[Online Competition] ~Spooky~ Cup (Halloween 2015)

Leftovers on Aegi won't get it very far. If you want it to provide Wide Guard support I think it needs a specially defensive spread so it can survive single-target moves such as Hydra's Specs Dark Pulse and Volcarona's Fiery Dance / Flamethrower after a Quiver Dance (Fire Blast OHKOes anyway but it's rarely used). I would use this:

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard
- Sacred Sword
- Flash Cannon

If you're stuck with Quiet coz you've already bred it / don't have time or whatever, then I would use 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 SpD which allows you to tank a Specs Dark Pulse from Hydra and a good chance (75%) of living +1 Fiery Dance from Volcarona, while also pumping up Flash Cannon for Granbull (still OHKOes non-Assault Vest Granbull).

Krookodile looks fine. If you wanted a little more bulk then you could drop the speed down to 188 EVs which when under Tailwind outspeeds +1 Jolly Scolipede and OHKO with Stone Edge, which means you can use 68 HP EVs (which also gives you a Life Orb number of 179 for minimizing the recoil).
Thanks! :D

I've been running Sash Volc with Bug Buzz / Fiery Dance / HP Rock / Protect, I really like it actually.

Sableye can so the same as Weezing but has reliable recovery and priority, but trades Def boosting for SpA. I think I'm gonna put him on my team alongside Weezing actually. There aren't really any good defensive choices here (hence the hyper offense) unfortunately. Rotom-W can go specially defensive and use Light Screen, Electro Web / Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp etc...
Thoughts on Muk? I faced a few yesterday and it might just be the defensive Poison type I'm looking for, as Scolipede's Fire and Flying weakness has been bugging me (mainly against Volcarona and Crobat). Muk has great Special bulk with Assault Vest or Black Sludge, allowing it to tank Heat Waves and Dark Pulses decently well from Hydreigon and Volcarona, and it can fire back with Rock Slide or Ice Punch.

I was thinking Poison Jab/Protect/Rock Slide/Shadow Sneak perhaps? I'm just not sure if I'll have enough time to get comfortable using it before the tournament starts.

Thoughts on Muk? I faced a few yesterday and it might just be the defensive Poison type I'm looking for, as Scolipede's Fire and Flying weakness has been bugging me (mainly against Volcarona and Crobat). Muk has great Special bulk with Assault Vest or Black Sludge, allowing it to tank Heat Waves and Dark Pulses decently well from Hydreigon and Volcarona, and it can fire back with Rock Slide or Ice Punch.

I was thinking Poison Jab/Protect/Rock Slide/Shadow Sneak perhaps? I'm just not sure if I'll have enough time to get comfortable using it before the tournament starts.
Muk is awesome. Ice Punch over Shadow Sneak though. unSTAB'd Shadow Sneak is so weak it's hardly worth picking off a sashed Galvantula 1 in every 10 battles.

Tourney has started. I am unleashing horror as we speak. I apologize in advance if I match up with someone here.

edit: The Japanese are online, I'm calling it a night for battles, I'm almost at my 10 battle/day limit anyway. Still almost undefeated though. Is anyone else seeing a suprising amount of Noivern and Drapion?

Last edited:
Muk is awesome. Ice Punch over Shadow Sneak though. unSTAB'd Shadow Sneak is so weak it's hardly worth picking off a sashed Galvantula 1 in every 10 battles.

Tourney has started. I am unleashing horror as we speak. I apologize in advance if I match up with someone here.

edit: The Japanese are online, I'm calling it a night for battles, I'm almost at my 10 battle/day limit anyway. Still almost undefeated though. Is anyone else seeing a suprising amount of Noivern and Drapion?
I've definitely seen more Noivern, Drapion and Zoroark than there were on showdown. Also. the battle limit is actually 15 battles per day for this competition. I'm currently 10-1, which is better than I expected, and I know the first few battles against low ranked players can be laughable, but I faced one guy who's scrappy Exploud Boomburst into a wide guard and OHKO'd his own Bannette turn 1. You'd think that people would at least think about their strategies before the competition...

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man I haven't even decided what I'm going to use besides Scarf Kabutops and Scolipede, or a team with Scarf Basculin with Soak + Shedinja...

I think I'll battle on Saturday and ask you guys how many electric / grass moves you're seeing first :P

I'm 11-4 for the first day with my CS Scrappy Exploud + Telepathy Noivern lead. I don't always lead with them if the opponent has pranksters or some other problematic mons but it is awesome when Boomburst takes out their 2 leads. I've had 2 people disconnect on me after that, and one forfeit.
I've seen a lot of Volcaronas, and Grandbulls but Scolipede usually wrecks them easily. Scarf Hydreigon surprised me once, but Noivern survived thanks to Haban berry, and OHKOd it in response.
This is my first competition so I've learned a lot. Krookodile with Knock Off wrecked my team once but I think I could have handled it better with Rotom-W.

2-1 so far...not high enough to see many common 'mons, but already ran into a "powerhouse" team. I was actually doing well against it until Focus Sash didn't work. I might have won the battle I lost if Volcarona's Focus Sash kicked in. I have no clue why it didn't; the mon was at full health.
Does the Infiltrator ability ignore Focus Sash?

2-1 so far...not high enough to see many common 'mons, but already ran into a "powerhouse" team. I was actually doing well against it until Focus Sash didn't work. I might have won the battle I lost if Volcarona's Focus Sash kicked in. I have no clue why it didn't; the mon was at full health.
Does the Infiltrator ability ignore Focus Sash?
Did it activate in any of the other battles? You might want to double check that it's not Focus Band...

Did it activate in any of the other battles? You might want to double check that it's not Focus Band...
I actually didn't get to use it in any of the other battles, but I triple-checked that I used the correct item, and it's definitely a Focus Sash, not a Focus Band.

Did my first 10 battles, went 9-1 with some really nice games. The worst bullshit of the day was a guy hitting 3 hypnosis, avoiding mega horn + some other move and activating quick claw on first attempt. Ha had no idea what he was doing though, and even used Toxic on my sleeping pokemon lol. Loss came after I lost a 50/50 prediction and a double protect attempt (not to mention I lost track of tailwind turns, with no PS to help me...).

Man I haven't even decided what I'm going to use besides Scarf Kabutops and Scolipede, or a team with Scarf Basculin with Soak + Shedinja...

I think I'll battle on Saturday and ask you guys how many electric / grass moves you're seeing first :P
Electric: Rotom-W is on almost every team. Volc / Hydreigon / Rotom-W are pretty much the entire meta. Galvantula here and there, about 1/10 matches; have not seen a non-STAB Electric move.
Grass: ... Gourgeist? Maybe? That one Parasect I saw may of had Seed Bomb too.

I'm 11-4 for the first day with my CS Scrappy Exploud + Telepathy Noivern lead. I don't always lead with them if the opponent has pranksters or some other problematic mons but it is awesome when Boomburst takes out their 2 leads. I've had 2 people disconnect on me after that, and one forfeit.
I've seen a lot of Volcaronas, and Grandbulls but Scolipede usually wrecks them easily. Scarf Hydreigon surprised me once, but Noivern survived thanks to Haban berry, and OHKOd it in response.
This is my first competition so I've learned a lot. Krookodile with Knock Off wrecked my team once but I think I could have handled it better with Rotom-W.
Don't underestimate Granbull, it is very much the biggest underrated threat in the tourney imho.
I applaud the use of Noivern's small niche in a meta plagued by Crobat though.

After rankings go up for the Spooky Cup, we should have a few people post teams, and make a leaderboard. imo.
I will of course share mine, you guys will laugh :P

I've actually got Basculin and Shedinja on my team and I brought them to 2 battles, but as project titan pointed out, Rotom-W is everywhere. Sableye and Dusclops (which often have will-o-wisp), have also prevented me from bringing them as well as the occasional Trevenant, Tangrowth or Parasect. Both times I did bring them, Shedinja survived the entire battle, but I had to improvise for one of them when a Gengar unexpectedly had energy ball. I may have been able to bring them more often, but it would be a risk. I knew that this gimmick wouldn't be too effective, but I wanted to have fun with this competition. If you are planning on having a fully competitive team, I wouldn't advise soak+sheninja because it takes up 2 valuable spaces in your party.

I'm currently 21-9 and I've had a lot of hax go both ways so you never know what's going to happen. This might be the most hax-ridden meta since most strategies rely on imperfect accuracy moves, which leaves me guilty and frustrated, so I'm trying not to focus too much on the results.

Last edited:
I've actually got Basculin and Shedinja on my team and I brought them to 2 battles, but as project titan pointed out, Rotom-W is everywhere. Sableye and Dusclops (which often have will-o-wisp), have also prevented me from bringing them as well as the occasional Trevenant, Tangrowth or Parasect. Both times I did bring them, Shedinja survived the entire battle, but I had to improvise for one of them when a Gengar unexpectedly had energy ball. I may have been able to bring them more often, but it would be a risk. I knew that this gimmick wouldn't be too effective, but I wanted to have fun with this competition. If you are planning on having a fully competitive team, I wouldn't advise soak+sheninja because it takes up 2 valuable spaces in your party.

I'm currently 21-9 and I've had a lot of hax go both ways. This might be the most hax-ridden meta since most strategies rely on imperfect accuracy moves, which leaves me guilty and frustrated, so I'm trying not to focus too much on the results.
You have not seen hax until you have seen me. Also, the accuracy answer is Gravity Meowstic/Sableye.
Cruelty won the coinflip this time. So far, I have no regrets. There will be a briny pit in Tartarus for me.
2 narrow losses, the rest are 2-0 at worst. Don't use Shedinja; Soak on the other hand is an amazing move and is very much worth considering. It's much deadlier used against your foe, than on yourself.
If you really want Soakinja, bring Disable.

Electric: Rotom-W is on almost every team. Volc / Hydreigon / Rotom-W are pretty much the entire meta. Galvantula here and there, about 1/10 matches; have not seen a non-STAB Electric move.
Grass: ... Gourgeist? Maybe? That one Parasect I saw may of had Seed Bomb too.

Don't underestimate Granbull, it is very much the biggest underrated threat in the tourney imho.
I applaud the use of Noivern's small niche in a meta plagued by Crobat though.

After rankings go up for the Spooky Cup, we should have a few people post teams, and make a leaderboard. imo.
I will of course share mine, you guys will laugh :P
My day 2 was worse, I ended up 9-6, 20-10 overall. I think I misplayed a few times but it has been fun.
Noivern is pretty good and I'm seeing it a lot, both Telepathy, and Frisk variants. I'm finding it extremely valuable because it can outspeed and OHKO most Hydreigon (there was a bulky one that didn't die though). I just wish Super Fang could hit Ghosts.
Surprisingly, I didn't see any Granbull nor Weavile today but there were a lot of Volcarona, Hydreigon, Rotom-W, and Aegislash. I also saw 2 rain dance teams with Kabutops, and a Trick Room team with Cofragigus.
I'm definitely posting my team after this is over.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
So the first day I went 4-3. I had to stop playing due to time constraints but I would've stopped anyway due to a significant amount of hax (not as bad as ProjectTitan's from a while ago) that mostly involved missing my 90% accuracy moves multiple times. Also lost to minimize Chandelure.

The second day I went 16-2 getting just above 1700. The two losses were from missing moves but I expected a few losses from inaccurate moves so it's fine. So far I'm wishing I had brought Krookodile because of the amount of trouble I've had against it. Weavile, Noivern, Drapion, Sableye, and Pikachu have been more popular than on showdown. I haven't seen many Exploud though. I've also only seen one Kabutops so far.

I'm 3-1 and not sure I'm going to continue; I still haven't figured out why Focus Sash didn't kick in when it should have, and if it's some glitch and could happen again, then that means I'm down a team member. I'm also not too interested in the thought of running into the "powerhouse" teams should I continue to win my matches (the Hydreigon/Rotom-W/Volcarona/Aegislash teams). It kind of feels like how it felt watching the Worlds finals (sans the Seniors division finals).

My second battle was actually against a powerhouse team (why Battle Spot matched me up with someone who was 1,000 points above me, I don't know), and just like on Showdown, it was a boring match. I see other people saying they're running into other types of teams, but with my luck, I'll just keep running into the powerhouse ones (especially if I keep winning my matches).
I mean, I battled someone who used Sharpedo and Cacturne, and it was one of the most fun I'd had in my matches because I could only guess what to expect.

I don't think I have to worry about finishing in dead last at 3-1, and as long as I'm not in danger of that, I'm done. I'd rather see interesting teams with interesting strategies (like a rain team, or a trick room team, or rage powder or spore being used) rather than the "powerhouse" four running the meta. Then again, I'm just strange. XD

Sitting at 1670 after 18 battles, so that's a decent start I guess. The hax almost makes me wanna cry, but we've all experienced it in this crappy meta where every viable move either is inaccurate or has a secondary effect. Lost to a 1700 player due to rock slide miss + low damage roll :/ Also lost to a fake tears + ally switch cofagrigus winning all the 50/50 plays lol. But that was certainly something different, and it sure had potential with exploud in the back.

My best pokemon have been Crobat and Rotom I'd say. I absolutely love their sets...

EDIT: Halfway through I'm 19-4, ~1705 rating.
EDIT 2: 24-4, ~1770, destroying people with offense. Also had an simply insane victory that I'll make sure to share with you later.

Last edited:
Just started today since I had to do some last minute breeding, and as expected, not doing so hot...I'm about 1 under .500 thus far.

I won't reveal which poke it is yet, but I always seem to make a last minute add to my team that ends up being 100% useless.

It was Suckfisk in the Pika Cup (my first tour and that was brutal, but I did make some mistakes in his set to be fair...), Altaria in the Primal comp (couldn't take 1 hit from the Primals or their partners even with Mega'ed), and this thing in the Spooky cup. It's actually not a bad mon overall (it's OU tier'ed) it just doesn't stand a chance against most of the larger threats in the tour.

I was going to replace it with Exploud last minute, but I didn't have time to farm for BP etc for the set I had planned.

Any who, I played enough for my 10 Rare Candies, so I'll play a few more matches in a laughable attempt to climb over the .500 mark, but overall: off to breeding for the Scrappy Cup which I should fair much better in.

Last edited:
Just started today since I had to do some last minute breeding, and as expected, not doing so hot...I'm about 1 under .500 thus far.

I won't reveal which poke it is yet, but I always seem to make a last minute add to my team that ends up being 100% useless.

It was Suckfisk in the Pika Cup (my first tour and that was brutal, but I did make some mistakes in his set to be fair...), Altaria in the Primal comp (couldn't take 1 hit from the Primals or their partners even with Mega'ed), and this thing in the Spooky cup. It's actually not a bad mon overall (it's OU tier'ed) it just doesn't stand a chance against most of the larger threats in the tour.

I was going to replace it with Exploud last minute, but I didn't have time to farm for BP etc for the set I had planned.

Any who, I played enough for my 10 Rare Candies, so I'll play a few more matches in a laughable attempt to climb over the .500 mark, but overall: off to breeding for the Scrappy Cup which I should fair much better in.
I don't know my exact score, just that I earned enough points to be over 1500, so I'm fine with that. I might play again tomorrow since by then, the serious competitors will be in the high 1600's and 1700's, so my chances of encountering boring powerhouse teams will be lower...but I'm most likely just going to leave my 3-1 as is. Between that and finishing 12-4 in the Pikachu Cup, I figure it's not bad for a noob who refuses to use cookie-cutter/powerhouse teams (my aversion to those go back to when I used to play MtG and the YGO TCGs). XD

I'm still new into competitive, but looking forward to the Scrappy Cup...no Rotoms running the meta! Or any huge powerhouses usually found in doubles (and even some of the terrors which run the tiers)! People will actually have to THINK instead of just throw together the most powerful pokemon allowed (uh, no offense to anyone running a powerhouse team/core...I just personally find such a thing dull and unimaginative, and would rather see more creative sets)! I'm already starting a list of my favorite pokemon (as none of them are banned) to see which ones I wanna use...as well as list the mons I predict will show up on powerhouse teams.

Anyways, g'luck to those still participating in the Spooky Cup!

I've mainly been using Shadow Sneak to pick off weakened Volcarona, various Sash Pokemon like Weavile, and also Gengar, which I've been seeing a surprising amount of. My team has plenty of ways to deal with Hydreigon (Granbull and Volcarona). and Poison Jab's damage is only slightly weaker (and that's only if you land that 51% chance of poison), and Rock Slide works fine against Crobat. The only time I missed Ice Punch is against Gliscor, which my team strangely has issues with.

I originally wrote off Gengar, but it might actually be better than I thought (or maybe my team just has issues with it). It knocks out Hydreigon immediately with Dazzling Gleam, and outspeeds Volcarona.

As a side note, isn't it 15 battles a day? (it used to be 10 a while back for other competitions).

I don't know my exact score, just that I earned enough points to be over 1500, so I'm fine with that. I might play again tomorrow since by then, the serious competitors will be in the high 1600's and 1700's, so my chances of encountering boring powerhouse teams will be lower...but I'm most likely just going to leave my 3-1 as is. Between that and finishing 12-4 in the Pikachu Cup, I figure it's not bad for a noob who refuses to use cookie-cutter/powerhouse teams (my aversion to those go back to when I used to play MtG and the YGO TCGs). XD

I'm still new into competitive, but looking forward to the Scrappy Cup...no Rotoms running the meta! Or any huge powerhouses usually found in doubles (and even some of the terrors which run the tiers)! People will actually have to THINK instead of just throw together the most powerful pokemon allowed (uh, no offense to anyone running a powerhouse team/core...I just personally find such a thing dull and unimaginative, and would rather see more creative sets)! I'm already starting a list of my favorite pokemon (as none of them are banned) to see which ones I wanna use...as well as list the mons I predict will show up on powerhouse teams.

Anyways, g'luck to those still participating in the Spooky Cup!
Sounds like where in agreement overall. I don't mind powerful Pokes, but I always try to do something different with my sets.

I could have easily just breeded a sound proof Mr. Mime with the Exploud I had and just BoomBurst'ed everyone not expected it to hell and had a lot more wins, but it was way too similar to my Primal Cup Strat and I wanted to do something a little different. (Not to mention Mr.Mime actually gives me the creeps...) I actually got a handful of wins mainly because I Ev'ed a common poke often used as a Tank as a physical sweeper and it caught players expecting the same 4 moves off guard and lead to a few free KO's with it left standing as the main offensive threat (lol).

Right now though, I'm about 15-14, which is probably somewhere in the 1500 teens. I've always said if I ever started to get blasted like I did in the Pika Cup, I'd just stop playing so anything under say a 1400 and I'm done lol. I'm really only playing this tour for fun and the reward anyway, so I'd be just fine if I didn't even play another match.

As far as the Scrappy cup, I'm excited for it for the reasons you mentioned, but I kind of wish they waited for this tour to end before they released the banlist. I doubt we'll see too much carry over as a lot of these mons other than the powerhouses are lower tier (UU and under) but I'd love to see the top 12 from this tour not usable as well for a completely fresh Tour.

But at least the ones I'm the most sick of seeing are banhammered, so I say that's good enough.

Last edited:
Sounds like where in agreement overall. I don't mind powerful Pokes, but I always try to do something different with my sets.

I could have easily just breeded a sound proof Mr. Mime with the Exploud I had and just BoomBurst'ed everyone not expected it to hell and had a lot more wins, but it was way too similar to my Primal Cup Strat and I wanted to do something a little different. (Not to mention Mr.Mime actually gives me the creeps...) I actually got a handful of wins mainly because I Ev'ed a common poke often used as a Tank as a physical sweeper and it caught players expecting the same 4 moves off guard and lead to a few free KO's with it left standing as the main offensive threat (lol).

And right now though, I'm about 15-14, which is probably somewhere in the 1500 teens. I've always said if I ever started to get blasted like I did in the Pika Cup, I'd just stop playing so anything under say a 1400 and I'm done lol. I'm really only playing this tour for fun and the reward anyway, so I'd be just fine if I didn't even play another match.

As far as the Scrappy cup, I'm excited for it for the reasons you mentioned, but I kind of wish they waited for this tour to end before they released the banlist. I doubt we'll see too much carry over as a lot of these mons other than the powerhouses are lower tier (UU and under) but I'd love to see the top 12 from this tour not usable as well for a completely fresh Tour.

But at least the ones I'm the most sick of seeing are banhammered, so I say that's good enough.
Totally agree. I caught a few people off guard just by using Meowstic on my team. XD
Also was just playing for fun, so I don't mind my record, either.

And, yea...I was disappointed to see that they didn't wait for the top 12 in this competition, too. True, though; the ones which will probably be in at least the top are already on the list (Rotom, Hydreigon, Aegislash...I expect Rotom and Hydreigon to be in the top 3 for the Spooky Cup, and perhaps Crobat a little down the list, as well as Volcarona).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)