Nov-Dec 7* Tera Raid: Water-type Samurott-H

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have used Golduck for a few different past raids, because it is one of the few pokemon that gets Clear Smog, so I like to experiment with it, but it has never been a legit solution for any past raid. After seeing Vengeance417 post a Golduck set I decided to make one and give it a try. It has proven to be a VERY good support mon for this raid!

It’s a real pain to get Simple Beam on a Golduck in SV, because Simple Beam is an egg move and no pokemon naturally available in SV are capable of learning it by level up. So I had to go back to Sword and breed one and transfer it over to Scarlet. But wow, it has been well worth it!

I’m using almost the exact set posted by Vengeance417, with two different moves. Here’s the set and playbook I’m using:

:sv/golduck:
Golduck @ Covert Cloak
Tera Type: Water
Ability: Damp
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed
- Chilling Water
- Simple Beam
- Screech
- Nasty Plot

The centerpiece of this Golduck is Simple Beam, and wow what a huge move this is for this raid. Like Vengeance417 said, it makes Chilling Water a -2 Attack move that hits through the shield. This alone makes Golduck worth its weight in… wait for it… gold! :-D It allows Golduck to neuter Samurott super-fast and it saves all sorts of horrible teams not prepared for the offensive onslaught that Samurott is capable of wreaking.

But Simple is a gift that keeps on giving for all the other typical pokemon in this raid that throw debuff moves at Samurott, which is almost everything from any smart player. I put Screech in the 3rd slot and it is fantastic since sooo many randoms bring physical mons, and when teams break the shield a Screech or two makes raids winnable even with little time remaining. I put Nasty Plot in mainly as filler, and I have been surprised how often I use it. Because Golduck quickly makes Samurott such an impotent offensive threat, and often other players throw out a heal cheer or two, so Golduck has little else to do for the team. By Nasty Plotting, Golduck can make its Chilling Waters actually do some real damage, particularly when alongside a Victreebel that has been getting doubly-powerful Simple-boosted Acid Sprays the whole time.

An important note about the EVs that you might not notice otherwise — those 4 Speed EVs are not just throwaway extra EVs tossed onto Speed. Because Golduck is base 85 speed, just like Samurott, those 4 EVs give Bold Golduck 207 Speed and therefore outspeeds uninvested Adamant Samurott at 206. Covert Cloak guarantees you stay faster than Samurott even with the Bulldoze scripted turn.

Golduck has made raids very easy for most random teams, even when the team has a couple of marginal teammates. If you like making raid mons that are different from the standards, and you are willing to go through the pain in the ass to get Simple Beam, Golduck is a fun change of pace. And I’m just waiting to get a random player that is trying to self-boost and I give them a little Simple Beam love to supercharge their own boosts! Hasn’t happened yet, but I think it would be cool to try, lol ;-)

Last edited:
So I read of someone mentioning it on Twitter X and wanted to try it.

If you have access to Legend Arceus and caught Shaymin (or got a old event one I guess) you can bruteforce it with a pretty simple set.

Shaymin-Sky @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Serene Grace
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Giga Drain
- Worry Seed

4th move irrelevant, I had Air Slash since this is just my regular Shaymin set.
You can probably go Modest with less speed and more HP, I just didn't feel like tinkering with it, I just went in with it and got it done first try.

Basically go Worry Seed turn 1 to remove Sharpness, alternate Seed Flare and Giga Drain until shield, throw yourself an attack cheer before you get killed (I heard there's a glitch that makes you keep it after you res, idk if it's still a thing), when you res, tera and do the same.

You wait for Teraing until after the death cause that way you dodge the spikes (plus tbh being at full HP when teraing is safer anyway)

Since the debuff clear pulse only happens at 50% *timer* remaining... you actually win before that, as soon as shield breaks -6 Seed Flare chunks like 40% hp on its own. In fact I even *missed* one of the Seed Flares after ressing and still won without more than 60% time to spare.

I had a Intimidate Tauros AI helping, I'm not sure if in long term it made a difference, but I'm quite sure Intimidate AI helps regardless on this raid.
Just wanted to bump this again for anyone having issues with this raid, I tried an Applin set that I had from a previous raid and it just wasn't working well with others. I saw this on Twitter as well and then came on here for more in depth info and found your post, I moved my Shaymin over from PLA and got him all raid ready.

Did it on the first try easily and with probably something like 60% time remaining, I also had an AI intimidate mon which I think definitely helped. This is a really fun set and works online with others too, have done 3/3 successfully online.

Thanks!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This raid is manageable if you are prepared, but I still think Gamefreak went way too far with making this raid ridiculously difficult for any average pokemon player.

Just look at the kit that 7-Star H-Samurott has:

- Four attacks in the regular moveset and one additional scripted attack - all five moves with different types
- Attacks hit TWELVE (12) types super-effectively, including the measly two types that hit Water SE
- Sharpness with a freakishly good 50% boost to ALL FOUR of its main attacks
- Unpreventable Turn 0 Swords Dance
- Lowers your Speed at the start of the battle with Bulldoze
- Crit hax with Focus Energy to boost the crit rate
- Bypasses your defensive and evasion boosts with Sacred Sword
- Capable of dropping your Defense with Razor Shell
- Further punishes unprepared players that faint by laying down freaking SPIKES with Ceaseless Edge

Honestly, it’s almost unbelievable. Even more unbelievable is that one of the best mons for this raid is a Gen 1 pokemon that is PU in competitive play (Victreebel) lol ! But seriously, this raid is just stupid hard for average players. And I’m amazed how often I lose in online play, even when I spend 10-15 minutes rejecting every lobby with anything but the very few pokemon that are known to be workable in this raid.

Last edited:
The Corv strategy Anubis posted worked well for me, got it on my second try. NPC allies are important though - I had Arcanine constantly dropping its attack and eventually got lucky with a burn towards the end.

Meowscarada is actually an underrated pick available in the base game (always available from the HA gift from HOME) for this raid because you can Protean into Charm or Chilling Water to remove your initial weakness and lower its attack. It also gets Worry Seed and can perform a similar Giga Drain setup to Victreebel with Nasty Plot and possibly Fake Tears.

Solo'd on a very lucky first try with Shaymin-Sky:
Shaymin-Sky @ Shell Bell
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Giga Drain
- Worry Seed
- Grassy Terrain (didn't use)
View attachment 573881

Didn't have any Intimidates but it didn't matter. I didn't get down to half timer, so it couldn't erase my Seed Flare SpD drops. Turn 1 Worry Seed to disable Sharpness, then Samurott missed its first +2 Ceaseless Edge. It insisted on using Ceaseless Edge on me the whole battle, even after my Grass Tera, which was still at +2 and did about 2/3 of my max HP each time. Seed Flare hit twice and lowered Samurott to -4, and at -4 and still unshielded my Giga Drain was able to heal me back to full. Then it put up its shield, I tera'd and used Seed Flare again to get it to -6 and do a good chunk of damage. A Giga Drain and another Seed Flare was enough to break the shield, then two more Seed Flares to beat it. Paralysis from Bellibolt really helped me here, as did me not missing a single Seed Flare.
I went with this one and was paired up with some crap AI that didn’t benefit me at all. Got it done first time and even with not getting any luck on Ceaseless Edge missing.

thanks pal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)