ORAS Ubers Mega Sableye's Stall Squad

Introduction
Hey everyone! I've been a big Ubers fan for a couple years and decided to show my favorite team to use this gen. I've been stuck in the 1500's using it and would love to be able to break that so any feedback for improvement would be greatly appreciated! Stall is in my opinion the funnest playstyle in Ubers, and also the hardest to build. I've experimented with several stall teams, having posted an Arceus Dark one here several months ago, but eventually ended up with this one. This team mainly capitalizes on the incredibly fat duo of Mega Sableye and Lugia and plagues the opposing team with status while healing itself. Hope you enjoy!

Teambuilding Process
I started with Mega Sableye and Lugia because they're both Ubers's top stall staples. Sableye bounces away status and hazards for Lugia, who poisons and phases set-up sweepers and sets up Reflect to make their defense even more ridiculous.
Mega Sableye and Lugia are both walled by Steel-types, which PDon burns to a crisp. He can also reliably switch into Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, which is a godsend.
I now need both a Defogger and big scary bird check; Arceus-Water does both. I considered Arceus-Rock initially, but with Primal Groudon and Aegislash added in I already had two weaknesses to Ground and did not need a third. I've also considered Arceus-Ground to better deal with Primal Groudon, but Arceus-Water gives the team a safe Sacred Fire switch-in.
I wanted a Pursuit trapper to check Mega Gengar, Lati@s, Mewtwo, and Deoxys-A/S, which all greatly threaten this team. Not only does Aegislash do that, he's also possibly the best Xerneas check in the tier.
Finally I needed a cleric and something to reliably switch into powerful special attacks. Blissey heals the team with Heal Bell and laughs at special attackers in general.​
Aegislash was replaced with Tyranitar to provide a better answer to Mega Gengar and also reliably check Ho-Oh and (to some extent) Darkrai, two major threats to the team. His ability to set rocks frees up a moveslot for PDon to recover with Rest, which is very handy.

The Team

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
Mega Sableye is part one of my physical wall duo. He walls EK Arceus to no end and laughs at Mega Kangaskhan/Lucario/Mewtwo-X.Magic Bounce is a savior to stall teams. A carefully played switch in can plant rocks or status on the opposing team. Fake Out ensures I Mega Evolve safely and breaks sashes. Foul Play dents holes in physical sweepers, and Will-O-Wisp cripples them. Recover is recovery, obv. The EV's ensure maximum physical bulk. He is, in short, a stellar physical wall.

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Reflect Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Whirlwind
Lugia is part two of my physical wall duo. With Multiscale, Lugia can shrug off almost any attack at full health. Roost is for recovery and losing Flying type weaknesses. Reflect gives the team extra insurance against Swords Dance Arceus and Groudon. Ice Beam lets Lugia safely check Mega Salamence and Rayquaza. Toxic cripples just about anything it can hit. Whirlwind blows set-up sweepers away.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish Softboiled
- Protect Snatch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
Blissey can reliably sponge plenty of special attacks for the team and heal both itself and its allies with Wish and Heal Bell. Protect is obligatory with Wish and also helps scout. Wish is no longer a must for my team since everyone has some form of recovery, allowing Blissey to use Snatch, letting it wall Calm Mind and support Arceus. Toxic sets a timer on its target. Leftovers are almost always more useful than Shed Shell due to gradual recovery, particularly when Toxic stalling Primal Kyogre.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Ice Beam Toxic
- Judgment
Arceus Water ensures a clean, hazard-free field with Defog. It resists Ice Beam sleighs Mega Salamance and Rayquaza. It's specifically for Refresh Mence, who would otherwise murder this team. Judgement hits Ho-Oh, Mega Diancie, and Arceus Rock super effectively. Toxic lets Arc-Water actually do something to PDon. The above EVs give good physical bulk for dealing with Ho-Oh, and 56 Speed outspeeds Adamant Rayquaza before a Dragon Dance and anything slower.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock Rest
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Roar
Primal Groudon fits on practically any team in Ubers because of how damn good it is, and stall is no exception. Its immunity to both burns and paralysis is very handy for the team, not to mention its sealing of Water-type moves. Stealth Rock is a must for any team. Rest lets PDon recover and lose Poisoned status. Lava Plume roasts Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Arceus-Grass, ect. Earthquake is more reliable than Precipice Blades accuracy-wise, and this set can afford to lose the extra firepower. Roar lets Groudon be a reliable second phaser for the team.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Pursuit
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- King's Shield
Aegislash guards the team from various threatening special attackers that Blissey struggles to handle. Pursuit traps anything frail and weak to it, most importantly the evil Mega Gengar. Gyro Ball steamrolls Xerneas, particularly after a Geomancy boost. Toxic surprises and cripples Primal Groudon on the switch. King's Shield scouts, works well with Toxic, restores shield form, and can sharply lower attack from Knock Off, Shadow Claw, etc.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
Tyranitar is both a reliable Stealth Rock setter and blanket check to three huge threats: Mega Gengar, Ho-Oh, and Darkrai. Pursuit traps MGengar and Lati@s, KOing at full power. Rest is Tyranitar's only form of recovery, and is handy for removing burns or poison. Rock Slide is for Flying types and KOs Ho-Oh, although Ho-Oh always switches out. Chople Berry lets Tyranitar absorb a Focus Blast.​

Threats
Mega Diancie really, really screws up this team. Earth Power severely dents Primal Groudon, Diamond Storm KO's Blissey, Lugia can't do shit, ect. Arceus Water can only switch in a number of times, as Moonblast nearly 2HKOes it and is outsped.
Darkrai is a nightmare to face for stall, which sucks because it's quite popular. Yes, I can Magic Bounce Dark Void, but switching Mega Sableye in is foolish because Dark Pulse decimates it. My most common plan is to let Groudon or Arceus-Water take a Dark Void, and Toxic stall with Blissey or Rock Slide a couple times with Tyranitar, but one flinch from Dark Pulse or misplay on my part can result in a game over.
Mega Gengar is a dastardly pain in the ass. Thankfully Mega Sableye can switch into/out of Shadow Tag, and Tyranitar can take a Focus Blast and Pursuit trap it. Still, it can switch into and trap Arceus-Water and take out my Defogger if I'm not careful.
Ho-Oh teams, especially Ho-Oh balance, are usually this team's worst match-up. Arceus-Water and Tyranitar are somewhat safe switch ins, but even then they can switch in only a limited number of times, and both fear being burned or paralyzed. Choice Band in particular can deal huge chunks of damage.
Primal Groudon must be carefully played against, but generally isn't too threatening. Thunder Wave is a huge pain for Lugia, particularly accompanied by Rock Slide or Stone Edge. Lava Plume burns are a pain in the ass. Rock Polish and Swords Dance can pummel this team if I don't play Lugia carefully enough.
Arceus Ground with Swords Dance and EdgeQuake can sweep if I'm not careful, but generally Sableye can Will-O-Wisp and Foul Play it, or Lugia can attempt to Toxic stall if need be. Special sets, however, are very easily walled by Snatch/Toxic Blissey.
Xerneas is generally more than accounted for by this team. HOWEVER, Aromatherapy is a major pain to deal with because it wipes away all the team's status ailments, although it can be Snatched by Blissey with careful prediction.
Giratina-A, while rare (and not very good in general), can wall this team with Rest.
Mewtwo/Mewtwo Y is incredibly difficult to switch into. Blissey cannot deal with it on account of Psyshock. Tyranitar can attempt to Pursuit trap it but must be weary of Focus Blast, even with Chople Berry. Mewtwo-X, however, is significantly easier to deal with, although it can easily KO Tyranitar.
Mega Sableye, this team's flagship member, is a pain in the ass on the opposition. It must be carefully dealt with with Arceus-Water or Primal Groudon.
Conclusion
I hope you enjoy this incredibly fat stall team and I hope to eventually bring it to the top of the ladder! While not as potent as it once was, stall is still a deadly force in the Ubers metagame and an incredibly fun one to play. Any comments or suggestions from you guys will be warmly welcomed. I love the Smogon community (usually) and hope for a fantastic gen 7!​

Last edited:
This looks like a fairly standard stall team, so there's not too much to be said since it already does a good job covering a majority of the meta. However, as you mentioned, sd pdon can be a huge pain to deal with, especially since your Arceus is unable to wear it down with Toxic. I would run Toxic>Ice Beam on waterceus, this allows you to potentially Toxic stall donner while retaining coverage against Ho-Oh and Mega Diancie. While you lose coverage against Mega Mence, Reflect Lugia in conjunction with soft checks in waterceus and Roar pdon can deal with it. Notably, you need Judgment so you don't lose to sub ho-oh. Toxic also puts sd Ghostceus on a timer, which, getting to my next point, is especially threatening for this team since it hits Aegislash/Lugia super effectively and has a chance to OHKO Sableye/Blissey. Running the aforementioned toxic helps to wear it down; as well as predicting well with Blissey around sforce. Imo run more spdef on Sableye (144 with a careful nature allows you to avoid the 2hko from Mewtwo's lo fire blast), this still guarantees you live a +2 adamant earthquake from ekiller.
have fun :pimp:

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Hi man, a solidly defensive team. I'm not a fan of this style of play because there'm good move / use defensive pokemon. The team itself changes slightly with respect to other stalls you see in Ubers. I liked that Aegislash, is a Poke is not just for Xerneas, but a headache, since 50-50 Virtually every turn. Lugia is a very complicated wall to knock down thanks in part to their ability. I see you're wearing Reflect on your set, nothing wrong. But I think like Ice Beam could try instead. Dragons are always there and you never know. Both MSalamence as Rayquaza can be dangerous. It is an option to have effective response to them. Maybe it will go better this way because it gives more defensive support with the screen. Arceus Toxic water as you have said is better. Lose contact an attack but you can retrieve it with Lugia. Another option that comes to mind is Snatch Wish Blissey by Protect and by Softboiled. That would involve not heal team in these teams can be critical. I think it's better as it is in that case. Congratulations on your computer. You need to have patience to go with that out there (?)

Cynara

Banned deucer.
I agree with the above changes of running snatch softboiled blissey but with aromatherapy and toxic in slots 3 and 4 respectively, toxic > ice beam waterceus. Running Ice beam on lugia is essential on this team since you need it for rayquaza / Mence.

However a notable change that optimises your team has been left out, Tyranitar > Aegislash

You have a decent xerneas matchup with blissey and Groudon already so you can definately fit Tyranitar on this build and is pretty much a staple for stall teams and aegislash provides deadweight in a myriad of situations (allows ho-oh to come in for free, which is something you dont really want)

Running Tyranitar over aegislash gives you a more solid build, checking the mentioned Latis / gar and able to deal with any special mewtwo set it also frees Groudon-Primal from role compression, allowing it to run Rest over stealth rock, which is a nice boon for groudon as stall teams tend to struggle with Kyogre and Groudon + blissey eventually get whittled down by a well played Kyogre.

Tyranitar can run stealth rock and provide pursuit support. Tyranitar improves matchups vs ghostceus / Yveltal / Darkrai which seem very problematic for your team since you lack quite little answers for them (blissey is too little for darkrai imo) and knock off Yveltal really causes this team problems, Rest t-tar can effectively check the mentioned mons allthroughout the game and thanks to chople berry actually live a brick break / Focus blast from the mentioned mons and effectively handle them

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Payback
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
- Pursuit

Stall teams are relatively hard to use in ORAS Ubers and every build cant deal with every threat unfortuntely, Ho-oh balance is a very consistent playstyle and is still a problem for this team, though rest t-tar + waterceus will help deal with that, alot of smart playing is required to effectively deal with Ho-oh.

Good luck with your team

Wings of Night

I COULD BE BANNED!
Seeing as how this team has to deal with offensive dark types Tyranitar > Aegislash is definitely necessary. The afforementioned Set by Cranham counters non Focus Blast Yveltal and helps dealing with Mgar and Darkrai. However I would run Stone Edge/Rock Slide instead of Payback so you have a move to OHKO Ho-Oh and do more damage to Darkrai, Payback isn't really needed as Arceus-Ghost can't really beat teams with a ghost/normal core anyways because it doesn't run shadow claw anymore.

The team still struggles with CM Refresh Arceus formes (especially Darkceus) so you should run Snatch/softboiled > wish/tect to deal with them.

With Blissey not using Wish anymore you should definitely run Rest on Pdon so your team has a sort of reliable way to break Mega Sableye and beat defensive Kyogre more easily. Because Tyranitar has Stealth Rock you can easily fit Rest on Pdon.

Everything else about Toxic on Waterceus and Ice Beam Lugia has been said. The former allows you to reliably damage Pdon while the latter is better vs Mega Salamence. You really shouldn't rely on SupportCeus as your Salamence check as that thing has a chance to get 2HKOd by adamant Double Edge and Lugia is a more consistent check anyways.

Thanks you all so much for your suggestions; they really helped my team. I replaced Aegislash with Cranham's Tyranitar set, which has made my team much better prepared against Mega Gengar, Darkrai and Ho-Oh. I also implemented all the above moveset changes, which have all really helped also. Edited the team to reflect these changes and added Mega Diancie to threats because this team probably struggles the most against her now without Aegislash. I am considering replacing PDon with Life Orb Ho-Oh; if you think this would be a good/bad idea, let me know.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Thanks you all so much for your suggestions; they really helped my team. I replaced Aegislash with Cranham's Tyranitar set, which has made my team much better prepared against Mega Gengar, Darkrai and Ho-Oh. I also implemented all the above moveset changes, which have all really helped also. Edited the team to reflect these changes and added Mega Diancie to threats because this team probably struggles the most against her now without Aegislash. I am considering replacing PDon with Life Orb Ho-Oh; if you think this would be a good/bad idea, let me know.
This is not a great idea, Pdon is pretty much essential on the build to deal with kyogre, waterceus handles diancie, and ho-oh makes the diancie situation worse. aswell as weakening it vs other notable threats.

This is not a great idea, Pdon is pretty much essential on the build to deal with kyogre, waterceus handles diancie, and ho-oh makes the diancie situation worse. aswell as weakening it vs other notable threats.
Good point, thanks. Keeping PDon

This was done by me and kebabe a bit more than a year ago (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sample-teams-mega-thread-generations-3-4-5-and-6.3550998/). It's kinda funny how people try to fix your previous version only to make it the same team... Oh well. The team was made in an era where people were stuck in a very closed mindset regarding bulkier teams. Often teams lacked actual offensive synergy because they focused on improving match ups vs offense (standard HO was even more popular at that time) without the right tools. I can recall a live tour where Kebabe 6-0ed around 5 pretty competent players in a row. It definitely had its moments...

This team isn't particularly viable in the current meta, however, especially against people who know what they are doing. Hex Gengar practically is a guaranteed win, and the increased usage of LO Deoxys-A in tour play also makes it an iffy choice (Superpower+Psycho Boost+Ice Beam+Extremespeed has you having to predict carefully, even if running chople ttar). Additional newer metagame trends like Jolly CB Ray, Jolly SR+SD Pdon and even GK Latios (not particularly new tbf) are all painful mons to play around. Also some traditional offensive cores, like the one-two punch of Diancie+Ho-oh also gives the team a run for its money due to the over-reliance on Arceus-Water.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)