Announcement np: SV OU Suspect Process, Round 9 - Let It Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

Hello everyone, the OU tiering council has decided to test Kyurem!

Kyurem has been controverial since it was released with DLC2's drop during December. After it gained new tools last generation such as Freeze Dry and Dragon Dance, Kyurem got banned from OU for the first time ever here. This time around Kyurem has lost a noteworthy tool in Roost, but it still has a menacing offensive presence that has limited counterplay. After receiving significant survey support with a 3.6/5 from qualified players and 3.3/5 from the general playerbase, the SV OU tiering council has decided to suspect Kyurem!

Kyurem uses a few different sets in the current metagame. The most common variant is Heavy-Duty Boots with an all-out-attacking approach. It uses the STAB combination of Ice Beam and Freeze Dry to hit the vast majority of opposing Pokemon. Throw in Earth Power as a coverage option to hit Steel types like Gholdengo, Kingambit, and Heatran or select Poison types like Slowking-Galar or Iron Moth and you have near perfect coverage. To round out the set, there are a plethora of options ranging from Draco Meteor to hit hard, Scale Shot to function as a sweeper, Rock Slide to hit select Fire types like Volcarona or Moltres, Blizzard for extra power when paired with Chilly Reception, Substitute to deter status and limit prediction reliance, and so on. Kyurem has the ability to account for virtually any form of potential counterplay across its options without even going into fringe picks. This is largely thanks to its amazing attacking STABs and stats, which also lend themselves well to other variants.

Many people also cite the Choice Specs variant as being an elite breaker in the metagame, forcing teams to struggle to switch-in while it still possesses impressive natural bulk. Of course, the downside of it is reliance on hazard removal or deflection such as Great Tusk or Hatterene respectively, but if you can get over this barrier to entry, then Choice Specs Kyurem is a major threat to the entire metagame aside from Blissey. Prediction reliance does exist as you can scout what it locks into with Pokemon like Slowking-Galar, but durable Ice resists are few-and-far-between right now, enabling Specs Kyurem to make progress regardless of pivoting in many scenarios. Besides from these two variants, some people opt to use Dragon Dance, especially in tandem with Loaded Dice. It has access to Icicle Spear and Scale Shot as multi-hit STAB options and Kyurem frequently runs Tera Blast on this set with either Ground, Fire, or Electric typing to hit any foes that are able to withstand its STAB attacks. This set is less consistent and more support intensive, but viable and occasionally potent nonetheless.

Kyurem does have some flaws as the standard variant is limited in breaking prowess due to relying on Heavy-Duty Boots rather than a boosting item, other variants are quite vulnerable to omnipresent entry hazards, and numerous Pokemon can serve as situational checks, which cover a lot of ground when piloted properly. For example, Morning Sun Volcarona and Chilly Reception Slowking-Galar can do well into a good amount of Kyurem variants, but Volcarona can die to Rock Slide, struggle with fully physical variants, or lose outright to Choice Specs Draco Meteor while Slowking-Galar fears physical variants as well and the occasional Tera Ground Earth Power. Moreover, Pokemon like Blissey can be great special tanks, which is enough usually, but it does not cover Dragon Dance variants and is restricted to predominantly bulkier playstyles. Offensive teams tend to take advantage of Kyurem's average speed tier, but even then it is bulky enough to withstand attacks and at least trade fairly often. It is very true that they can minimize Kyurem's entry though, which goes a long way relative to some other playstles.

Regarding Tera, Kyurem has a wide array of options ranging from Tera Ice and Ground to boost its common attacking moves to defensive prospects like Tera Fairy to help with Sucker Punch Kingambit, Draco Meteor Dragapult, and other Pokemon like Gouging Fire after a Dragon Dance, Zamazenta, or Iron Valiant. Against it, numerous Pokemon opt to use situational defensive Tera to stop Kyurem, but in the long haul it is hard for any individual type to combat it thanks to great coverage options. Sometimes one turn or one sequence is enough to flip the script though, making it a valid note in the greater discussion of Kyurem in SV OU.

All in all, Kyurem is a menacing offensive threat with a couple of very strong sets and even more options, making reliably checking it a challenge in the current metagame. Some people note that aggressive offensive counterplay can minimize it while certain specific defensive answers exist, which is very much the case. However, others believe that this is not enough and Kyurem leaves balance teams filled with Slowking-Galar backbones, limiting teambuilding as we know it in the tier. It will be up to the suspect voters to determine how they feel on Kyurem in SV OU during this test!

• Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test!!! The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE will suffice.
GXEminimum games

• You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be OUOG. For example, I might signup with the ladder account OUOG Finch.
  • Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
  • We will be using the regular OU ladder for this suspect test. We will not be creating a new Suspect Ladder. At the beginning of every battle, there will be an announcement denoting the ongoing suspect with a link to this thread.
  • The suspect being tested, Kyurem, will be allowed on the ladder.
  • Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
  • Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
  • Unlike previous tests, we will be posting the voting identification thread immediately after this thread. Your voting requisites will be confirmed by a Council member or OU moderator, to which we will edit in confirmation. Please avoid getting more games before getting confirmed.
  • The suspect test will be lasting until Friday, February 2nd at 11:59 pm (GMT-5), and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
    • THIS IS A SLIGHTLY SHORTER TEST THAN NORMAL AS WE ATTEMPT TO BALANCE THE METAGAME AFTER THE RELEASE OF DLC. PLEASE NOTE THIS WHEN PLANNING TO GET VOTING REQUIREMENTS!!!
This thread will be open to allow all users to share their thoughts on this suspect test and discuss with one another their thoughts. However, this thread will be strictly moderated, moreso than the average OU forum thread. Our moderators will apply discretion as to what is appropriate. You are not allowed to post about other potential suspects or bans. Please read and keep in mind the following before posting:

• No unhelpful one liners nor uninformed posts;
  • No discussion on other potential suspects -- if you wish to discuss another Pokemon, we encourage you to do so in the metagame discussion thread, but this thread is strictly to discuss if Kyurem is banworthy or not;
  • No discussion on the suspect process -- this includes testing Kyurem vs other potential suspects;
  • You are required to make respectful posts;
  • You are required to read this thread before posting.
  • Failure to follow these simple guidelines will result in your post being deleted and infracted without any prior warning.
  • Please also take a moment to read over some suggestions from the OU Council and the OU Moderation team for posting in this thread; adhering these will help out our time moderating the thread and present your arguments better and more educated.
    • Do not argue because it's your favorite Pokemon. This should be common sense, but please don't do this, because we will delete posts like this.
    • You do not need a boatload of experience to have an informed opinion, but please try to minimize the theorymon aspect and use your experiences watching and playing. Playing some on the ladder before posting is plenty if you're concerned about this.
    • Do not flame, belittle, or be disrespectful to users in this thread. While not everyone will read this post in its entirety nor will everyone have an informed opinion, please be sure not to be disrespectful. If there's an issue, bring it up to a moderator.
    • Do not use the argument of broken checking broken. Should your argument rest on your opinion that banning the Pokemon or mechanic being tested in this suspect test will make a Pokemon or mechanic broken, overpowered, and/or uncompetitive; don't. If something needs to be banned because of the result this suspect, then so be it.
    • This thread is not to voice complaints about the suspect process or decisions of the council. While we are more than open to hearing complaints that may arise, this isn't the place for it. I suggest you message the OU Council, PM our Tier Leaders, Finchinator and Ruft, or make a post in Senior Staff requests, should you have a badge.
Should you have any questions about the suspect test, feel free to message the OU Council. And if you have any questions about the moderation of this thread, feel free to message the OU Forum Leaders. I am tagging Kris and Marty to let them know about this, too.

Keep in mind that our suspect tests are decided by the community; anyone who rightfully achieves voting requisites is allowed to vote. The outcome is up to you.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I intend to vote ban on Kyurem. It is not a slam dunk vote like some (will inevitably) imply, but it does not have numerous enough counterplay. What counterplay it does have is more circumstantial (tera and set dependent) as opposed to universalized, too.

Boots Kyurem is already potent, but with the right Tera, which is an underrated facet of Kyurem's presence, it is able to flip a would-be revenge kill (i.e: Fairy vs Pult or Zama) or would-be check (i.e: Ground vs GKing). Specs is a top-tier breaking option and while it is support intensive, the upside is hard to replicate. Built-in synergy with common pivots like GKing of your own, Gliscor, Meow, and so on makes it easy to use despite not fulfilling too many sticking points in the threatlist you need to account for when building balance or bulky-offense, too.

Offensive teams can at least minimize Kyurem like most average or slow speed Pokemon, but even then natural bulk allows for it to hold its own there at the very least. I feel like balances are forced to run the same GKing structures a ton largely due to Kyurem (and slightly due to weather, too). If you deviate and run things like Volcarona, then you risk Rock Slide/Scale Shot -- same can apply to other shaky "checks" like Clefable (limited recovery, freeze risk a ton, dies to Tera Ice or Specs), Gambit (switches in once and loses to most Tera options), balloon Ghold (does the deed one time), and so on. Stuff like Weavile are cool metagame adaptations recently that can keep Kyurem minimized once or twice over; we can say the same about Scizor on offense or AV Hoopa-U on bulky-o, but nothing is overly reliable. It just feels too flimsy and to warp teambuilding. I am not even sure it is the most broken/pressing thing right now, but Kyurem does fit under the category of broken to me and I am happy to vote ban.

I'm fairly mixed on Kyurem atm and will likely need to collect my thoughts while laddering for the suspect test. Compared to the offensive Ice-types we banned in the past, I do think it is a noticeable step down from all of them. It is a massive threat in the builder and potentially in practice, but I do think it runs into a few roadblocks.

I don't think it's a controversial take to say DD is not a broken set. Compared to Baxcalibur, it runs into a number of issues. For one, it is locked into running Loaded Dice as a held item to attain reliable Ice and Dragon stab, which is pretty bad in this metagame where hazards are quite OP. This set is Tera reliant for coverage and even after it Terastalizes, I still believe there are a decent enough responses to it in the metagame such Corv, Skarm, Heatran (depending on which Tera Blast type it is) Gaeg, Archaludon, Dozo, Gambit, Primarina, etc. I don't find this set to be a particularly extraordinary cleaner next to other options like Iron Valiant, Gambit, Volcarona, etc.

Choice Specs is the most immediately scary set and this set can chain KO after KO vs certain structures, but.... I still feel it isn't quite as invincible in practice. This sets threat level is highest when the match starts, where it is able to exert the most pressure due to not being limited by hazards. But as soon as hazards are set, it's threat level tapers off. Admitting, Kyurem does have good entry points vs some of the various hazard setters like Lando-T, but Kyurem still runs into the same 50/50 dilemmas other specs users like Walking Wake run into vs structures with a bulky steel like Gambit + a ground immune or Volcarona + Fairy. Freeze dry does give this pokemon a lot of leeway, but the penalty for this Pokemon guessing incorrectly is far worse due to its rocks weakness. I've found that I can get away with more temporary answers to this set because its threat level is temporary, like Balloon Gambit or Ghold or a handful of AV moves. Calling it more oppressive than other specs users like Ghold or Walking Wake (both of which I think are fine) is a stretch.

Boots is likely the best set. Most self sufficient, no hazards weakness, freedom to switch moves. This set is good, but I am not entirely sold on it being broken just yet, as the breaking power is noticeably lower than specs and the lack of Roost is a big blow to its longevity.

I think there is a lot of merit into keeping an ice type like Kyurem given the power of Rain and Balance currently, so I do think we should exert some caution before immediately trying to get rid of this mon.

My thoughts on Kyurem is that it is busted, as even with one set it can become the best breaker in the tier.

Let's look at specs, which right now seems to be the best set, though boots sets I suspect will rise in the future. Specs kyurem is basically unwallable right now. The best option you have is to use slowking-galar, which can be destroyed by tera ground earth power, or by using blissey, which can be destroyed by other kyurem sets and is relegated to stallier teams. The sheer coverage of steel + ice + ground is insane, with freeze dry making sure that no water types can switch in. Now, this set's main problem is hazards, which you would think would be a major limiting factor in such a hazard infested metagame. This assumption is wrong, because kyurem only needs one or two opportunities to get in, and if you go the extra mile to get hazards off, this thing is unwallable for all the game, compared to being chipped at the start of the game. It severly limits balance teams and even more offensive teams have to trade it due to its spectacular 125/90/90 bulk meaning it can take hits decently well, which isn't something a wall breaker should do while having 95 speed, which equates to 317 at timid, crucially gets the jump on tusk at 300. It can also fit in stuff like rock slide to hit volc or shadow ball to destroy even balloon ghold, which is insane when a mon can just destroy some of its usual checks. Overall, this set can easily break holes open on opposing teams, and if this was the only set it could still be banworthy, but that isn't the case.

Boots sets I'll touch on briefly, since they share a lot with specs sets. In exchange for some firepower, boots sets increase kyurem's longevity and give it the option to switch up its moves, which is one of the only ways you can even try to not get destroyed by the specs sets. While it is a bit less common, at least from my experience, it is most likely the best set. Yes, you do lose power, and that can be crucial in some scenarios, but the flexibility is insane. Sub can be used on this set to take advantage of switches and make answers not only be able to take a hit, but also outspeed it. Dragon dance can be used as well to boost it's speed while securing endgames better. Speaking of dragon dance...

The dragon dance set is the least prominent set of kyurem, but is no less deadly. Although you have to be basically forced into using loaded dice to take advantage of scale shot and icicle spear, that concession is well worth it. After one dragon dance, kyurem is outspeeding most of the tier except for a few choice scarfers and booster speed mons, which can destroyed by kyurem's moves. Tera blast can even be fit onto this set to destroy some would be counters like skarmory or heatran. The fact that the usual set's counters do not counter dd sets can make it even more terrifying, severly restricting team building, as if it didn't already.

In conclusion, I believe kyurem to be severly restricting on SV teambuilding and that it must go. The negatives of this mon can either be negated by little support or are overidden by the numerous positives that come from running this mon.

Having used Kyurem since the start of DLC2 (although I haven't really come across many others), I'm trying to sort of understand what is so strong about Kyurem to where it could be potentially banworthy.

While I understand 125/90/90 is incredible bulky, each of its sets has significant drawbacks to where it can be handled (obviously the versatility can be the issue in of itself though). Although Specs has incredible power and Freeze-Dry alone is insane coverage, the inability to boost its speed makes possible to be revenge killed (or forced out) depending on what it has locked into and it needs hazard removal support to be able to come in safely multiple times.

HDB lacks immediate power but makes up for it with its coverage (if special), the ability to boost speed where needed if running Scale Shot and is able to come in multiple times. If its Boots are Knocked Off then it becomes Specs but without the power at all.

Loaded Dice (while it's Baxcalibur at home) is vulnerable to Knock as SS and IS become much more inconsistent, can be Burned unlike Bax and needs to Tera to have all the coverage it needs to pull off a sweep.

While I'm not saying Kyurem is bad, it's absolutely a top 5 mon, I just believe that every set comes with counterplay and while that versatility can make it hard to build for, it's not impossible to work around.

If I do get reqs, as of right now I will vote NO BAN.

I've been using kyurem from the start of the DLC2. So yeah I totally agree that it is busted it's fire power is comparable to gen 7 tapu lele (except the terrain) and stab ice beam is never bad . It paired very well will galarian slowking setting up snow and also getting increase in it's defense making it a extremely physically tanky and in some sets abuses the snow even further by using 100% accurate blizzards in snow . It is kind of clear that it's main viable set is specs , dragon dance is also decent but really relies on Tera to break past common mons like Kingambit, Gholdengo and Heatran which is kind of gimmicky. I personally prefer Tera poison on specs kyurem to tank common fighting and fairy moves and neutral all of the other weakness . It's bulk is comparable to raging bolt and has a good speed tier which outspeeds common mons like Great Tusk , Gholdengo , Hisuian samurott . So overall it is a balanced mon and a good stall breaker which nukes through anything that is not a blissey. So as of right now I will vote NO BAN.

No ban, kyurem is rather balanced and I wouldn't like to let it go so soon. I think we should give the meta a bit more time before suspecting some pokemon

also biggest issue is that ur weak to every hazard with no boots and without specs u cant break common mons like slowking-g, garganacl or volcarona
also speed is not enough for it to function on HO teams so kyurem players are pretty much forced to use it on bulky balance with some sort of hazard control

I haven't seen dd icicle spear in gen 9 so far, I think that set was part of the reason why it was banned in gen 8

no roost sucks as well + dragon/ice has many weaknesses

I think kyurem is also weak to like every booster energy mon: valiant, boulder, tusk (after spin or speed booster), gouging fire and crown should also beat it

AK

formerly akalli
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Will be voting ban, I don’t think the strain it puts on team building is healthy at all, defensive counterplay being slowking galar or bust really isn’t enough (and like, if you get frozen then the game is literally over) and sometimes that isn’t even enough as it’ll get put in Kyurem range pretty easily. I also don’t think the mons that force you to Tera in front of them are healthy at all considering how important keeping your Tera and how abusable it can be.

Nobody cares about the dd set and I would extend that to the specs set aswell as u rly have to have a strong structure around it, boots set is the only one that’s super problematic to me so I don’t have interest in using these sets are arguments

Sure it sucks against offense I agree, but then we might aswell unban stuff like chiyu since it loses to booster valiant, boulder, packing heat, great tusk

tldr literally just special baxcalibur, get it out the tier and open up team building a little, will also echo Finch idt it should be top priority but it’s definitely part of the problem and I don’t think the order really matters too much

Last edited:

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
i have been rather busy and thus havent made much progress on laddering past a few failed attempts, but i do intend on acquiring suspect reqs later this week so that i can vote to ban kyurem

losing roost was a massive blow for sure, and it was one i thought was going to be a major hindrance for it in this hazard-infested metagame. but as it turns out, kyurem is still overbearing for similar reasons as it was last generation. it has a variety of different sets to account for in teambuilding and all of them have very limited checks and counters, and each of them differ depending on the set. answers to HDB kyurem can easily crumble to DD or choice specs, physical walls that can handle DD kyurem get obliterated by choice specs, and so on and so forth. and it's not like kyurem is a frail pokemon that easily gets run over by offensive teams, this mon has 125/90/90 bulk which is only further accentuated by snow from alolan ninetales or chilly reception. by no means something you can just quickly get rid of before it does anything, especially given kyurem's spectacular use of tera. it doesnt even have to be a defensively oriented tera type such as tera fairy, you could run tera dragon, ground or even ice to flip your matchup against a would-be revenge killer on its head.

TLDR: kyurem broken

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I’m currently laddering for reqs and I’ve considered voting ban a long time ago.

Kyurem’s wallbreaking potential is too restraining for teambuilding. Defensive structures are pigeonholed into Gking + Steel or Volc because otherwise Specs Kyu blows past everything. HDB tho I would argue to be the most broken set despite the lesser power, as well as being able to fish for freeze procs or Tera to blow past Gking.

As the days go by, Kyurem gets more broken. People have ditched Draco on HDB sets to snipe Volc with Rock Slide/Stone Edge. Also just saying, there’s no need to run Tera Ice. You’re Kyurem, you are a nuke either way. Instead you use Tera to erase your one weakness and that is being an Ice type. Either Tera Ground to 2HKO Gking with HDB and to block Thunderclap or Tera Fairy to resist Fighting types and Sucker while 1v1 other Dragons. This is without mentioning you shed your SR weakness. Even vs HO, Kyurem’s bulk and access to defensive Tera lets it pick off 1-2 kills.

I’m not huge on DD tho. It’s very Tera reliant and easy to see coming on HO builds, also being slow for a setup sweeper.

Banning Kyurem would arguably make handling the other threats like Raging Bolt, Rain, and SD Gliscor easier. Hydrapple could be fit onto Balance as a Kyu replacement but also a check to Barra and SD Gliscor. Weavile is already a top Ice type in OU that could take Kyurem’s place. The tier is not short of ways to break fat, and those balance breakers would find an easier place on teams without Kyu restraining teambuilding and being competition to them.

Probably goes to BAN territory right now, I'm still some games away to see if I could vote for the suspect test but I agree Kyurem to be on the upper edge, especially because of it's insane versatility between DD, specs and all out attackers or even scarf. I don't remember when but I have even faced CB before and lose my Blissey when using stall. That match told me that Kyurem is definitely on the upper edge still, despite the loss of roost that make physical sets worse.

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
I got reqs last night, definitely voting ban.

I do disagree heavily with most of the other pro banners, I see boots as not at all problematic while specs and dragon dance are broken.

Boots Kyurem doesn't have the power to break through common special walls while nearly every offensive mon that isn't frail or weak to it's hits easily lives and can outspeed + 1 or 2hko boots variants. Specs has very limited counterplay, especially when combined with hazard removers like Great Tusk and Iron Treads, and can even terastalize to remove the rocks weakness for itself. While offensive teams can just throw bodies at it until it dies, slower paced teams have barely anything to work with. Even Slowking Galar, which completely hard counters boots sets, cannot withstand the specs Earth Powers and Ice Beams. DD is literally just Baxcalibur except it has to terastalize for a willo immunity, nearly any "counter" to DD Kyurem can be invalidated with Tera Blast or Freeze Dry. I think DD is even the most threatening set by far to every teamstyle except some stalls and fat balances, only Skeledirge can consistently beat it without fearing coverage moves however Kyurems mere presence limits Skeledirge by forcing it to not terastalize, opening up huge opportunities for other teammates.

Kyurem does limit rain, but that is the only positive it brings in my eyes and I'd rather Kyurem ban -> rain ban then preserve Kyurem to keep rain in check.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Got reqs earlier than usual, so it's time to post. As always, I'll start with what I consider to be the best set, and argue why that set is too much. In Kyurem's case, I think Boots>Leftovers>NMI>Specs>Loaded Dice DD, but all of these sets are solid with the right support.

Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers / Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ground / Fairy / Steel
EVs: 56 HP / 228 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide / Blizzard / Ice Beam / Scale Shot

Boots on bootspam teams, and I think Sub+Leftovers is cool if you can provide hazard removal. Rock Slide snipes Volcarona, Blizzard can be used in conjunction with Chilly Reception (and Slowking-Galar is an excellent partner to Kyurem anyway, covering Fairy+Fighting weaknesses and forming an anti-sun+rain core). Scale Shot can boost speed and make you harder to revenge kill, and ice beam is a solid, slightly stronger stab.

I think the biggest part of what makes Kyurem broken is the freeze dry+earth power coverage. With these 2 moves alone, you have nearly unresisted coverage and you can customize the rest of your moveslots however you want, giving you extraordinary flexibility. Slowking-Galar is one of the few consistent switch-ins to this kyurem set, but it's also helpless when kyurem decides to tera ground/steel and sub up. Part of the problem is that you cannot defensively tera to react to freeze dry+ep coverage. It's not unlike Ursaluna-BloodMoon in this respect, where you could tera poison to resist your revenge killing attempts, but your opponent could not tera back to prevent Minds Eye+Blood Moon+Earth Power from shredding everything. Kyurem is not as blatantly broken as ursabm, but I find that being unable to defensively tera to hinder kyurem is a major problem.

Being forced into glowking as your only reliable kyurem answer on any BO/Balance team is really lame, and the teambuilding strain is just forcing lots of samey structures or forcing you go offensive, and that's not healthy for the tier. Tera Ground can 2hko glowking, Tera Steel+Sub can hard wall it and freely attack into it. Volcarona gets rock slided. Tera Steel+Levitate Rotom-Wash cannot touch Sub sets. Even sets like sdef tera fairy garg lose to the Tera Steel Sub+Protect set I brought to SPL. Every answer you think you have, Kyurem can find its way around, because it only really needs freeze dry+earth power.

Pretty straighforward BAN vote from me.

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Got reqs.

I've spoken to multiple people who play the metagame, and usually the question was asked is when (not if) Kyurem would get banned via a suspect or council vote. Majority of people in general feel like its a bit overwhelming and I tend to agree and I'll break down why.

This is a suspect vote I care for once, and specifically Kyurem being in the tier is why I decided to play less SV OU and dive into different metas for the past month. It puts an extreme strain on teambuilding specifically if you build a team without the mind of giving a shit to prepare a mon it will completely annihilate the normal build. People are constantly saying there's counterplay yeah of course there's counterplay what do you do when Ice Beam / Freeze Dry (freezes) your only counterplay? I guess that sucks right especially to the fact there isn't a Freeze Clause in Gen 9 as well as 1 viable mon running Heal Bell. Scald / Steam Eruption / Scorching Sand / Pyro Ball / Flare Blitz isn't as popular in this current meta, plus mons that learn Pyro Ball / Flare Blitz you don't want to switch into a Specs Kyurem Ice Beam in the first place.

Kyurem doesn't have an argument of it doing good in the tier unlike Kingambit, it literally brings no positivity to the tier in terms of defensively checking something, it's just a fat dragon.

'Glowking being your only reliable Kyurem answer on any BO / Balance team'

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking-Galar: 200-236 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You would have to run Assault Vest > Chilly Reception Pivot and if you're running Chilly Reception Pivot you're powering up opposing Kyurems defense for no reason lol.

It's quite a brainless mon, just click tera if the opening looks good enough of spam Freeze Dry / Ice Beam / Blizzard.

-----

There's multiple sets that have been brought up:

I think there's the Dragon Dance Tera (Fire / Ground) with Icicle Spear and Scale Shot + Loaded Dice - This set in my opinion is the least concerning but it gives flexibility on predicting what Kyurem set the opposition is running. So essentially adding another layer in determining the set, I personally don't like this set because 90% of the time you have to burn a tera.

There's the Protect, Substitute + Leftovers Pressure set - This set can be really cool and if it was the actual only set Kyurem was using I totally be fine with keeping it in the tier but the reality is that this just adds another level of predicting the opposing set.

There's the scarf set which runs essentially the same moves as the specs set but adds another surprise factor which has seen usage the last couple of weeks.

Boots set - Srn listed above and I do think it's a set of concern you don't need your teammates to remove entry hazard you just come in whenever you want, Substitute up and start attacking (as mentioned the Freeze Dry + Earth Power essentially hits everything neutrally outside Levitate Bronzong)

Specs set really puts a hole in balanced teams, thats why you've seen so much Hyper Offense is because people can't afford to run Balance and hope to take on Kyurem unless you're running some Flying or Levitate Mon + Protect Heatran (to scout out if Specs or something else) + a mon that can take on Earth Power / Ice Beam / Draco Meteor neutrally in order to win the 50/50.

-----

Tera Fairy is a good defensive tera for all the sets above to beat things that usually try to claim it. Tera adds a different layer we haven't seen in previous generations. The fact that people are being creative in order to find ways to beat Kyurem is just an affect of it's dominance in the meta. Freeze doesn't have any counterplay Freeze is pretty manageable from things that don't have 394 SpA + STAB boost but taking that on and trying to be a check doesn't work out well 10% of the time.

I'll be voting ban.

I played with SpAtk and PhysAtk Kyurem in every game of mine tonight, and I've come to my own consensus;

Kyurem is actually aggressively mid. It has five main limiting factors; Mediocre speed, entry hazard weakness, reliance on support, reliance on items, and a limiting case of 4MSS. I'll go over each point individually.

Speed Problems
Kyurem's base 95 speed is nothing to write home about in a generation where speedcreep is EVERYWHERE. Most Pokemon in OU naturally outpace you without +1 or a Scarf, which makes coming into a Pokemon and getting the jump on it or scaring it out exceptionally difficult without a DD, Scarf, or Sticky Webs down. A lot of Pokemon that natively scare you are high power, high damage mons like Meowscarada with Play Rough, Iron Valiant, Dragapult, Scarf Gholdengo, Iron Boulder, some Roaring Moon variants, +2 Ogerpon with Play Rough or Low Kick, and Zamazenta. Defensively, Skarm, Corv, Clef, Dozo, and Dirge are all amazing checks to Kyurem.

4 Move Slot Syndrome
Believe it or not, Kyurem has a really bad case of 4MSS, on all builds. You want as much coverage as possible, you want more speed, power to set up, defensive play with Substitute... Kyurem is no stronger to 4MSS even with losing Roost.
-Ice Beam and/or Freeze Dry
-Icicle Spear/Ice Shard
-Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor/Scale Shot/Dragon Claw/Outrage
-Tera Blast Fire
-Earth Power
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Flash Cannon/Iron Head
-Psychic/Zen Headbutt
-Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball
And you just don't have the means to fit it all. It's almost reminiscent of Magic Guard Alakazam, where you're such a powerhouse that can/wants to set up, but because of various attributes and 4MSS, you aren't really over the top.

Weakness to Entry Hazards
Oof, Kyurem gets it hard here. Weak to Stealth Rock, takes a hit from Spikes, poisoned from Toxic Spikes, and slowed from Sticky Webs. As if your typing and speed tier weren't bad enough. This really hurts Kyurem in the long haul, and can put players into awkward spots if they can't remove hazards/can't get their hazard removal in/aren't running Boots on Kyurem. Which leads into the next two points...

Overrealiance on Support
I'm no stranger to playing for the long game, but Kyurem has a REALLY bad spot for needing a lot of support to allow it to get going, or not get ran over by some very dangerous Pokemon. If you don't play Boots Kyurem, you NEED to have hazard removal support. Tusk, Treads, Drill, Corv, Mandi, Cinder, or if you wanna go down the extra spicy routes, Phan, Tsar, or even Conk. However, each and every one of these mons has at least one or more shared weaknesses with Kyurem, which can lead to various threats being stupidly big problems to your team.
Tusk/Conk/Mandi? Valiant runs over you. Phan/Tsar/Tusk? Both Meow and Weavile are big threats to you with Triple Axel. Treads/Drill? Once again, Valiant says hello, as does opposing Tusks. Cinder/Mandi? Garg sorta just sits on you, H-Arcanine has a field day. Don't even get me started on Dengo shows his smug mug.

Aside from hazard support, you also need Unaware support to be sure that you don't get bonked by random setup sweepers that can plow a neutral hole through your team. Clod, Clef, and Dirge -- all of which don't mesh well with Kyurem for the most part.

Then you want to have hazards down for chip, since sometimes your damage can be shaky depending upon the target. Doubly so if you're using something more RNG reliant like Loaded Dice, or god forbid you're like me and lose games to 10% miss chances on shit like Rock Slide and Draco Meteor.

If you opt to go the Screens route, your only options are Grimmsnarl (rarely seen), Meowstic (also rarely seen) and A-Ninetales or Abomasnow (more so Ninetales.) But most of these leave common weaknesses in Steel or Rock (or both), except for Meowstic. But Meowstic is pretty frail, sooo...

Overreliance on Items
This is another, more exacerbated issue with Kyurem. On the Special Side, you want one of three items, Specs, Scarf, or Boots. If you take Specs without Sticky Webs, good luck ever beating any of the faster mons that you want to blow up or Scarfers. If you're Scarf, now you're lacking in power and missing various KOs unless they're chipped. If you're Boots, you aren't locked into a single move, but you're now lacking speed AND power.
On the physical side, you generally want Scarf, Boots, or Dice. Scarf has the same problems as before, Boots has the same problems BUT you have a good setup move in Dragon Dance if you can scare a Pokemon out, and Dice... Well, it's a diet Baxcalibur, except you can be burned. You're also reliant on what feels like a coinflip for 4 hits vs 5 hits on Icicle Spear and Scale Shot (not even accounting for Scale Shot's 10% miss rate.) This can actually make or break a game at times, from my experience.

Bonus Round: Overreliance on Tera
This one is pretty egregious, honestly. It ultimately depends upon the set, but without Tera, Kyurem has a whole host of weaknesses it has to contend with. Fighting, Rock, Steel, Dragon, and Fairy. You can opt for a Tera Steel option and have an alright defensive backbone that can soup up Iron Head or Flash Cannon, but you can still be burned. Tera Fire turns off a couple of weaknesses while also giving you access to Tera Blast Fire for coverage, and making you immune to said burns. Tera Ground can give you an extra STAB through Earth Power, but leaves you weak to various threats still, like Meowscarada, Dondozo, Ogerpon, Serperior, Weavile, and Walking Wake. Water is a decent neutral option, but... We get it by now.

Overall, I've really found Kyurem to be aggressively mid, both on a squad with Sticky Webs, and a squad without them. However, WITH Webs, it becomes a lot more of a threat if the target isn't Flying/Levitating, or using dem Boots (with the fur!) If I even bothered with trying for reqs, I would vote a hard No Ban to Kyurem. Yes, in SOME scenarios it can be quite a demon to deal with... But in most, I find it to be rather lacking. It's never been a game cleaner for me.

Edit: Ice Shard isn't a learnable move. I dun goofed on that one.

Last edited:

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Defensively, Skarm, Corv, Clef, Dozo, and Dirge are all amazing checks to Kyurem.
252 SpA Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 153-181 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Tera Ice Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 16 SpD Clefable: 212-250 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 218-258 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO

no lmao. The only one of these that avoids a 2HKO from Kyurem is Max SpD Dirge which is rare first off, and secondly, its doing fucking nothing back.

4 Move Slot Syndrome
Believe it or not, Kyurem has a really bad case of 4MSS, on all builds. You want as much coverage as possible, you want more speed, power to set up, defensive play with Substitute... Kyurem is no stronger to 4MSS even with losing Roost.
-Icicle Spear/Ice Shard
-Tera Blast Fire
-Earth Power
-Ice Shard (for priority's sake)
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Flash Cannon/Iron Head
-Psychic/Zen Headbutt
-Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball
And you just don't have the means to fit it all. It's almost reminiscent of Magic Guard Alakazam, where you're such a powerhouse that can/wants to set up, but because of various attributes and 4MSS, you aren't really over the top.
Except Kyurem only really needs Freeze Dry and Earth Power. It pretty much hits everything for neutral damage. Meaning Kyurem can slot in whether else it wants. More power? Ice Beam. Volcarona? Stone Edge/Rock Slide. Clefable, Slowking? Substitute + Tera Steel.

Also, Specs Kyurem threatens every relevant spike setter in the tier with Ice Beam, so even vs those hazard stacking teams, it remains a threat. Kyu mandates Volcarona who dies to Specs Draco, or Gking + Steel which leaves you to getting fucked by HDB variants anyways. It is very limiting and exhausting to teambuild in the Kyu meta.

Weakness to Entry Hazards
Oof, Kyurem gets it hard here. Weak to Stealth Rock, takes a hit from Spikes, poisoned from Toxic Spikes, and slowed from Sticky Webs. As if your typing and speed tier weren't bad enough. This really hurts Kyurem in the long haul, and can put players into awkward spots if they can't remove hazards/can't get their hazard removal in/aren't running Boots on Kyurem. Which leads into the next two points...

If I even bothered with trying for reqs, I would vote a hard No Ban to Kyurem. Yes, in SOME scenarios it can be quite a demon to deal with... But in most, I find it to be rather lacking. It's never been a game cleaner for me.
You know you don't have to pretend like you could have gotten reqs to make your point. You admitted you were perpetually in the 1100s on ladder multiple times in previous posts, so you would never have been able to get reqs in the first place.

Being weak to entry hazards doesn't prevent Kyurem from being a top threat. The Specs set basically has no viable walls aside from Blissey and is a top-tier wallbreaker that easily makes progress.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
4 Move Slot Syndrome
-Icicle Spear/Ice Shard
-Tera Blast Fire
-Earth Power
-Ice Shard (for priority's sake)
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Flash Cannon/Iron Head
-Psychic/Zen Headbutt
-Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball
Kyurem does not learn Ice Shard. Kyurem does not viably use Outrage, Dragon Claw, Flash Cannon, Iron Head, Psychic, Zen Headbutt, Shadow Claw, or Shadow Ball. It has more than 4 viable moves, but coverage wise it does not struggle at all.

I am not sure if you went down the movelist on PS and just listed every high power attacking move while seemingly adding a few in there it did not learn for the fun of it or what, but Kyurem has impeccable coverage with Ice + Ground alone. I am also impressed that you listed all of those moves, but seemingly left out one of the few coverage moves you see on it sporadically in Rock Slide, but that's neither here, nor there.

Point is: I would advise playing more and lurking before offering false information and other information that does not match the true metagame.

Minor nitpick since I'm sure Kyurem doesn't run it anymore, but it does learn Outrage. It used to use it to pressure Blissey, but then it got Icicle Spear and Dragon Dance.

finch edit: Yea, mb. Just never seen it use it this gen (or half the other things he listed :psycry: ), TY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyurem does not learn Ice Shard or Outrage. Kyurem does not viably use Dragon Claw, Flash Cannon, Iron Head, Psychic, Zen Headbutt, Shadow Claw, or Shadow Ball. It has more than 4 viable moves, but coverage wise it does not struggle at all.

I am not sure if you went down the movelist on PS and just listed every high power attacking move while seemingly adding a few in there it did not learn for the fun of it or what, but Kyurem has impeccable coverage with Ice + Ground alone. I am also impressed that you listed all of those moves, but seemingly left out one of the few coverage moves you see on it sporadically in Rock Slide, but that's neither here, nor there.

Point is: I would advise playing more and lurking before offering false information and other information that does not match the true metagame.
And this is why I don't belong. I gave my two cents but whatever. I listed merely OPTIONS for it to run, based on whatever set it may be using, but hey. What do I know? 19 years, irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)