New OU List (October 2008)

I think this list is excellent, it really looks like an actual OU tier now (with a few exceptions, perhaps... *cough*omp)
Did you even read your post? You basically said this looked like a real OU tier, but it would look better with Garchomp. Did you forget that a lot of Pokemon used now would be inviable with Garchomp in the metagame? So the tier list would shrink back down by a handful of Pokemon.

Also why even bring Garchomp back up again? A vote was held, a decision was reached by the top players, it was banned. Get over it dude.

Alakazam may not be able to take a single hit, but that's not really what it was designed for. Anyway, he's not outclassed entirely, he still has better SAtk and Speed and I'll take that over Fire Blast any day.
Besides, Ally got Focus Blast and Shadow Ball this generation, and still has Hidden Power, so the Elemental Punches are a disappointment, certainly, but a fair trade, in my opinion.
It has slightly better SAtk and Speed (although the slightly better speed makes a big difference), Azelf gets Flamethrower and T-Bolt as strong covering moves and while it doesn't get Focus Blast, I hate Focus Blast, the accuracy is just too low for such a fragile Pokemon, better to go with HP Fighting or nothing in my opinion.

It has slightly better SAtk and Speed (although the slightly better speed makes a big difference), Azelf gets Flamethrower and T-Bolt as strong covering moves and while it doesn't get Focus Blast, I hate Focus Blast, the accuracy is just too low for such a fragile Pokemon, better to go with HP Fighting or nothing in my opinion.
T-Bolt isn't all that great on Azelf, but Charge Beam on Zam is amazing. Charge Beam the Blissey switch in, then 2HKO it with Focus Blast! (hoping it doesn't miss + you get boost)

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ehh, you guys are missing the biggest advantage that Alakazam has over Azelf (it used to be Trick, but now Azelf has it). This advantage is Encore. Alakazam is THE fastest Encore user in the game, and this means that it can Encore all sorts of crap to force the opponent out, and it can get that crucial Calm Mind off to possibly win the game. This also lets it support the team quite well instead of just being a sweeper. Don't underestimate this move. I've made sure that an Encore user is on pretty much every one of my teams because of how useful it is, and in a potentially fatal situation, it can save you. Eg. Encoring a set-up move against that Pokemon that could sweep your team, switching to something that can kill it (ie. Dugtrio), and you just turned things around completely for yourself.

Also, another advantage is Synchronize. Though it is not better than Levitate, it has its advantages. Alakazam can use the Lum Berry/Synchronize strategy very well, since a paralyzed Alakazam is a useless Alakazam. The way this strategy works is that you take a status (not sleep!), and Synchronize the status on to the opponent, but then Lum Berry cures your status. Basically, when trying to status you, you weren't affected at all, and in fact, they were the one who got statused. I'll admit, this isn't as useful of an advantage as the first one, but it's there.

Awesome that Shaymin-S managed to make it into OU. I thought that it would be uber considering it has STAB Air Slash and Seed Flare, gets Earth Power, can lower so many stats and on top of that you can give it hp ice. Earth power to take out heatran, air slash to weaken pokemon, seed flare for things like gyarados and bulky waters, hp ice for ground types with fire blast. Pretty cool tbh :)

Awesome that Shaymin-S managed to make it into OU. I thought that it would be uber considering it has STAB Air Slash and Seed Flare, gets Earth Power, can lower so many stats and on top of that you can give it hp ice. Earth power to take out heatran, air slash to weaken pokemon, seed flare for things like gyarados and bulky waters, hp ice for ground types with fire blast. Pretty cool tbh :)
It hasn't been tested yet. We wouldn't ban an alternate form to a BL Pokemon right off the bat. Skymin can potentially be moved to Ubers. It all depends on how the test goes.

T-Bolt isn't all that great on Azelf, but Charge Beam on Zam is amazing. Charge Beam the Blissey switch in, then 2HKO it with Focus Blast! (hoping it doesn't miss + you get boost)
T-bolt is much more reliable, and helps against quite a few Pokemon: take the Blissey situation: Charge Beam has a 63% (when counting 90% accuracy) chance of boosting SAtk and Focus Blast has 70% chance each hit. That is a 30.87% chance of that strategy working...

Encore is probably more reliable against Bliss (and as Bologo said, that is Kazams biggest advantage).

Azelf is just a better sweeper, Kazam has its quirks though.

I have taken to using Signal Beam on Alakazam. Rapes Celebi hard, and still hits other psychic type Pokemon. Meanwhile with Encore he becomes a star player. I am glad he finally has a chance to shine in this metagame.

No idea why people aren't using Porygon2 enough to make him OU, the standard set in the analysis with HP Ground in the 4th slot will counter the following in OU:
Gyarados
Heatran (especially choiced varieties)
Dugtrio (Traps it and OHKOs with ice beam, fun times)
Magnezone (Traps it, can stall it out if magnet rise is a problem)
Physical Salamence sets
Vaporeon
Jolteon

A few more that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Trace is really a great ability and PG2 has the perfect stats to abuse it with plus the reliable recovery that other tracers lack. I find PG2 to be an essential component of my defensive teams. He's just so damned versatile, really the swiss army knife of defensive pokemon.

Ok, I don't know if anyone has done this, (I assume they have...) but I have added the usage of the new Rotom forms to get:
Code:
Rotom-Cut:    2719
Rotom-Freeze: 2042
Rotom-Heat:   6854
Rotom-Spin:   1644
Rotom-Wash:   4430
Total:       [B]17689[/B]
If the Quota for OU was 8654, then Rotom easily exeeds this. This is after half a month of availability. It is obvious that the old Rotom would remain a separate count and be left in UU.

I'm really glad that Kingdra finally got Outrage, but I'm probably going to stick with my Rain Dance/Swift Swim/ Ice Beam set for all my Dragon eliminating needs. At least people will now anticipate a physical moveset; this could give him an edge :)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok, I don't know if anyone has done this, (I assume they have...) but I have added the usage of the new Rotom forms to get:
Code:
Rotom-Cut:    2719
Rotom-Freeze: 2042
Rotom-Heat:   6854
Rotom-Spin:   1644
Rotom-Wash:   4430
Total:       [B]17689[/B]
If the Quota for OU was 8654, then Rotom easily exeeds this. This is after half a month of availability. It is obvious that the old Rotom would remain a separate count and be left in UU.
The reason why Rotom-Appliance is not OU is that some players used a team containing all Rotom forms. This would make Rotom have 6 usages in one match, which is clearly not what we want. Until the server has in place something that disallows you from using more than Pokemon form in one team (be it Rotom, Deoxys, Giratina, Shaymin or what have you), we can't count Rotom usages correctly.

However, Doug said that he'll implement this clause on the server in the very near future.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
But how will the Species Clause work for them? I can see it counting all the new Rotoms as one (so, you can't have Oven and Wash at the same team), but what about Deoxys, Wormadam, and the others? They actually have pretty big differences, it's not something like an "illegal moveset".

well they are really listed as 1 in the pokedex, it could be done that way (number each one with dex number) then no dublicate numbers can be used.

Mario With Lasers

But don't you agree they are a lot more different among themselves than the new Rotoms? Wormadams and Shaymins even have different typings.

Did you even read your post? You basically said this looked like a real OU tier, but it would look better with Garchomp. Did you forget that a lot of Pokemon used now would be inviable with Garchomp in the metagame? So the tier list would shrink back down by a handful of Pokemon.

Also why even bring Garchomp back up again? A vote was held, a decision was reached by the top players, it was banned. Get over it dude.
You're ignoring the fact that Smogon changed the tiering system after Garchomp was banned. You basically said that this is a larger OU group then before when it was in fact calculated on an entirely different basis, that basis being to make OU larger than it was before.

I don't know if you saw the results or not but OU was in fact larger in the Standard ladder (by about 10 Pokemon) than it was on the Suspect ladder (without Garchomp) when the testing was done.

In short, Smogon is fooling everyone into thinking that OU is bigger than it was before Garchomp was banned when in fact it would likely be smaller if they hadn't changed the tiering system right after his banning.

Someone needs to update the Garchomp dex entry now that he's uber.
Dex entry as in Pokedex? I don't think Nintendo considers it uber, otherwise it would be banned from the battle tower.... I lolose to it often in Wifi battle rooms.

Is rotom-(x) considered one pokemon or 5?

EDIT: Never mind, it would be different forms like deoxsys.

Dex entry as in Pokedex? I don't think Nintendo considers it uber, otherwise it would be banned from the battle tower.... I lolose to it often in Wifi battle rooms.

Is rotom-(x) considered one pokemon or 5?

EDIT: Never mind, it would be different forms like deoxsys.
I think he meant in the Smogon Pokedex. There are a lot of references to Garchomp being an OU threat both in his page and in numerous other pages.

The reason why Rotom-Appliance is not OU is that some players used a team containing all Rotom forms. This would make Rotom have 6 usages in one match, which is clearly not what we want. Until the server has in place something that disallows you from using more than Pokemon form in one team (be it Rotom, Deoxys, Giratina, Shaymin or what have you), we can't count Rotom usages correctly.

However, Doug said that he'll implement this clause on the server in the very near future.
Won't this have implications on the UU Metagame for the time being?

Sorry, that was brief, I'll update it.

Basically, although we can't prove it data-wise, if Rotom is being used often in OU (which anyone can vouch for), then it would obviously be an overly-powerful threat in UU. As for the incorrect count, due to the use of several Rotom forms, we can assume that, if these teams are leading with Rotom, then we can use the number of Rotom leads (2372).
For each Rotom lead, we can just assume for this example, that they would be a Rotom-Team. Excluding the original Rotom, there is five Rotom-X's. Basically, in these cases, 4 usages should be eliminated to give Rotom 1 use in these teams. So, 4 times the lead-count can be subtracted from the total (17689) to eliminate the extra usages all-rotom teams.

2372 * 4 = 9488
12689 - 9488 = 8201

So, we have a worst-case scenario of 8201 "clean" Rotom-X usages. Considering the Quota for OU was 8654, then we have a gap of 453. This is assuming that all Rotom leads are followed with 4 other Rotoms, which is not true in every case (I have seen a team with a Rotom lead, 2 other forms and 3 normal pokemon.), as teams may have anywhere between 5 and 1 Rotom-Xs.

Regardless, 8201 is, in my opinion, more than enough to get it into BL, at least.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In short, Smogon is fooling everyone into thinking that OU is bigger than it was before Garchomp was banned when in fact it would likely be smaller if they hadn't changed the tiering system right after his banning.
We're not fooling anyone. The Policy Review thread is there for everyone to read and to see. It's not like I kept this information undercover or something, lol.

If you maybe ask me the question "so why are you changing the system for OU?", then the answer is very simple. Doug's statistics collection differs markedly from that of Colin, which means that the method used for Colin's stats cannot be used for Doug's.

Also, in that thread (and in this one, as well) I said that I don't like the fact that people want ~50 OU Pokemon... but since the majority wanted that number, I went with that.

Finally, I'm almost completely sure that the 'real' OU list that's gonna be released in November will have less Pokemon than this one.

---------------
To Arael, and to whoever asked about the Rotom forms, again the information is in a Policy Review thread. Most people have agreed that, even though only one Pokemon form must be used per team, the Rotom-Appliances usages will be counted as if they're one Pokemon, and the original Rotom's usages will be counted as a separate Pokemon. The other Pokemon forms are markedly different from each other, as you say, so their usages will be summed up separately.

This, however, will be done in the November list.

We're also debating about what happens to little Rotom if Rotom-Appliance ends up OU next month (whether it will be allowed in UU or not). My personal opinion is that it should be available in UU, but not everyone agrees on this either.

I'd suggest to everyone to peek in the Policy Review thread from time to time, so that you see what we're discussing.

We're not fooling anyone. The Policy Review thread is there for everyone to read and to see. It's not like I kept this information undercover or something, lol.

[...]

I'd suggest to everyone to peek in the Policy Review thread from time to time, so that you see what we're discussing.
Really, you can't stress this enough. If nothing else, if nothing else (yeah right), the discussions make for excellent food-for-thought.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't know if you saw the results or not but OU was in fact larger in the Standard ladder (by about 10 Pokemon) than it was on the Suspect ladder (without Garchomp) when the testing was done.
Comparing the suspect ladder and the OU ladder is only slightly more fair than comparing the current OU list with a previous one. There is no way a suspect test ladder will ever be less centralised than an OU ladder because they generally feature about a tenth of the total battles.

Which reminds me, I need to make sure I'm still qualified for the Deoxys test..

Have a nice day.

Mario With Lasers

To Arael, and to whoever asked about the Rotom forms, again the information is in a Policy Review thread. Most people have agreed that, even though only one Pokemon form must be used per team, the Rotom-Appliances usages will be counted as if they're one Pokemon, and the original Rotom's usages will be counted as a separate Pokemon. The other Pokemon forms are markedly different from each other, as you say, so their usages will be summed up separately.
So, you're saying Shaymin and Shaymin-S will have separate usages (as expected), but that they can't be used on the same team? That's what I was talking about. They might be alternate forms, but they're as different as, say, Meganium and Venusaur. I won't mention DDmence and Specsmence because, while those two play totally different, they are, for the game coding, the same pokémon, with the same Base Stats, typing, sprite, etcetera. Shaymin and Shaymin-S might be the "same" when you consider the method to obtain one of them, but once you look even at its Base Stats, you see the difference. They're like Scyther and Scizor. The difference is that they share the same Pokédex number.

I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself or other people, but I can't post in the PR threads (fair enough), so this is basically the best place I have to discuss about this controversy.

X-Act

It's okay to debate as long as you have an argument, and you have. It turns out that there are people who share your opinion. But it's the majority's opinion that wins in the end.

We'll see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)