M&M Mix and Mega

So what other mon can i use for a counter for altarianite dnite
i second what bonk said, your kitty can sit on dnite all day long. you also have other ways to help that dont need different mons, ice beam or wisp on arc, sludge bomb on etern, or revenge killing w eleki. i love pecharunt as a catch all espeed counter bc new toy syndrome, idk if pecha would fit your team tho. im curious how interchangeable pecharunt and etern are and if they have any inherent synergy, pecha-etern-mandibuzz/dark type sounds like a fun experement

Mix and Mega council is suspecting Eternatus!

Anyone playing the current metagame or familiar with the history should understand why (and a more detailed explanation is laid out in the thread), but the tl;dr is that it's very strong, quite bulky, pretty fast, and does all this while being free to run items. Both Urshifu and Red Orb were considered for action as well, but we ultimately decided to do Eternatus first since it informs the other two; we would like to avoid a situation where Red Orb is balanced with Etern and gets a DNB but then Eternatus gets banned and it becomes broken.

I might take the time to participate in the suspect test, but I've been playing and thinking about this. I don't really think Eternatus is currently a problem, and the meta seems to still be settling. There's a few main mons with defensive utility in the current meta that are holding each other in check.

First, Solgaleo. I don't think the physically offensive sets are that great currently. Venusaurite or Latiasite are my favorites at the moment, for defensive sets. Solgaleo is one of the best counters to Eternatus, and with Venusaurite it doesn't need to run special defense investment to beat either SpD or Meteor Beam Eternatus consistently. Teleport is a fantastic option for this mon, too.

Lugia is possibly a bit broken, but there is stuff out there that can do well into it. I don't know if it's really possible to OHKO sablenite Lugia. It does decently well into Eternatus, too, though the meteor beam sets require very careful play to come out ahead. Calm mind makes Lugia threatening offensively, though its lack of immediate impact or utility moves hold it back. Its typing is much better in this meta, where there are much fewer offensive dark types. Lugia covers such a wide portion of the meta defensively that it becomes a win condition on its own often.

Eternatus is a strong threat, but a little bit overrated. It plays a needed role of being a strong offensive switch in to the electric type red orb users and urshifu, and can run a few very strong sets. What keeps it from being overpowered, imo, is the amount of defensive options against it, its speed stat being relatively easy to clear with mega stones, and its best offensive set being dependent on a boost from meteor beam to consistently beat certain checks. If Eternatus has to go, I think it's going to be a shake up to the meta that necessitates several more bans.

These 3 mons are the defensive threats I've seen that you need to be constantly thinking about when you build teams. The strongest offensive options compliment their weaknesses well and force would-be checks out of the meta.

This... thing should not be slept on as it can eat an absurd amount of attacks, and then hit back very hard while recovering hp at the same time

Primarina (F) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Torrent
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draining Kiss
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Charm

which can be paired with this beast to form a somewhat powerful defensive core, though you need to be careful of electric moves

Corviknight (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Mirror Armor
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Dual Wingbeat
- U-turn
- Roost

someone needs to make a team off this.

Career Ended

Whatever happens, happens
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending Other Metas Circuit Champion
This... thing should not be slept on as it can eat an absurd amount of attacks, and then hit back very hard while recovering hp at the same time

Primarina (F) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Charm

which can be paired with this beast to form a somewhat powerful defensive core, though you need to be careful of electric moves

Corviknight (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Dual Wingbeat
- U-turn
- Roost

someone needs to make a team off this.
Hey Ezael glad you're getting into Mix and mega, just want to comment on these sets you shared.

The Primarina set does have some potential I agree, Slowbronite really help cover the physical bulk that it lacks in it's base form. I actually threw this team together a little while ago when I was testing out stuff. Fair warning though it's not the greatest team ever put together.
I think Charm is a cool tech, but it might not be the best move you could run there. I was running Psychic Noise mostly to help it beat stuff like WA Clodsire and Blissey, but also neutral coverage on Red Orb Pokemon who can resist your boosted STABs.

I think your Corviknight set is a little bit funky though and was hoping to give you a push in the right direction. Corviknight will typically run a set like this, but instead of max Attack and an Adamant nature, it can opt for Defense or Special Defense EVs and a nature that boosts those stats. Corviknight really likes these investments to help it easily take strong attacks from some of the strongest pokemon in the tier like Great Tusk, Eternatus or Regieleki. Corviknight's superb typing already gives it a great matchup into these Pokemon so the investment really helps. I am also not really sure how Dual Wingbeat helps this Corviknight do it's job, I'd suggest running Bulk Up to increase it's Attack and Defense or Defog to clear hazards to help support it's teammates. Keeping U-Turn is great though as Corviknight is probably the premier slow pivot in the tier. Something like this is what I run all the time:
:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Sablenite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up

I also really recommend max Defense with Defog!

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Hey Ezael glad you're getting into Mix and mega, just want to comment on these sets you shared.

The Primarina set does have some potential I agree, Slowbronite really help cover the physical bulk that it lacks in it's base form. I actually threw this team together a little while ago when I was testing out stuff. Fair warning though it's not the greatest team ever put together.
I think Charm is a cool tech, but it might not be the best move you could run there. I was running Psychic Noise mostly to help it beat stuff like WA Clodsire and Blissey, but also neutral coverage on Red Orb Pokemon who can resist your boosted STABs.

I think your Corviknight set is a little bit funky though and was hoping to give you a push in the right direction. Corviknight will typically run a set like this, but instead of max Attack and an Adamant nature, it can opt for Defense or Special Defense EVs and a nature that boosts those stats. Corviknight really likes these investments to help it easily take strong attacks from some of the strongest pokemon in the tier like Great Tusk, Eternatus or Regieleki. Corviknight's superb typing already gives it a great matchup into these Pokemon so the investment really helps. I am also not really sure how Dual Wingbeat helps this Corviknight do it's job, I'd suggest running Bulk Up to increase it's Attack and Defense or Defog to clear hazards to help support it's teammates. Keeping U-Turn is great though as Corviknight is probably the premier slow pivot in the tier. Something like this is what I run all the time:
Corviknight @ Sablenite
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up

I also really recommend max Defense with Defog!

Hope that helps!
I thank you for the criticism, yeah psychic noise might be a good idea. as for running max atk, it's mostly for sitting on ate espeed :dragonite:
and yeah, it's not like top tier team, but it has gotten me places

Slither Wing

used First Impression!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Alright now, I've been out of Majors for a while and all the people I've helped build for (s/o to them, ur all goated <3) are also unfortunately out now, so I though it would be a good time for me to post my teamdump. Warning! some of these teams are not thoroughly tested, and I'm still unsure if any of them are actually good, but regardless I wanted to share Since there's not a lot of teams out there right now.

Pinsirite Magearna:
:magearna: :arceus-water: :eternatus: :regieleki: :samurott-hisui: :ho-oh:
:magearna: :landorus: :arceus-fairy: :regieleki: :eternatus: :ho-oh:
Both of these teams are pretty similar, so I'll just group them together, but these are all built around Pinsirite Magearna, which is one of, if not my favorite Set ever in Mix & Mega. Encore + Pain Split lets you set up on pretty much any defensive wall, and is only really stopped by bulky Electric-types or PhysDef Ho-Oh, neither of which see much usage. Defensive Ho-Oh is also quite underrated since there's no Knock Off in the tier, meaning that you can freely switch in forever. Rest of the team is just filling out defensively, with the standard defensive core being Arceus + Etern + Ho-Oh (Oh god I need to try more defensive structures o_o). Overall, relatively good teams barring some much needed polishing.

Chien-Pao Balance:
:chien-pao: :corviknight: :arcanine-hisui: :slowking-galar: :roaring moon: :arceus-water:
This team came to be because I was noticing that a lot of teams wasn't really preparing for Chien-Pao outside of PixiSpeed, meaning that you could often get Pao in, nab a kill and then switch out. Corv + Harcanine covers any setup attempts by Dragonite with U-turn into Harcanine which always forces Dragonite out. Roaring Moon is my cope check for all the Red Orb users, since its both fast and resists / is neutral to all the Red Orb users barring Draco Raging Bolt, which is uncommon. I also love Waterceus, since it's able to blanketcheck a lot of the annoying physical attackers such as Urshifu-R, Barraskewda, & Harcanine.

Spectrier Balance:
:spectrier: :arcanine-hisui: :eternatus: :magearna: :slowking: :great tusk:
:spectrier: :regieleki: :eternatus: :magearna: :ho-oh: :arceus-water:
Another mon that I felt was quite under the radar was Spectrier, with both a broken offensive typing + speed it's really hard to stop once it gets going. It's quite tricky to position however, but these teams were my best attempt at making that dream come true; I found that Etern + Magearna covered a lot of the special threats, and the rest are just defensive fillers. Slowking is the local Fuck you to Red Orb users, tho in hindsight its probably not needed here, fun set regardless.

Arceus-Dragon:
:arceus-dragon: :raikou: :chien-pao: :corviknight: :magearna: :arcanine-hisui:
Probably the worst team here, but I wanted to make Dragonceus a reality since I wanted a Red Orb check Without using etern cause I'm quirky like that. Slapped on a Blue Orb Mag that totally owns all etern sets and Chien-Pao once again and you had... something I guess? Team's kind of ehh but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Waterceus Balance:
:arceus-water: :regieleki: :eternatus: :ceruledge: :great tusk: :solgaleo:
I believe this was my best performing team, and it's the one I'm the most proud of, even though I choked my games with it. Latiosite Ceru is surprisingly underrated, with few teams preparing for it. Also has the staple in Waterceus, I do truly believe this is easily on the top 3 best Arceus-types. PhysDef Solgaleo's cool Also totally owns Screen teams, sure wonder who's building those.

Semi-Room:
:Calyrex-Ice: :Solgaleo: :Arcanine-hisui: :eternatus: :mandibuzz: :arceus-ghost:
I have in recent months fallen in love with Semi-Room as an archetype, and this is my take on it. Caly-S is stupid and shreds through a lot of the defensive mons in the tier, with coverage for Latiasite Solgaleo as well. Solgaleo + Harcanine once again checks Dragonite + any other pesky Ice-types. Rest of team could probably be changed, but Ghostceus is also a niche set, letting it set up versus other Arceus and Solgaleo. I'll probably continue building this since I really like Semi-Room, but I'll see if what I can cook up.

Shitty Screens:
:deoxys-speed: :dragonite: :solgaleo: :magearna: :eternatus: :urshifu-rapid-strike:
Honorable mention since there were some using my Suspect team. I threw this together in like, 5 mins, and I'm not sure I could recommend it considering it loses to a lot of things, however Cameruptite Solgaleo is fucking broken and that's what carried my suspect run.

With all this said, if you have any questions regarding any of the teams, first of all, why would you use them lol just ping me somewhere and I'll gladly explain. If you're still reading this, have a continued good day :)

:Zamazenta:-:Primarina:-:Corviknight:-:garchomp:-:Spectrier:-:Groudon:
Behold my current team. it's certainly not perfect but it works

:Zamazenta: This beast is capable of dealing heavy damage to most common threats, and is quite hard to kill.

:Primarina: One of two defensive mons here, she serves as a setup sweeper/wall and can wipe out most things after a couple calm minds

:Corviknight: Don't think much needs to be said here. wall, pivot, defogger, can 2HKO pixispeed :Dragonite:

:Garchomp: an expirament, can also be swapped for galladite :Landorus-Therian: mostly serves as a way to deal with pesky electric types that trouble the defensive mons

:Spectrier: your average setup sweeper, not much to be said, swap it out if needed

:Groudon: I hate eternatus. so I made this. all jokes aside, this can be swapped for a lot of things, I just like being able to wreck :Eternatus:

Following the results of the suspect test, Eternatus remains legal! At the moment, the mix and mega council does not have a hard stance on what action to take next; at the moment Urshifu, Gouging Fire, and Red Orb are all being considered, but none stand out as obvious choices. If you have an opinion on these or any other pokemon or stones, please let us know which and why!

Following the results of the suspect test, Eternatus remains legal! At the moment, the mix and mega council does not have a hard stance on what action to take next; at the moment Urshifu, Gouging Fire, and Red Orb are all being considered, but none stand out as obvious choices. If you have an opinion on these or any other pokemon or stones, please let us know which and why!
in my professional idiot opinion, Weather Ball is dum and Red Orb is a precious baby and must be protected. Red Orb is the literal stone mascot of mnm and has always been a much needed counterbalance to fairy spam and problematic steel types whenever they have popped up. Eternatus is only unhealthy in mnm metas where its one teamslot singlehandedly enables bulk focused balance teams to stall several of the best teams and teamstyles without its team letting up on offensive pressure which it cant do in the current meta, but how much that has to do with Ursh and Red Orb demanding Etern take chip damage constantly is hard to say, and Pinsirite pdox Entei also limits Etern via avoiding the 2hko from Eterns uninvested stabs and turning it into setup fodder which is a rare trait for offense mons. pdox Entei is a interesting case, currently its relationships are very undeveloped, it only has one stone (Pinsirite) that lets it be consistently useful from battle to battle but its single favorite set (ddance dedge blitz/eq morning sun) is very difficult for offense teams to counter using any defensive means outside of dedicated rock coverage on Great Tusk or physdef power herb Eternatus and it forces risky do or die decisions. Goug Fire is limited by its necessary recoil moves and 4 moveslot syndrome with the critical choice between eq and blitz choosing what hardwalls it so it can never sweep on its own and requires team support, but its one of the scariest mid game threats out there and if other stones prove to be equally viable and substantially change its counterplay id be on team ban. Urshifu is similar to pdox Entei with how offense teams struggle to fit defensive counters without changing up team chemistry, altho it exchanges having more counters for the coinflip between "Urshifu used U-Turn you idiot, get dunked on" and "Urshifu used Swords Dance you idiot, your core is gone now". Red Orb, Etern, Urshifu, and Gouging Fire all currently share a complex relationship in eachothers counterplay, each potentially completely wrecking the other depending on the set and field condition so its very hard to tell if they are all just op bs counterbalancing other op bs, but the only ones among them spammable and immediately threatening enough to ban without first seeing how the others fair in their absence are Red Orb and Urshifu. if Etern were to be banned first im almost completely certain Urshifu and Red Orb would need to be banned alongside it, if Red Orb were to be banned first almost certainly Red Orb would need to be banned immediately after, if Urshifu and/or pdox Entei were banned Etern and Red Orb would be significantly buffed as well. a right well clusterfuck of possibilities we have ourselves

im pmuch alone on this stance but i dont think terrastalizing would be op rn assuming the rusted items were yeeted out the meta. there really arent that many potentially broken offensive terra users and defensive terra users inherently have a much lower potential for brokenness in Ubers based metas, especially in mnm with the current state of offensive potency. asides Arceus and Rayquaza there arent any offensive terra users whod even come close to matching their potential, but heres a short list of the best options

Arceus @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
Tera Type: Normal Or Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def Or 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Or Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance/Dragon Dance/Bulk Up
- Extreme Speed
- Tera Blast/Shadow Claw
- Recover
dis boy right here is the real question mark and the only mon who i personally can see justifying keeping terra banned sheerly off the mind games of is it gunna be a normal turning ghost or a ghost turning normal

Rayquaza @ Heavy-Duty Boots/Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Or Jolly Or Naive Nature
- Swords Dance/Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake/Overheat i guess?
doesnt get V-Create anymore, only sd/dd+espeed has the potential to make Ray broken but that sets coverage moves are already a given

Deoxys-Attack @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
- Zen Headbutt
wouldnt rly ohko crap, pmuch a gimmick unless we assume terra is legalized and then both arc and ray get banned. several current options in the meta are better at forcing kos off of unboosted stab like Red Orb Weather Ball and Gouging Fire Double Edge/Flare Blitz

Baxcalibur/Kyurem-Black @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Thermal Exchange/Teravolt
Tera Type: Fire
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance/Dragon Dance
- Icicle Spear
- Scale Shot
- Tera Blast

Lunala @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Shadow Shield
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moongeist Beam
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
defensive terra fairy sets w wisp and/or teleport would be fun too, dis mon def aint sweepin thru teams, just a solid type and overall stats with no potential for instant team wrecking, very well balanced and would be a welcome addition to teambuilding

Basculin-White-Striped @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Ghost
Jolly Nature
- Last Respects
- Wave Crash
- Psychic Fangs
- Flip Turn
i wanna use this dumass set soooooo bad pls let me :)

honorable mentions, terra water/fairy Eternatus, stored power Magearna and Espathra, terra ground Ho Oh. mediocre mentions, Palafin, Flutter Mane, boomburt Kommo o, first impression tinted lens Lokix, supreme overlord Kingambit, Volcarona, Mimikyu, Blaziken, Annihilape, Avalugg, Hydrapple, Zekrom, Lilligant hisui, Calyrex ice, assorted fairy resistant terra type shell smashers

Team Update: :Zamazenta:-:Primarina:-:Corviknight:-:Landorus-Therian:-:Spectrier:-:Groudon:

:zamazenta:
with aerodactylite (probably mispelled that) it's fast and hits really hard
-Close Combat is a way to bash through pretty much anything that is not resistant/immune to it
-Psychic fangs can hit eternatus and fighting types really hard
-Crunch hits psychics mostly, not much to say
-Play rough hits dragon types really freaking hard, especially huring pixispeed :dragonite:

:primarina:
with slowbronite, she's bulky and hits really hard
-Draining Kiss is the main STAB move to hit almost anything
-Surf can hit fire, steel and poison types that resist dkiss
-Calm mind to improve attacks, as well as special bulk
-Psychic noise, mostly to bully recover-dependent pokemon like clodsire

with sablenite and max atk invest, this set is bulky, and can slap opposing fairy types
-Iron Head is the move used to 2HKO pixispeed :Dragonite: as well as punish any other fairy types that are annoying you
-U-turn pivoting move, simple stuff
-Roost is roost, not much to say
-Defog for hazard removal primarina in particular does not like hazards

:landorus-therian:
with galladite, he's fast and hits pretty hard, as well as just being a ground/flying type
-Earthquake is just STAB to hit stuff hard
-Rock slide for flying types, used over stone edge bc I hate stone edge's 80% acc
-Outrage is a somewhat hated option, but the neutral coverage is useful
-Swords Dance is swords dance. need more damage? click this.

:Spectrier:
with audinite, it gains bulk and fairy type which lets it have dual STAB
-Shadow ball basic STAB for hitting almost everything
-Draining kiss for recovering hp and hitting dragon types like pixispeed :Dragonite:
-Dark Pulse for the occasional thing that the other two could not hit (idk what else to put in this slot)
-Nasty plot for more damage, use if needed or have good moment too

:Groudon:
with scarf, groudon is fast and dangerous, capable of outspeeding the likes of eternatus
-Precipice Blades, STAB for hitting any non-grass or flying types as well as slapping :Eternatus: really hard
-Rock Slide for flying types
-Dragon claw for annoying dragon types that might trouble you
-Iron head for fairies I guess (not sure what to put here or in slot 3)

Overall, a decent team, but not the best. it works. but it's not amazing. (probably)

Note: my grammar here is probably terrible

Last edited:
Empty Team slot? No idea how to complete your team? Try this. It defies all laws of competitive pokemon. it bullies even high tier legendaries.

Vaporeon (F) @ Audinite
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Wish
- Calm Mind

(ok I overhyped it a bit, but still it's absurd that it works so well.)

y'all may think I have too many counters to :Dragonite:, but he's everywhere. and he's strong. you gotta be ready.
hes pretty easy to counter, most of his counters can sit on him all day and are easy to fit into all sorts of teams so you only rly need one. pinsirite doesnt even change his counters that much and a smart player can correctly guess which mon has pins or alta 9 times out of 10. red orb, regieleki and gouging fire on the other hand do need several mons which can make progress in ko'ing them. great dnite counters include solgaleo, pecherunt, wisp arceus, tpex, arcanine, magearna, iron moth for alta dnite, and grganacl but garga is limited in the kinds of teams he can be used on

Last edited:

Career Ended

Whatever happens, happens
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending Other Metas Circuit Champion
Survey Results and Urshifu-R Suspect!
Here are the results of the recent survey, unfortunately I've been a bit tardy in making this post. Thanks to everyone who responded!
The council has also decided to suspect test Urshifu-R! Any opinions you want to share concerning Urshifu-R can be posted in this thread, but can also be proposed in the voter requirement suspect thread here, if you wish to get the message to those whose vote you may sway.
The Council had their eyes primarily on a big 4 of offenders when we launched this survey, but the balanced voting shown by the results made it difficult to draw any firm conclusion that any of these 4 were outright broken. As such we decided against a quickban for any of these 4 and decided a suspect test of the most problematic one would be our course of action.
There are some conclusions I'd like to draw from the responses. I'll start off with our biggest offenders:
:sv/Urshifu-rapid-strike: :sv/gouging-fire: :sv/lugia: :Red_orb:
Screenshot (103).png

Screenshot (104).png

These "Big 4" are the biggest offenders in the tier as we stand currently.
:sv/Urshifu-rapid-strike:
With differing levels of votes regarding tiering action, the council took all of this info into consideration when the decision was made to target Urshifu-Rapid-Strike with a suspect test which can be again be found here. To keep it short, Urshifu-R had the second most combined 4 and 5 votes after Lugia and when factoring in all votes it was weighed at the top. The council also agreed that Urshifu-R was more deserving of immediate action than the other options due to be being problematic in metas past, but ultimately the tiebreaker was simply unanimous agreement.
:sv/gouging-fire:
Despite being lower in overall weighed votes, Gouging Fire was the 2nd biggest offender in consideration from the council. It's versatility with access to great stat distribution, setup, reliable recovery, and powerful attacks make it a big nuisance to deal with in matches. Pinsirite, Metagrossite and other stones give it a fair amount of unpredictability that make it overbearing when considering it's breaking and boosting power. It's lack of overlap between counterplay between all of it's sets make it very hard to offensively check, and it's flexibility to break through strong Rock-type answers with either Lucarionite Outrage or Earthquake frustrates common defensive answers.
:sv/lugia:
It may come off as controversial that Lugia avoided a suspect test, even though it had the most combined 4 and 5 votes. It's versatility and outright bulk make it a threat, and it's annoying to cover all Lugia sets in the builder, but the council still feels Lugia is underdeveloped and not worthy of a suspect test over the other offenders at the moment. Its general passivity in its pre-Mega form makes it very reliant on Calm Mind boosts to break through teams, and builds ranging from balance to hyper offense rarely struggle to revenge kill it. However, the combination of STAB Psychic Noise, reliable recovery, Substitute or Magic Bounce make it very problematic into passive teams like stall. Expect Lugia to remain in the spotlight for the near future.
:Red_orb:
Finally, Red Orb has been a topic of question in the tier for a while now. Looking back at the Pre-DLC2 meta, Enamorous and Jolteon were both banned with Red Orb being a primary reason. With plenty of votes ranging from worthy to potentially worthy of a suspect, the meta agrees that Red Orb needs to have a solid look at being removed from the Metagame. Overall, the council felt that a suspect can wait a little longer as we deal with these powerhouses in order of most pressing. We recommend people begin collecting their thoughts on Red Orb and share their opinion in anticipation for any action in the near future. The introduction of the Weather Ball TM has made a great many Pokemon a fine suitor for this transformational item, offering +50 Special Attack and a Fire-typing to go alongside Desolate Land and what equates to a 100BP Sun Boosted STAB that still punishes any Blue Orb would-be-answer. Raging Bolt, Lugia, and Landorus-I are all abusers running amok at the moment, putting a stopgap to most any Water-type offensive threats while threatening the plethora of strong Steel and Fairy-types that are common in the metagame. It certainly stifles a significant amount of weather setting playstyles or items.

I'll end off with the more benign offenders that were on the survey.
Screenshot (106).png

Screenshot (105).png

:sv/eternatus:
Coming off it's recent suspect test, Eternatus still managed to snag a couple of votes of 5 as a problematic Pokemon. Eternatus won't see any action until significant meta development occurs, as it was voted to remain in the tier by a pretty substantial margin (19/24 votes for DnB). Nevertheless, its versatility and great offensive and defensive profile make it a meta staple for the foreseeable future, so we can expect some meta development to better prepare for Eternatus' dangerous offensive sets. The council agrees that Eternatus isn't safe for good, but for now we wait.
:altarianite:
Altarianite is a foundational piece in the metagame and is a contender for best overall transformational item. The council wished to see how it was perceived and with a quiet 3 votes for being potentially worthy of a suspect, we've got our answer. Altarianite isn't overbearing or problematic and isn't likely to recieve any tiering action in the near future.
:sv/dragonite:
Dragonite has been a centralizing Pokemon for many generations, due to it's combination of movepool, specifically access to ExtremeSpeed as well as it's good typing, good pre-mega abilities in Inner Focus and Multiscale and all around stats. With only 3 votes of 3 as being potentially worthy of suspect and 1 vote of 4, Dragonite seems to be in a fine place in the current meta and the council doesn't consider it problematic.

Additionally, the council wanted to gauge the feelings on Rusted Sword and Terastallize Clause.
Both this item and this clause were put into effect in a pre-DLC metagame, potentially opening the door for reintroduction at some point. Indeed, it would be highly unlikely that both of these options would be test simultaneously as they can be compounded to break a great many Pokemon. Rusted Sword had far more agreeable survey results in comparison to Terastallization, so perhaps a Rusted Sword re-suspect is in the cards in 2024. Offering a secondary Steel-typing and +30 boost to Attack and +10 to Speed alongside a free one-time Intrepid Sword 1.5x boost is very strong for a single transformational item, and the council is currently pre-occupied with what is currently in the tier that perhaps deserves to be banned. Terastallize received a riveting 8 votes of 5 (or unworthy of a resuspect), and with strong Ubers like Arceus, Lunala, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Ho-Oh, and Eternatus in the tier, it's unlikely that a Terastallize clause resuspect is worthwhile discussion in the meantime. Nonetheless, these results are interesting to look at and we hope you can appreciate our curiousity.

In the meantime, I encourage everyone to go get voter requirements for the ongoing Urshifu-R suspect test and to post your opinion on any of the big 4! Also let us know what else you would like to see us put on the next tiering survey, which we will post sometime during the upcoming Mix and Mega Open! Signups open next Sunday (March 17th)
Thank you for reading and have a great day!​

Last edited:

Slither Wing

used First Impression!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Just getting back into Mix&Mega but Last Respects seems to be something that should be banned xD
I know that it may look bad, considering that literally everyone knows how powerful and gamebreaking of a move Last Respects can be, but in all truth it's not particulary strong here at the moment. Basculegion-M did get restricted due to the move, but now the only relevant abuser is Basculegion-F, and to be honest, it's not cutting it. If you're running Diancite on it (to get as high of a Speed stat as possible without external factors) you would reach 412 with 252 Spe and a Jolly nature. While that is fast, it's not the fastest, and there are plenty of faster targets that can force it out. Switching out the stone for something like a Lucarionite to get more power isn't appealing either, as you're now giving up too much Speed, since you only reach a measly 328 with the same setup as earlier, making you more reliant on Agility, which requires a free turn of setup.

The absolute dominance of -ate Speed is also a big reason as to why Basculegion isn't too good, because even if you've boosted up with Agility, you will simply get outsped and KOed by common -ate Speed users like Dragonite or Regieleki. So overall it's not necessarily bad, it just requires way too much effort to get going, while still being shut down by some of the most common offensive threats in the tier.
(ate- Speed refers to the combination of an -ate ability, think Pixilate or Aerilate, and Extreme Speed, basically giving you a base 96 STAB +2 prio move)

I know that it may look bad, considering that literally everyone knows how powerful and gamebreaking of a move Last Respects can be, but in all truth it's not particulary strong here at the moment. Basculegion-M did get restricted due to the move, but now the only relevant abuser is Basculegion-F, and to be honest, it's not cutting it. If you're running Diancite on it (to get as high of a Speed stat as possible without external factors) you would reach 412 with 252 Spe and a Jolly nature. While that is fast, it's not the fastest, and there are plenty of faster targets that can force it out. Switching out the stone for something like a Lucarionite to get more power isn't appealing either, as you're now giving up too much Speed, since you only reach a measly 328 with the same setup as earlier, making you more reliant on Agility, which requires a free turn of setup.

The absolute dominance of -ate Speed is also a big reason as to why Basculegion isn't too good, because even if you've boosted up with Agility, you will simply get outsped and KOed by common -ate Speed users like Dragonite or Regieleki. So overall it's not necessarily bad, it just requires way too much effort to get going, while still being shut down by some of the most common offensive threats in the tier.
(ate- Speed refers to the combination of an -ate ability, think Pixilate or Aerilate, and Extreme Speed, basically giving you a base 96 STAB +2 prio move)
scarf basc>>>diancite basc fight me nerds, it can live a espeed, is faster and only a few % weaker bc of adaptability being busted. the real reason it sux now is for 2 reasons, primarily bc the 412/420 speed tier is unimpressive post dlc as so many good offense mons can simply outrun it naturally. the 2nd reason is that arceus mandibuzz and thunderclap exist on top of existing espeeders so yea, basc is sleeping with the fishes now. also weather ball is stupid broken and redorb is everywhere so not even memey swampertite sets can hope to exist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)