Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

And as I said, it's as simple as DV variance. That's really it. No other weird reasoning.
DV is the genes? So thats the only difference?

its weird, because, then, the stat exp gained from my blastoise that I trained by defeating pokemon, counted as nothing. So,I am still confused...

Yes, DVs are what in modern games would be IVs: intrinsic values of the pokemon (in gen 1/2 ranging from 0 to 15) that are determined on their spawn and cannot be changed in any way. (and also what would determine the Hidden Power of the pokemon from gen 2 onwards)
ok, can I possibly know what my stat exp are for a particular stat and pokemon? in game (no formulas)

ok, can I possibly know what my stat exp are for a particular stat and pokemon? in game (no formulas)
Unfortunately no. There's no direct way in game to know your current stat exp nor DVs.

You can calculate DVs of a pokemon that's been literally just caught with 0 exp gained or stat exp gained, but other than that, you don't have any way to know the DVs or Stat exp via in-game means.

Unfortunately no. There's no direct way in game to know your current stat exp nor DVs.

You can calculate DVs of a pokemon that's been literally just caught with 0 exp gained or stat exp gained, but other than that, you don't have any way to know the DVs or Stat exp via in-game means.
ok, last thing:

''DV is the genes? So thats the only difference?

its weird, because, then, it as though, the stat exp gained from my blastoise that I trained by defeating pokemon counted as nothing. So,I am still confused... ''

about my confusion, any guess/answer?

its weird, because, then, it as though, the stat exp gained from my blastoise that I trained by defeating pokemon counted as nothing. So,I am still confused... ''
It's not like that.

I'll try to explain it a bit better...

Say a Blastoise has 100 base HP. (random number)
The pokemon can have from 0 to 15 HP DV, meaning it can have anywhere from 0 to 30 extra HP.
On top of this, say it can get a total of another 50 HP from stat exp (i can't remind off my mind).

This means that if your Blastoise right now has 150 HP, this could actually be for example 100 + 0 from DV + 50 from stat exp, or 100 + 30 from DV + 20 from stat exp, or anything in between.
However, a Blastoise that has 0 DV will get at best 150 HP from maxing out its stat exp, meanwhile a Blastoise with 15 DV will get up to 180.

Thus, you can't actually know where your Blastoise DVs are, until you level it to 100 and make it get enough HP stat exp that the stat does not increase anymore, at which point you will be able to calculate what its DVs are based on what max HP it reached.

(Repeat similar for other stats).

In your specific empyrical case, it may just be that your rarecandied Blastoise just happens to have significantly higher DVs than the other one.

It's not like that.

I'll try to explain it a bit better...

Say a Blastoise has 100 base HP. (random number)
The pokemon can have from 0 to 15 HP DV, meaning it can have anywhere from 0 to 30 extra HP.
On top of this, say it can get a total of another 50 HP from stat exp (i can't remind off my mind).

This means that if your Blastoise right now has 150 HP, this could actually be for example 100 + 0 from DV + 50 from stat exp, or 100 + 30 from DV + 20 from stat exp, or anything in between.
However, a Blastoise that has 0 DV will get at best 150 HP from maxing out its stat exp, meanwhile a Blastoise with 15 DV will get up to 180.

Thus, you can't actually know where your Blastoise DVs are, until you level it to 100 and make it get enough HP stat exp that the stat does not increase anymore, at which point you will be able to calculate what its DVs are based on what max HP it reached.

(Repeat similar for other stats).

In your specific empyrical case, it may just be that your rarecandied Blastoise just happens to have significantly higher DVs than the other one.
nice, in 1st and 2st generation, do I lose stat exp if my pokemon die?

hi, I have tgb dual and I am able to trade pokemons between gb1 and gb2 from rby to rby, or from gold/silver to gold/silver.
but now I am trying to trade my zapdos from blue to a pokemon from gold, to play with zapdos on gold, but its not working, it gives the message ''the link has been closed because of inactivity. please contact your friend and come again'' (yes, I am using cable club time capsule)

1656077133178.png

Is there any way to transfer Pokemon from RSE to SWSH without a DS that has a GBA cartridge slot because every guide I have read says that I require one?

Is there any way to transfer Pokemon from RSE to SWSH without a DS that has a GBA cartridge slot because every guide I have read says that I require one?
The GBA physically cannot connect to the DSi, 3DS or Switch so...no

The reason it says you require one is because, well. You need one. There's no other way for a DS to connect to the GBA; there's no link cables and the wireless adapter(which would onyl work on FRLG & Emerald anyway) is incompatible.

The only way to transfer from Gen 3 is to transfer to Gen 4, which requires a DS with a GBA Port. (Then you can transfer from Gen 4 to Gen 5 and from Gen 5 to Bank.)
The GBA physically cannot connect to the DSi, 3DS or Switch so...no

The reason it says you require one is because, well. You need one. There's no other way for a DS to connect to the GBA; there's no link cables and the wireless adapter(which would onyl work on FRLG & Emerald anyway) is incompatible.
Thank you both for your response, much appreciated.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Probably not a very simple question, but I'm stumped.

Several years ago I came across (and saved) a QR code which, when scanned in one of the Alola games, produces a shiny Mega Diancie. As Diancie isn't in the Alola Pokedex, it obviously doesn't register it as a "seen" entry. However, it is not counted as a Wonder QR code - the game erroneously says that it's a Pokemon in the Alola dex, indicating that the game is somehow tricked into scanning a Diancie instead of whatever else the QR "should" be. I've attached the QR code as an image if people want to test this for themselves.

Legendary and mythical Pokemon don't have QR codes, preventing the player from getting "seen" entries for them. However, someone has obviously created a working code for Mega Diancie. My question is, if this is possible, would it be technically possible to create QR codes for legendaries like Necrozma and Silvally? I know very little about QR codes but if anyone has more information, or knows of a guide or a website with more detail, I'd be very interested. I've Googled the topic but using any phrase similar to "legendary Pokemon QR codes" usually just results in QR codes for PKHex injection, which is useless to me.

Attachments

Probably not a very simple question, but I'm stumped.

Several years ago I came across (and saved) a QR code which, when scanned in one of the Alola games, produces a shiny Mega Diancie. As Diancie isn't in the Alola Pokedex, it obviously doesn't register it as a "seen" entry. However, it is not counted as a Wonder QR code - the game erroneously says that it's a Pokemon in the Alola dex, indicating that the game is somehow tricked into scanning a Diancie instead of whatever else the QR "should" be. I've attached the QR code as an image if people want to test this for themselves.

Legendary and mythical Pokemon don't have QR codes, preventing the player from getting "seen" entries for them. However, someone has obviously created a working code for Mega Diancie. My question is, if this is possible, would it be technically possible to create QR codes for legendaries like Necrozma and Silvally? I know very little about QR codes but if anyone has more information, or knows of a guide or a website with more detail, I'd be very interested. I've Googled the topic but using any phrase similar to "legendary Pokemon QR codes" usually just results in QR codes for PKHex injection, which is useless to me.
Apparently SciresM generated that Diancie QR code and all the out-of-dex mons back then, though his archive doesn't seem to have the Alola legendaries included.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
What's Hex's Japanese description? Its Japanese name is "Evil Eye" and its English description simply describes it as "relentless" without any specification on how the attack physically works. Based on context clues, I'm guessing the Japanese description says something along the lines of "stares relentlessly at the opponent" but I don't know for certain.

What's Hex's Japanese description? Its Japanese name is "Evil Eye" and its English description simply describes it as "relentless" without any specification on how the attack physically works. Based on context clues, I'm guessing the Japanese description says something along the lines of "stares relentlessly at the opponent" but I don't know for certain.
From messing with translations on the Japanese wiki

The attack is a slamming attack. The attack is a large, large damage attack with a large size.
(in kanji) A "insulting" attack. It deals large damage to opponents with abnormal conditions.
(in Legends) The attack is a "tapping" type of attack. The power is doubled if the opponent is in an abnormal state.

...well, kind of seems like deepL was having some problems here.

Uhh, here's the Japanese on the wiki at least
たたみかける ように こうげきする。じょうたい いじょうの あいてに おおきな ダメージを あたえる。
(漢字) たたみかける ように 攻撃する。状態異常の 相手に 大きな ダメージを 与える。

たたみかけるように攻撃する。 相手が状態異常の場合 威力は2倍になる。

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well the Evil Eye is a thing, it's usually a curse one gives by staring/glaring. Another similar concept is the Cut-eye, or some may know it as the "stink eye". And while the games don't go into detail, Legends: Arceus provided a bit more to the description:

"The user attacks with relentless intensity. This move's power is doubled if the target has a status condition."
While it doesn't sound like much, I feel the "intensity" bit does give a context clue it's not doing anything physically. From what it sounds like, it's just focusing REALLY hard with how much it hates you. As for why it does double damage to opponent's afflicted by a status ailment, well this is a stretch but if there's someone you don't like you're giving them a cursing glance, if they're already suffering from a misforutne then you'd want them to suffer double as much.

The attack is a slamming attack. The attack is a large, large damage attack with a large size.
(in kanji) A "insulting" attack. It deals large damage to opponents with abnormal conditions.
(in Legends) The attack is a "tapping" type of attack. The power is doubled if the opponent is in an abnormal state.

Hm, I feel the "insulting" one is probably the closest to the right idea, you know, applying it's "adding insult to injury".

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I always figured evil eye was supposed to refer to a third eye, which is characterised sometimes as spectral, being used to intuitively perceive where the Pokémon's status condition is hurting it the most (perhaps the entrypoint of the wound causing the status) and attacking the Pokémon there. "Attacks with relentless intensity" can be interpreted as attacking in a sort of berserked state, which also fits with the third eye idea as though they're entirely culturally distinct traditions, berserkers used substances and prayer to become frenzied on the battlefield, allowing their intuition to inform their every move on the battlefield. That's not very dissimilar to other cultures' conception of the third eye, and shows how this type of concept could be used for a savage attack should it be an evil third eye. Justification for the third eye interpretation can be found in the only non-Ghost-Type Pokémon to learn it by level up (besides the Vulpix family) being the Tentacool family, whose designs feature a sort of third eye with the placement of their lowest red bulge between the eyes where a third eye detail is placed on humans. Granted, they don't learn Mind Reader but then I don't actually think any Pokémon learn both Hex and Mind Reader. It's possible they're viewed as mutually exclusive moves, that you need a pure mind in order to use Mind Reader (Jp: Mind's Eye) and a corrupted mind ends up with Hex (Jp: Evil Eye).

But yea it's a giant walkaround and hopefully someone who can read Japanese will translate the text directly. I'm happy to be very wrong lol.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I always figured evil eye was supposed to refer to a third eye, which is characterised sometimes as spectral, being used to intuitively perceive where the Pokémon's status condition is hurting it the most (perhaps the entrypoint of the wound causing the status) and attacking the Pokémon there. "Attacks with relentless intensity" can be interpreted as attacking in a sort of berserked state, which also fits with the third eye idea as though they're entirely culturally distinct traditions, berserkers used substances and prayer to become frenzied on the battlefield, allowing their intuition to inform their every move on the battlefield. (...) Justification for the third eye interpretation can be found in the only non-Ghost-Type Pokémon to learn it by level up (besides the Vulpix family) being the Tentacool family, whose designs feature a sort of third eye with the placement of their lowest red bulge between the eyes where a third eye detail is placed on humans.
Note the Bronzor family and Darkrai were given Hex in Legends: Arceus. Granted, Tentacool family got it since its introduction, still when making the movesets in LA they decided Hex was still appropriate for those two new additions.

As for the third idea hypothesis, at least for Tentacool I'm not sure. Hex has been shown as either the user's eye glowing or creating two pairs of spectral eyes before the target is suddenly surrounded a purple mist that goes damage:
Tentacool could get it simply because the red "gems" on eitherside of its head look like a pair of glow red eyes. And with the Tentacool family being Poison-types and special attackers, it works well with their battling style.

But yea it's a giant walkaround and hopefully someone who can read Japanese will translate the text directly.
I can't help but feel that the Japanese text is also going to be just obscure.

Because, no matter how you look at it, it's just strange with way the move works. This sounds like a Move that was made with the effect in mind first (Ghost-type move that does double the damage if target is afflicted by a status condition), and they found something ghostly sounding to attach it too. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if that had Evil Eye as a name written down as a future potential move but just couldn't find anything to attach it to. Evil Eye can't be a trapping move cause we already have Mean Look (Japanese: Dark Look), couldn't give a curse as that's what Curse does (as well as Perish Song). This was probably decided as good enough, though the translation team decided to change it likely to remove any religious connection it could have, simply going with Hex.

Last edited:
Can I transfer my Infernape and Manaphy from USUM to BDSP?
Yes, but you'll first need a Bank subscription and a Home subscription. Don't forget that being able to add to your 3DS eShop balance goes away permanently next month.

Will Infernape retain its egg moves from the move relearner in BDSP?
No. Any Pokemon transferred into BDSP for the first time will receive a level-up moveset in BDSP and will not have access to its original moveset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)