New OU List (October 2008)

so from what I saw (correct me if I'm wrong) the new additions to OU are Alakazam, Porygon-Z, Kingdra, Ninjask and Aerodactyl. I'm surprised to see Ninjask made it. I'm also so glad to see that Hippowdon stayed after the rumours of him possibly leaving.

I would think Rotom-Other Forms be OU as well... I've seen quite a lot of them lately, and their stats, ability and typings are wonderful.

Since when did Alakazam become so popular? I've never personally fought one. What set do people use? I personally think that Azelf, being able to explode, with a much large movepool, can set up SR, is a much more effective Psychic type than Alakazam.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually just thought about it, but with Aero out of UU, Scizor can be top-class in OU and Scyther top-class in UU. haha

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How did P-Z make it back on the list? When it moved down to BL, everyone belittled it saying how Azelf outclasses it and now its back with no apparent reason and no improvement? Anyone care to shed some light on this? or perhaps a moveset/ev usage list for P-Z.
P-Z has more SpcAtt and Adapatibility (or Download, but I prefer the former). After a Nasty Plot, Tri Attack 2HKOs Blissey with no SpcDef EVs. Azelf can't do that without exploding. Also, P-Z has less weaknesses and is not weak to Pursuit whilst Azelf's ground immunity is less needed cause Chomp is gone.

In Plat, P-Z can swap in on many trickers to take their scarf or specs (band is very rare). The most common tricker is gengar, who if given a scarf (and doesn't give one back) gets destroyed.

P-Z also has Agility and Recover, if he wants to try something interesting.

Gallade's been OU for a while hasn't he? Though I reckon he and Alakazam will move back to BL; they've gained nothing from Plat (and there's many more trickers to compete with Alakazam). Aerodactyl might be BL as well because Scarfgross is a common lead now who screws Aero over (Aero doesn't need a Scarf).

Wow, finally, the OU tier is getting bigger. How small did it get when Garchomp was around? Something like, 45, correct? It's at 51 now.
Except the list is expected to shrink. This is a fairly new Metagame and things are still being tested. This has been said by at least two other people.

edit: I know the list probably won't shrink down to 45 again, but don't expect it to remain in the 50's for very long.

X-Act said:
Firstly, the sum of all Pokemon usages is calculated. Then, this number is divided by 176.1407. This is the usage quota for a Pokemon to be OU or not. If a Pokemon's usage is at least equal to this quota, it is OU; otherwise, it is not.

However, another calculation can be made that determines which Pokemon are used frequently. A Pokemon is used frequently if it is in a team during at least one in every two battles. The quota for a Pokemon to be used frequently is the sum of all Pokemon usages divided by 37.7113.
How were the bolded numbers derived? They seem random, but I'm sure they were figured mathematically based on some ideal model. Still would be curious as to their origin.

Oh, and good work as usual. ^_^

How were the bolded numbers derived? They seem random, but I'm sure they were figured mathematically based on some ideal model. Still would be curious as to their origin.

I was wondering this also and thought that it could account for the suddent expansion of OU. While Platinum has certainly brought upgrades to new Pokemon, the expansion seems a little too abrupt, especially after how much smaller the Suspect OU list was compared to the Standard OU list in September.

So here's a List of Changes to the OU List:

Aerodactyl
Alakazam
Donphan
Gallade
Kindra
Ninjask
Porygon-Z

As well as the new Additions Rotom-(Whatever) and Shaymin-S. Anyone know if anything went down and what?

Yeah, Porygon-Z get's the respect he deserves! At least for now...
Ninjask is the only pokemon who suprised me. I mean it's not that suprising to see Alakazam in OU even he hasn't been there for awhile. Ninjask though, I never thought I'd see him in OU again. He was there before right? I didn't imagine it?

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
One thing though: Why don't we just update tiers every month instead of every 3? It's only marginally more stable to do it every 3 months, plus now since tiers are objectively usage based it's not like there needs to be tier discussion or anything, except for BL / UU which gets updated more than every 3 months anyway.

I think though it's nice to have a big OU list, subjectively a lot of these Pokémon don't "feel" OU to me. Alakazam and Gallade to me are horribly rare.
The main reason to update OU every 3 months instead of every 3 is to maintain the UU list stable for at least 3 months. I have no objections to update OU every month, but UU people might not want their metagame to change every month (although most Pokemon that make OU are usually BL).

I guess I just want to know how we are going to handle Rotom in terms of the OU list. Adding the total useage of the forms brought it up to spot 41 if I recall.
When considering rotom, will you add their usages together X-Act? I think by next month their combined usage would place them into OU, but separately, probably not...
I think that the rotom forms (excluding Rotom himself) should be counted as one pokemon as far as usage goes. They've got identical BSTs, abilities, and movepools bar one move each (which is essentially the same as illegal sets).
I would think Rotom-Other Forms be OU as well... I've seen quite a lot of them lately, and their stats, ability and typings are wonderful.
I haven't added the Rotom forms together to determine the OU list. I'll pose a policy review question to see what my peers think about it. I'm not adverse to it, personally. I'll add them in the list if people tell me to add the Rotom forms' usage together.

I was wondering this also and thought that it could account for the suddent expansion of OU. While Platinum has certainly brought upgrades to new Pokemon, the expansion seems a little too abrupt, especially after how much smaller the Suspect OU list was compared to the Standard OU list in September.
Look at the Policy Review thread. Basically, 'OU' stands for "Pokemon that appear in at least one in 20 teams", while 'frequently used' stands for "Pokemon that appear in at least one in 4 teams". The number 20 for OU was defined after consulting with people in Policy review. Personally I thought it was too high, however the majority thought that OU should have roughly 50 Pokemon, which 20 kinda corresponded to. The numbers 176.1407 and 37.7113 basically are derived from a mathematical formula that's written in Policy Review as well.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All of the panic that occured when the OU list wasn't altered very much after Garchomp's banning seems to have subsided. After its banning, the game has opened up and a whopping 51 pokemon are now OU, the most ever. That's not a definite "I told ya so..", I'll wait to throw those around after November's stats come around.

So here's a List of Changes to the OU List:

Aerodactyl
Alakazam
Donphan
Gallade
Kindra
Ninjask
Porygon-Z

As well as the new Additions Rotom-(Whatever) and Shaymin-S. Anyone know if anything went down and what?
Gallade was always OU I thought... :pimp:

Ninjask is a big surprise as is Donphan, the only useful things he has over Hippo is slightly higher attack and defence and Rapid Spin.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
That's totally unfair Jrr. This was calculated using an entirely different method than previous OU lists, and the method was decided by wanting approximately 50 pokes in OU.

Have a nice day.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hipmonlee is right. However, I'm 99.9% sure that the OU list in November, which I deem much closer to reality, will contain less Pokemon than this one.

Remember that this OU list contains Platinum Pokemon and moves which were only implemented in the server 10 days ago. Let's wait for October's stats to make a better judgment.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's totally unfair Jrr. This was calculated using an entirely different method than previous OU lists, and the method was decided by wanting approximately 50 pokes in OU.

Have a nice day.
Yikes. I didn't realize that the post-Platinum rage was creating such a problem for stat-gathering. Luckily I said I'll be waiting until November until I say anything else, or else I would have looked really silly there! :P

Good to see Aero out off UU... god I hated that thing.
Good to see Alakazam in OU. he's always been one of my favorites. glad people are finally using him.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yikes. I didn't realize that the post-Platinum rage was creating such a problem for stat-gathering. Luckily I said I'll be waiting until November until I say anything else, or else I would have looked really silly there! :P
Well Jrrrrr, I think it's "silly" in that we will never be able to compare the old OU size with the new one, since they'll be calculated on an entirely different basis. In other words, if you change the process, not to mention changing the internal factors (*cough*platinum*cough*), you will never be able to compare the data from before the changes to after. In other words saying "Look at how much we decentralized OU by banning chomp!" will never be a fair statement to make even if OU is 60 pokemon in november.

note: before anyone says anything, I'm not in the pro-chomp camp, I'm just stating this to be fair.

i cant believe lucario is still "used frequently" i've barely seen any of them since scizor got bullet punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)