'm thinking if maybe I could recover them from there (before anyone says that, no, PkHex won't let me do it)

Also the game only displays the last 15 or so HoF entries, but are any older ones saved?

Last edited:
I'm not too sure this is the place to ask in Smogon but I don't really know where else this question would fit

Is there any Gen 5 savefile tool that would allow me to extract Pokemon from the Hall of Fame? I have a lot of Pokemon that I transfered to a Gen 6 cartridge that I eventually lost and I'm thinking if maybe I could recover them from there (before anyone says that, no, PkHex won't let me do it)

Also the game only displays the last 15 or so HoF entries, but are any older ones saved?
https://projectpokemon.org/home/files/file/652-pokestar-pokemon-enabler/
https://projectpokemon.org/home/files/file/1127-hall-of-fame-extractor/
I'm not sure how much of the pokemon data is stored but I found these tools.

The Hall of Fame extractor worked perfectly, thank you very much!
EDIT: So on closer inspection it seems like the program isn't really getting the Pokemon's natures correctly, and is instead setting them all to Adamant (I noticed because I'm 100% sure one of the Pokemon I extracted was Jolly, not Adamant). Is there any way to get the correct nature to be set using the PID (which the program does seem to be able to pull)?

Last edited:
If I have a small point of discussion regarding unreleased/changed traits of a Pokemon, such change of an ability (released or unreleased), what would we say is a logical thread to raise the topic in?

The examples I had in mind pertained to abilities moreso than moves, and these being ones that the Pokemon no longer bears and, in some cases, were never officially released with in the first place. Considerations I had were

- Movepool Oddities
- Mysteries & Conspiracies
- Little Things that Annoy (iffy on this one since the subject is more curiosity than irritation on my part)

The Hall of Fame extractor worked perfectly, thank you very much!
EDIT: So on closer inspection it seems like the program isn't really getting the Pokemon's natures correctly, and is instead setting them all to Adamant (I noticed because I'm 100% sure one of the Pokemon I extracted was Jolly, not Adamant). Is there any way to get the correct nature to be set using the PID (which the program does seem to be able to pull)?
Unfortunately as of Gen 5, the PID and nature are no longer linked. So if the Hall of Fame doesn't store nature separately, that data might be lost.

Does anyone know if Legends has the same restrictions on transferring mons from GO that Swsh has? i.e., in SwSh if you haven't had a species in the game already (either by catching natively or transferring in from another no-GO game), you can't transfer a mon with the GO origin mark from HOME into the game.

I'm wondering if this is the case for PLA, and I haven't seen it explicitly confirmed yet.

Edit:

To answer my own question, there is no restriction (at least for PLA), the restriction does exist, but it's complicated. I transferred a Spiritomb from GO to HOME and dropped it straight into PLA, no problem. I have not completed the wisp quest yet, so Spiritomb is not in dex. However, it is in my SwSh dex. However, I could not transfer in a shiny Darkrai that I sent to HOME, receiving the "Pokemon has not been obtained in this save file" message. Guess I'll have to transfer a Darkrai up through bank to deposit into PLA first :(

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Legends has the same restrictions on transferring mons from GO that Swsh has? i.e., in SwSh if you haven't had a species in the game already (either by catching natively or transferring in from another no-GO game), you can't transfer a mon with the GO origin mark from HOME into the game.

I'm wondering if this is the case for PLA, and I haven't seen it explicitly confirmed yet.

Edit:

To answer my own question, there is no restriction (at least for PLA), the restriction does exist, but it's complicated. I transferred a Spiritomb from GO to HOME and dropped it straight into PLA, no problem. I have not completed the wisp quest yet, so Spiritomb is not in dex. However, it is in my SwSh dex. However, I could not transfer in a shiny Darkrai that I sent to HOME, receiving the "Pokemon has not been obtained in this save file" message. Guess I'll have to transfer a Darkrai up through bank to deposit into PLA first :(
I thought the original restriction was for Legendaries and Mythicals only. Are you allowed to transfer a Mythical from GO -> LA BDSP if it's in your SwSh dex but not your LA BDSP dex? Are you allowed to transfer a Mythical from GO -> SwSh if it's in your LA BDSP dex but not your SwSh dex? I'd be curious about how Home enforces this.

Last edited:
I thought the original restriction was for Legendaries and Mythicals only. Are you allowed to transfer a Mythical from GO -> LA if it's in your SwSh dex but not your LA dex? Are you allowed to transfer a Mythical from GO -> SwSh if it's in your LA dex but not your SwSh dex? I'd be curious about how Home enforces this.
Well, the problem with trying to figure out how this works is there are 5 mythical Pokemon in LA and absolutely none of them are available in SWSH

I don't think the restriction was only for legends/mythicals, my understanding was that it's for any mon you haven't registered. The page on Serebii does not specify legendary or mythical, eg. I just think nobody really bothered to check non-special mons.

I can't check and confirm myself at this point because my SwSh dex is finished and I'm not sure I have anything that is HOME-transfer only that hasn't passed through SwSh already, or counts as SwSh because I deposited them into HOME. The only candidates would have been the shiny Hoenn starters I transferred from GO, but because I have non-GO non-shiny Hoenn starters in HOME I think it counts for the transfer because HOME is basically a stripped-down SwSh.

What I could try checking later is whether bringing over a Darkrai from gen 7 will allow transfer into PLA without having to deposit the gen 7 Darkrai directly into PLA first.

I don't think the restriction was only for legends/mythicals, my understanding was that it's for any mon you haven't registered. The page on Serebii does not specify legendary or mythical, eg. I just think nobody really bothered to check non-special mons.

I can't check and confirm myself at this point because my SwSh dex is finished and I'm not sure I have anything that is HOME-transfer only that hasn't passed through SwSh already, or counts as SwSh because I deposited them into HOME. The only candidates would have been the shiny Hoenn starters I transferred from GO, but because I have non-GO non-shiny Hoenn starters in HOME I think it counts for the transfer because HOME is basically a stripped-down SwSh.

What I could try checking later is whether bringing over a Darkrai from gen 7 will allow transfer into PLA without having to deposit the gen 7 Darkrai directly into PLA first.
With Go it's definitely just Legendary & Mythical Pokemon (except Meltan & Melmetal) must have already been in the SWSH game. It can't just be sitting in Home.

How many pixels does the health bar in sword & shield have? I know it isn't 48 because all the vgc games for sword and shield have an /100 denominator. Bulbapedia doesn't seem to have an answer, and I can't find anything on it very easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)