May 2012 Usage Stats

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Then don't spin on Mienfoo. As Staryu, you can choose when to remove hazards, while Natu is forced to switch in every time a potential hazard setter is out. Prediction also costs less on Staryu, as it has Recover and Natural Cure. While Natu has Roost, since it is forced into switching in so much, it will certainly be taking a lot more hits.

That's the problem though, you can't choose when to spin with staryu because pretty much every offensive mon in the tier threatens it.

No, you're not forced to switch natu into a hazard setter. You're only forced to switch into natu if you are relying on it and, as I said earlier, natu is more like a bonus which you shouldn't rely on. In fact, it's quite unlikely that the opponent (if they have any experience) will even click the hazard button if he knows natu is on your team so as long as you have something that can threaten the hazard setter (which, on an offensive team you should have), then you don't actually directly have to use natu to block them. And it doesn't really require any more prediction tbh than a spinner, if anything, it needs less.

I'm by no means saying, if it isn't clear, that spinners aren't good, I'm just saying that natu is a better option for certain teams and situations.

Ok I think this is getting a bit ridiculous now, especially since we're saying a lot of untrue things and are kind of arguing about nothing at this point.

So how 'bout them Yankees

Let's talk about something more interesting. What's your favorite low usage mons? I'm seeing a lot of really cool Pokemon low in the listing, like Clamperl, Axew (our CCAT!!), Elekid, and Shelmet. Which ones do you like to use? Why do you think these Pokemon aren't being used? Their speed? Bulk? Weaknesses? People have other shit they want to use instead?

We have a lot of fun Pokemon that just aren't getting much recognition. Why do you think that is?

Thanks blarajan for changing the topic.
Munchlax is the nuts guys start using it. It counters missy, and 2hkos like half the tier. Being a Normal-type is kind of bad but you like do so much damage to mienfoo on the switch. Is Clamperl good? Ive wanted to try it but it seems terrible in practice

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've really liked using Abra. You've got that ability to live essentially any attack with Focus Sash and Protect, and it's crazy underestimated in terms of its power. If you can get over stuff such as Murkrow and Vullaby, you are totally in the driver's site in terms of handling the vast majority of the LC metagame tailored to handle physical threats. Of course, a Life Orb set with Charge Beam is also more than viable, and I know that's a super fun lure set that I've been using as well, but I digress...

Well, i agree munchlax is a great mon as with body slam mienfoo is likely to die with its second switch in(if not on the first) and its HP gives it physical bulk comparable to nosepass.

Anyways, teddiursa needs more usage, quick feet, amazing attacks, decent bulk, no excuse not to use it. I've been using a restalk set to some sucess but the unreliability of sleep talk sucks.

Anorithe,

good speed, good moves(support and decent coverage moves with good STABs), good boosting moves, decent bulk, good attack.

Batton pass seems highly underrated, i've been using a venonat/natu/mienfoo passing core with a teddiursa recipient. Have something to kill hippopatotatos and you have a win right there, natu and mienfoo synergize well while passing each other bulk up and calm mind boosts while booth have healing, venonat passes the speed. Probably the biggest mistake people make is trying to get to +6 and not using sub on every pokemon. Often all you need is +2, bulk up mienfoo also trolls scraggy with drain punch and that +2 speed so you wont be dead meat to that thing.

Oddish,

Good bulk, good special attack, good support moves, good dual stab which is unresisted with HP fire and chlorophyll to make up for its speed. Believe it or not if this thing gets a sunny day you can just say goodbye to half your team.

Edit: aipom is boss with good bulk and speed and attack, and houndour(try switch in and dodging a 2HKO, seriously.)

I've been messing around with exeggute for a bit now and I must say I've been very impressed. Sleep powder coupled with decent enough speed, auto-recovery, and a solid special attack is actually really dangerous. Just keep it away from u-turn and it works wonders.

@sir, in my experience, munchie doesn't really counter missy seeing as his best dark attack is pursuit and so many misdreavus carry w-o-w. Munchlax is still very good though.

Clamperl just destroys teams. It's actually got decent bulk even without eviolite so revenge killing it with priority once it has smashed is actually a lot easier said than done and sucker punch can be avoided with substitute as it only needs surf and ice beam to destroy everything. I haven't used it yet, but that's all I can say from playing against a good player with it :S

But then you're "walled" by water-types, though some weak ones you can still OHKO with Surf. Mostly Frillish and stuff will wall you.

I also think Ferroseed survives an Ice Beam.

It's either being walled by frillish and rest-talk chou or having a chance against sucker punchers and faster scarfers. Just taste I guess.

Well you still have your boosting move to spam......idk. Doesn't seem super worth it.

I've been using a defensive Tentacool and it's been working pretty well. Surf still does quite a bit and Knock Off helps fuck over stuff like Croagunk and Misdreavus that switch in. My team basically wins if Toxic Spikes go up and there's no Poison-type left, and Tentacool is reliable at getting them up while also reliably Rapid Spinning other hazards away.

Liquid Ooze makes every single Leech Seeder, Drain Puncher, and Giga Drainer hate you too.

Spamming shell smash is not a good place to be against a sucker puncher IMO, but I guess it's still down to taste. I was actually considering using exeggute with tentacool support. With harvest and substitute, you can probably stall a heck of a lot of things out with some t-spikes support.

Ray Jay

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Frillish is the most underrated thing ever. I use Cursed Body so I can spam Recover and serve as a spinblocker. I also wreck Mienfoo daily, if they have Knock Off sweet they get burned, also kill unsuspecting Misdreavus that think they can OHKO Frillish at full health in my spare time, and when Frillish isn't doing that he likes sipping chamomile, because he's a gentlemen.

Don't say "use Misdreavus instead," dual Ghost is where it's at; heck, even triple Ghost is viable in this metagame.

Frillish is the most underrated thing ever. I use Cursed Body so I can spam Recover and serve as a spinblocker. I also wreck Mienfoo daily, if they have Knock Off sweet they get burned, also kill unsuspecting Misdreavus that think they can OHKO Frillish at full health in my spare time, and when Frillish isn't doing that he likes sipping chamomile, because he's a gentlemen.

Don't say "use Misdreavus instead," dual Ghost is where it's at; heck, even triple Ghost is viable in this metagame.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4246863&postcount=15

Fortune teller

To bring up some discussion, what is everyone's opinion on drilburr. I've been finding that it makes sand really common and very repetitive and somewhat tedious to play against. Also, it doesn't actually have a real counter. Bronzor I believe is 2hkoed by a +2 x-scissor. I think this guy needs looking at again tbh.

The Bronzor in the analysis is, but it can have like 3 more points in Defense if it wanted. Earthquake 2HKOes. I also don't like using X-Scissor because you need Shadow Claw and Murkrow / Vullaby / Taillow / any other Flying and not Psychic or Ghost Pokemon will beat you if you don't have Rock Slide. Considering you don't actually beat Bronzor......You also need Swords Dance and I'm not exactly a fan of using that either.

This brings up the biggest point against Drilbur: 4mss. He can't use Swords Dance and have perfect coverage. He can't beat Sucker Punchers without using Substitute. He can beat Fake Out users without using Protect. He can't even dent Bronzor without X-Scissor and Swords Dance. He can't safely beat bulky things Hippopotas without Swords Dance LO Earthquake. He can't safely survive "anything" without Eviolite. He can't KO a lot of Pokemon without Life Orb. The list goes on. He's very restricted in this way.

Sandshrew on the other hand is a fucking beast.

Well I've been running 18 defense with an extra point in HP and it just isn't working at taking on drilburr. :L

Drilburr, while it is easy to take on once you get something in safely, the problem is just that, getting it in safely without drilburr boosting up/outright killing you. A +2 EQ coming off 19 attack which can't be revenge-killed by any scarfer bar snover will demolish pretty much everything on an offensive team and a hell of a lot on a stall team too if you run magnemite. Even just switching in on a non-boosted LO attack is tough.

To me, it feels like sand has too many pros. You *ahem* are forced to take one of the best physical walls in the tier while being able to have anti-leftovers against the opposition and an absurdly good revenge-killer which has no fool-proof counter (even more so if you are running the common magnemite with them) that can also sweep (and now, you can effectively type-stack and run two) and having access to the best special sponge bar none in the tier too.

When you look back at it, there's really no competitive reason not to be using sand in LC and it makes the tier very tedious I feel. Sure, you are forced to take one or two more ice, water, and grass weaknesses, but there's virturally only one dangerous user of grass and ice STAB attacks, snover, and with chinchou, croagunk, and especially lileep being excellent/common (or both) choices, water is non-issue.

I don't mind sand as a playstyle, it just feels like it's too good in the current LC enviroment, mostly due to sandrush.

Well I'm not sure this is the right place to discuss this because it's not about stats.....maybe someone can move this conversation to the megathread if they care enough.

Well I've been running 18 defense with an extra point in HP and it just isn't working at taking on drilburr. :L
Honestly, I don't know how you're managing that .....

If it really isn't working, use Murkrow or something else immune to Ground and not weak to Ghost or Bug. Then absolutely zero Drilburs can sweep you regardless of damage rolls.

spuds4ever said:
Drilburr, while it is easy to take on once you get something in safely, the problem is just that, getting it in safely without drilburr boosting up/outright killing you. A +2 EQ coming off 19 attack which can't be revenge-killed by any scarfer bar snover will demolish pretty much everything on an offensive team and a hell of a lot on a stall team too if you run magnemite. Even just switching in on a non-boosted LO attack is tough.
If you let a powerful and frail pokemon set up then it's not going to sweep you because it's broken, it's going to sweep you because you got outplayed. Also it's very easy to revenge kill, especially without Substitute. You just use one of the many viable priority users. You think too one-dimensional and that does not fly in LC the way it does in OU / UU / etc. and nor should it.
spuds4ever said:
To me, it feels like sand has too many pros. You *ahem* are forced to take one of the best physical walls in the tier while being able to have anti-leftovers against the opposition and an absurdly good revenge-killer which has no fool-proof counter (even more so if you are running the common magnemite with them) that can also sweep (and now, you can effectively type-stack and run two) and having access to the best special sponge bar none in the tier too.
Anti-leftovers? Are you kidding? I was tempted to stop reading there.

Well, it seems you're changing your argument as I push your main one out of the way. You went from just Drilbur to "all of SS".

It seems the core you have a problem with is: Hippopotas / Lileep / Drilbur (/Sandshrew).

Use Ice Beam? Use a Grass-type? Or, use Eviolite Mienfoo, the most common Pokemon in the metagame? Use Sub NP Misdreavus, you can't really lose to Lileep. Use Murkrow, especially prankster feather dance etc, but you can also just us LO and OHKO them all minus Hippopotas who can't switch in. I mean there are so many single Pokemon that viable counters to this group of 4 Pokemon which is 2/3rds of its entire team. I mean, Snover.....well yea use Snover if you really want.

I won't lie, that is still a good core despite it's obvious weaknesses, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to call something broken that is so easily countered.
spuds4ever said:
When you look back at it, there's really no competitive reason not to be using sand in LC and it makes the tier very tedious I feel. Sure, you are forced to take one or two more ice, water, and grass weaknesses, but there's virturally only one dangerous user of grass and ice STAB attacks, snover, and with chinchou, croagunk, and especially lileep being excellent/common (or both) choices, water is non-issue.
Well sand is an excellent ladder tool for that reason. The same reason in higher tiers there are other formulaic teams that let you easymode ladder. However, when it comes to actually playing against a good battler you're often better off using something that isn't so easy to counter team. Not that sand doesn't have ways of its own beating its counters, but you're not going to have an easy time without outplaying your opponent. I can tell you first hand.

So yea, competitively you don't want to use a team that's easy to counter team unless you're laddering where most people won't be able to just know your team and counter it until you're somewhat successful already. You can only get so far just using sand.

Ray Jay

I feel like I don't like using sand. I still believe in my boy (well actually it's genderless) Staryu, and sand totes has its counters. I don't feel like I have to use sand to win, either...

The other thing is sandstorm teams flow nicely in the teambuilding phase. With Hippopotas / Drilbur / Grass-type you can already have most of your bases covered, including Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, maybe Spikes if you use Ferroseed, maybe even some Toxics in there, and phazing with Hippo. Other teams have to try harder to attain this, and I think people are frankly not putting in much effort when teambuilding.

Be like blarajan and use Trace Scarf Porygon or something if you are having that much trouble.

Actually use Snover and Lickitung OMG so cute

EDIT: OMG OMG OMG 1.234 k post

Well, seeing as magnemite is very often run in that core, your list suddenly becomes a hell of a lot shorter.

Either way, I probably did exaggerate, I just find it a bit annoying how common sand is and how easy it is for it to patch up on its weaknesses that everyone is using pretty much the same team over and over.

Let's not talk about banning or things broken right now, okkayyyy? Let's enjoy this time to explore the new tutors and releases and its impact on Little Cup, and go for DISCUSSION and not "fuck sand."

also last meta offensive Porygon was shit and I refuse to bend on that. But oh my Scarf Porygon rapes the moles so hard it's not even funny hahaha.

okay it's kind of funny

Sure thing. I just find enjoying this time is hampered by sand is all.

Anyway, how's testing of new stuff been going for everyone? I'm personally going to be running a revamp of my bulky DD dratini with marvel scale and sleep talk. Axew wasn't the only dragon to get some shiny toys and dratini should impress I think, especially with magnemite support.

dratini would much prefer shed skin i think, that 50% boost to defenses is nice but that 30% chance to wake up on the first turn and 51% on the second is awesome. But bulky dratini is amazing, i got a tone of boosts with it easily, the only thing that stopped me was confuse ray bronzor, it put me off using it.
Anyways sleep talk is nice to selecting dragon tail after a few boosts, you phaze them before they even move 1/3 of the time. That the chance of scald burning and paralysis kicking in, but then again we all know sleep talk has a liking for rest.

Ray Jay

dratini would much prefer shed skin i think, that 50% boost to defenses is nice but that 30% chance to wake up on the first turn and 51% on the second is awesome. But bulky dratini is amazing, i got a tone of boosts with it easily, the only thing that stopped me was confuse ray bronzor, it put me off using it.
I thought this too, but I learned the hard way that I was wrong. Dragon is unbelievable typing right now, and 50% defense boost with that is unreal. You could almost go completely defensive in your EV spread, then just wait for Sleep Talk to select Dragon Dance a certain number of times. Once Steel-types are outta the way, this guy is such a boss I can't even put it into words. Definitely one of my new favorite Pokemon I've seen with the additions from BW2.

K next question: Foongus: hot or not

Anyways sleep talk is nice to selecting dragon tail after a few boosts, you phaze them before they even move 1/3 of the time. That the chance of scald burning and paralysis kicking in, but then again we all know sleep talk has a liking for rest.
Having used both rather thoroughly, I'd say I prefer marvel scale. As Ray said, the 50% boost is amazing and makes dratini extremely tough to take down safely considering how good dragon typing is in LC. Shed Skin is nice, but it isn't as reliable as marvel scale IMO. Btw, I'll probably need to update my dratini analysis to include that soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)