Project [NEW] SV OU Office Hours [BACK OPEN FOR QUESTIONS]

if you were given full creative control over the design of a single new pokemon, what would it be like competitively?

also, what's your favorite dinosaur and why?

bodi

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tiering Contributor
what pokemons you think that sucks but they are in OU anyways because of usage stats and some mons that are in lower tiers but they desreve to be used more

What additional responsibilities and roles does being Tier Leader bring as opposed to just a council member, at least in your opinion? Do you like that it's made you a public figure and the face people associate with OU?

Is there a Pokémon not in this generation that, in your opinion, could help to balance out the meta? I used to think that Ferrothorn could do a lot to help, but that was at the beginning of Gen 9 and with how prominent hazards have gotten recently I think it’d just make things worse now.

With UUbers recently getting its debut, we have the opportunity to see some of the lower-rated Ubers mons in battle.
This led me to think : despite how different the UUbers metagame is to ours, do you believe that UUbers could be useful to assess the power level of mons currently not allowed in OU?

For the Indigo Disk, GameFreak reaches out to you to create the new Mythical Pokemon, with the only constraint being it has to have 600 BST as the gen's "cute mythical". You decide to use this opportunity to create something that fulfills an unexplored niche in OU (bonus points if it's not something already found in a dexited mon). What would you want to make? All signature moves, abilities, etc. are on the table for you to use, as its not unheard of for mythical Pokemon to steal former signatures for themselves.

Mr.... Finch....?

I don't wanna one liner even here but I guess since thats the talk of the town in the metagame thread, any thoughts on the returning starters? I'm looking to mess around with Primarina myself.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hello Finch, long time no see. Is there any talk of a Gholdengo quickban right now, with a suspect test near the beginning of DLC2? If not, is there a concrete plan for what to do with everyone's favorite cheese stick?

do you ever get tired of our crap?
on a more serious note, assuming there will be another tera suspect when dlc2 releases and everything settles down, will their be many options be like the first time or just ban/no ban? I ask because I saw some people saying they would've liked tera restricted in some way but chose no ban because they would prefer that over full ban.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Sorry for delay!
if you were given full creative control over the design of a single new pokemon, what would it be like competitively?
Would love something that has an ability that summons Trick Room like weathers or terrains.
also, what's your favorite dinosaur and why?
T-Rex, my girlfriend's dog is named Rex so why not
what pokemons you think that sucks but they are in OU anyways because of usage stats and some mons that are in lower tiers but they desreve to be used more
Toxapex is a fraud

Slowking regular and Scizor are solid
Mr. OU Leader Finchinator. I am graced by your presence and being able to ask you a question. That question is: What is an anti-meta/interesting pokemon pick you like in the current metagame?
Sinistcha is rly good into some offenses; would try it for sure
What additional responsibilities and roles does being Tier Leader bring as opposed to just a council member, at least in your opinion? Do you like that it's made you a public figure and the face people associate with OU?
I run the surveys and am the public face of the council, so I spend hours each week on posts and making sure people know who I am/what I am/they can approach me with any questions. Council members do not have as much of a binding need to be accessible so much as just share their stances within council discussions I suppose.
Is there a Pokémon not in this generation that, in your opinion, could help to balance out the meta? I used to think that Ferrothorn could do a lot to help, but that was at the beginning of Gen 9 and with how prominent hazards have gotten recently I think it’d just make things worse now.
Excadrill
What playstyle do you like that is niche/bad in the metagame? An example for me is electric terrain teams/sand teams.
Trick Room and Rain are both very limited imo
Does lokix have any niche in ou? To me it wants to run a power boosting item and heavy duty boots but strong tinted lense priotity seems good
Not really, no. I have tried it and it just leaves so much to be desired, sorry.
With UUbers recently getting its debut, we have the opportunity to see some of the lower-rated Ubers mons in battle.
This led me to think : despite how different the UUbers metagame is to ours, do you believe that UUbers could be useful to assess the power level of mons currently not allowed in OU?
I think UUbers could be a fun, novelty metagame for people looking to play the Pokemon that are too much for OU, but not quite viable in Ubers. I do not view it as necessary or a tool for OU tiering at all, but I am glad it exists if only because it makes people who play it happy and that's a big plus in my book!
For the Indigo Disk, GameFreak reaches out to you to create the new Mythical Pokemon, with the only constraint being it has to have 600 BST as the gen's "cute mythical". You decide to use this opportunity to create something that fulfills an unexplored niche in OU (bonus points if it's not something already found in a dexited mon). What would you want to make? All signature moves, abilities, etc. are on the table for you to use, as its not unheard of for mythical Pokemon to steal former signatures for themselves.
Either something with a new archetype forming ability (i.e: summons Trick Room upon entry) or something with a new typing (i.e: Fairy / Ghost on something viable defensively and a good to suit that, not Mimikyu) would be super sick. I like being able to create new teambuilding ripples tbh.
Mr.... Finch....?

I don't wanna one liner even here but I guess since thats the talk of the town in the metagame thread, any thoughts on the returning starters? I'm looking to mess around with Primarina myself.
I am excited for them, but I think Blaziken and Serperior steal the show here and could have larger implications. The rest are going to likely be mostly seen in lower tiers admitedly.
Hello Finch, long time no see. Is there any talk of a Gholdengo quickban right now, with a suspect test near the beginning of DLC2? If not, is there a concrete plan for what to do with everyone's favorite cheese stick?
Plan is to give it a serious consideration and potential action during the DLC2 metagame. A ban now makes no sense.
are you willing to bring back kyurem to OU?
Yes
do you ever get tired of our crap?
on a more serious note, assuming there will be another tera suspect when dlc2 releases and everything settles down, will their be many options be like the first time or just ban/no ban? I ask because I saw some people saying they would've liked tera restricted in some way but chose no ban because they would prefer that over full ban.
I do not know; this would hinge upon a PR discussion and community sentiment. If it were up to me, the only options would be banning tera, banning tera blast, and no ban.

If you had one lower tier pokemon to buff, which would it be. For me, it would be giving vespiquen +20 to defenses and regenerator.

What playstyle do you have a visceral reaction to? Ribombee sticky webs for me has led to me using a scarf dual wingbeat salamence mainly to prevent sticky webs, Bee is just too reliable and doesn't feel as wasted a teamslot.

What is your favourite Not Fully Evolved mon?
Do you believe that :Luvdisc: should evolve into :Alomomola: , :carbink: should evolve into :Diancie:and :shuckle: should evolve into terapagos?

Last edited:
Two questions

What’s your favorite NU Pokémon/team rn? (Ik this is OU Office Hours but hey)

If you could change one thing about Tiering policy, what would it be?

Why are tiering decisions made in OU without consideration for how it would affect lower tiers? I understand that OU is the central tier and the most widely played, but to make decisions while ignoring them feels…ignorant?

Obviously, I’m mostly talking about the impact a Tera and BE ban would have. Of course, we see that very useful tools when given to an extremely high power level can cause them to be broken (which is why Tera and BE ban calls exist in OU). However, at the same time, the lower levels show that an equilibrium point exists in which they balanced to a high degree.
The latest example for this is now Terapagos. Obviously, it does make more sense for the whole Pokémon to be banned according to tiering policy. However, as part of your response to calls for the stellar form only to be banned, you argued that it would have no niche in OU, so doing so contributes nothing. However, if that is true, Pagos could contribute heavily to lower tiers. You know how strapped for hazard removal the lower tiers are. Even if Paragos doesn’t fall all the way down, the effect it would have on higher tiers could cause a snowball effect, leading to more hazard removal options in lower tiers (as seen when Treads fell to UU).

TLDR, why are OU decisions made without consideration for lower tiers.

P.S. Fwiw, I agree the whole of Terapagos should be banned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)